Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Tyrr

Liturgist
Every game, US gets fucked and lag behind.

u0vf4Ut.jpg
EeSPw1y.jpg

wtf

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
On the mod front, I’ve been using ‘Anbeeld’s Revision of AI’ with some success. It improves the AI scripts for research and building, leading to generally much higher levels of development around the world, stronger AI nations and more nationalists causing a more coherent Germany and Italy.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
On the mod front, I’ve been using ‘Anbeeld’s Revision of AI’ with some success. It improves the AI scripts for research and building, leading to generally much higher levels of development around the world, stronger AI nations and more nationalists causing a more coherent Germany and Italy.

Yeah its really good, at 1900 some countries have almost 25 SoL, whereas in vanilla it was consistently 5 lower.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finally got the Ottoman reform, it was kinda hard with the 20 year limit, mostly because the UI is terrible as some missions are misleading or unclear. I think that is the best the game can offer, I dread to try Prussia next as probably it will be a breeze.

tMF0qwU.jpg

Reina

Arcane

More importantly, it makes AI finally produce some late-game goods like Oil or Rubber. In my Brazil game, despite being #1 since year ~1900 and having an interest in the entire world, I could not import a litre of Oil, because only a few states produced it, in scarce numbers.

After playing a bit for a weekend (I got two games to1920, then late-game lag and tedium made me quit), I have come to the realization that while the economy is finally a coherent and working system (my only caveat is a binary trade system - I'd like to see more flexibility and some movements without central government running every trade deal), diplomatic side of the game is a total mess. AI participates in plays/wars without proper logic. Dominions/puppets regularly defy their masters in plays, there's no real benefit to having them other than small tribute/access to market (which can sometimes be detrimental). AI can't handle turmoil and after ~1890s, revolutions eat up the entire third world (sometimes hilariously blocking player - playing as Persia, I could not annex Omani port in Luristan because it was in permanent rebellion against Muscat, and for some reason I could not target those rebels with any diplo play - while Omani government had no means to launch an invasion, leaving situation in 100-years deadlock).

Overall, I still think it's a better foundation than Victoria 2 (Did people forget how buggy/unpolished that release was? Technology system broken by pluralism? Ridiculous colonization, where powers could compete for 50 years for one state without resolution? Jumping or sometimes even overlapping spheres of influence?). But I'll wait a patch or two before they iron things out. Fortunately, unlike the economy, in diplomacy/war they can just slap solutions from their other games, so I have faith the end product will be at least decent.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So how long until mods fix this?

Took about 5 years for Stellaris but this seems like a much bigger fuckup on release?

Delterius

Arcane
What's a realistic way to get Ethiopia to be able to trade? All the statelets that can form it are isolationist, and everyone who lives there wants it to remain isolationist. I can't properly industrialize like that, its too poor. Even when I manage to unite the entire Horn while Egypt is busy conquering Constantinople or whatever, I can't do anything after that, because I am stuck with a small economy and can't trade.
I read this post and decided to try it out. My solution to the problem was to join the British Empire. The infinite raw materials from India are perfect for industrialization, and Britain itself produces a ton of coal. It was borderline required. Ethiopia has no coal, lead, or silk, as well as minimal convoy potential.

'oh sorry guys i wanted to stay isolated but uh the british forced us to become a protectorate. yeah.' - emperor tewodros probably

The good thing is that Protectorates and Subjects can still do diplo plays in this game. It's how I got Russia to let me conquer the stans as Persia.

Problem was when late game came knocking and the AI characteristically sucked at producing Electricity. Game really needs electric grids.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Could you elaborate on this, please? Because it sounds like complete nonsense.

Industries, factories have to be profitable enough to maintain some level of production and pay high enough wages to attract and retain workers in relation to other employers.

pickmeister

Learned
Industries, factories have to be profitable enough to maintain some level of production and pay high enough wages to attract and retain workers in relation to other employers.
So what he meant is that the price (not cost) of overproduced good decreases, as supply outweighs demand, making those factories unprofitable, so people don’t want to work in those factories producing that specific good (not all your factories)?
Do these people join other factories or do they become NEETs?
And why does the economy plummet? Does that happen assuming youre not producing anything else?
Is this under assumption of closed economy or open as well? I’d imagine international trade should make this effect less severe.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So what he meant is that the price (not cost) of overproduced good decreases, as supply outweighs demand, making those factories unprofitable, so people don’t want to work in those factories producing that specific good (not all your factories)?
Do these people join other factories or do they become NEETs?
And why does the economy plummet? Does that happen assuming youre not producing anything else?
Is this under assumption of closed economy or open as well? I’d imagine international trade should make this effect less severe.
I don't understand him either.
If you overproduce, say, tools, you can create businesses that consume them to create demand. Switch farms to using tools. You can export the tools. You can open up your market.
And if you are a closed system that only makes 999999 tools and nothing else, well, yes, your economy should in fact tank. This is the system working as intended.
In general, if we disregard how meat and fruit is moved across the ocean before refrigerators, or how long these can be stored, the economic simulation is very good. Its the finest thing in the game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
First patch
###################
# Game Balance
###################
# Economy
- Petit-Bourgeoisie now also care about government wages
- Slashing government wages will now reduce prestige
- Slashing military wages will now reduce training rate
- Debt slavery can now enslave pops up to wealth level 9, in reduced numbers for each point
of wealth
- Reduce the max number of pops enslaved each week by debt slavery from 5% to 0.5% of
state population
- Debt slavery will no longer enslave additional pops when slaves is 20% or more of the state
population
- Tweak subsistence production in decentralized nations so African pops don't start at
starvation levels
# Politics
- Increased the chance of progressive political movements appearing over the course of the
game
- Movements to Preserve now have a larger effect on the chance for a law to stall, making it
harder to pass laws opposed by powerful groups
- Political Movements for or against changes in Slavery and Government principles laws will
now be more radical
- Reduced base effect of Propagandists Intelligentsia trait from 50% to 25%
- Reduced effect of guaranteed liberties on loyalists and radicals growth
# Colonization
- Native Uprisings now get a significant bonus to their combat capabilities, mainly on the
defensive
- Reduced the chance of Native Uprisings occuring when provinces are colonized
###################
# AI
###################
# Diplomacy
- AI is now a bit less likely to back down in diplomatic plays
- AI is now a bit more likely to get involved in diplomatic plays
- Make the AI more keen on swaying countries to its side if outmatched in a diplomatic play
# War
- AI is now a lot more focused on taking land-adjacent states and conquering contiguous land
areas in general
- Increase AI aggression against Unrecognized countries after unlocking Civilizing Mission
# Colonization
- Increased AI tendency to get involved in Native Uprisings slightly
###################
# Interface
###################
# Tooltips
- Improve revenue predictions when constructing buildings to show more accurate and useful
data
###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Flotillas now regain Morale as intended after naval battles
- Fixed a bug where capitulating in one war could cause your generals in another war to
standby
- Added additional check to prevent monuments from being targeted in tutorial
- Added a check to the Declare Interest Tutorial that was miscounting the maximum amount of
Declared Interests possible.
- Fix issue where Investment Pool could be used for disallowed building types
- Fix issue where predicted price for goods after goods substitution would sometimes show the
wrong value
- Political movements can now start organizing a revolution at 50 radicalism rather than 100
(100 is needed for the revolution to actually begin though)
- Fixed typos in several defines
- Fix pop attraction reasons tooltip CTD in Asian languages
- Fixed a CTD caused by trying to create a shipping lane between two market areas with at
least one of them being only nominally coastal due to the entire coast being impassable
- Fixed a CTD that could be triggered when clicking on the "mobilize all" button"
- Fixed late game CTD when transferring troops
- Fix CTD when hovering sell orders after having country join your market (__chkstk
(chkstk.asm: 109))
- Fix CTD in NPdxParticle2Internal::SParticlePool::GetActive
- Fix CTD in CJominiSplineNetworkGraphics::GetStripLengthInternal

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So the game is shit as expected. Started as Finland, agrarian and poor as hell. Asked to become a protectorate of Russia. Once I got access to Russian market the game was on autopilot for the next 30 years. I made all the production to expand automatically and was ocassionally building new high tech buildings once they were discovered. I got the highest GDP per capita without much effort, 14th overall rating without any effort, but then for no reason at all Russia together with Korea and Mexico decided to attack me. Wtf? I'm also Russia's protectorate and our relationship was amicable +50. Anyway the war was piss easy. Mobilized 30 brigades and put them on defence. Is it even possible to lose while being on defence? Russian war exhaustion got too high so I won the war and got reparations, while still being their protectorate lol. After that war I decided to became a council republic with hammer and sickle while still being the protectorate of Russian Empire. Got bored and decided to declare independence. Started the war for independence while having Sweden as an ally. Sweden agreed to help me but never showed up. Instead for no reason at all France showed up with 200 brigades. So we defeated Russia, Mexico and Korea and I became independent and got some Russian territories for low infamy because it had some finnish population. And once I became independent and got my own market the economy tanked. The GDP per capita plummeted to 7th place and I'm losing money. Overall the game is a typical nu parajews consume product for memeing reddit cretins with an interface out of satans arse. I had to search for a while before I found how to look at POPs needs. The economy is a joke as you don't even produce anything, everything is abstract. There is also not a trail of capitalism as the only option you have is the command economy. You as a state build everything yourself or if you don't like it you just shut it down - zero consequences. You can't stockpile like in Vic2(like canned food and guns for the war), the warfare is a joke, the politics is a joke, where you can reform your government on the go with zero consequences. No westernization mechanic, complete borefest. And I'm not even talking about African niggers in 19th century Europe working as engineers and machinists. :M
Uusi-bittikarttakuva.jpg

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
And once I became independent and got my own market the economy tanked. The GDP per capita plummeted to 7th place and I'm losing money.

Sounds pretty realistic, like Finland outside the EU. :troll:

-50k per week, would love to see what happens to you in a year.

Mortmal

Arcane

Things like that make the game not so bad , i tested in my belgium game , no democracy full oligarchy belgium kingdom to universal suffrage and communism, the economy completely collapsed and the industrials starved.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Sounds pretty realistic, like Finland outside the EU.
lol you are confusing Finland with Poland. Finland gives to EU more than what it gets in return.

I'm sure you remember life in Finland before the mid 90s and joining the EU, it wasn't quite the stereotypical 'nordic' material paradise that people think of today. Anyway, I'm just teasing you. Access to a huge market really is easy mode in Victoria 3 ATM.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sounds pretty realistic, like Finland outside the EU.
lol you are confusing Finland with Poland. Finland gives to EU more than what it gets in return.

I'm sure you remember life in Finland before the mid 90s and joining the EU, it wasn't quite the stereotypical 'nordic' material paradise that people think of today. Anyway, I'm just teasing you. Access to a huge market really is easy mode in Victoria 3 ATM.
Haha I know man, but Finland was already a hardcore nanny state in late 80s. The welfare in the 90s was better than what it's today as they keep cutting it.
I don't think I'm gonna continue that game though. Maybe in 10 years I will play this game again haha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom