Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Joyvankek

Learned
Reminder that Dark Eldar in comparison to Eldar are better in the sense that they won't hide their intentions at any point. If you fall for their tricks, it's on you.

Although, if you work with Dark Eldar for any reason whatsoever, you should probably be ostracized for stupidity.

If there is a list for creatures more trustworthy than emo space elves, it'd probably be a short one because it would just be one line: everyone else.

Even Tzeentchian cultists are probably less likely to backstab you and torture you because they're more lol random/just as planned.
I do wonder though, is it worth dealing with xeno who will inevitably betray you for (their) greater good (Eldar), or by xeno who will inevitably betray you because they get off on it (Dark Eldar)?

The latter at least feels more honest (ironically) and less sanctimonious.

Regardless, the takeaway here is that Eldar of all kind are filthy xenos that will betray you and deserve to be purged.
If you had to choose between Eldar and Dark Eldar, who would you choose?
Bolter to purge both of these filthy xenos.
Or a virus bomb/cyclonic torpedo to drop on a planet where both of those wait for me to make a choice.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd lean towards Dark Eldar purely because I think they'd be easier to pull off. Writing races such as Eldar or Tolkiens Elves are actually quite difficult as can be seen in the Warhammer universe. Most of the time they end up looking completely retarded. Also, I'm pretty sure it would be easier to write in interacting with a side group of Dark Eldar versus regular Eldar who usually don't stray too far from craftworld/homeworld/other Eldar as far as I know.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminder that Dark Eldar in comparison to Eldar are better in the sense that they won't hide their intentions at any point. If you fall for their tricks, it's on you.

Although, if you work with Dark Eldar for any reason whatsoever, you should probably be ostracized for stupidity.

If there is a list for creatures more trustworthy than emo space elves, it'd probably be a short one because it would just be one line: everyone else.

Even Tzeentchian cultists are probably less likely to backstab you and torture you because they're more lol random/just as planned.
I do wonder though, is it worth dealing with xeno who will inevitably betray you for (their) greater good (Eldar), or by xeno who will inevitably betray you because they get off on it (Dark Eldar)?

Regardless, the takeaway here is that Eldar of all kind are filthy xenos that will betray you and deserve to be purged.
Dark Eldar would be interesting due to the sheer oddity of a Dark Eldar teaming up with a human (more so than regular Eldar). That would be a story-hook unto itself. Plus, they would bring some neat gear.

As far as Eldar, I guess it would depend on what caste. A Banshee or Striking Scorpion would mean something serious is going down in the background.

Joyvankek

Learned
The issue is that we would need an very good reason to team up with any of them. RT do have access to knowledge of what Eldars are capable of when it comes to betrayal. And since our PC's dynasty is quite old, they probably experienced that during their possible interactions with Eldars in the past.
On top of that PC is working/can work with Inquisition from Ordo Xenos(If the interaction is done rightly, Owlcat need to remember that RT is not your common pleb, and Inquisitor should behave more diplomatically when dealing with them) that can just bring case after case of betrayal be it Eldar or Dark Eldar, to make their point as to why any kind of alliance between RT/IoM and Eldar/DEldar would be a very bad idea, and should be done only in the most dire of situations.
Where the alternative would cost IoM much more than eventual betrayal of their temporary "allies".

On top of that Owlcat really need to rework interaction between RT and Word Bearer leader. He act more like you standard Chaos SM warband than WB who would focus more on corrupting our PC, and tempt them instead of just throwing insults and threats like some standard Chaos Undivided would.
Look at how Sindri Myr from first Dawn of War was made.
You guys should go for something like this, especially if we will have some Tzeentch faction in there.

Mauman

Scholar

Uh.....I don't suppose Bolter/chainsword to the face for both is an option? Then virusbomb the vicinity just to be sure?

And if not, then bolter/chainsword to MY face, as dealing with either group would likely lead me to a fate worse than death anyways.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just monke being monke.

Gw kinda made it so that most boring thing about their setting (superheroes) are best known so for most 40k is yea kill xenos emprh lol.

In reality even only worthy books about 40k is about some bad batch imperial guard, best lore in secondary games, real stylish factions stuff like GSC, most fun to play against are always ork players n so on.
One of original designers said putting Heresy at center of everything wasnt planned, should have been forgotten myth. That way setting becomes too empirecentric. Should have been more dune.
Marines should have been elite limited unit you can get in imperial guard army for some requisition points like imperial agents imo.
I liked like 4th or so witch hunters, i would make codex sob+gk+agents lead by karamazov on walking chair

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Right, space elfes have some of most laconic and beautiful designs in 40k gw cant update because perfection (falcon tank, vyper jetbike, etc) and dorkelfe coolest lore, tits ass, and 5th de codex was some of the coolest ever made (phill kelly stuff, duke sliscus, ladybitch, drugs more drugs and more).
And then there are harlequins.
Not that i approve darkeldar or anything...
...but void raven and kabs in raiders look nice.

Reinhardt

Arcane
эльфы на лапках разносят заразу.
увидел эльфа - убей его сразу!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh yea unloyal mahrines are also at least bit more interesting, like thousand sons are like armyof Vikt0rs. Noisemarines also funny. Nurglins are funny too, even khorne in rhinos with now gone defilers was alright. Defiers were cool
Makes me wonder how 40k would look if all mahrines fell. Simple ig boys vs armies of evil supermen. Intrstn

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Makes me wonder how 40k would look if all mahrines fell. Simple ig boys vs armies of evil supermen. Intrstn

I think it's generally assumed that if all the legions went to chaos that the Imperium would've fallen and humans might possibly even be extinct. I think the latter part is actually part of "le ancient conspiracy."

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now I know what you're thinking: "why did is he pasting this from Twitter, instead of the usual large and cool images they have on YT?"

Well it's because Owlcat, in all their mighty "wisdom", decided to make this picture really, really tiny. Which is uncool, but also perfectly fit for Twitter. I hope this is NOT the new norm.

In any case, here it is:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just right click on the pic.
FxdwnGiWIAUFfIm

lightbane

Arcane

Dark Eldar. They have no redeeming values and they'll betray you sooner than later, so it's a matter of time to time it so you're not surprised. Their tech is better and cooler than regular eldar, so I would vote for having DE as "friends" so that once they try to backstab me, I can repurpose their cool weapons.

Skorpion

Educated
412851-Eldar%2C%20Exarch%2C%20Striking%20Scorpions%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

Im all about the Orks but if I had to choose between eldar and dark eldar then the ones with the striking scorpions wins I suppose.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Love all the idle NPCs. Super underrated aspect of making a world feel immersive and alive. I just hope their idle animations are done well so they look like actual characters in the game versus parts of the background.

Mauman

Scholar
I can see a lot of Imperium loyalists here, huh?
Maybe.

Alternatively, Eldar of all kinds have proven themselves throughout the history of 40k to be either assholes, backstabbers, self-righteous pricks, assholes, hedonists of the worst kinds, willing to let BILLIONS of humans die to save just one of theirs, assholes, deliberately withhold information and be absolutely insufferable about it, all or some combination of the above, and assholes. And that's really just talking about the normal Eldar (well, minus the hedonists part, but they were at one point).

Gives me plenty of reasons to not like and especially not trust the space elves no matter what branch of their rotten, worm-infested family tree they come from.

You're not fighting the will of the emperor here, you're literally fighting the in-universe nature and history of these assholes.

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned
We are talking the level of asshole and a backstabber, where a cultists and servants of Tzeentch are more trustworthy than them. We talking about servants of literal god of betrayal here...
They're so treacherous, arrogant, full of themselves and generally insufferable, especially when they want to act mystical and shit, that you don't need to be some fanatically loyal subject of the Emperor for wanting to let guns do the talking. When interacting with a species like that.
Then we have what Mauman have said:
Maybe.

Alternatively, Eldar of all kinds have proven themselves throughout the history of 40k to be either assholes, backstabbers, self-righteous pricks, assholes, hedonists of the worst kinds, willing to let BILLIONS of humans die to save just one of theirs, assholes, deliberately withhold information and be absolutely insufferable about it, all or some combination of the above, and assholes. And that's really just talking about the normal Eldar (well, minus the hedonists part, but they were at one point).

Gives me plenty of reasons to not like and especially not trust the space elves no matter what branch of their rotten, worm-infested family tree they come from.

You're not fighting the will of the emperor here, you're literally fighting the in-universe nature and history of these assholes.
How can you work with someone, that put so little value in your whole species, that they're willing to trade whole planet's population to save just one of then.
It's just common sense and pure self preservation.
And we talking about Craftworld Eldars right now.
Dark Eldars, while being more honest wit themselves and their motives, do put more value in human's life. They see humans as resource to be tortured for their hedonistic pleasure, and to ward off Slaanesh just a little bit longer by their depravity.
Sure their tech is valuable but as a counterweight we have their inevitable betrayal. Which can lead to a trip into their spiky city, a trip you really don't want to make.

The question is. What is worth this kind of risk, to work with these xenos? That most certainly don't have any motive to benefit anyone but themselves with whatever deals they may offer.
Fucking chaos is more honest and have more reasons(You can't really tempt someone, or convince them to worship you, if you have nothing to offer) to give you some benefits than the Eldars, which speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
Maybe.

It's funny that of all the settings out there, 40k does Elves best. 40k didn't even need the Dark Eldar, they just wanted a new army to sell.

Through 2e the depictions of the Craftworld Eldar was some of the best "Elves are wily and capricious creatures, given to flights of fancy as much as deep machinations, and impossible for the minds of non-Elves to understand" out there.

While every other franchise turned their elves into "frail and beautiful and masters of whatever they seek to craft", 40k remembered "and utter, utter arseholes"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom