Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty sure they already wrote the whole thing off as an unsalvageable loss.
How miserable. Oh well, thanks for saving me a lot of miserable reading.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I mean people were quite vocal about no changes to the starcraft remaster, too. So it's not unfathomable, that some vocal moo-heads wanted the Reforged game to be like the original with no changes.

I still hate the fact, that we are stuck with the old control schemes of SC1 and BW, when it's clearly a better experience in SC2, for all intends and purposes.

They did it so please the PRO scene, I know, but still.

WC3 controls are basically fine though. The game is about controlling smaller total numbers of units, so the 12 unit cap isn't a big deal. 2 groups is generally the most you need to group all of your army with 3 being essentially the absolute max, and you're better off grouping in 2 or 3 groups than just lumping literally everything together like in SC2 because the concept of individual micro and the different unit pathing means you want to control units differently from SC2. The whole sub groups system works perfectly to issue individual orders to specific types of units. You have multi-building select, which was the main feature of SC1 that could be considered literally a worthless APM sink. You can set workers to auto-mine gold or lumber as soon as they are produced. I guess infinite unit select could be useful specifically for custom maps with hundreds of units but what exactly else?

WC3 controls are basically fine though. The game is about controlling smaller total numbers of units, so the 12 unit cap isn't a big deal. 2 groups is generally the most you need to group all of your army
I can imagine needing more control groups in pvp, in campaign I get by with just one group, and if I have any units that don't fit in there I just right click with them on my hero and it works out fine. Plus you have toggle for spell/repair autocast which is also nice. WC3 controls I can certainly work with.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I mean people were quite vocal about no changes to the starcraft remaster, too. So it's not unfathomable, that some vocal moo-heads wanted the Reforged game to be like the original with no changes.

I still hate the fact, that we are stuck with the old control schemes of SC1 and BW, when it's clearly a better experience in SC2, for all intends and purposes.

It's an e-sport game, you can't change that shit dude.

passerby

Arcane
They could easily keep selection limit as an option for autistic pros, while providing normal control scheme option for everyone else, especially for singleplayer.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Probably wrong place to ask, but anyone can suggest good mods for warcraft 3 frozen throne? I have in possession original version (not Warcraft 3: refunded, I don't want even play this garbage). I remember playing some custom maps long ago, but now I also interested in more global mods (but good map packs welcome too).

catfood

AGAIN
Probably wrong place to ask, but anyone can suggest good mods for warcraft 3 frozen throne? I have in possession original version (not Warcraft 3: refunded, I don't want even play this garbage). I remember playing some custom maps long ago, but now I also interested in more global mods (but good map packs welcome too).
Rise of the Blood Elves and Curse of the Forsaken are top custom campaigns. Current Blizztard could never release such quality content.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

It's an e-sport game, you can't change that shit dude.

Which is why I said, I know they stay vanilla for the pro scene. But they could have made options for casuals to implement a different control scheme, would literally have hurt nobody. And they could have kept the control sceheme for online play only or tournaments or some shit.

Dakka

Savant
Here's a decent rule of thumb for you guys. It goes for any AAA studio, or any company big enough to have shareholders really. If an idea makes too much sense, they're not gonna do it even if it's staring them in the face. If a decision ever boils down to making a better product or making a short term profit, they will pick the quick buck every time. That's just what happens when corporate suits get involved. That's also why indie games kick so much ass nowadays. Smaller studios run by people who actually care about games are free to make common sense decisions like that, whereas devs in the big players are handicapped by having to answer to the whims of investors.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure Blizz are just going to sweep it under the rug and stop working on this. Good thing I still have my original client without the Reforged rot.

Vatnik Wumao
Good thing I still have my original client without the Reforged rot.
Haven't played in a very long time, but I do remember fondly LAN sessions with friends, playing custom maps.

Tower defense ones were quite popular back in the day, but do any of you remember Angel Arena? :M Loved that one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure LAN parties are now quite a lot more difficult due to needing to have the same version of the game to play together. It's dead, Jim.

Arbiter

Scholar
I'm pretty sure Blizz are just going to sweep it under the rug and stop working on this. Good thing I still have my original client without the Reforged rot.

I need to visit BNet forums to see how Blizzdrones are taking it.

Olinser

Savant

I need to visit BNet forums to see how Blizzdrones are taking it.

They were in full 'OMG TRUST BLIZZARD' mode until this latest patch.

I'm not even kidding. Literally the first line in the patch notes, "Naga units now have footprints in Reforged mode".

THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE SPENDING TIME ON.

At this point even the shills aren't shilling anymore.

Literally months after release, and the only thing about the features people actually want - namely ranked ladder, custom campaigns, and profiles, and the only line in the patch notes is, '
the team is prioritizing delivering features like Ranked Ladders, Profiles, Clans, and Custom Campaigns.'

They literally don't even have a projected release on features that were PRESENT IN THE ORIGINAL GAME that they removed.

But hey guys. At least they made a female Death Knight and Demon Hunter, without that they would REALLY be screwed right now, amirite?

Olinser

Savant
Do you remember the good times when Blizzard supported spawn copies of their games?
Yep. Incidentally, Westwood did that too, with NoX at least.

Haha, NoX was a great idea for a game that sadly suffered from very obvious time cut during development (Conjurer campaign obviously had significantly less work put in it than the Warrior or Wizard, and the last few levels they basically abandoned story all together), and total abandonment by the studio even before they sold out.

It's still possible to get the game, but only from places like GOG, which is vulnerable to EA realizing that they actually own the license and suddenly yanking it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom