Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    The game is very forgiving with your build if you don't min-max on Normal. I am by no means an expert since I only finished the game on Normal.

Become well-versed on crafting and read about the requirements for items since with crafting you can acquire them earlier than say through a merchant or looting. Chemistry and Biology are the two skills I'd read the most about. Some requirements examples of good items would be: Adv Health Hypo (50 Biology), drugs that enhance your base skills are usually between 70 and 130 Biology.

Flashbang (40 Chemistry); Molotov Mk.III (60 Chemistry, with an odd 10 Tailoring).

All elemental/special bullets have a min requirement of 30 Mechanics.

And so on and so forth, you get the idea. Crafting was essential in my playthrough and I could hardly survive without it; but then again you could always put points into Mercantile.
    The reason why you need to meta-game a bit is to not spend points on skills you don't need to. The highest check for hacking (and even then, only if you're interested in lore dumps) is 135. I don't feel familiar enough with builds to help yours out. I would personally spend my last 15 points into Hacking instead of Pickpocketing, but that's just me.

Also do the coughing dude's quest.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I 'd also switch Pickpocketing to Hacking. You don't really need Pickpocketing, especially on Normal.
    Hacking has an important 130 check in DC, btw, in Arke.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    ^ Yeah, secondary skills like crafting/lockpicking etc have some sort of invisible thresholds here, learning them yourself or ask/read about is up to you. The initial distribution seems ok to me, I'd recommend swapping pack rathound with sprint and change chemistry priority onto something else like mercantile or electronics. Evasion could be learned much later as well if ever.

Overall, your stealthy glass-cannon approach will work perfectly in this game, just stack offence: related feats, crit chance and so on, keep your gear upgraded etc.

As an alternative you can look at OP build which is similiar to what you have described and start on hard or DOM right away if you up to the challenge at the beginning.

^ Top  
  4. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    You can make the same remark about normal regarding hacking. Don't need that. Pickpocketing is quite useful. The DC check isn't that important either if your character is strong enough.

^ Top  
  5. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Stay away from DOM until you are comfortable with the game's systems. Don't listen to our beloved nutjobs around here on the difficulty. A lot of us have played the game for thousands of hours, and forget how it was in the beginning. A strong build alone won't save you.

Pickpocketing is really one of the least useful skills on any difficulty other than DOM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    Don't get over-obsessed with crafting since we all seem to praise it mightier than Jesus. You will get crafting tables later on in the game that will ease up the burden of making DIY homemade IEDs and Molotovs. Just as there are items that ease up Hacking and Lockpicking requirements.
    Synchronize your crafting skills with the blueprints you find.

If you wish to dig in the lore as much as possible for your first playthrough the same way I did for mine, I'd suggest doing psi. There are many psi checks in the game that are connected to lore dumps, and some really neat at that. This game, narratively speaking, has the best setting, pace, and lore you could ask from a game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    I remember Jasede not only went on DOM for his first playthrough, but with his own build... throwing only. He did good up to some point but then so happens it were his very last posts on this forum. It couldn't be related, right? Just a coincidence.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Well, I used for my ironman run the one with 10 Con, you see - great survivability and such, can recommend.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    I'd recommend leveling hacking, lockpicking and stealth on any build just to stay sane later on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    The chemical pistol start is a bit rough. It makes sense because it is a versatility build, and those take a while to get rolling. So I am not judging it yet.

I am at a point when I have to start doing the major quests. What is the quickest way to get the Advanced Catalyzing Belt? Either Cornell or Oculus? Does anything fail (eg, Rail Crossing) if the first one I do is Cornell?
    (I will probably get to Oculus first, though. Much easier.)

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I get a fucking mugger where I least expect him at least once per playthrough. Last playthrough it was on the level that leads to Core City underpassages, close to the underpassage exit. That's an important spot, because that's the quick way to Rail Crossing, and he is right in your path. We were both in stealth and we collided (LOL), but luckily I won initiative. I hadn't seen this guy for a loooong time. He shouldn't be in the game, btw, this can easily be a death for no fucking reason.

This playthrough a psi(!) mugger attacked me right after I killed the gang 2 screens west of the elevator on the merchant level of Core City. First time I see this one. In the first round he stunned me, in the 2nd round he went pyrokinetic stream. Luckily I wasn't wearing the regalia, and I survived with just a few points of health.

Anyway, as expected, the fun started as soon as I found the advanced catalyzing belt. I found it at Old Jonas' at lvl17. I am now lvl21 and Constantine still has never offered it (I have unlocked tier II gear too). At some point I also found it as loot in some Core City room. I am guessing that it was probably random loot.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Yeah, I still remember that crossbower on level with old man near pot on fire, who has compass, it's where old wold booze oddity.
    Got shock bolt and aimed shot lmao, like 4 years ago. It would be a particular pain at ironman.
    Or those two - basher+sniper lmao, both in stealth.

^ Top  
  14. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Comments on many systems that I have used seriously for the first time in this playthrough:

Caltrops: You know those players who claim that caltrops are fucking amazing? They are fucking right. They make a lot of fights easier.

Sure Step feat: Great feat. Yeah, if you are wearing boots you don't need it, but mobile builds don't want to be wearing boots. Awesome for caltrops or chemical pistol users.

Vanishing Powder Grenade: Not the grenade we deserve, but the grenade we need. My current build is not fully silent, so I usually use this grenade when I attract neighboring groups of enemies that I didn't mean to. Its existence in the game is kind of unfortunate, but it is what it is. Maybe I will graduate to not using it at some point.

Ambush: Fucking awesome feat and system! It is systems like this that give Underrail its legendary status. It is a bit bugged with the Ambush status flickering under certain conditions, but still it is an awesome system. Too bad it is a bit too situational to build characters completely around it, I 'd be all over that shit. (yes, I use molotovs, and I also have my incendiary pistol)

Ambush vs Survival Insticts:
    SI is stronger (with less health, though), because it always works, but Ambush is way more fun. Unfortunately. I couldn't combine them both in my current build. Now, sometimes you expect that you may get hit and you don't want to be low health, so maybe SI doesn't "always work" after all. Generally, I think Ambush+Aimed Shot is a legit choice over SI for weapons that are not very fast.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    use staff of darkness in offhand

^ Top  
  16. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    Do any of you have the meme inviting the player to adventure near that crawler infested area of the subways where you meet the anarchs?

Hate that place with all my soul.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    [​IMG]
    You mean this one? Oh yeah, a nice place.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    I've made some experiment. Dusted of a PC from 2008, which had E8400, HD4850 and 4GB of RAM, installed win 10 x64, and installed underrail. And to my surprise motherfucker just works! I wonder how low you can go while still running Underrail.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. jdinatale Arbiter

jdinatale
    I can't complete the kidnap Sarine quest. I got the quest from the Rathound King to kidnap her, and I let her pet out so she leaves camp. I go to where she is and try to throw a flashbang at her. This incapacitates her, but when I end combat, I'm only given the option to shoot her. How do I kidnap her?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Taser I think.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    Or tranq bolt.

^ Top  
  22. Spark Mandriller Augur

Spark Mandriller
    Press space instead of enter. If you end combat the script where she becomes permanently stunned doesn't trigger. If you end your turn then it works fine.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    What the hell man. Today I learned that
    Show Spoiler
    you can become a mutant through the mutie questline
    . Really surprised I'm still learning shit about this game after 200 hours. Will most likely do it after the last update drops.

As of now I'm still doing my crossbow traps build on DOMINATING, the fun factor is 10x better than a psiker build, the sound of my bear trap setting off is something I'll never get tired of. A bit worried for Expeditions since even on Normal it was a hard feat doing some dungeons, but from what I read so far, bio armor is god.

jackofshadows I will tell you one thing though: I feel like not getting Aimed Shot for early game is a waste, it is true that you will never use it later on in the game, but until you manage to get a constant influx of elemental bolts, this feat is a life saver and makes the early game a breeze, especially with the 15% from Opportunistic Attack.

Here's a list that I find pretty good for this build:

EDIT: got Opportunist at level 2 or 3 instead of where it is on the list.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Getting a constant influx of elemental bolts isn't hard at all once you get to Junkyard. Until then it's pretty easy to ram through with just traps and molotovs. No reason to waste a feat, much better to take recklessness or blindsiding instead for example. I assume you have also decided to drop TM which means to gimp yourself - but that's your choice, man.

Unrelated: looks like underrail.info is dead :(

^ Top  
  25. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Depends on coins, and coins depends on if you steal or not.
    Withous stealing things even after Depot A I was bunkrupt constantly, crossbow ironman build.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.