Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
t's just that gaymers who refuse to git gud complain about muh bloat and muh overtuning.

This isn't truth.

Even I who loved NwN2: MotB and NwN1:HotU found WoTR too bloated and epic. In warhammer, many people prefer 30k over 40k and pre age of Sigmar in fantasy due the bloat. I used to prefer high and epic level adventures, but after playing Strategic Simulation games and Dreamforge Interteinement games, I started to enjoy much more mid level. You know, a mindflayer colony is a terrifying enemy in Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager. A mindflayer colony is a cakewalk in NwN1:HotU. In high/epic level, or you have epic super duper masterform destruction babaus in every street or you have a cakewalk.

And is not as if Kingmaker was not an high level adventure. You can kill Godlike beings there. Most AD&D vydia adaptations don't go past lv 15. Wake of the ravager lv cap = 15. Ravenloft Strahd possession + Stone prophet and Menzoberranzan lv cap = 13 (* not hard lv cap, but doing everything in the game gives enough xp to lv 13). Spelljammer : Pirates of the realmspace lv cap = 11. Meanwhile in WoTR, you can reach lv 40 or 20/10 mythic...

Mortmal

Arcane
Underrail that still one character only small indie, one of the greatest one man effort for sure that hardly anyone play , even here with less than 30% codexers. A full professional team could do lot better if there's a will, and apply its formula to a full team of characters however. Now that could turn out into one of the greatest rpg ever.
I like that they plan to add more enemies instead of HP bloat them so they are on the right track at least on paper, if there's use of terrain and many abilities.
Calling Underrail a "one-man effort" seems rather disrespectful to its various contributors.
No sacred cows for me, its still a very low budget thing, cant say we were spoiled with the rpg hobby. Nothing AAA except larian ,barely, and they are coming from far starting with diablo clones rpg light games.A miracle in itself for larian.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For two games now Owlcat has affirmed that they believe in quantity>quality. They're not going to design those hundreds of encounters multiple times.
No, they'll modify their encounter script to pull enemies from a specific pool depending on the difficulty. It isn't rocket science.
Though they've included roguelike modes as DLC in the Pathfinders, this is not a roguelike, they're not just throwing around randomized enemy spawn points on the maps and calling it a day in the base campaign.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes it is, now stop arguing.

> Post baseless argument
> Someone proves you wrong
> insist in the same baseless argument

I like games like UnderRail, even at "epic" levels, a pirate outpost with some turrets can melt you down quickly. Things never become trivial or too bloated. This is one aspect which I like in AD&D. even at relative high levels(12~15), my chars can die quickly. The same doesn't happen in 3/3.5/pf1e and even less in 5E.

I hate casters and worship the strongest alpha plus psyker who used biomancy to have superhuman body.
really strange guy that reinhardt...

Agreed.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's 40k, there aren't a lot of routes for even the super wealthy to get "epic" tier in personal combat.

Buying a suit of power armor is about as good as it gets, and even then as a baseline human, you're still less effective than the average astartes.

Personally, I hope there are a lot of ways to resolve things outside of combat. Rogue Traders really shouldn't be fighting on the frontlines all that much.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's 40k, there aren't a lot of routes for even the super wealthy to get "epic" tier in personal combat.

Buying a suit of power armor is about as good as it gets, and even then as a baseline human, you're still less effective than the average astartes.

Personally, I hope there are a lot of ways to resolve things outside of combat. Rogue Traders really shouldn't be fighting on the frontlines all that much.

I know that this would be considered heresy an extremely unlikely, but lets suppose that in a planet separated from the Imperium by a warp storm, a psyker with amazing power and control over his power is born(extremely rare, I know), from a well connected noble family. That psyker found somehow how the astartes where made and is amazing at biomancy. Assuming that the Dark Heresy default powers allow him to regrow lost limbs, manipulate his body at cellular level to become immune to poison, could he also make "mutations" into his own body to become stronger, tougher, taller, growing Astartes organs and so on?

I know that such example is extremely unlikely, but I'm just thinking in how powerful an non primarch/non astarte could become in the best case scenario possible. I know that this guy would probably become a daemon spawn or a daemon gate to allow chaos to invade his planet in 99,99% of cases. I'm just wondering the human limits in wh40k.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

I know that this would be considered heresy an extremely unlikely, but lets suppose that in a planet separated from the Imperium by a warp storm, a psyker with amazing power and control over his power is born(extremely rare, I know), from a well connected noble family. That psyker found somehow how the astartes where made and is amazing at biomancy. Assuming that the Dark Heresy default powers allow him to regrow lost limbs, manipulate his body at cellular level to become immune to poison, could he also make "mutations" into his own body to become stronger, tougher, taller, growing Astartes organs and so on?

I know that such example is extremely unlikely, but I'm just thinking in how powerful an non primarch/non astarte could become in the best case scenario possible. I know that this guy would probably become a daemon spawn or a daemon gate to allow chaos to invade his planet in 99,99% of cases. I'm just wondering the human limits in wh40k.
Stay right where you are, citizen. The Inquisition agents are on their way to you. Don't resist. -=][=-

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

The human limits are whatever the writer of that particular story wants them to be. 40K is not known for it's consistency.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Inquisition agents

[rp]They are agents of a stagnant decaying empire. They lost Magnus the Red and the Emperor due their stubbornness and abandoned my world when my world needed them most. Thanks to my experiments, now every single soldier in my planet is deadlier than a battalion, thanks to mutations applied into my planet lifestock, no one is starving and criminals become the perfect slave for heavy slave labor. They can come, they will eat my bioweapons/virus specialized in infecting and destroying sisters of silence and my chimeras. I also found a corpse of a Lord of Change, I'm sure that nothing bad will gonna happen if I study it and try to replicate some of its proprieties to strengthen humans [/rp]

Leaving the RP of a psyker who is close to repeat Magnus the Red mistakes aside(if not has his planet suffer an exterminatus), I wonder. How the Imperium threats bioweapons? I know that AI for them is heresy. IMO to fight Tyranids and Orcs, viruses seems the best weapon as throwing meat can only make them stronger.

I tried to find it but only found information about chaos and Tyranids using bioweapons.

40K is not known for it's consistency.

Yep. I've heard that Avatar of Khaine in some situations can easily toy with even the strongest daemon princes and greater daemons, in others, loses to space marines. IDK if this is truth or not.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Leaving the RP of a psyker who is close to repeat Magnus the Red mistakes aside, I wonder. How the Imperium threats bioweapons? I know that AI for them is heresy. IMO to fight Tyranids and Orcs, viruses seems the best weapon as throwing meat can only make them stronger.

I tried to find it but only found information about chaos and Tyranids using bioweapons.
"Bioweapon" in 40K usually refers to the biological guns the Tyranids use. The Imperium does use some biological weapons most notably the Virus Bombs used for Exterminatus. Apart from that there are bio-ammo that infects or poisons a single target when you shoot it. There's not really any weapons that you spray around and it kills your enemies like WWI chemical weapons. 40K is primarily a tabletop wargame where armies fight person to "person". So weapons that would eliminate the need for battle have no place in the setting.

lightbane

Arcane
Has it been said if vehicles will be ingame? As a RT, you can totally buy a tank or two at some point, and bringing these to a fight is overkill as you may expect... But that's the fun of it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Has it been said if vehicles will be ingame? As a RT, you can totally buy a tank or two at some point, and bringing these to a fight is overkill as you may expect... But that's the fun of it.

There might be setpieces, but the battle maps are probably going to be too cramped and small for any kind of vehicle. Also, the inevitable balance issues.

But yeah, tanks are relatively cheap in the setting.

jungl

Augur
Warhammer lore is dumb why would you want to be taller and stronger if you want to be a better at combat. I rather use tech to make myself double speed, reflexes, bionic mind process stuff faster. Floyd mayweather moving double speed would beat up a super brian shaw.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About what I talked about bioweapons, I said it cuz they have a daemon god focused on plagues and diseases.

But for destructive cover, will psykers be able to CREATE force fields and other forms of cover? And can some special weapon with special ammo pierce the cover and attack the enemy behind cover? That would be rad.

Skorpion

Educated
About what I talked about bioweapons, I said it cuz they have a daemon god focused on plagues and diseases.

But for destructive cover, will psykers be able to CREATE force fields and other forms of cover? And can some special weapon with special ammo pierce the cover and attack the enemy behind cover? That would be rad.
Yes there is antipsyker rounds, mainly used by the Grey Knights
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter_Ammunition#Psybolts

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Stop talking about magic

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
As already discussed, 40k space magic, especially from 'umies, is really useless for combat. As in roll a D6 to see which of your body parts get sucked into the warp useless. The exceptions to this are not going to be playable characters in this game.

Magic is really more for mundane but critically important use like Astropaths and the like.

For everything else, there's a boltgun.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Stop talking about magic
Stop being negative about everything.

See? It's not so easy to deny one's fundamental nature. Even if it's a quick ticket to the Emperor's Mercy in Cryomancer's case.

Reinhardt

Arcane

victor, psykers ARE NOT DND CASTERS!

Reinhardt

Arcane

how the fuck he found about orkz AND tyranids AND how astartes wuz made on planet separated from imperium?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom