Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Kickstarter now live!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Less dakka is fine, but give more choppa.

Melee weapons and ranged will be 50/50, but take different upgrade paths. Since melee exists in lore reasons due to some magic Dune-esque fuckery, they will be more enchantment inclined than guns, which are more tech-based.

So there will be cyber swords, but most of the higher end stuff is just a really good piece of blessed/cursed metal. Also I hate the fantasy aesthetic for weapons that plague most games, so mine will be more in line with historical swords. There will be axes, daggers and polearms too. Maybe other categories, we'll have to see.

86878678667.jpeg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Less dakka is fine, but give more choppa.

Melee weapons and ranged will be 50/50, but take different upgrade paths. Since melee exists in lore reasons due to some magic Dune-esque fuckery, they will be more enchantment inclined than guns, which are more tech-based.

So there will be cyber swords, but most of the higher end stuff is just a really good piece of blessed/cursed metal. Also I hate the fantasy aesthetic for weapons that plague most games, so mine will be more in line with historical swords. There will be axes, daggers and polearms too. Maybe other categories, we'll have to see.

View attachment 32162
Hammers, dude

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Four distinct melee types and maybe four distinct gun types sounds like plenty to choose from. I'm not here to play Borderlands 4.

lightbane

Arcane
What about a blessed sword with a force field to empower the blade's cutting power for extra power gaming?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What about a blessed sword with a force field to empower the blade's cutting power for extra power gaming?

Or vibro-blades?

How bout chainswords et al.? :excited:

Extra stuff will probably depend on budget and time. I would like to have more options, but this isn't a loot-focused game. Although it's one of the areas I would want to expand the most.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Speaking for myself, I'm more of a build character stats and skill trees kind of player than a compare numbers on 10 different swords kind of player.

In other words, it's not the size of your weapon but what maneuvers you know.

Norfleet

2. They would be too OP unrestricted, setting-wise. Vampires are already immortal, have powerful regenerative abilities, superstrength and the best power of all: money.
Money isn't really much of a power in a vidya game. We all know that money is always just one round of murderhoboing away. Plus I can't imagine being a super-cyborg was cheap to begin with.

If they could start to improve on their bodies, they would definitely remove all their flaws, such as weakness to sunlight.
As usual, Islam has all the answers: Build Back Burqa.

A cyber-arm here or there is fine (but just barely).
I would argue that rather than making it some kind of weird arbitrary rule, you simply make them fundamentally incompatible in core mechanical ways. Like, for instance, if you do the turn-into-mist thing, your arm simply doesn't and falls off onto the floor. Thus you could DO it, but you'd have to cherrypick what abilities you're going to use, thus somewhat limiting your options anyway.

Replacing your skin with something sunlight resistant
Honestly, this seems like a more complicated and bothersome solution to something that could have been solved with a trenchcoat, a hat, and some sunglasses. I mean, that's what I do to avoid being burned by the accursed light of the hated daystar.

or removing your need to constantly consume blood is a no-no.
I can't imagine that there's a cyber-thing that removes your need to ingest matter anyway. That would just plain contradict physics.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
hrth65ryg.png

Nemesis weapons. Hyper rare and they're one-use only. Manufactured by the Slayer Order via arcane rituals. The blood on the tips is there for a reason.

Vampire enemies in the game will be extremely rare and almost all of them will be unique named characters (the exception being the ones in training simulations). I am leaning towards the "every NPC will be killable" camp, but will have to see how much work it actually is.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Weapons:

Melee

Obligatory hammer types, not simply police and riot control types, but also random stuff like some collectors medieval flanged mace that's blessed by some saint or some garbage.

Chainsaw

Axe types. Maybe a hand axe or hatchet plus something like a door breaker axe or similar that firemen use.

Ranged

At least one obligatory revolver type hand cannon.

Three shotguns - hunting, combat, makeshift. Each is capable of loading specific to them type of ammo.

Crossbow / Bow with different poison and such type options.

Also nonlethal options like taser and beanbag stuff

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
View attachment 32286

Nemesis weapons. Hyper rare and they're one-use only. Manufactured by the Slayer Order via arcane rituals. The blood on the tips is there for a reason.

Vampire enemies in the game will be extremely rare and almost all of them will be unique named characters (the exception being the ones in training simulations). I am leaning towards the "every NPC will be killable" camp, but will have to see how much work it actually is.
Looking pretty good.
Castlevania vampire killer type weapons, then?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Weapons:

Melee

Obligatory hammer types, not simply police and riot control types, but also random stuff like some collectors medieval flanged mace that's blessed by some saint or some garbage.

Chainsaw

Axe types. Maybe a hand axe or hatchet plus something like a door breaker axe or similar that firemen use.

Ranged

At least one obligatory revolver type hand cannon.

Three shotguns - hunting, combat, makeshift. Each is capable of loading specific to them type of ammo.

Crossbow / Bow with different poison and such type options.

Also nonlethal options like taser and beanbag stuff

Weapon classes aren't finalized yet, they'll probably be broken down into what they do and how their mechanics work. But also importantly, how easy assets are to source.

View attachment 32286

Looking pretty good.
Castlevania vampire killer type weapons, then?

Pretty much, but they're single use weapons meant specifically to kill vampires. So, you won't be using these on humans or robots or anything else. They also disappear from your inventory after use.

Harthwain

Magister
Pretty much, but they're single use weapons meant specifically to kill vampires. So, you won't be using these on humans or robots or anything else. They also disappear from your inventory after use.
What happens when you use it on a non-vampire?

Norfleet

Either the game prevents you from doing something obviously stupid or unimplemented, or you waste it doing normal weakass damage and the weapon is wasted because the magic blood is ruined.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Same thing that happens if you stab someone with a letter opener: it's not a weapon optimized for combat, so it won't do as much damage as regular gear. But since it's not used on a vampire, it won't activate the vampire-killing effect and explode. My go-to idea is, as Norfleet said, to render it useless, but these weapons are actually pretty durable. It's the vampire's death process (which is... involved) that destroys them

One thing I do want to do is let the player retain the Nemesis weapons after they killed a vampire, and afterwards they could be forged into a weapon with traits specific to the vampire they were used to kill. Kind of like Dark Souls boss weapons.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That's a lot of thought for a techno-stake man.

Oh yeah dude, if I don't watch it this project will take me 10 years to complete and I'll die of poverty or a cheeto diet or something.

But hey, I'm in an unique position where I can actually fulltime solodev, so I'm gonna go balls to the wall on this thing.

Technomancer

Liturgist
So for this game I think I will reduce the number of weapons and instead focus on making them distinct mechanically and customizable. Just like how in the real world, elite military forces converge on the same few firearm platforms, that'll probably be true of vampires and their familiars, who can afford the best.
Add some slayer antivamp spike throwers, F.E.A.R. style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom