Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Yaz

Learned
As far as I am aware he's generally reluctant to put Underrail on sale as the increased exposure of the game leads to more negative reviews.

I remember some years ago him posting on the website asking the long-standing community to post their reviews as the latest Steam sale period had left Underrail with a streak of negative ones.

HansDampf

Arcane
Uh... How do I trigger the quest in SGS where Harland sends you to investigate the missing security camera? Does it even exist? Before I started the game proper I did a quick test run, played the game for a few hours to see how combat and everything works, to decide what type of character I want to make. I remember that I got this quest from Harland, and that one camera was missing. There was also a hole in the wall nearby that led to a small cave. But with my second character I can't get this quest. The cameras are all intact. And there is no hole in the wall. No cave. Then I checked the wiki, but there is no mention of this quest either! And the page about Harland is basically empty. Am I crazy? Did I just dream about this quest or what? I don't have the save anymore.

madhouse

I've had two different outcomes for the CCTV quest. One was a psionic going ER on his smuggler buddies who've been bullying him and another one with them being held hostage by plasma bots.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
What game have you guys been playing? I'm four characters in and I've only ever seen changes in the Water Treatment Plant and either the Dark Dwellers between the Outposts, the Sentry Facility on the way to Mushroom Cove and the Azuridae Nursery.

Is that stuff just waiting to be discovered out there in the game world?

madhouse

What game have you guys been playing? I'm four characters in and I've only ever seen changes in the Water Treatment Plant and either the Dark Dwellers between the Outposts, the Sentry Facility on the way to Mushroom Cove and the Azuridae Nursery.

Is that stuff just waiting to be discovered out there in the game world?
Just some random stuff. A small dungeon either appearing south of the Crossroads or inside the facility where you rescue Newton (?). In the former location I also encountered on one ocassion a fake box with two kamikaze bots inside. There's a fish merchant right before Junkyard that I've only seen once too.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I always set my expectations with games like these beforehand, in that I know I'm going to have to start over several times before the game "clicks" and I create a build that 1) I like and 2) doesn't suck. I tend to do meat-and-potatoes builds on my first playthroughs as well -- I don't get too creative. So having written that, I'm coming to the realization that a good first-build is an assault rifle/armor build, based on my experience and what I've read.

I have some random questions for the group:

1) Am I right? Is assault rifle/armor a good build for a beginner? If so, what are the good crafting skills that work in tandem with this style?
2) I've been through every level of SGS and talked to everyone -- where's the first place I should I go? Is there a game path/outline/suggested order of events?
3) I've turned on the power generator and lit up three stations. Is there any benefit to lighting up all five?
4) I'm very much enjoying the old-school Fallout feeling of having no armor, very low ammo, and every fight feeling like it could be my last.
5) I'm still using a .44 that got from a persuasion check from the armorer in the beginning. When can I hope to get an assault rifle?
6) Is there any decent way to repair my gun without spending money on a mechanical repair kit, which I currently can not afford?
7) I've been using my .44 to kill rathounds . . . is this a waste? I'm thinking back to Fallout 2 where even if you had a pistol, you were better off saving your ammo when killing things like rats in the beginning. Even with a shit melee skill you could punch rats to death, but I get the sense that is not the case here.

Parabalus

Arcane
I always set my expectations with games like these beforehand, in that I know I'm going to have to start over several times before the game "clicks" and I create a build that 1) I like and 2) doesn't suck. I tend to do meat-and-potatoes builds on my first playthroughs as well -- I don't get too creative. So having written that, I'm coming to the realization that a good first-build is an assault rifle/armor build, based on my experience and what I've read.

I have some random questions for the group:

1) Am I right? Is assault rifle/armor a good build for a beginner? If so, what are the good crafting skills that work in tandem with this style?
2) I've been through every level of SGS and talked to everyone -- where's the first place I should I go? Is there a game path/outline/suggested order of events?
3) I've turned on the power generator and lit up three stations. Is there any benefit to lighting up all five?
4) I'm very much enjoying the old-school Fallout feeling of having no armor, very low ammo, and every fight feeling like it could be my last.
5) I'm still using a .44 that got from a persuasion check from the armorer in the beginning. When can I hope to get an assault rifle?
6) Is there any decent way to repair my gun without spending money on a mechanical repair kit, which I currently can not afford?
7) I've been using my .44 to kill rathounds . . . is this a waste? I'm thinking back to Fallout 2 where even if you had a pistol, you were better off saving your ammo when killing things like rats in the beginning. Even with a shit melee skill you could punch rats to death, but I get the sense that is not the case here.
  1. Yes, it's simple and generally one of the stronger builds. They're all useful, but the main one is mechanics for weapons, armors and bullets. A few points in chemistry for molotovs (incendiary grenades) makes the early game much more palatable.
  2. Until you find the drill component you are somewhat locked in. Just go where you don't get killed, but easiest to follow Tanner's quests.
  3. You get more money. A note that quests in this game are easy to fail, with not much acknowledgement of the fact.
  4. Part of the charm. Just when you think you got over the hurdle it'll come back and bite you in the ass.
  5. You can craft one immediately if you go to Junkyard, either walk to it or from the docks. But you'll likely be strapped for cash.
  6. You can craft the repair kit using mechanics
  7. Probably, but unless you're on the last difficulty the money isn't that tight. You might be able to do the same here with a high quality armor suit, but it's mostly a waste.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
5) Aside from buying or crafting one, check Under-passages. There is a Lurker with a Marauder rifle and another one with Anti-rifle overcoat. This things are of utmost importance to the brr build in early game
6) Nope. The only way to repair items is buy or craft repair kits - and full-specced disassemble, which comes no earlier than lvl 20
7) .44 ammo is kinda expensive in early game, but using fence-abuse, bear traps and molotovs it doesn't matter much

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Absolutely, a well-built tincan can tank through anything and shred through everything. You'll have to get used to waiting out everyone else's actions first though. Only essentials are Mechanics for guns and Tailoring for armor, after that it's just a matter of what you'd rather craft than buy from someone. Electronics can get you a better shield for tanking and Chemistry can you better more specialized grenades and bullets for slaughtering.
You won't have to worry about that until you finish Tanners' errand to Junkyard. After that there's no strictly optimal path... but tracking down Jack and Abram in Core City and visiting Rail Crossing is advisable. Before you sign on with one of the companies in Core City.
Nothin' but extra credits from Tanner.
Do a stealth/crossbow build after this one.
Before you inevitably head out to GMS, make a trek to Junkyard. If you've been investing in mechanics then the 3 to 4 weapon merchants there should have all the parts you'll need, as well as everything for a suit of metal armor.
I think Harold on level 7 sells the blueprints for recycling items and repair kits. You won't be able to haul and sell all the looted guns lying around, that's a good way to make use of them.
Not unless you're on dominating. But you'll want to start hoarding all the relevant ammo calibers you can if you're going for a burst AR build, you'll burn through that stuff and not even know it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

The first two crafting formulas I buy are recycle items and repair kits. Just recycle all knives and low value fire arms into scrap metal and build repair kits to your hearts desire.

Also don't be like that guy a few pages ago who didn't find the initial repair kits in the lockers in you quarters.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

The first two crafting formulas I buy are recycle items and repair kits. Just recycle all knives and low value fire arms into scrap metal and build repair kits to your hearts desire.

Also don't be like that guy a few pages ago who didn't find the initial repair kits in the lockers in you quarters.

Is this randomized? Because I looted everything from my quarters and I got no repair kits.

ETA: Motherfucker, I just went back to my quarters and there was a locker I didn't open. The only one I didn't open. And it had repair kits and armor and flares. I am ashamed, time for sepukku.

madhouse

Is there even any point in playing dominating difficulty? From my understanding lots of things become useless, like being a tank or having any evasive or dodge skills. Only real way to win is to not be hit in the first place by focusing on a build that can get the highest possible AP with the highest posslby critical chance. I guess hard is more fun because it allows for more builds that are viable and doesn't require metagaming everything. This is the first game in a long time that I've played where the hardest difficulty is actually really hard. I'm realizing my ideas of running a dodge/evasion or tanks don't really hold up. I'll try again after I've beaten the game on several hard runs.
Is this randomized? Because I looted everything from my quarters and I got no repair kits.
Strange. I've started the game with at least 10 different characters and I always found 2 (iirc, maybe 1) repair kits in my room.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
From my understanding lots of things become useless, like being a tank or having any evasive or dodge skills. Only real way to win is to not be hit in the first place by focusing on a build that can get the highest possible AP with the highest posslby critical chance.
Tanks not legit? Have you seen Sheepherder tank build? Enemies even run out of ammo there. If you take his build, but replace grenades with AR it will be quite easy overall.

Parabalus

Arcane
Before you sign on with one of the companies in Core City.

Why before? Do they go away otherwise?
By the time you meet an oligarch and are dispatched to the research facility, Six will have left Oculus. You can only meet him pre-institute if you make it to Oculus before then.

But that's completely different from having to do Jack and Abram's quests before signing up to an oligarch.

Black Angel

Arcane
Before you sign on with one of the companies in Core City.

Why before? Do they go away otherwise?
By the time you meet an oligarch and are dispatched to the research facility, Six will have left Oculus. You can only meet him pre-institute if you make it to Oculus before then.

But that's completely different from having to do Jack and Abram's quests before signing up to an oligarch.
Do you mean holding back from doing Jack's and Abram's quests until you've done the research facility would make Six stay as you start rolling through their questline at that point in time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom