Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Hybrid FPP/Overhead Turn-based Cyberpunk Vampire RPG

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Basically, although I may rename it since it's also the intimidation attribute. Something like Physicality maybe, dunno.
Combining Social and Combat attributes sounds interesting. I appreciate the way it allows players to be more versatile in a single playthrough. One of the oddities in other RPGs is that you character could be a musclebound monster of a man but sucks at intimidation.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Basically, although I may rename it since it's also the intimidation attribute. Something like Physicality maybe, dunno.
Combining Social and Combat attributes sounds interesting. I appreciate the way it allows players to be more versatile in a single playthrough. One of the oddities in other RPGs is that you character could be a musclebound monster of a man but sucks at intimidation.

Yup, the combat attributes here translate fairly smoothly to social interactions:

Athleticism = Intimidate
Perception = Investigate
Intellect = Reason
Willpower = Charm
Sanguinity = Command

There are a bunch of uses for attributes outside of combat. For now I've planned three primary ones:

1. Traditional skill checks
2. Social interactions with NPCs
3. How your captains behave

The first is pretty self-explanatory.

The second comes up when you meet with NPCs like rival/allied gangsters or whatever. Each NPC in the game has a hidden rating across all five attributes that they're more susceptible to. For example, someone who is bad liar will be more susceptible to the Investigate option governed by Perception. This allows players a social way to engage with NPCs in friendly/hostile/neutral ways outside of just combat. And also encourages hybrid builds instead of dnd style Single Ability Score Dependent (SAD) powerbuilds.

You can go through the game guns a blazin', but just like in real life, it's often more beneficial not to immediately resort to violence. The vampire criminal network is a tangled web of alliances, animosity and sometimes even iron-clad magic promises. I think it'll be fun for the player to navigate. And the social element essentially forces the player to learn the NPCs, their strengths and weaknesses.

NPCs include your companions too. Who you can eventually (if you get far enough into the vampire hierarchy) promote into Captains with their own crews. You'll be able to send them to do stuff or run rackets of their own. How they go about it (and their chances of success) will depend on their own attributes. They also might betray you. Who knew you can't trust a bunch of low-life, criminal scum?

Everything will be governed by a hand-scripted AI that takes your actions into account.

I don't want to make too many promises or heap too much on my plate, since this is rapidly edging towards "best arpeegee evah" territory, but I think I know how to make it work, and not have to spend 10 years of my life on it.

WhiteShark

Learned
I don't think tying Athleticism to Intimidation makes sense fundamentally. Which is more intimidating, a brawny guy or a guy with a gun pointed at you? or a guy who knows where your family lives? etc. Sure, if you're in a fist fight a bulky guy will be more intimidating than an average guy, but that's purely contextual, as with the examples previously given. Ultimately what I think makes one person better at intimidation than another given the same exact circumstances is the mental trait that D&D would call Charisma.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think tying Athleticism to Intimidation makes sense fundamentally. Which is more intimidating, a brawny guy or a guy with a gun pointed at you? or a guy who knows where your family lives? etc. Sure, if you're in a fist fight a bulky guy will be more intimidating than an average guy, but that's purely contextual, as with the examples previously given. Ultimately what I think makes one person better at intimidation than another given the same exact circumstances is the mental trait that D&D would call Charisma.
Tyranicon Help us out here!
I think that intimidation should be a Strength + Charisma affair. Naturally, the more well built, muscular and tall you are, the better the intimidating factor. With Charisma, you know how to pick your words for maximum effect, you know HOW to make that guy piss his pants in fear.
Also, I would think that having some leverage (knowing sensitive and even incriminating information about someone) should really help out with intimidation attempts.

Harthwain

Magister
I would give bonuses to intimidation rolls for stuff such as "I know where your family lives" or "*point a gun in the direction of a guy*", but that's about it. Athleticism/Strength makes more sense for intimidation than Charisma does, both intuitively and practically. Bullies are bullies, because they tend to be stronger than their victims. Thugs/bandits are just bigger/older bullies with better toys.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't think tying Athleticism to Intimidation makes sense fundamentally.

I think I will change the term to Physicality. I was also thinking of Vigor, but that's a bit more vague.

The attribute is supposed to denote physical prowess but also aggression/presence. Something animalistic, instinctive, and not covered by Willpower or Charisma at all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What should the game's stat system be affectionally called? WASPI?

If the system is successful and popular, I suppose people will probably call it after the game.

Currently I'm finalizing ammo use in combat. Guns use ammo and some tech/magic melee weapons use charges. Reloading either will take action points.

Different weapons have different magazine/storage sizes. The code for this is kind of fucked up but I'm planning on allowing extended magazines/drums. Generally, nobody serious in real life uses these, but in a cyberpunk setting they might be more reliable and see common use.

There will be different selective fire modes (and whatever the melee equivalent is called). For example, Aimed Fire, 3rnd Burst, and Full Auto.

I'm thinking that since aimed fire is a single round (single dice damage) it should 100% hit on normal enemies.

I dunno, will take experimentation.

Combat's already shaping up to be fun, if somewhat overly simple right now. Animations are janky but in a somewhat charming way.

jungl

Augur
Can you opt out of vampirism but have your dick or vagina become a vampire instead? Roleplay as a dickwalker. Human player choice morality at times but default to evil bloodlust sex choices as the game progresses the dick gets stronger and more self conscious.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can you opt out of vampirism but have your dick or vagina become a vampire instead? Roleplay as a dickwalker. Human player choice morality at times but default to evil bloodlust sex choices as the game progresses the dick gets stronger and more self conscious.

Ah the secret ending where the player's dick kickstarts the singularity and becomes a god dick, ruling over space and time with an iron glans.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Ah the secret ending where the player's dick kickstarts the singularity and becomes a god dick, ruling over space and time with an iron glans.
Oh, that old chestnut again. A classic for a reason!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think I will change the term to Physicality. I was also thinking of Vigor, but that's a bit more vague.

The attribute is supposed to denote physical prowess but also aggression/presence. Something animalistic, instinctive, and not covered by Willpower or Charisma at all.
How about Power?
White Power.

Would we lock it to only white characters or would all people be able to enjoy this trait?

A la Chappelle Show

1679246625310.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

How about Power?
White Power.

Would we lock it to only white characters or would all people be able to enjoy this trait?

A la Chappelle Show

View attachment 34496
Speaking of which, Tyranicon, will you do full body customization or only portraits?
I think full body customization would be pretty dumb, not to mention it might waste you a lot of your time.
cRPGs should go back to portraits/pre-made models, not full body customization.
Seeing as how your game will be isometric 2D, I think I know the answer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Speaking of which, Tyranicon, will you do full body customization or only portraits?
I think full body customization would be pretty dumb, not to mention it might waste you a lot of your time.
Seeing as how your game will be isometric 2D, I think I know the answer.

There'll be some visual customization but it won't be reflected in your walking/combat sprite. Too much work.

You will be able to switch between different visual appearances but I wouldn't count on there being a lot of them. There's a few technical bottlenecks that will probably prevent me from creating a lot.

The most important is that since all animations are hand-animated (or more accurately, hand-rendered), I probably can't be bothered to make a player sprite wearing 40 different styles of clothing.

With the proviso that body size be subject to customization as well.

There will be some, but not a lot. Mostly geared towards tech augments and vampire stuff.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I ended up doing far more work to coax the engine into supporting new combat mechanics than expected. The whole thing is held together with spaghetti code and chewing gum, but I think I'm finally finished.

This has delayed my plans for a combat demo, but not by much. I think I'll release something very bare bones later this month or early April, just so people can get a sense of what combat is going to be like, and I can get some feedback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom