Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
We know the game is shit, no need to derail the thread.

But the answer to that is to balance the game properly as to provide a believable experience
The answer is to have unique and specific systems for unique and specific circumstances. You can't build a political framework of IG's on European model and then apply it to mudhuts in the middle of Africa. But exactly this is what killed nu-Paradox titles to begin with - especially EU4. Shifting focus from eurocentrism and ingame systems built on eurocentric vision and then half-assedly blanket applying them onto the rest of the map.
It's really obvious that you people want a historically inspired sandbox, rather than a realistic grand strategy and that's cool and all, but some people strive for immersion over freedom.

Vatnik Wumao
But the answer to that is to balance the game properly as to provide a believable experience
The answer is to have unique and specific systems for unique and specific circumstances.
Yeah, see how well that worked for the bloatware that is EUIV.

It's really obvious that you people want a historically inspired sandbox, rather than a realistic grand strategy and that's cool and all, but some people strive for immersion over freedom.
Nah, I want a realistic grand strategy with coherent gameplay systems (like the IG one which can be universalized just fine, it's just a matter of finding the right balance in how much certain IGs hamper your political & economic options + having various tag-dependent traits like the Bakufu one for the Japanese landowners in order to better reflect cultural particularities that can't be feasibly simulated outside of such abstractions). You want railroading as a bandaid solution to bad simulation while I want better simulation.

you know you can't play those ones right
You're kidding, right? 80% of those tags in Africa that were added in to bloat the map are playable meme countries that should've been """decentralized nations""".

Yeah, see how well that worked for the bloatware that is EUIV.
EU4 is literally the best example of how to do it wrong. That's why you get AI Africa and native americans catching up to Europe during 1700s due to how batshit retarded institutions are and a plethora other absurdities. Whereas these """countries""" simply used to be blank slates to simulate colonization and not waste processing power.

Vatnik Wumao
you know you can't play those ones right
You're kidding, right? 80% of those tags in Africa that were added in to bloat the map are playable meme countries that should've been """decentralized nations""".
Hence it being an issue of balancing, not of the system itself. More of those tags should've been kept decentralized while all centralized tags should have a harder time modernizing depending on how backwards they are at game start.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The worst part of paradox going full libtard after that british lead dev went out is that many liberal tards had started playing their franchises as evidenced by this topic. You can see the discrepancy between them going full mainstream when you compare number of people who had played march of the eagles and ck3/victoria 3. It's like you compare slitherine/matrix games and HoI4 number of players. You will get insufferable retardo newcomers that will leave a pile of turd the devs have to smear and work with. The kind of retards who asked about trade system respond "meh it's ok, im more interested in talking about gay abraham lincoln", this the kind of modern uneducated shitheads who contribute nothing to push devs to get us better systems, as long as some minority is represented. If you want POZ or gay romances, just leave our historical economic games, and buy plenty of shit thats on steam which cater to your needs.

Anyway, i see that paradox forums are more lenient in criticism and memes than before, which i consider a good change. Maybe this time they thought that censoring too much would be even worse for the game rating.

thesecret1

Arcane
Anyway, i see that paradox forums are more lenient in criticism and memes than before, which i consider a good change. Maybe this time they thought that censoring too much would be even worse for the game rating.
Really? When I peeked there a couple days ago, it was pretty busy with sucking the devs off as usual

Vatnik Wumao
Really? When I peeked there a couple days ago, it was pretty busy with sucking the devs off as usual
It's almost Resetera tier when it comes to politics and arguments between users.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Don't confuse a discussion in a civil manner with sucking the dev cock. You can't swear or throw niggerfaggots at pdx forum, but there's nothing preventing you to make a post with actually good arguments. Will that influence devs? Maybe, maybe not, anyway if you have spare time you can always write a post there.

thesecret1

Arcane
Don't confuse a discussion in a civil manner with sucking the dev cock.
I'm not. For each post saying that there was maybe something not entirely perfect, there were five guys shouting that the poster is an ignoramus and that the game is perfect. As always, really

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not. For each post saying that there was maybe something not entirely perfect, there were five guys shouting that the poster is an ignoramus and that the game is perfect. As always, really

I dont see that, the votes are equally split on controversial topics. There are always manbabies who are insecure when someone criticize their toys around whom their lives revolve.

Vatnik Wumao
New dev diary.

V3-PostLaunch-ForLoc.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, is it true the game is balanced in such a way that turning multiculturalist makes you disproportionately more powerful because of the amount of pops you attract?

Delterius

Arcane
So, is it true the game is balanced in such a way that turning multiculturalist makes you disproportionately more powerful because of the amount of pops you attract?
Yeah you can get new world tier migration anywhere in the world as long as you have open borders / booming economy / as little discrimination as possible. Everyone can be the USA. What compounds this is that the AI isn't great at playing the game so most countries outside of France have poor population growth. Seem like the devs are gonna add radicalization for primary culture pops due to not having state religion / not favoring them culturally. What this means is that you'll have to do free speech + guaranteed liberties and pay bureaucracy costs to offset it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So it's shaping up to be "The Culture Wars game".

Respect for this guy who chose to forego any enjoyment he was going to take from this game in order to meticulously test it for us:
A guy I used to watch for Vic 2 videos made a decent summary/review.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So... wait 3 to 4 years for patches and mods to salvage this thing?

Got it. Back to my Gigastructures in Stellaris.
I remember it was the same with HoI 4. It used to be that having multiple hundreds of hours in Paradox games was a sign of prestige, but with HoI4 and Victoria 3 it's turning into an admission you've been playing an unfinished game for the first couple of years.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's true and one of the biggest flaw in the game, you enact it there's absolutely no downside , people get along together just like that because you passed a law. Eventually some conservative groups may try to get you to revert it but they are easily crushed. Going segregation and racism, no advantages at all , it should at least bolster military and reduce turmoil...
However unlike what people are thinking full right wing ruthless capitalism is the best way to play so far, multiculturalism to get many workers, child labor , no wellfare at all, secret police, home affairs . The one of thing that could make me collapse is enabling wellfare laws and worker protection, the drain on ressources is colossal and enough to never recover. The other thing is not getting oil , you absolutely need some to make end game techs.Last error possible is switching to new oil techs too fast. It's slow and play more like an anno game than a victoria game.
I was surprised people were never asking for any progress and while every european countries werein turmoil with bolchevik or fascist revolution i was completely stable.Not so bad game after all.

Delterius

Arcane
Like I said, they wanna implement trade offs to discrimination laws into pop radicalization. Multiculturalism would allow people to enter your country, assimilate, and hate the next group of people entering the country. Personally if I run that sort of hyper migration palooza I wanna struggle to maintain it politicallly and, currently, the people who oppose Multiculturalism tend to be too weak compared to the capitalists and the intelligentsia. Another thing I think the devs mentioned is another level of discrimination between cultural exclusion and full multiculturalism.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This all sounds more simplistic than Vicky 2, for now at least. The nice thing about Vicky 2, and to some extent this applies to EUIV is that it's possible to unknowingly miss opportunities and while believing you are doing well, you are actually setting yourself up for a disaster by straining one system or another too much. That's one of the rare higher-order historical regularities that the games were getting right, likely not due to conscious design.

thesecret1

Arcane
Yeah. Basically, you want as many bodies in your factories as humanly possible. There is no difference between a nigger from Congo and a Belgian Academic (both can do any job no problem weeks after they get off the ship, basically), and the penalties for having someone with different culture and religion are pathetic, and will be instantly offset by the fact your economy is making them super wealthy.

Really, I think this is the biggest weakness of the system... I'm running a country with child labour, zero labour protections of any kind, zero welfare, and I'm constantly attracting cheap labour from absolute shitholes... So why the fuck is everyone so well off? Nobody minds working in a sweatshop because he's drowning in money a couple paychecks in. Living standards of everybody are through the roof all thanks to having them produce adidas knockoffs or something, so nobody minds any bullshit you pull – you could probably send half of them to death camps, and the other half would be patting you on the back, saying everyone makes mistakes, and asking whether that means they can pull double shifts now.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Game at the moment is: everything Left/Progressive = Good, everything Right/Traditional = Bad.
have you played vicky 2

I briefly looked at it but the combat is wack-a-mole cancer so I never really played much. I did get the impression it was slightly less extreme with the "woke propaganda" than this version but I could be wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom