Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Throughout development, we’ve been regulars in Stockholm at World of Darkness HQ to discuss and align the opportunities for stories, characters, gameplay and crossovers that this IP gives us as creators and fans.

Ha! Finally some control from Paradox. Good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My earlier prediction about this being a glorified action game looks increasingly accurate.
Saying this in response to a paragraph about non-combat gameplay is very tunnel-visioned.

Cross

Arcane
My earlier prediction about this being a glorified action game looks increasingly accurate.
Saying this in response to a paragraph about non-combat gameplay is very tunnel-visioned.
That paragraph described the player pulling a lever and using a keycard to open a door. Is Doom an RPG now?

They could just come out and say something like "stealth is improved and you can now carry bodies, unlike the first Bloodlines". They aren't because all signs point to this being a glorified action game.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I hope this will be a good game, but until I try it and find out, there's no way of knowing. Until now we've had exactly nothing solid to base any opinion on, just rumors and speculations. The dev diaries will give more insight, but ultimately it will have to be the final product once released.

Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!

Vincente

Arbiter
and using a keycard to open a door.
Screenshot_2023-09-20-21-06-13-653_com.google.android.youtube2.jpg

:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That paragraph described the player pulling a lever and using a keycard to open a door. Is Doom an RPG now?

That describes things they will no longer be doing. Non-combat gameplay will be "things only a vampire can do," whatever that will be.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
11,79 euromoney for text game? Pff!

Some text CYOAs are genuinely good, although they're incredibly rare compared to the usual young adult romance drivel that sells well in that medium.

I've recently come across the Infinity Sea series which I would recommend if you're into Sharpe-esque fantastical settings.

Caim

Arcane
That describes things they will no longer be doing. Non-combat gameplay will be "things only a vampire can do," whatever that will be.
Maybe that "turn into smoke and fly through a ventilation shaft" thing we saw in the now scrapped versions of the game.

Wesp5

Arcane

Yeah, to uphold the Masquerade you only do vampire stuff and nothing that normal human beings would do to not be noticed.

The President

Educated
I’m very curious how Seattle will look in the game. The promo art gives me more of an NYC feel and I say that as a native. I do want the place to look more like Seattle. Never been there, but the jungle and other types of locations from HSL version did have a lot of potential.

Delterius

Arcane

Yeah, to uphold the Masquerade you only do vampire stuff and nothing that normal human beings would do to not be noticed.
to be fair nobody would be like wow is that mist coming out of the tube must be a ghost

otoh 'stealth' is harder than it looks when its not functional invisibility

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Some text CYOAs are genuinely good, although they're incredibly rare compared to the usual young adult romance drivel that sells well in that medium.

I've recently come across the Infinity Sea series which I would recommend if you're into Sharpe-esque fantastical settings.
I'm not questioning the intrinsic value of a game like this, I just doubt it deserves this price.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I'm not questioning the intrinsic value of a game like this, I just doubt it deserves this price.

I might try it just to see if it's shit or not. I need something to fall asleep to anyways.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I might try it just to see if it's shit or not. I need something to fall asleep to anyways.

Try mine ASMR:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm like 20 minutes into Night Roads and I already hate all the characters, and not in a good way.
I was always curious to give that a try (I'm ok with just text games) and I really like the setting (a courier, because of the Second Inquisition). But no idea if the writing and characters would get me into it.

Would have been a great premise for a video game though.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm like 20 minutes into Night Roads and I already hate all the characters, and not in a good way.
I was always curious to give that a try (I'm ok with just text games) and I really like the setting (a courier, because of the Second Inquisition). But no idea if the writing and characters would get me into it.

Would have been a great premise for a video game though.

I'm not too far into it, so maybe my opinion will change later on. The writing itself is pretty serviceable, but the characterization seems weak and reliant on tropes. One central character is especially insufferable (I'm assuming people who played the game would instantly know who I'm talking about) as he is essentially an anime genius, and teleports around so he shows up in all the key scenes.

The narrative seems more devoted to him than to the player, and has the gall to pull the following move, paraphrased:

Anime dude: Yeah so we fucked before right? Because I'm so awesome.

>No, you made that up.
>Yeah I loved it.
>Yeah but now I hate you.
>Yeah but I'm sad now.

:hmmm:

The codex official thread also seems to not be super praise-full of this game: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...teractive-fictions-by-choice-of-games.132807/

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Which does sound ridiculous. I mean, using vampire abilities in non-combat situations is fine & expected (unless it is a shitty game like Vampir from another walking-sim dev), but saying that every single situation is going to be resolved via those, come on.
The only examples which come to mind of such a gameplay are all comedy-level, like your pc turning into mist to come through a door instead of just pulling the handle, and then we get an off-screen laughter.

Now I think the game is going to be a mix of this

and this

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Which does sound ridiculous. I mean, using vampire abilities in non-combat situations is fine & expected (unless it is a shitty game like Vampir from another walking-sim dev), but saying that every single situation is going to be resolved via those, come on.
The only examples which come to mind of such a gameplay are all comedy-level, like your pc turning into mist to come through a door instead of just pulling the handle, and then we get an off-screen laughter.

Now I think the game is going to be a mix of this

and this

Concept of vampirism, or horror generally, is borderline comedic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom