Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The chances of that happening is on par with you reforming yourself and start making better post : null.
The chance of me being immortal emperor of the universe is also low, but I do dream about it. At least in my dreams I am great. Why are you lame and defeated even in your dreams? Why don't you dream of good video games, but instead dream of developers dying? Spiteful, bitter, defeated.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Vic3 was just the latest example that Paradox can no longer make good, or even mediocre games.
The market for grand strategy games isn't that big to support many different game companies. So things can only get better if Paradox goes away to make room for somebody else.

But that will take some time. Short term I would be happy if just the people responsible for Vic3 got fired and never be able to work on games again.

Sarathiour

Cipher
The chances of that happening is on par with you reforming yourself and start making better post : null.
The chance of me being immortal emperor of the universe is also low, but I do dream about it. At least in my dreams I am great. Why are you lame and defeated even in your dreams? Why don't you dream of good video games, but instead dream of developers dying? Spiteful, bitter, defeated.
I don't need to make delusions about paradox crashing and burning, because it's happening in the real life, not in dreamlands.
And they deserved it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't need to make delusions about paradox crashing and burning, because it's happening in the real life, not in dreamlands.
And they deserved it.
Hecking cool and valid, my dude, but why celebrate it? People here celebrating decline. Hoping for decline, so they can celebrate it. Hoping for bad video games, and celebrating bad video games. That's dumb.

Mortmal

Arcane
And they deserved it.
Hecking cool and valid, my dude, but why celebrate it? People here celebrating decline. Hoping for decline, so they can celebrate it. Hoping for bad video games, and celebrating bad video games. That's dumb.
I think its more like people knew there was not much to expect from paradox anymore, i tried CK3 on gamepass, not getting it nor any dlc , stellaris i would get their dlc only heavily discounted , victoria 3 , not even bothering anymore either and i dont even have money trouble. In overall the gaming industry is already not catering to grognards like us , but now you can see its not even pleasing anyone at all. Mostly negative reviews so its crashing and burning, thats what people celebrate , a company not catering to us anymore but failing to mainstream too, not celebrating the production of bad games. Sort of a pleasurable " i told you so".
People wishing for a 80's style video game market crash.

Anyone who is sensible in his mind, has dropped the hopium back when the leaks happened. Those who haven't, have instead conveniently scurried back into their rat holes and even they are ashamed of shilling the game at this point. The game's been a burning disaster since its conception, most likely. It's about seeing how reality is and appreciating the absurd and humorous side of it (like the fact they hired a literal schizo discord troon to work on the game). Copiums and hopiums are for the dumb and the weak but most of all - deluded.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I mean CK3 j
And they deserved it.
what a novel concept which requires the non existence of crusader kings 3, hearts of iron 4, stellaris, and europa universalis anything
I mean just recovered from a big slump and EU4 is going strong but CK3 is a shit game.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Hecking cool and valid, my dude
Reddit-Logo.png

None

Scholar
Why? Wouldn't you rather they reform, and start producing better games?
I've been waiting for at least half a decade for this to happen. It hasn't and I don't expect it to at the rate things have been going. The next best outcome is that their failure creates room for others.

Sarathiour

Cipher
And they deserved it.
what a novel concept which requires the non existence of crusader kings 3, hearts of iron 4, stellaris, and europa universalis anything
You forgot to add bloodlines 2 to this prestigious list. Following the bulgar example, the one I imagine in my dream is also a map painting simulator, except it's with vampire instead.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I don't even care if someone picks up the slack - the people who are most likely to do so are literal tranny modders after all - I just wanna see the fags at PDX punished for their incompetence.

NandoGando

Literate
Are there any other economic grand strategy games for Victoria 3 to really take inspiration from? Seems like this is pretty small niche populated almost solely by the Victoria series, every other grand strategy game focuses more on combat. How are they suppose to consistently improve on the genre when they're the only ones breaking new ground?

NandoGando

Literate
Are there any other economic grand strategy games for Victoria 3 to really take inspiration from?
Victoria II

V2, despite all the years and work, still does not have a working economy system its kept afloat by cheating. Also bugged to hell. Wouldn't call it a good inspiration.
Exactly this, this reddit thread really elaborates on why Victoria 2's technical problems are greater than just a lack of liquidity https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria2/comments/w00wdy/the_main_issue_plaguing_victoria_2s_economy_isnt/

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Are there any other economic grand strategy games for Victoria 3 to really take inspiration from? Seems like this is pretty small niche populated almost solely by the Victoria series, every other grand strategy game focuses more on combat. How are they suppose to consistently improve on the genre when they're the only ones breaking new ground?
Well Grey Eminence just got paused. Gilded Destiny is still going I guess? Neither is released but no reason Paradox couldn't copy stuff from dev logs.

As far as V2 I'll say the same thing I said on the steam forums for V3. V2 had a couple mechanics I prefer over V3, not counting military stuff, but it doesn't have anything game changing that would be worth copying. And core systems have major issues. If they did copy anything they'd have to fix all the problems, which isn't the same as ripping off a functioning mechanic or system that is really good from another game.

Are there any other economic grand strategy games for Victoria 3 to really take inspiration from?
Victoria II

V2, despite all the years and work, still does not have a working economy system its kept afloat by cheating. Also bugged to hell. Wouldn't call it a good inspiration.
V2 was made in about a year, and the expansions didn't change anything fundamental about the economy. What modders can do is limited. So I wouldn't say that makes it a bad inspiration, it's a lot of good ideas and a decent prototype and something that should have been built on.
Of course, modders haven't been able to fix it, they don't have access to the source code. So saying, well, this mod couldn't fix it or that mod couldn't fix it is utterly meaningless.

Bad implementation != bad idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom