Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Black Angel

Arcane
I assume the TC option is so you can hide your association with Oculus and how they are the mystery organization that probably stole the Cube in the first place. I was always super bummed out when the Faceless found out about them, like I was letting the boys down.
Where was it implied that the Oculus was responsible for stealing the Cube in the first place? They're pretty much close associate of Six, who's hunting down Tanner, who in turn the real mastermind behind stealing the Cube. Unless I missed the part where Tanner even managed to manipulate the Oculus? Was it post-DC conversation with Azif?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I assume the TC option is so you can hide your association with Oculus and how they are the mystery organization that probably stole the Cube in the first place. I was always super bummed out when the Faceless found out about them, like I was letting the boys down.
Where was it implied that the Oculus was responsible for stealing the Cube in the first place? They're pretty much close associate of Six, who's hunting down Tanner, who in turn the real mastermind behind stealing the Cube. Unless I missed the part where Tanner even managed to manipulate the Oculus? Was it post-DC conversation with Azif?
Unless I'm mistaken, after the Faceless Mind Reader scans your brain in Talos Outpost, and you have the opportunity to ask the Commander questions, one of the questions allows you to inquire about who stole the Cube from the faceless in the first place. The Commander states that they don't know who, but he says something along the lines of "That being said, now that we've taken a look at your memories, it does open up new possibilities about the identity of the culprit, as we had no idea that such a SECRET organization existed (referencing Oculus)" or something like that. Am I crazy, or does anyone else remember a line to this effect?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Unless I'm mistaken, after the Faceless Mind Reader scans your brain in Talos Outpost, and you have the opportunity to ask the Commander questions, one of the questions allows you to inquire about who stole the Cube from the faceless in the first place. The Commander states that they don't know who, but he says something along the lines of "That being said, now that we've taken a look at your memories, it does open up new possibilities about the identity of the culprit, as we had no idea that such a SECRET organization existed (referencing Oculus)" or something like that. Am I crazy, or does anyone else remember a line to this effect?
I remember reading about oculus being the ones to steal it, but somewhere else

I've rushed for cleaver straight after passages got opened. Well first Ive gotten kukri then I rushed there. Cutthroat feat makes it easy to kill humanoid domi bosses even when you are still weak. No ripper, no power criticals meant that I actually had to cut his throat twice.
What I found surprising is that cutthroat cant be executed against stunned enemies.

Cant say im impressed so far. At lvl 12 its 11AP vs 8AP on kukri and it hurts my fancy footwork and cheap shot chances.
Cleaving ability is nice, although 3 turns cd makes its usefulness questionable. Obviously cleaver is best weapon to be used with cutthroat that got constant 25ap cost.

Ill play until 16th when I'll have both critical power and brutalize. At that point I should be able to get full progression on evasion too. Basically I want to see in action if yell makes evasion worth it on dominating.

Now I guess im off to get easy balor kill. Cutthroat with cleaver in hand should decapitate imo

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also yeah, it's Myles. He always wants money, almost always wants a high quality (usually around 120 quality, sometimes higher or lower) weapon frame for spare parts, frequently wants parts like silencers or extended magazines or whatever. You give him the stuff and come back in a while and you get a better gun. You don't get any choice on what parts get used, if he thinks a bipod is appropriate then your gun is getting a bipod, your opinion doesn't matter.
i wonder if it's seeded, or you can save-scum a desireable result.

Parabalus

Arcane

I've rushed for cleaver straight after passages got opened. Well first Ive gotten kukri then I rushed there. Cutthroat feat makes it easy to kill humanoid domi bosses even when you are still weak. No ripper, no power criticals meant that I actually had to cut his throat twice.
What I found surprising is that cutthroat cant be executed against stunned enemies.

Cant say im impressed so far. At lvl 12 its 11AP vs 8AP on kukri and it hurts my fancy footwork and cheap shot chances.
Cleaving ability is nice, although 3 turns cd makes its usefulness questionable. Obviously cleaver is best weapon to be used with cutthroat that got constant 25ap cost.

Ill play until 16th when I'll have both critical power and brutalize. At that point I should be able to get full progression on evasion too. Basically I want to see in action if yell makes evasion worth it on dominating.

Now I guess im off to get easy balor kill. Cutthroat with cleaver in hand should decapitate imo

Does the kukri expose weakness stack?

OK, yeah, figured it out now and tried upgrading the Steyr-Auch. Not bad, seems like a way to prolong lifespan of uniques - but when the hell is a non-speedhack player supposed to just come across a 135qual Hornet frame?

There's a better option compared to speedhack or merchant refresh - the table lets you edit the quality directly.

Black Angel

Arcane
That line from the Faceless Commander was probably referencing the fact that Six, who's hunting Tanner, is an associate of the Oculus. But still, yeah, idk, gotta play again to confirm this for sure.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Freeze and shoot to pieces? Obliterate with beams later. Is that it? I'd squeeze TM anyway :M

It's a crit build that uses freeze as support in the early-mid game. Your main psi hability will be thermodynamic destabilization to transform beefy enemies in powerful live grenades. You'll be doing A LOT of damage from the bolts alone with specced critical power + elemental bolts + sharpshooter. Late game you'll be sitting in almost 100% crit chance (not counting ambush) and being able to shoot a plasma beam for free action points with crit on demand using mania

SHOOP DA WHOOP

thermodynamic destabilization belongs to metathermics right?
Seeing as how you have 160 points in that and 0 in temporal manipulation.

And why do you have so much const?
Just for XP bonus or something else too?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
That line from the Faceless Commander was probably referencing the fact that Six, who's hunting Tanner, is an associate of the Oculus. But still, yeah, idk, gotta play again to confirm this for sure.

i remember there were discussions that azif likely sent player to steal cube in first place

Does the kukri expose weakness stack?
no. Crippling does up to 3 times

There's a better option compared to speedhack or merchant refresh - the table lets you edit the quality directly.
i guess those components are easy to ocme by if you have acccess to special stock through mercantile?

Parabalus

Arcane
How effective is TC with 5 WILL (173 eff) on DOM? Never tried it with less than 18 before.

Also, the two new TC spells, are they any good? Do you lose the MCT skill bonus if the target dies?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
meh, didnt even reach brutalize and I already hate its concept. Im plowing through lurkers, creating choke points and spamming traps, after a while I realized that not a single time I wished I had brutalize. What for? I spent too much time on this title not to learn how to control mob. I should take a break to restart with something else. Perhaps gun fu
Thinking bout it brutalize sounds like some rng shit, having you restart fights because someone didnt run away

Wasn't able to get hp bloated balor. Even with cutthroat I can at best get him down to 10-15%hp. Need some good feats. Kukri couldnt penetrate his armor on non crits. Interestingly enough it still applies cripple/expose weakness while dealing no damage. Cleaver cuts through his defenses even without crits(most of the time at least). Damage wise it was better to use cleaver exclusively over switching to kukri for expose weakness.

Dunno whats the deal with phone booths but I love its concept. Some got items, others weird calls with unknown parties, some spawn robots. Sometimes even friendly. I managed to repair one phone for it to spawn industry robot that obliterated lunatics in the area - also was neutral to me!

speaking of handguns, do you crit with them? Ive noticed that unique desert eagle can now stun at melee range after refurbishing. Bullet time reduction is applied before or after gunslinger and dexterity reductions? I know that dexterity goes before gunslinger. Doesnt seem to matter much, either way you can expect 12AP on desert eagle.
Dont have experience with crafting firearms, how new refurbished ones compare to high end ones?

EDIT: does steadfast aim work with energy pistols too?

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
OK, yeah, figured it out now and tried upgrading the Steyr-Auch. Not bad, seems like a way to prolong lifespan of uniques - but when the hell is a non-speedhack player supposed to just come across a 135qual Hornet frame?
135 frames are common garbage. Visit just about any weapons merchant after cube is stolen and you will get one in no time.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Why yes, I did complete RHK on a low PER char by memorizing the placement of all the bear traps, how could you tell?

iUJML2P.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Finally grabbed the Kokoroko AK and refurbed it - not sure it's worthwhile. -3% Burst precision whereas refurb Steyr gets 10% prec & 10% burst prec, and a crafted Chimera can get 15% burst. Perhaps the accuracy is fine if you run max PER, unlike my silly tin can.

Knifegaf

Novice
How effective is TC with 5 WILL (173 eff) on DOM? Never tried it with less than 18 before.

Also, the two new TC spells, are they any good? Do you lose the MCT skill bonus if the target dies?
New spells are pretty bad. I also think TC is pretty lackluster without LoC but that’s just my opinion. It can only deal with bio and if you are only going to go 5 will I think metathermics can serve you better overall

Sykar

Arcane
135 frames are common garbage. Visit just about any weapons merchant after cube is stolen and you will get one in no time.

It is high enough to finish the game without too much of difficulty. Not sure why you consider Q 135 items "garbage".

Zeem

Learned
The order of events is roughly this:
  1. About a year ago Six came to Oculus and told them that soon a guy will contact them to procure a special artifact from Faceless (referring to Tanner).
  2. Between this and the beginning of the game Tanner approaches Oculus with a contract to steal the Cube from Faceless and deliver it to him.
  3. Azif accepts and sends his finest agent to recover it. It is implied that the agent somehow went undercover and is still among the Faceless after the Cube is nabbed.
  4. The Cube is somehow passed to a courier in Core City, who gives it to Bakers.
  5. Bakers finish their rounds in CC and head back to SGS.
  6. Earthquake hits (Faceless deny that they were responsible for it), Bakers stop by RC and get mugged. Cornell gets the Cube.
  7. Cornell travels all over Underrail until he ends up in Core City.
  8. Rubble is cleared and Faceless discover that the Cube is missing. They deploy their forces at locations where the Cube's tracker-jamming container was opened and blockade the connection to the North.
  9. Cube gets sold to Coretech, Edmund Knight gets killed by a JKK operative (with blame falling on Miland Simmons) and the thing ends up in the abandoned Coretech facility. Cornell goen into hiding.
  10. Tchortists break into said facility and steal the Cube, taking it to the Notorious T.
  11. Player character enters the Institute and (sooner or later) Faceless attack it. Tchortists inside are slaughtered.
  12. PC descends to DC, dominates the fisherman's wife's boyfriend and acquires the Cube.
  13. PC either gives the cube to Faceless Commander or Six takes it from him and passes it over to Faceless.
  14. Faceless leave Underrail and return back to their city.
  15. PC exits DC, finds out from Six that Tanner has ran away to the North. PC either stays in SGS or takes the train to Hexagon.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
ANGRYABOUTMUTIES.png

Memoirs of an UnderKnight, Vol I.~
  • The claymore can be reliably obtained as soon as the circuit-board is turned in and the passages open up. Depending on how willing you are to cheese the gang of Ironheads guarding it.
  • Get Gloria up-and-running as soon as possible. You can get two drives containing supersteel refining data from both Hecate Research Outpost and the Lost Vault early on for safer investments.
  • Specced Armor-Sloping will allow you to forge the optimal suit SuperSteel armor, and attaching tichrome spikes and razors to it for added melee appeal is essential. Nimble should be one of your starting feats.
  • A true knight dons infused pigleather boots for both their added mobility and debonair charm. A doctor's belt will also keep your many adrenaline shots stamina potions and jumping bean pills bravery supplements easily accessible.
  • Onslaught + Taste for Blood is a fun combination, Cheap Shots too but I'm unsure if Opportunist is worth it.
  • You likely could've raised dex only to the point needed for sword feats, but I'm committed to the larp and that larp entails being a SWORDSMAN WITHOUT EQUAL so the 10 necessary for ideal parry and riposte chances is the goal.
  • Only pushed Dodge to the necessary amount for Fancy Footwork and Escape Artist. Thought about investing towards Brutality but am undecided.

Tygrende

Arbiter

It is high enough to finish the game without too much of difficulty. Not sure why you consider Q 135 items "garbage".
By garbage I mean it's pretty commonly found in the late game at merchants compared to the top tier 150+q frames. If it required that much quality it would be annoying but you don't need speedhack to find either and definitely not the former. Especially with mercantile. Shouldn't take more than a few visits at Hanna, Fraser, Constantine, Ola/Stratford, maybe even Oskar, Ladelman, Lucas, etc.

Tigranes

Arcane

By garbage I mean it's pretty commonly found in the late game at merchants compared to the top tier 150+q frames. If it required that much quality it would be annoying but you don't need speedhack to find either and definitely not the former. Especially with mercantile. Shouldn't take more than a few visits at Hanna, Fraser, Constantine, Ola/Stratford, maybe even Oskar, Ladelman, Lucas, etc.

That's not the right question - it is "how easy is the component to find at the point where the upgrade would matter?" It has nothing to do with how hard it is to get the 150+ frames.

Presuming a non-speedhack game, I highly doubt you'd find exactly the 135+ Hornet every playthorugh just by naturally dropping in on Core City a few times. Maybe someone knows the exact percentages, but for example I got it by resetting Oculus merchant inventory 30+ times w/ Mercantile. If it was any AR frame, then yes, I'd imagine not much of a hassle.

Tygrende

Arbiter
That's not the right question - it is "how easy is the component to find at the point where the upgrade would matter?" It has nothing to do with how hard it is to get the 150+ frames.

Presuming a non-speedhack game, I highly doubt you'd find exactly the 135+ Hornet every playthorugh just by naturally dropping in on Core City a few times. Maybe someone knows the exact percentages, but for example I got it by resetting Oculus merchant inventory 30+ times w/ Mercantile. If it was any AR frame, then yes, I'd imagine not much of a hassle.
You probably won't find it naturally very soon, but upgraded aug is supposed to be a pretty strong weapon, which it is. If I were doing a no-crafting run, which the game has never been better for, upgraded aug would easily be my endgame 2nd AR of choice for commando bursts.

Tygrende

Arbiter
does an assault rifle/pistol build make sense?
I mean kinda but not really? Only real benefits it has:

Backup in case your STR is lowered with crippling strike (SMG is better for this because it shares most of its feats with AR)
Can be silenced (again, just carry an SMG)
+7 initiative with gunslinger (not by much, just pick paranoia/trigger happy or both and keep the other slot)
Bit of extended range because pistols lose less precision over distance (just use a sniper rifle)

Go ahead if it makes you happy.

Tigranes

Arcane

You probably won't find it naturally very soon, but upgraded aug is supposed to be a pretty strong weapon, which it is. If I were doing a no-crafting run, which the game has never been better for, upgraded aug would easily be my endgame 2nd AR of choice for commando bursts.

I am finding that the upgraded Steyr is generally superior to using that 135q frame for crafting - though I don't know how it'd compare to a 150q. But it's definitely good that this makes at least some uniques viable into Dom endgame.

Still thinking about a knife poisoner biology run, though feels like the new poison options not really worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom