Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Yaz

Learned
Thank you. Here are the crash reports.

Wow... even a perfunctory search reveals that Underrail is having a lot more issues on GoG than on Steam...

It's a small thing and it might not be it, but several users are reporting that Galaxy ran better and resolved problems they had with various games - Underrail included - when they installed XNA redistributable. It could be a corrupt installation that does not have the chance of repairing itself well.

Care to give it a try?

Microsoft XNA Redistributable 4.0 Refresh is what they went for, apparently.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Thank you. Here are the crash reports.

Wow... even a perfunctory search reveals that Underrail is having a lot more issues on GoG than on Steam...

It's a small thing and it might not be it, but several users are reporting that Galaxy ran better and resolved problems they had with various games - Underrail included - when they installed XNA redistributable. It could be a corrupt installation that does not have the chance of repairing itself well.

Care to give it a try?

Microsoft XNA Redistributable 4.0 Refresh is what they went for, apparently.

It's installed automatically along with the game. I'll try to download it separately and THEN install the game.

Yaz

Learned
It's installed automatically along with the game. I'll try to download it separately and THEN install the game.

And also do a file verification after that.

If it doesn't work I think you should take that info and bug the Stygians further with it :)

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Why not drop will to 5 and max dex?
A lot of damage and skill points, not to mention THC.

Also, you'll be relying on LoS to the extremes, with 6 AGI and no stealth as a melee build.
Hmm, tbh I didn't do that because I wanted the PSI to do damage and be more than just a stun/crit bot. IDK, anyone have any numbers on the damage dropoff on PSI when you go from 10 Will to 5 versus 15 Dex to 18?
If you want psi to be the damage dealer, why are you going 13 dex? Put more points in will.

Hard to have both doing meaningful damage.
Issue is that on DOM with non-max melee attribute your THC against non-CCed targets will be abysmal, so it's not recommended, especially since sword uses Flurry.
Really disagree with the damage part, crit builds with a sword have plenty of damage from the crits alone, I can attest to that as Im playing a sword build with 10 dex right now. Carnifex went down in 3 turns for me.

Accuracy is not really changed much going from 10 to 13 dex, just tested this out on some Coretech Runners and JKK guys using cheat engine to change my stats: with 10 dex 63% chance to hit coretech guy, 67% chance to hit JKK guy. 13 dex 68% chance to hit coretech guy, 71% chance to hit JKK guy. Even with full dex investment (18 dex) THC for coretech guy was still only 74%, 77% for the JKK guy. My character is level 24 at the moment with full investment in melee so far. Not that big enough of a difference to justify 13 dex over 10 imo.

Keep in mind these are enemies with high dodge/evasion, praetorian dudes with full metal armor are 95% chance to hit with 10 dex. And since Chon is invested in psychokinesis focusing on electrokinesis, stunning high dodge enemies like those should be easy for him, thus negating the problem those types of enemies pose in terms of accuracy.

Really don't think its worth going 13 dex instead of putting those points into will, since you will still have very high damage with 10 dex and you wanted psi to be your main damage dealer.

Parabalus

Arcane

Also, you'll be relying on LoS to the extremes, with 6 AGI and no stealth as a melee build.
Hmm, tbh I didn't do that because I wanted the PSI to do damage and be more than just a stun/crit bot. IDK, anyone have any numbers on the damage dropoff on PSI when you go from 10 Will to 5 versus 15 Dex to 18?
If you want psi to be the damage dealer, why are you going 13 dex? Put more points in will.

Issue is that on DOM with non-max melee attribute your THC against non-CCed targets will be abysmal, so it's not recommended, especially since sword uses Flurry.
Really disagree with the damage part, crit builds with a sword have plenty of damage from the crits alone, I can attest to that as Im playing a sword build with 10 dex right now. Carnifex went down in 3 turns for me.

Accuracy is not really changed much going from 10 to 13 dex, just tested this out on some Coretech Runners and JKK guys using cheat engine to change my stats: with 10 dex 63% chance to hit coretech guy, 67% chance to hit JKK guy. 13 dex 68% chance to hit coretech guy, 71% chance to hit JKK guy. Even with full dex investment (18 dex) THC for coretech guy was still only 74%, 77% for the JKK guy. My character is level 24 at the moment with full investment in melee so far. Not that big enough of a difference to justify 13 dex over 10 imo.

Keep in mind these are enemies with high dodge/evasion, praetorian dudes with full metal armor are 95% chance to hit with 10 dex. And since Chon is invested in psychokinesis focusing on electrokinesis, stunning high dodge enemies like those should be easy for him, thus negating the problem those types of enemies pose in terms of accuracy.

Really don't think its worth going 13 dex instead of putting those points into will, since you will still have very high damage with 10 dex and you wanted psi to be your main damage dealer.

So it's around 20% THC difference at lvl 30, a bit less?

What's paperdoll damage with red dragon on your guy, along with your current melee skill? I have a L29 save so I'd like to compare.

Last edited:

Yaz

Learned
OK, did what you advised. Nothing. Crashes when opening Oddities.

Styg Fix this shit.

BTW, this is something that came out concerning the first crash report posted on your thread.

''well, its a runtime exception from a game
in terms of code, the game tried to save a duplicated entry into a list
the game has some data sorted in a dictionary (list)
and then it tried to put something with the same name twice into it, which crashed the game''

On the slight off-chance, it might help somewhat if you include it.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

What's paperdoll damage with red dragon on your guy, along with your current melee skill? I have a L29 save so I'd like to compare.
I think the THC gap between 10 dex and 18 dex would remain sort of consistent across all enemies. So I'd say the gap of 10-11% THC between 10 and 18 dex when attacking a coretech runner would apply to most enemies with similar dodge levels. So I wouldn't say 20%, more like 11%, though it depends on the enemy I suppose.

I haven't gotten red dragon yet, but once I get it I'll try it out.

CHEMS

Scholar
Would a stealthy samurai with SI and versatility and methatermics fuckery would work? I'm gonna try it, but not on dominating.

Parabalus

Arcane

I think the THC gap between 10 dex and 18 dex would remain sort of consistent across all enemies. So I'd say the gap of 10-11% THC between 10 and 18 dex when attacking a coretech runner would apply to most enemies with similar dodge levels. So I wouldn't say 20%, more like 11%, though it depends on the enemy I suppose.

I haven't gotten red dragon yet, but once I get it I'll try it out.

I looked at it a bit with https://underrail.info/junk/precision.html.

With 339 Melee I have 78% THC against a Coretech Runner, which puts him at 237-259 Dodge. With 10 DEX you'd have 234 Melee giving you 68 THC.

For the THC difference to be 20% the defender would need double the dodge, around 500.

Dunno what the numbers are like for enemies on DOM.

Would a stealthy samurai with SI and versatility and methatermics fuckery would work? I'm gonna try it, but not on dominating.

Versatility on what, DEX? Kinda hard on attributes since you want 5 WILL and need 6 INT and 5 STR.

CHEMS

Scholar
Versatility on what, DEX? Kinda hard on attributes since you want 5 WILL and need 6 INT and 5 STR.

Yeah, DEX. I don't think it would work so good, so i would not try on dominating. Never actually invested much time in melee builds per se, is it possible to have a consistent crit rate without SI?

Parabalus

Arcane

Yeah, DEX. I don't think it would work so good, so i would not try on dominating. Never actually invested much time in melee builds per se, is it possible to have a consistent crit rate without SI?

With DEX swords around 33% with infused rathound armor, no consumables.

I think a SI build would be better suited for another melee weapon, since they don't have the WILL and INT tax. Though even with that you'd be hard pressed to get everything you want.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just tried Dominating for the first time. I've never 'lost' at an RPG before! Was too profligate with consumables and simply ran out of resources, as well as being unable to win that fit just past the trapdoor in GMS against the two bandits. No room to exploit with mines or grenades there....
Fascinating game compared to Hard!

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I don't understand how you people play pure melee builds for THC are abysmal. I have 75% even against trapped and stunned enemies and this is outrage. I have better THC with Hammerer even with just 60% of melee skill. It so refreshing to see 95% against coil spiders but so far everyone has some dodge - even with fucking Chop Chop, huge fucking robot, my THC was 75% max.

So far Hammerer + knives build really lends itself to more using of the knives. Pistol feats are locked from me because of low factual skill so I better off picking some knife feats - took Vile Weaponry and it really pays off. Although lack of powerful alpha-strike is painful, each fight requires some preparation.

Cleared Hecate outpost at level 16 - and it was a breeze compared to the most fights I had recently. Spiders don't clump together so I could shank each of them from stealth and for some reason they are the only motherfuckers without any dodge skill.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Started expedition, fought the first invasion, remembered how many fucking nets these native Svens like to throw, had to reload a save before I got level 24 to get escape artist. Bastards. I had to give up grenadier for that.

Sykar

Arcane
I don't understand how you people play pure melee builds for THC are abysmal. I have 75% even against trapped and stunned enemies and this is outrage. I have better THC with Hammerer even with just 60% of melee skill. It so refreshing to see 95% against coil spiders but so far everyone has some dodge - even with fucking Chop Chop, huge fucking robot, my THC was 75% max.

So far Hammerer + knives build really lends itself to more using of the knives. Pistol feats are locked from me because of low factual skill so I better off picking some knife feats - took Vile Weaponry and it really pays off. Although lack of powerful alpha-strike is painful, each fight requires some preparation.

Cleared Hecate outpost at level 16 - and it was a breeze compared to the most fights I had recently. Spiders don't clump together so I could shank each of them from stealth and for some reason they are the only motherfuckers without any dodge skill.

That is weird, stunned enemies should not be able to dodge or evade:
https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stunned
"Being unable to perform any actions means stunned targets cannot act during their turns nor dodge/evade attacks during enemy turns."

CHEMS

Scholar
Funniest part is how their nets and acid entanglement ignores stasis.

That made me rage a lot in the savaga ambush outside joint security. Everything goes well until that fag goes and entangles you for 190 damage a turn.

Yaz

Learned
The Abandoned Waterways are super worth it to be done asap... I wonder what would be the earliest one could loot the place.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
That is weird, stunned enemies should not be able to dodge or evade:
https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stunned
"Being unable to perform any actions means stunned targets cannot act during their turns nor dodge/evade attacks during enemy turns."
Lol, my fault. Didn't noticed that Butcher Cleaver has 5 minimal STR requirement, so -20% penalty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom