Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
and as Tim Cain will tell you, almost one one wants to play as an ugly nosferatu.
This is exactly the kind of thought that proves who shouldn't be anywhere near gaming. Nosferatu is the embodiment of stealth gameplay. People who want to be stealthy will take it (and because hacking is cool). If you want pretty vampires, you take Toreadors. Unless you actually pick clans for their gameplay. Assuming your vampires have a distinct gameplay related to their clan origins in the first place.
Eh, any clan can be sneaky and put points into sneaking and hacking. Malkavians also get obfuscate.

Vincente

Arbiter
they all look like wannabe Toreadors or Malkavs.
This makes no sense.
There's nothing about those designs that signals rigid hierarchies, monolithic clan structure, science magic, or really any other trait associated with Tremere.
Do you want the character to run around in a big, puffy robe instead? The outfit with the overcoat and gold chain around the waist looks like what a Tremere would wear.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, any clan can be sneaky and put points into sneaking and hacking. Malkavians also get obfuscate.
That's a bad design. Clans should be specialized.
You have your own idea of the way things "should" be that have never been supported by the rules.
vamp.jpg

Clans determine vampire-specific strengths, weaknesses, and disciplines, not what human-specific abilities you have access to.

Harthwain

Magister
You have your own idea of the way things "should" be that have never been supported by the rules.
I was talking about gameplay, not rules.

Arguing that Nosferatu won't be picked by people in a DLC because they are ugly is dumb argument when you can offer players something more than slightly different facial texture with each clan (and you can even justify this as DLC by arguing that much more work goes into this kind of content). It's even more ironic considering it was Troika who tried to do something interesting with the clans (and with Nosferatu in particular) by providing a bit more unique gameplay for them in Bloodlines. The real problem was they didn't go far enough.

Harthwain

Magister
But it's real. No one at the Activision Q&A played Nosferatu when Troika gave them the game because everyone thought they were ugly.
It's shitty Q&A then. They should've playtested everything. It's literally their job. By the way, I played Nosferatu as my first character. Even though it wasn't my job.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Do you want the character to run around in a big, puffy robe instead? The outfit with the overcoat and gold chain around the waist looks like what a Tremere would wear.

It looks like generic goth-with-a-fashion-sense tripe that permeates most of the visuals of modern Vampire, born from flanderisation, Tumblerosis and a general misunderstanding of what drives the visuals of the individual clans.

A Brujah can wear a suit and still project the image of a rebel warrior. A Nosferatu can rock a Hawaiian shirt and be a skulking shadow. Venture can look like a ganger and be a leader still. It's all in the attitude.

Manners Maketh Kindred, and that tastless, genderless blob conveys none, regardless of how much flavour they're trying to sprinkle on top.

Vincente

Arbiter
A Brujah can wear a suit and still project the image of a rebel warrior. A Nosferatu can rock a Hawaiian shirt and be a skulking shadow. Venture can look like a ganger and be a leader still. It's all in the attitude.
Just in your previous post you were saying that none of the outfits look "enough Tremere", now you're saying that outfits and how they look like don't matter at all and it's the attitude that matters?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
If you're going to visually code the clans through clothing, the clothing should actually try and reflect some clan trait.

Vincente

Arbiter
If you're going to visually code the clans through clothing, the clothing should actually try and reflect some clan trait.
Please do tell how you are supposed to show "rigid hierarchies and monolithic clan structure" through clothing and clothing alone. Do you want them to have a nametag that says "Regent" ?

Caim

Arcane
But it's real. No one at the Activision Q&A played Nosferatu when Troika gave them the game because everyone thought they were ugly.
It's shitty Q&A then. They should've playtested everything. It's literally their job. By the way, I played Nosferatu as my first character. Even though it wasn't my job.
No, these Q&A firms are external firms hired to find bugs and report them. They get paid by the bug, so they have to find a lot of them. They don't 1000% complete a game to find all the bugs.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Please do tell how you are supposed to show "rigid hierarchies and monolithic clan structure" through clothing and clothing alone.

That's a question the people responsible for this "concept art" should have been asking, yes?

Here's some notes off the top of my head.

Avoid diagonals and curves, keep the lines neatly vertical and horizontal. Minimal jewellery. Tremere are pragmatic and practical. Militaristic and militarized styling, but not too much - form fitting miliary jackets are okay, but lose the golden epaulettes. A clan that's a fortress under siege, a chest to chest wall against outsiders. Use some synthetic materials, for a bit of a modern scientific mind touch, avoid ostentation. Tremere uphold the Masquerade more than anyone else, even in small things. They blend in, not make an effort to stand out.

It's not as easy as Brujah = Punk and Ventrue = two row suit and diamond cufflinks, and in my opinion shouldn't be done at all, but it's not impossible either.

Vincente

Arbiter
That's a question the people responsible for this "concept art" should have been asking, yes?
But they did give their reasons and the aesthetic reason why they went with such style.

Avoid diagonals and curves, keep the lines neatly vertical and horizontal. Minimal jewellery. Tremere are pragmatic and practical. Militaristic and militarized styling, but not too much - form fitting miliary jackets are okay, but lose the golden epaulettes.
IMG_20240323_191104.jpg

So literally this? Form-fitting jacket, straight, vertical, horizontal. Minimal jewellery. Has a military aesthetic about it.

Semiurge

Cipher

They can, but considering how a clan influences the criteria with which each vampire chooses to sire a specific human, it's more likely that each neonate represents the average aesthetical tendencies of its clan. So it's very unlikely that a newborn Ventrue would look like a derelict, for example. They select their stock from a different pool entirely, but to look like a bum would be entirely normal for a Malkavian.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
All this arguing is sort of missing the forest for the trees. Toreador? Pointless, its locked to fps. Ugly Nosfer? Who cares, locked to fps (and locked protag). Character sheet? Pointless, we arent getting an RPG.

What we are most likely getting is an A to B action adventure fps that at its very best might play something like Dark Messiah. Without weapon variety apparently. Or a succubus romance option.

We would be better served just burning TCR to the ground and giving Wesp a million bucks to do it himself as a hobby.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My favorite part of this whole debacle is the marketing team having no idea what they're doing and just fanning the flames.

I can only imagine what's happening in their meetings.

"Why don't they like it?"

"Toxic gamer chuds!"

"Quick, throw up some MORE concept art!"

1711222334184.png

Fargus

Arcane
My favorite part of this whole debacle is the marketing team having no idea what they're doing and just fanning the flames.

I can only imagine what's happening in their meetings.

"Why don't they like it?"

"Toxic gamer chuds!"

"Quick, throw up some MORE concept art!"

View attachment 47943

They probably cum in their pants from all this. Chinkoid Room strikes me as the kind of studio that would love to ruin someone elses work or shit on a beloved franchise and it's fans. The kind of studio that this God forsaken industry is filled with atm.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
What we are most likely getting is an A to B action adventure fps that at its very best might play something like Dark Messiah. Without weapon variety apparently. Or a succubus romance option.

Dark Messiah was a great game, I haven't had such fun kicking enemies since :)!

We would be better served just burning TCR to the ground and giving Wesp a million bucks to do it himself as a hobby.

No chance at all, it took me 20 years to fix a game that was almost finished ;)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom