Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Delterius

Arcane
Game at the moment is: everything Left/Progressive = Good, everything Right/Traditional = Bad.
have you played vicky 2

I briefly looked at it but the combat is wack-a-mole cancer so I never really played much. I did get the impression it was slightly less extreme with the "woke propaganda" than this version but I could be wrong.
in vicky2 you push for every political reform and minority acceptance asap to get migrants as a new world country. then you get max public health, education and retirement for pop growth. and finally every other social reform as well to drive up the consumer base. as far as the tradchungus crowd is concerned it was already woke propaganda. if anythin vicky3 gives you incentives to not turn liberal capitalist (but its always best anyways). but yeah feudalism is retarded in this series because of course it fucking is.

Scarcity

Novice

Fair and balanced meta analysis of the game in my opinion, also like that he points out the fact that many of the negative reviewers complain that the game is terrible after 2 hours of playtime and then continue to play for another 200 hours, not unlike the majority of Codexers. Masochism?

Fact of the matter is, as always, as bad as this game may be, loads of people bought it. This is both positive and negative. Negative, because it validates the game and PDX business model. Positive because this will motivate PDX to improve on the game, well, improve in the PDX sense anyway.

I am buying it once it hits GOG.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Nobody who played any other Paradox games from EU4 onwards can credibly pretend that Victoria 3 is worse. It's easily better than HOI IV, Stellaris, CK 3 or even what EU IV and CK2 became later in development.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nobody who played any other Paradox games from EU4 onwards can credibly pretend that Victoria 3 is worse. It's easily better than HOI IV, Stellaris, CK 3 or even what EU IV and CK2 became later in development.
Agreed, they were all complete buggy shit at launch.

Mortmal

Arcane
Maybe it's not worse, but that's no reason to not improve. It's nice and pretty to see steam trains going from one of your fully modeled city to another , but if the cost is an unplayable end game it's not worth it. Past 1910 it's starting to get unplayable and very janky , i am not sure its only cause of multiculturalism and huge number of pops . i'd prefer something less good looking but playable from begining to the end .

Fair and balanced meta analysis of the game in my opinion, also like that he points out the fact that many of the negative reviewers complain that the game is terrible after 2 hours of playtime and then continue to play for another 200 hours, not unlike the majority of Codexers. Masochism?
I reviewed it as bad after a few hours, gave it another twenty to see if I just needed to get more accustomed to it, then stopped a week ago and have had zero inclination to open it again.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Again, the technologies in game do not cover "invention", but "adaptation". Hey, Ottoman Turkey/Russia/China didn't make any breakthrough inventions in early XXth century, by that logic they should be banned from researching technologies in the game too, right? Right?

Besides, the fun of the game is to create ahistorical scenarios, including one where the African nation actually successfully industrializes. To have it hardblocked because 'niggers can't invent stuff, hyhy' would be detrimental to a gameplay and game's systems.
They couldn't even keep and maintain what euros build them after they became independent and you want them to reverse engineer a steam engine in 19th centuary lmao
It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.png
It had much to do with it, including underlying philosophy (basically, 'progress' as a key value). It just had to tackle different issues.
Classical liberalism - free market, laissez-faire, limited government intervention, freedom of speech.
Modern liberalism/leftism - fuckload of regulations, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, government intervention everywhere, and no freedom of speech because it's offensive.
And importing savages to settle in your country was not even an issue in 19th century, because back then people were still sane and noone would even think that it might be a great idea. :M

I reviewed it as bad after a few hours,
:nocountryforshitposters:
Steam's refund cutoff time (in play time) is two hours. If that's long enough to decide whether you want to refund the game or keep it then it's long enough to review it.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I reviewed it as bad after a few hours,
:nocountryforshitposters:
Steam's refund cutoff time (in play time) is two hours. If that's long enough to decide whether you want to refund the game or keep it then it's long enough to review it.
If I really cared, I'd buy, play 5 minutes and leave a negative review. But I still believe, well, hope, that this game will be playable in 5-10 years with tons of mods to fix the bullshit.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Again, the technologies in game do not cover "invention", but "adaptation". Hey, Ottoman Turkey/Russia/China didn't make any breakthrough inventions in early XXth century, by that logic they should be banned from researching technologies in the game too, right? Right?

Besides, the fun of the game is to create ahistorical scenarios, including one where the African nation actually successfully industrializes. To have it hardblocked because 'niggers can't invent stuff, hyhy' would be detrimental to a gameplay and game's systems.
They couldn't even keep and maintain what euros build them after they became independent and you want them to reverse engineer a steam engine in 19th centuary lmao
It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.png
It had much to do with it, including underlying philosophy (basically, 'progress' as a key value). It just had to tackle different issues.
Classical liberalism - free market, laissez-faire, limited government intervention, freedom of speech.
Modern liberalism/leftism - fuckload of regulations, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, taxes, government intervention everywhere, and no freedom of speech because it's offensive.
And importing savages to settle in your country was not even an issue in 19th century, because back then people were still sane and noone would even think that it might be a great idea. :M
Reina ignores the big difference between niggers and the Japanese: niggers are stupid.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
This says "Early Access alpha released, here is our roadmap for the actual game development". "Don't expect the game to be playable until the first tree major patches, i.e. one year" The audacity.
No this is pretty much on par for PDX releases.

Considering how they treated CK3, don't expect anything to change with Vicky 3 any time soon. It'll always remain a simplistic numbers go up simulator.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just looking at how loosely defined those tasks are, it's a total joke with whoever paid money expecting a finished product on the other side.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just looking at how loosely defined those tasks are, it's a total joke with whoever paid money expecting a finished product on the other side.
It's really quite something.
That whole "plan" gives off the impression of "we don't really know what we're doing, please stand by while we're trying to figure it out".

Vatnik Wumao
That whole "plan" gives off the impression of "we don't really know what we're doing, please stand by while we're trying to figure it out".
iu

Such is the way of Paradox releases.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I get it that the Q is ending and everyone needs their bonuses, but this is too much even for Paradox.

Reina

Arcane

If Paradox took such approach in their game philosophy, only 10-15 countries would've been playable. You want heavy railroading, go to Victoria 1. Vic3 is built with diferent philosophy - implementation is not perfect (again, I agree that consequence-free multiculturalism-fueled immigration bonanza is stupid ATM) - but I find it hard to criticize them for shifting more to systems-based gameplay.

Besides, in my 4 games so far I never had African state industrialize and/or resist European great power, so this discussion is basically meaningless. And if you rally want to restrict player from making Sokoto a great power, making such mod is very, very easy. I like the fact that game offers me different challenges than "Unite Germany and rotflstomp the world for 20th time"

(BTW I played Sokoto as well, and making it recognized power is haaard... the technological advantage of Europeans will never go away unless you sacrifice everything to get on par with them before game ends)

You're looking at the leaves, instead of the trunk of the issue. Political ideologies are not defined by the policies (means), but by their goals.

Political stances change and evolve; just as liberalism isn't what it was in XIXth century, so isn't conservativism. Hell, even in XIXth century we had so many 'conservativisms' to choose from: who was 'true' conservative, de Maistre (royalism! ultramontianism!)? de Maeztu (kings are weak, [military] dictatorship is better!)? Bismarck (Nation above policies!)? Leo XIII (Working man's rights are conservativism too!)? Luddites/Agrarians?

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
If Paradox took such approach in their game philosophy, only 10-15 countries would've been playable. You want heavy railroading, go to Victoria 1. Vic3 is built with diferent philosophy - implementation is not perfect (again, I agree that consequence-free multiculturalism-fueled immigration bonanza is stupid ATM) - but I find it hard to criticize them for shifting more to systems-based gameplay.

I'm surprised they took this route after the complaints EU3 engendered. They spent the the next few years trying to railroad it more into historical sense for each expansion pack they brought out afterwards.

Anyway, it's a Paradox game, so this is just the beta version release. 500 more addons to come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom