Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ony my second Oddity Dominating attempt. This time, I got through the GMS compound.
1st level rathounds - just run back to your SGS pals and they kill them for you
2nd level security bots - almost fully stealthed this but I did use an EMP grenade to destroy the camera near the trapdoor in order to stealth down it right past the adjacent bot. Don't have to come back up that way, so never have to fight here.
3rd level bandits - I got filtered yesterday by the first two in the first room, this time I used a tranquilizing bolt on the crossbowwoman and a throwing net on the knifeman.
As for the rest of the level, the auto-turret you can turn on doesn't have to be limited to just killing the three nearest guards. After killing those first three I placed a bunch of bear traps outside the entrance to the main room, then turned the auto-turret back on, then snuck out past it via the air ducts, shot into the main room, and ran. All the bandits got taken out by the bear traps plus the turret, except for the leader, who I kited with Quick Tinkering bear traps.

Being able to hack a turret to fight your enemies isn't the special part, what's special is you can watch it through the security camera screens, AND you can create a route to sneak past it and bait other enemies onto it, completely against what the dialogue suggested (you're recommended to just turn it off after it kills the first few).

This is so vastly superior to playing Cave Wizard on Hard. That playthrough was 90% cryokinesis kiting with some mass enrage cheese. This time, I have to manage weapon durability, ammo, grenades, throwing nets, special crossbow bolts (I'm using versatility feat to reduce the risk of running out of ammo), traps, and so on. Beating multiple Azuridae as a level 3 character is
sweatonmybrow.png

Also, to even get to GMS without having to waste ammo and molotovs, I went via the lower passages and used some stealth. The fact that the entire game world has moderate verticality, instead of being a 2d map, is exceptional! Fallout's Vaults are cool, but they in fact aren't as cool as SGS, which has two entrances, one a whole map level higher than the other.

Best RPG ever!?!? Lilura should cover this game on xir blog more. There's already a review of it, but it deserves full IE-tier coverage. It is simply superior in terms of mechanics and gameplay, its only weakness compared to Fallout is the aesthetic. World-building is arguably better than Fallout, though the main storyline is perhaps a little inferior.

Lilura's blog said:
• My female character has been referred to as male more than once.
oh..... STYG KNEW!

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
3rd level bandits - I got filtered yesterday by the first two in the first room, this time I used a tranquilizing bolt on the crossbowwoman and a throwing net on the knifeman.
Third level is easy if you go in without caring about the civilians - you can throw grenades, molotovs, flashbangs and such and those bandits are really low level and die quick.
If you want to save them you had to watch your fire and the level becomes way harder.
There's no bonuses or repercussions for civilian casualties. Gorsky doesn't give a fuck either.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
102 hours. This is how long my playthrough of OC + Expedition took to beat. Full psi, as I abandoned my first psi monk after 30 hours. What a ride!
I liked pretty much everything about it, except some respwning enemies.
I might come back to it, but I need at least one or most likely, two years to play other stuff. I'd love to do a shotgun wielding, grenade throwing nutjob.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Also, this is the first time I've used Pickpocketing. It seems like a pretty cool skill, so far for example I've acquired 1,100 rounds of 8.6mm from SGS guards alone.

Yaz

Learned
I've acquired 1,100 rounds of 8.6mm from SGS guards alone.

Combine with Mercantile for a decent early game cash boost.

If one goes thorough they can get 5k charons before they finish Depot A. Pickpocketing plays no small part in that.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also, this is the first time I've used Pickpocketing. It seems like a pretty cool skill, so far for example I've acquired 1,100 rounds of 8.6mm from SGS guards alone.

Pickpocketing moved way up as a skill with the recent patches and xpac. There's some RNG in whether a certain random area spawns in your game, but with it pickpocketing is godtier.

Last edited:

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Whats the effective skill level to be effective with pickpocketing? Might just drop traps from my build and get pickpocketing since I had to drop 30 points from it to get escape artist.

Parabalus

Arcane
Whats the effective skill level to be effective with pickpocketing? Might just drop traps from my build and get pickpocketing since I had to drop 30 points from it to get escape artist.

110ish gets you mostly everything. Only interesting stuff out of reach I found is Coretech armor & respirator and Azif's pockets.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
tin cans port area in core city. You need to dispose of marine guard close to bay
Port Zenith docks... as soon as possible... nope. This one of the hardest fights in the game, hands down. Snipers, Dreadnought, shock troopers and tincans, no cover, no room to maneuver, almost no ways to prepare the battlefield, no ways to thin the herd, no double entering...

Yaz

Learned
tin cans port area in core city. You need to dispose of marine guard close to bay

alternatively steal junk jet ski in ray shop, need either high perception or burglar feat

I am thinking about a lvl 12 character. Opening the Expedition is quite easy either with the Protectorate train or dealing with the Beast. Kinda worried about not being able to take the route through the underwater rocks. It could be possible to gather enough money for a good jet, but not sure.

Trashos

Arcane
I am getting dangerously close to starting the dlc content. Will my choosing of a faction there affect my relations with Underrail factions? I do not want to destroy my established relations.

Parabalus

Arcane
I am getting dangerously close to starting the dlc content. Will my choosing of a faction there affect my relations with Underrail factions? I do not want to destroy my established relations.

No relation.

I think nothing on the Waterways really affects the main factions - not sure about Eels and Camp Hathor though.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Shackin' up with the pirates will lead to some opportunities to raid a certain few factions back in the vanilla map, but that's all strictly opt-in and later in their quest chain. The main thrust of Expedition is very well removed from the goings-on back in the basegame.

CHEMS

Scholar

No relation.

I think nothing on the Waterways really affects the main factions - not sure about Eels and Camp Hathor though.

It does not. You can raid the waterways to your heart's content.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can kill random jet skiers too, with no repercussions. They ride 'junk jets' but can have top tier jet ski parts.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Lol. Managed to silently shank Balor. I was thinning the herd, blowing up grenades to pick up guys one by one and then I'm noticed that Balor is chilling out in a room, all alone. Went in to make him a company.

Now, Taser and Cheap Shots allow to stunlock him. Not 100% reliable, but works. And what weapon I used? The Claw! I said that I will find a use for it and I did. It causes bleeding wounds which damage by itself and proc infected wounds. Claw also stacks contamination which can easily go to 90% more damage. So, base damage, skill bonus, crit bonus, Expose Weakness lowered thresholds, infected wounds and contaminated bonuses and all of that with high Dex, giving ~150 dmg per lucky crit with 7 hits per turn. Guy went down in five or six turns.

Gotta try it in the Arena.

CHEMS

Scholar
Lol. Managed to silently shank Balor. I was thinning the herd, blowing up grenades to pick up guys one by one and then I'm noticed that Balor is chilling out in a room, all alone. Went in to make him a company.

Now, Taser and Cheap Shots allow to stunlock him. Not 100% reliable, but works. And what weapon I used? The Claw! I said that I will find a use for it and I did. It causes bleeding wounds which damage by itself and proc infected wounds. Claw also stacks contamination which can easily go to 90% more damage. So, base damage, skill bonus, crit bonus, Expose Weakness lowered thresholds, infected wounds and contaminated bonuses and all of that with high Dex, giving ~150 dmg per lucky crit with 7 hits per turn. Guy went down in five or six turns.

Gotta try it in the Arena.

Are you doing a pure meelee stealth build? Playing ninja sounds like fun but not viable for dominating.

Trashos

Arcane
I usually go for Balor by entering his room (with the guards and the dogs) from the adjacent location. But it is very dicey and I am not happy with my tactics there. It is good to hear of a different approach.

Lately I have been thinking to utilize the multiple entrances of the location by attacking successively from each. But I have not tried it yet.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Lately I have been thinking to utilize the multiple entrances of the location by attacking successively from each. But I have not tried it yet.
That's how I usually do it, but it's just exploiting. Gives you chance to reload shields, heal and remove cooldowns. But this time, they didn't even sound the siren.
Are you doing a pure meelee stealth build? Playing ninja sounds like fun but not viable for dominating.
Pistol+knife build. Pistols lacks strong alpha-strike so I had to thin the herd before the battle. Or kill everyone up close if possible.

.44 Hammerer is good, I can make four shots per turn, but damage spread is all over the place, it doesn't crit reliable and I'm too tired of missing with 85%-90% THC. So more work for the knife.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom