Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Delterius

Arcane
Nah Vampire Masquerade always was full edgyness and angst. Vampires cant taste anything but the mystical taste of blood/vitae.
pretty sure i remember there's lore about ancient vampires feeding herbs and spice to their blood dolls and it ain't recent

vampires can barely taste something if its really enmeshed with the blood. like alcohol. it just barely matters to them compared to the blood.

Semiurge

Cipher
Nah Vampire Masquerade always was full edgyness and angst. Vampires cant taste anything but the mystical taste of blood/vitae.
pretty sure i remember there's lore about ancient vampires feeding herbs and spice to their blood dolls and it ain't recent

vampires can barely taste something if its really enmeshed with the blood. like alcohol. it just barely matters to them compared to the blood.

Like really degenerate alcoholics. They don't care about the flavors or savouring the taste, only the alcohol content matters.

Wesp5

Arcane

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I finally see this gameplay. Huh, even finished, this game would look at best like "House Party" with a bad combat module (and much less fun). I have this scene in my mind - HS finally allows an executive from Paradox to see a gameplay. They lock themselves in a dark room, the gameplay is playing from a projector, and a pile of men and transsexuals with malebuns are sitting against the wall biting their nails. The presentation ends, the Paradox producer gets up and leaves without saying a word. The next day, HS receives an email: "You are fired."

By the way, what was "Resonance" supposed to mean on the character UI?

Wesp5

Arcane
The presentation ends, the Paradox producer gets up and leaves without saying a word. The next day, HS receives an email: "You are fired."

The funny thing is, that both Paradox producers connected to Bloodlines 2 already had left Paradox before Mitsoda and HSL were fired...

La vie sexuelle

Learned
By the way, what was "Resonance" supposed to mean on the character UI?
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Blood_Resonance

Thank you.

It looks like something between JRPG gems and poor crafting.

The presentation ends, the Paradox producer gets up and leaves without saying a word. The next day, HS receives an email: "You are fired."

The funny thing is, that both Paradox producers connected to Bloodlines 2 already had left Paradox before Mitsoda and HSL were fired...

Did they manage to escape the consequences of their decisions or were they simply forced to leave?

Anyway, it does not matter.

I heard that they are going to reveal the clans from January. I wonder if they will change the set. I wonder if the Malkavians are still with us?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I finally see this gameplay. Huh, even finished, this game would look at best like "House Party" with a bad combat module (and much less fun).
I like the environments. Lots of nice details. Hell, even the lets-play-it-safe-and-make-a-ripoff-of-Ocean-House sequence is ok. However, calling the combat "bad" is being gentle. It is atrocious! The lip sync on that guard in the first vid is terrible as well. If there were no improvements, I can see why Paradox wasn't happy.

deuxhero

Arcane
Lip sync is typically one of the last thing done in games since that's likely to change. Indeed, most VA until just before release will typically be team members doing placeholder like this

Moink

Cipher
I heard that they are going to reveal the clans from January. I wonder if they will change the set. I wonder if the Malkavians are still with us?
Clan reveals are meant to be between now and the end of the year, at least according to the website:
Between today and the end of 2023, we will reveal all playable clans in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. In the opening months of 2024, we will reveal gameplay and go into depth on disciplines, playstyles and the experience of playing the game as each clan.
Guessing they will start in October (Halloween).

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Clan reveals are meant to be between now and the end of the year, at least according to the website:
Between today and the end of 2023, we will reveal all playable clans in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. In the opening months of 2024, we will reveal gameplay and go into depth on disciplines, playstyles and the experience of playing the game as each clan.
Guessing they will start in October (Halloween).

Oh, I messed it up again. You're right.

JRPG gems
could you be less specific

Gems.

I finally see this gameplay. Huh, even finished, this game would look at best like "House Party" with a bad combat module (and much less fun).
I like the environments. Lots of nice details. Hell, even the lets-play-it-safe-and-make-a-ripoff-of-Ocean-House sequence is ok. However, calling the combat "bad" is being gentle. It is atrocious! The lip sync on that guard in the first vid is terrible as well. If there were no improvements, I can see why Paradox wasn't happy.

Personally, I don't really like the artistic direction they chose. According to the latest trends in technology, we see many, too many streaks of light and flashes. It reminds me too much of cheap horror games on Steam, whose creators want to show what they can do at all costs and end up overdoing it. It still looks okay on the streets, but if the rooms are divided into "white foggy" and "just yellow" then something is wrong.

If I feel any loss from this build, it's that busty lady from the trailer.

notpl

Arbiter
i also disagree with the notion that bloodlines wasn't an action rpg. the combat wasn't good. but i'm pretty sure that drinking people dry in combat, exploding them into blood, stealth sections, and so much more. people who play bloodlines 1 don't say wow i wish this was a novel instead. they wish it was made with better tech.
Yeah, I've seen multiple people in multiple places hype up Night Road as the best VtM since Bloodlines. But who's actually playing?

11.0 k .. 30.4 k on reviews
~63.7 k by PlayTracker
~16.6 k by VG Insights
~55.0 k by SteamSpy

Like I said, I have extreme doubts that Paradox would take their biggest VtM property and make it more like one of the other less-successful properties (whether Night Road or Redemption).
Night Road is fucking dogshit. Clan reactivity is nonexistent, all the disciplines are just "pay 1 vitae to auto-pass a skill check," you pick one of a couple endings with a single choice at the last moment. It's genuinely less reactive and freeform than Bloodlines itself, a fully 3d action-rpg made in 2004, and all they had to do was write some mediocre prose. Couldn't possibly have taken the author longer than a weekend to crank it out, I kind of admire the brass fucking balls to charge $20 for it as though it were even on the level of a bad indie game.

It barely even has dialogue, really. Comparing it to Bloodlines is absurd.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
i also disagree with the notion that bloodlines wasn't an action rpg. the combat wasn't good. but i'm pretty sure that drinking people dry in combat, exploding them into blood, stealth sections, and so much more. people who play bloodlines 1 don't say wow i wish this was a novel instead. they wish it was made with better tech.
Yeah, I've seen multiple people in multiple places hype up Night Road as the best VtM since Bloodlines. But who's actually playing?

11.0 k .. 30.4 k on reviews
~63.7 k by PlayTracker
~16.6 k by VG Insights
~55.0 k by SteamSpy

Like I said, I have extreme doubts that Paradox would take their biggest VtM property and make it more like one of the other less-successful properties (whether Night Road or Redemption).
Night Road is fucking dogshit. Clan reactivity is nonexistent, all the disciplines are just "pay 1 vitae to auto-pass a skill check," you pick one of a couple endings with a single choice at the last moment. It's genuinely less reactive and freeform than Bloodlines itself, a fully 3d action-rpg made in 2004, and all they had to do was write some mediocre prose. Couldn't possibly have taken the author longer than a weekend to crank it out, I kind of admire the brass fucking balls to charge $20 for it as though it were even on the level of a bad indie game.

11,79 euromoney for text game? Pff!

Moink

Cipher
When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.

Most action games offer a power fantasy; I like to call ours a confidence fantasy. When you have a supernatural edge and immortality to back you up, there should be a sense of “I know what is going on and, I can control this situation.” We want to give you the tools to do that in combat, conversations, or travelling across the city. When they come together, you should be immersed in the feeling of being a Vampire.

Not sure I like the sound of this honestly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
BamHam is more appropriate for a vampire game than Dishonored. +M

Cross

Arcane
When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator.
Dishonored was already a player fantasy. If they regarded that as too hardcore an experience, it's basically a confirmation that the combat in Bloodlines 2 will be braindead.

With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.
No mention of stealth, lockpicking, hacking or any other non-combat skills. My earlier prediction about this being a glorified action game looks increasingly accurate. :M

They could do lots of interesting things with the Disciplines, like letting you use Animalism to take control of a rat or insect to scout ahead. I'm not holding out much hope though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom