Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal Engine 5 - holy shit!

dacencora

One can appreciate Unreal Engine 4/5 and excellent 2D DOS artwork.

homm_1-png.2610

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Stop being bydlo. There is no difference between UE 4.27 and UE 5.0 except two or three subsystems out of hundreds of subsystems. UE5 is UE 4.28, but hyped for retards to talk about.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Stop being bydlo. There is no difference between UE 4.27 and UE 5.0 except two or three subsystems out of hundreds of subsystems. UE5 is UE 4.28, but hyped for retards to talk about.

Nanite and Luminen are truly distinctive new features in UE5. Not that I think it will lead to better games...
Yes. We understand each other. No point in losing shit over two subsystems. Neither are even needed for a game like VTMB2 for example, let alone some isometric RPG. With VTMB like games, it's all baked lighting and no scanned kilometers of landscapes. It'd be useful for a game like GTA 6 if Rockstar didn't have their own engine. And how many games like this are there anyway, 1/year?

Lumen is nice. CryEngine had very good global illumination for years, though.

Nanite is cool, but it's cool as in "oh nice, UE4 finally got an interesting new feature on a major version update, instead of making it compatible with a new type of fridge screen."

It's all intended to hype bydlo up.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Youngens used to be able to imagine anything in their minds, just a plastic army figure and you could imagine a whole battle. Now it needs to be spelled out so clearly it looks real. Imagination is dead!?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Youngens used to be able to imagine anything in their minds, just a plastic army figure and you could imagine a whole battle. Now it needs to be spelled out so clearly it looks real. Imagination is dead!?

Yeah, there's something to this argument, but you can push it too far - why bother with graphics at all, why bother with videogames, why not just read a book or a CYOA or play a board game? Plenty of scope for "imagining whole battles" there.

But I think everyone's just nostalgic for the thing they grew up with.

Wrt to the pursuit of visual realism in games, it's not that every game has to be "realistic," and in fact if you have the visuals too realistic, the view can be too confusing (especially without binocular vision to reckon depth and distance). You do need some stylization so that things are simplified enough visually to make everything readable on a screen (even with VR there's still no true binocular vision, or whatever the thing's called where your eyes selectively focus on distance).

But having the power under the hood to be able to render complex things realistically is surely a win for game designers in terms of the possibilities it opens up - even if you don't always use the full power of the system, having it there, having that headroom, is just good on general principle.

Codex Year of the Donut
nanite is going to be the most overhyped and underused feature unless people like downloading multi-terabyte games.

the valley demo is 30GiB packaged for release.

Gargaune

Magister
I dunno, this might be old news to many of you hear, and of course it's hype, but holy shit, we really are getting very close to crossing that uncanny valley these days:-

https://odysee.com/@Coldfusion:f/next-gen-graphics-finally-arrive-unreal:9
Impressive. I mean you can still tell, but it's close enough not to care. But I'm confused, dude's saying that this "demo" is running real-time on PS5 and XBox Series X right now, what about PC? I want specs.

Either way, GPUs had better come back down in price soon. Before the gamer hordes start hanging Bitcoin miners from lamp posts.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The gaming world at long last has cutting-edge, photorealistic graphics.

But it's wasted near exclusively on modeling ugly people.

Monkey's Paw finger goes down.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I should say, the other thing I'm finding impressive about this and other things I've seen recently (like that driving demo that was floating around recently) is that desaturation (from cloudy weather, etc.) is looking more realistic.

It was always a problem through the 2010s. Things would look great in sunlight, but the desaturated view was always lamentable.

Once they crack janky shoulders, we'll be off to the races :)

tritosine2k

Erudite
nanite's a game changer for vista-s in every genre including anime+live action+2D+concept art and recently pseudo 2D. Hell it's even a game changer for google earth like stuff (what they seem to peddle as metaverse).

nanite is going to be the most overhyped and underused feature unless people like downloading multi-terabyte games.

Google earth is streaming geometry today.

Last edited:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
This really doesn't belong on this thread but I'll take the bait

but according to codexers 2d games from dos era looks so much better than this!

There are a lot of games where 3d animations are completely superfluous.

If I'm playing a two dimensional board game on the computer, like Blood Bowl (or HOMM), I just want to see clear, aesthetically pleasing representations of the game board and the game pieces, that I can understand at a glance and won't get sick of looking at for a long time.

I don't care about some dumb tackling or combat animation, It's actually a net negative because it wastes my time and I don't need to see it more than once, I will even go so far as downloading a mod to turn it off, if I can. On the other hand, if it's fast and clear, like animations used to be, it can be a positive, because it might convey the results of an action more quickly than reading a text combat log would. (For example, who is standing in an area of effect attack and who isn't.)

Playing games and watching computer generated 3d animations are two different activities that only sometimes overlap. And the CGI budget often eats into the gameplay budget (or necessitates gameplay changes to make the game more suitable for a wider audience).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Well, I was going to ask if this was actually going to be in games, but I guess that answers the question for me.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
nanite's a game changer for vista-s in every genre including anime+live action+2D+concept art and recently pseudo 2D. Hell it's even a game changer for google earth like stuff (what they seem to peddle as metaverse).

Google earth is streaming geometry today.

I should think this is a game changer not just for games (ahem) but also for this relatively recent use of Unreal as panoramic backgrounds for s-f movies (instead of a green screen) - as demonstrated to excellent effect in The Mandalorian. There, you want as realistic rocks as possible (in fact I'm sure the film version of the game engine already has the more advanced tech).

Playing games and watching computer generated 3d animations are two different activities that only sometimes overlap.

It's quite a big area of overlap though. Or maybe it's more the sweet spot in a continuum between board gamey abstraction to the point that any traces of realism are merely homoepathic, on the one hand, and the full on simulation and (so to speak) miniaturization of reality as much as it's possible within the limits of technology, on the other.

Ever since Baldur's Gate, there's been more and more of a push towards realism, and the depiction of a miniature world in glorious full detail, and that includes many and hopefully also varied animations. In the best cases, nothing is lost in terms of gameplay, while you gain a lot in terms of playing what amounts to an adventure simulation. And again, in the best cases, you don't mind the animation because it's "edging" you on the result of the action ("will he hit? - YESSS it's a hit").

tritosine2k

Erudite
I should think this is a game changer not just for games (ahem) but also for this relatively recent use of Unreal as panoramic backgrounds for s-f movies (instead of a green screen) - as demonstrated to excellent effect in The Mandalorian. There, you want as realistic rocks as possible (in fact I'm sure the film version of the game engine already has the more advanced tech).

turns out this is quite something and better example than star wars:
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...omics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

+
(...) (Knights of Sidonia) The anime series received positive reviews, even from famous members of the Japanese anime/game industry, like Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear series, who claims that "It's a kind of anime that we haven't seen for a while that has that sci-fi spirit. Using digital technology cultivated through games, it creates animation that encapsulates Japan's cultural assets like manga, cel animation, kanji, giant robots, etc. What's born is a unique made-in-Japan work that could never be cooked up in Hollywood. Japanese culture has lost its 'cool', and Knights of Sidonia will be the white knight that saves it".

Knights of Sidonia will be the white knight
better yet
tim_sweeney.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom