Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
Please stop spreading the BS that you just need PSP so you can tank through everything.

He didn't say that though... The whole point is that the abilities he mentioned are for hindering, which is true, not tanking. Tanking in Underrail is for fat shields coupled with high con and appropriate armor. PSI is much more about strategy and situational choices than straight up tanking.

Tygrende

Arbiter
He didn't say that though... The whole point is that the abilities he mentioned are for hindering, which is true, not tanking. Tanking in Underrail is for fat shields coupled with high con and appropriate armor. PSI is much more about strategy and situational choices than straight up tanking.
I would define tanking as a playstyle that is heavily focused on mitigating the effects of getting targeted with an attack, rather than avoiding being targeted with attacks at all, which is how glass cannons get through most of the game. According to this definition, PSP is very much an extremaly powerful tanking ability which can render several attacks completly harmless, with the only requirement being taking the psi health penalty and spending anywhere from some to a lot of points on TC. Even a few copies can easily nullify damage that would be much higher than the HP lost to the psi penalty.

Riot Gear isn't be-all end-all tanking solution either. It's strong vs. melee but that's it. In fact there's not a single tanking solution to everything in Underrail, so the point is moot. All builds will mix and match at least one or several solutions to cover all their bases. Even the most dedicated glass cannons still use shields, which are tanking as well.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Is there a reason why UnderRail is so cheap? It seems giant, looks fine, thought it would be 25$ at least.
i think you're supposed to liquidate your assets, travel to serbia, and make a donation at the stygian temple?

Thulsa Bre Doom awaits you with open arms, child

jackofshadows

Magister
Holy balls, mass enrage is so fucking fun why am I didn't use it so extensively before? For this alone oddity is a worthy choice.

Also, regarding 'alternative' music for the game:

Obviously a lot of dark embient is somewhat fitting depending on location but I think this one is especially, in general.

Actually, older albums like Transponder or Dolmen Factory are even more fitting but can't see them at youtube.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
I would define tanking as a playstyle that is heavily focused on mitigating the effects of getting targeted with an attack, rather than avoiding being targeted with attacks at all, which is how glass cannons get through most of the game. According to this definition, PSP is very much an extremaly powerful tanking ability which can render several attacks completly harmless, with the only requirement being taking the psi health penalty and spending anywhere from some to a lot of points on TC. Even a few copies can easily nullify damage that would be much higher than the HP lost to the psi penalty.

Riot Gear isn't be-all end-all tanking solution either. It's strong vs. melee but that's it. In fact there's not a single tanking solution to everything in Underrail, so the point is moot. All builds will mix and match at least one or several solutions to cover all their bases. Even the most dedicated glass cannons still use shields, which are tanking as well.

Absorbing damage. I don't play tanks ever, i feel like it would be boring. It's not an authentic underrail experience if i don't get killed at least once every 30 minutes.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Absorbing damage.
I wanted to avoid that word because then things such as PSP or dodge/evasion wouldn't technically count. They should, because while you're not getting hit, the principle is the same - you're allowing the enemy to attempt a hit because you know you can mitigate it. Glass cannons on the other hand know they don't, so the enemy is never even allowed an attempt.

jackofshadows

Magister
By the way, PSP is utterly useless against servants (and probably naga's melee as well) apparantely because they have huge resolve.

Sheepherder

Augur
Made a video of the Belt build. First time I uploaded it, I used an ISIS song, you know the one. Seemed culturally appropriate. But youtube accused me of glorifying a terrorist organization and removed the video. Thus, according to a multi-billion corporation, an Underrail video can serve as a vector of radicalization and as a recruitment tool for ISIS. eheheh

Ghulgothas

Arcane
irst time I uploaded it, I used an ISIS song, you know the one. Seemed culturally appropriate. But youtube accused me of glorifying a terrorist organization and removed the video. Thus, according to a multi-billion corporation, an Underrail video can serve as a vector of radicalization and as a recruitment tool for ISIS. eheheh
Try this one next time.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Sounds like a good deal if guns also get the infinite durability that psi gets. Needing to spam repair kits on burst guns is fucking terrible.

ARs already had their massive nerf back when smart module/goggles stopped working on bursts, anyway. Damage cut in half just like that. Tragic.

Ok lets limit how many bullets you can use in single fight. Out of limit? Use consumable with high CD to get ability to do 1 more attack.

jackofshadows

Magister
How viable Mental Subversion feat is? We don't have access to spreadsheets with the enemie's resolve values, don't we? I feel like it's a meh feat anyway due to its applying but I'm curious if anyone did some actual testing.

Sheepherder

Augur
How viable Mental Subversion feat is? We don't have access to spreadsheets with the enemie's resolve values, don't we? I feel like it's a meh feat anyway due to its applying but I'm curious if anyone did some actual testing.
It's meh. It's not bad, but don't bother with it unless you have a spare feat point. For high resolve enemies, apply Mental Breakdown and call it a day.
What's a high resolve enemy? A psi enemy. And those have some INT, so the NO damage gets increased.

Parabalus

Arcane

It's pure garbage, stay away.

Can you show the defensive stats for some typical enemies? Do they go over 250 (on Dominating?)?

Mental Subversion seems to be conclusively garbage though.

Dunno. Resolve is based on level and will. Scanners might have around 250 on dominating. If you're playing pure psi and always maxing will, you'll probably overpower the resolve of roughly equal level enemies throughout the game. Few unique characters and mid-game lunatic encounters are potential exceptions. And who knows what we'll find in the Black Sea?

Mental Subversion is p. shitty feat to pick, yeah. Single-player games are usually asymmetric in the way that the player persists and other combatants die quickly, so effects that slowly build up and linger end up being more powerful when used against the player. Not that Underrail does much of that, either. IMO mental subversion would be a perfect mechanical and thematical fit for the endgame battles towards the boss, but for whatever reason scanners don't have it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In general, any offensive strategy that takes time to work—be it via a delay or some form of build-up—is fantastic for enemies but trash for the PC, because past the early game, success is counted in whole numbers of enemies killed per turn. Again, for emphasis: whole number of enemies killed per turn. The enemies only need one kill to win all.

If an enemy isn't dead or at least effectively neutralized when your turn ends, that's a 0 on the success counter, not a 1. Being alive rather than dead will enable it to eat its inevitable adrenaline shot, quaff its inevitable health potion (eating into any damage you've already dealt), and then shit on you in some way.

If the game has a major failing, that's it, and it's intrinsic to the one-vs.-many combat mechanics. It's quite forgivable in my view, but is very off-putting to some people.

CHEMS

Scholar
If the game has a major failing, that's it, and it's intrinsic to the one-vs.-many combat mechanics. It's quite forgivable in my view, but is very off-putting to some people.

Luckily underrail has shitty AI mechanics even on dominating. If the AI were to actually use strategy, you'd be fucked with most builds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Made a video of the Belt build. First time I uploaded it, I used an ISIS song, you know the one. Seemed culturally appropriate. But youtube accused me of glorifying a terrorist organization and removed the video. Thus, according to a multi-billion corporation, an Underrail video can serve as a vector of radicalization and as a recruitment tool for ISIS. eheheh

Saleel a Sawarim is good, but you could've also went with this.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Am I stupid? How the fuck do you get back to the Black Sea once you bought a jetski?

e: Nevermind, just found the entrance. That's quite a ways away from Core City.

unknown.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nexus of Technology, more like Nexus of FUCKING ANNOYING SHIT

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Am I stupid? How the fuck do you get back to the Black Sea once you bought a jetski?

e: Nevermind, just found the entrance. That's quite a ways away from Core City.

unknown.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nexus of Technology, more like Nexus of FUCKING ANNOYING SHIT
That's one of if not the best puzzle I've seen in RPGs in... no, ever. I beleive now there's online solvers to this but doin it blind when the Expedition came out was fun as hell.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom