Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Video games aren't even hard to make. The hard part is managing a team of inflated egos that each want to make the game into a soapbox for their dumbass ideas.

0wca

Learned
For example, I think CDPR is an excellent development studio and I am confident they could deliver but I am imagine they busy with fixing Cyb 2077

:hmmm:
Your post made me laugh because I realized the unintentional contradiction in my post but what I meant is CDPR are the creators of the Witcher series and GOG

And in life to be fair to any reasonable judgement of a company or institution we need to look at the track record when we decide if something is good or bad or can it deliver. So yes Cyb 2077 is definitely not CDPR greatest achievement but they are fixing it and addressing the various issues. So if Cyb was the only game CDPR had released then I would question their ability to deliver any game
But its not so I look at their successes and their problematic projects and they have done more good than bad ?
But yes my point wasnt framed correctly ;)

You can fix bugs, performance and gameplay. You can't fix linear gameplay and boring writing.

Also, just because they can, doesn't mean they will.

EvilWolf

Learned
For example, I think CDPR is an excellent development studio and I am confident they could deliver but I am imagine they busy with fixing Cyb 2077

Your post made me laugh because I realized the unintentional contradiction in my post but what I meant is CDPR are the creators of the Witcher series and GOG

And in life to be fair to any reasonable judgement of a company or institution we need to look at the track record when we decide if something is good or bad or can it deliver. So yes Cyb 2077 is definitely not CDPR greatest achievement but they are fixing it and addressing the various issues. So if Cyb was the only game CDPR had released then I would question their ability to deliver any game
But its not so I look at their successes and their problematic projects and they have done more good than bad ?

You can fix bugs, performance and gameplay. You can't fix linear gameplay and boring writing.

What linear gameplay? You realize there are three seperate threads you can pursue, with several missions per thread, and you only even have to complete two (or one?) to finish the game, right? Yea there are two or three missions with sections in them that would qualify as "corridor shooter" but 90% of it is realistically open areas with multiple ways to deal with threats depending on how you spec'd your character, even the "corridor shooter" sections can be stealth'd. Did we even play the same game?

0wca

Learned

What linear gameplay? You realize there are three seperate threads you can pursue, with several missions per thread, and you only even have to complete two (or one?) to finish the game, right? Yea there are two or three missions with sections in them that would qualify as "corridor shooter" but 90% of it is realistically open areas with multiple ways to deal with threats depending on how you spec'd your character, even the "corridor shooter" sections can be stealth'd. Did we even play the same game?

First of all, C&C stands for choice and consequence not merely choice. Second, an open world game does not constitute an RPG, it's just means you can go wherever you want.

I assume the lifepaths are the three "threads" you mentioned. They pretty much just change your starting location and the first few hours of gameplay then it connects to the same linear progression with very little difference between each path from that point on.

Bugs and retarded law enforcement response aside, there isn't much of an RPG there to begin with. You probably think that what constitutes one is gaining levels and having some sort of ability tree and that retarded standard was set by F4. The dialogue choices are there but they barely differ in response or outcome, they're just there to give you the illusion of choice.

So yeah, if CDPR is in charge of making the next Bloodlines, the sequel to one of the most replayable RPGs of all time, then yeah, I'm not keeping my hopes up, especially when the writer of the original quit and the game is based on the setting-weak 5e.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Lol beliving in anything you read on that tranny site 4chan you guys really are retarted. Game is either in limbo or paradox found some no name developer who will cobble something together from leftover assets on the cheap side there is no other option :lol::lol::lol:

I come bearing tiny gifts of Bloodlines 2 drama from stuff made available by one drunk person at a media event in Brighton, UK. This was back in August. I don't really have anything better than this as a "source" so if you want to tell me to fuck myself, I completely understand, but I see we're having fun with the CDPR 4Chan post so why not this as well.

1. The Chinese Room is in fact the new studio for Bloodlines 2. This wasn't The Chinese Room's choice. This was Sumo, their parent company's choice. Some in the studio aren't happy with this due to being treated like a boutique studio who can turn around some disaster into an RPG but they're trying hence why they're going on a hiring spree for a new branch they've opened up.

2. Hardsuit Labs sent Bloodlines 2 in a over a thousand zipped files that were randomly numbered. Some say it was because Hardsuit Labs were disorganized. Others say they did it as a "fuck you." Either way, the final verdict on Hardsuit's game from Paradox was "not fun." Others say it was a "total disaster."

3. The Chinese Room are going to try to re-use whatever assets they can. The writing, the missions, the characters are all being done from scratch. I don't know if they're going to keep some of the characters that have been shown off to the public but basically, it's safe to expect a different story set in Seattle.

4. Like any project hand-over, most of it had to be thrown out. The lighting from Hardsuit's version was, "completely fucking broken."

5. Hardsuit did """"""""finish"""""""" the game. It was technically playable from beginning to end and content complete.

6. The Chinese Room has got like ~2ish years to get this game out the door. Mostly junior staff are working on it.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I come bearing tiny gifts of Bloodlines 2 drama from stuff made available by one drunk person at a media event in Brighton, UK. This was back in August. I don't really have anything better than this as a "source" so if you want to tell me to fuck myself, I completely understand, but I see we're having fun with the CDPR 4Chan post so why not this as well.

1. The Chinese Room is in fact the new studio for Bloodlines 2. This wasn't The Chinese Room's choice. This was Sumo, their parent company's choice. Some in the studio aren't happy with this due to being treated like a boutique studio who can turn around some disaster into an RPG but they're trying hence why they're going on a hiring spree for a new branch they've opened up.

2. Hardsuit Labs sent Bloodlines 2 in a over a thousand zipped files that were randomly numbered. Some say it was because Hardsuit Labs were disorganized. Others say they did it as a "fuck you." Either way, the final verdict on Hardsuit's game from Paradox was "not fun." Others say it was a "total disaster."

3. The Chinese Room are going to try to re-use whatever assets they can. The writing, the missions, the characters are all being done from scratch. I don't know if they're going to keep some of the characters that have been shown off to the public but basically, it's safe to expect a different story set in Seattle.

4. Like any project hand-over, most of it had to be thrown out. The lighting from Hardsuit's version was, "completely fucking broken."

5. Hardsuit did """"""""finish"""""""" the game. It was technically playable from beginning to end and content complete.

6. The Chinese Room has got like ~2ish years to get this game out the door. Mostly junior staff are working on it.
Sounds fascinating.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

:retarded:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, I don't get that either - unless Paradox truly thought Hardsuit's story was irredeemably horrible (which would explain why Mitsoda got kicked!)

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

It was much worse than the original from 2004 why are you suprised :hahano::hahano:

Look at the fucking facial animations.

Xelocix

Learned

It was much worse than the original from 2004 why are you suprised :hahano::hahano:

Look at the fucking facial animations.

Once again

Fh5vMiz.png

zbDD499.png

Deflowerer

Arcane
Still don't get who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea to give a game of this calibre to someone like Hardsuit. Based on their track record, I'd give them something easier at first to test their mettle.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I have to say if this is true, this is great news. For me.

Thanks for all the marketing Paradox, it'll certainly come in handy when I release my isometric vampire game.

:hero:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
dear esther and the kidney stones was top notch. can't wait for the results.

Previous walking sims have no bearing on how their future games will turn out.

In late July 2017, The Chinese Room's directors, Dan Pinchbeck and Jessica Curry, laid off the entire staff—at that point eight people—and ditched their Brighton office for home. They cited the lack of ability to pay their staff during the interim between projects as the reason for the closure, and expressed their intentions that the studio itself was still running without the development team, with Pinchbeck and Curry working on prototyping and acquiring funds on their own time. The company released a VR title, So Let Us Melt, for Google Daydream in September, which was the final project of the former studio. At the time, Pinchbeck, Curry, and Andrew Crawshaw were working alone on the studio's next project, 13th Interior, which was to push away from the "walking simulator" model the studio had been known for.

In August 2018, Sumo Group, the parent company of Sumo Digital, acquired The Chinese Room for GB£2.2 million, making it the fourth UK-based studio under Sumo Digital. Co-founder Pinchbeck took the role of creative director for The Chinese Room, while Curry continued as an independent composer for the studio.

Sumo Digital paid 3 million dollars to own a name and two employees, pretty amused at how allegedly some people aren't happy about "being treated like a boutique studio" when that is in fact what they are.

Still don't get who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea to give a game of this calibre to someone like Hardsuit. Based on their track record, I'd give them something easier at first to test their mettle.

Avellone went over this in his medium article. It was entirely because Mitsoda and Avellone were attached and pitching it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not surprising Trannyline 2 story got tossed in the incinerator. It had a raging cuck and his lay doing most of the writing and quests. Judging by everything they said, it had to be the most obnoxious, manifesto driven plot that was created. Paradox decided to nip that cancer in the bud and fired the cuck mitosda.

I only tried one game from Chinese room, a Machine for pigs and it was decently written with good horror themes, so they could not do any worse than cucksoda.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Avellone went over this in his medium article. It was entirely because Mitsoda and Avellone were attached and pitching it.

Relevant Avellone quote from the article (which is worth a read):

However, what some people may be unaware of, Paradox did not approach the actual developer, Hardsuit Labs… Hardsuit Labs (who also haven’t done RPGs to my knowledge) were the ones who pitched the project to Paradox.

Also relevant:

I worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost 2 and a half years, from 2016 to mid-2018, then my contract came to an end. They didn’t use anything I wrote during that time, which was a number of major characters and side missions, check my LinkedIn. This made me sad, but it’s not my choice.

More :retarded:.

Anybody know Avellone's rate? Probably way more than I can afford, but curious.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I think Paradox is trying to spend the less possible after, what I think, may have been a really huge amount with hardsuit labs (that was also bought by them).
Everything is going in the direction of a disaster, more disastery than already it was.

J1M

Arcane

Would be nice if it leaked if truly playable.

Hellion

Arcane
A studio like The Chinese Room working on an RPG like Bloodlines reminds me of a director like Lynch doing a Dune movie. It might end up great but for all the wrong reasons. Really excited at the possibilities.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
More :retarded:.

Anybody know Avellone's rate? Probably way more than I can afford, but curious.

It's a mystery, but no doubt very high when he's not scaling it down for indies.

His work getting thrown out is all on Mitsoda, which he alluded to more or less

To be clear, me and Brian Mitsoda don’t get along. This is because he is way too tall, and I hate his fingerless gloves. He probably hates me because I am short and I do not wear gloves that aren’t made from human skin. Despite our height differences and choice of gloves, however, I have a lot of respect for him.

Guess it may forever be a mystery if Brian was throwing out Chris's submissions because it didn't fit his vision or if it was some petty revenge over Alpha Protocol. He certainly wasn't throwing out the work submitted by his Hardsuit harem.
Ug5jEw0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguey, you are the only one reading that sentence by MCA as literal and jumping to the conclusion that Brian was throwing MCA work out. It is just a way to show your respect to someone in a humorous way, unless you really think MCA does not like Brian for being too tall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom