Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Sudden spike in crashes on Kiava Gamma is brutal. I can't finish one fight, game crashes non-stop. I didn't have any performance issues while in alpha, nor in beta (aside from frame drops here and there), but now i hit the wall. I know that I'm not the only one, many people are reporting this issue on discord or reddit.

Owlcat_Eyler
I passed it on to our devs, thank you for noticing!
Can you assist us and send files from the folder C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\CrashDumps
It would be very helpful in solving the problem.
You should tell them to fix Cassia's Spot of Apathy.
If you cast it and send someone on it aoe, that character will be stuck in endless running loop and you will be stuck on his turn.
Did you report it?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is there any viable way to counter the dodge stat, other than aoe attacks and psyker powers?
I know some weapons do reduce it, but it seems to do shit when fighting eldars.
At least in melee your agility reduces dodge chance of your targets. I'm not sure how ranged works

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
seems like you can spam dialogue choice in prologue with the lore check until u succeed not sure if this is intended / works for other dialogues too

burst fire feels like it hits way too often even when hit chance is around 1-3% unless Im missing something need to test this more

Joyvankek

Learned
So chaos path is basically bugged.
For example after you done your quest on Janus, you have option to send corrupted supply, but it appears that the option don't work, and you will later have to chose to leave Footfall to starve anyway, on top of that. Why is leaving them to starve an Imperis choice? Extending you sphere of influence by grabbing the larges trading hub's leader by the balls is not exactly what I would call "benevolent".
Though I give you additional points for the ability to execute eldar companion directly after she helped you kill her own... erm... people, after you manipulated her into believing that's her leader that's corrupted by chaos?
I'm tempted to restart my playthru and just go full Imperis path. It mostly have the best choices.

Also it appears that there is more choices for Imperis one, and you can generally level it up quicker.

Lamiosa

Educated
Herectic path is weird, I think most people would like a path that corrupts you slowly and, at least initially, without you noticing. But from what I played until now, the herectic choices fit more a character that was herectic from the start, like a cultist or something.

Although there is a problem with that, because many people that play CRPGs don't like unpredictable consequences (for example Kingmaker chapter 4 backlash) and prefer a perfect little online world where everyone loves them and everything works out, so all the herectic options should have a really explicit indication by default with the option to hide it in the game settings (I think that's already the case, not sure though)

ArchAngel

Arcane
For example after you done your quest on Janus, you have option to send corrupted supply, but it appears that the option don't work, and you will later have to chose to leave Footfall to starve anyway, on top of that. Why is leaving them to starve an Imperis choice? Extending you sphere of influence by grabbing the larges trading hub's leader by the balls is not exactly what I would call "benevolent".
Though I give you additional points for the ability to execute eldar companion directly after she helped you kill her own... erm... people, after you manipulated her into believing that's her leader that's corrupted by chaos?
I'm tempted to restart my playthru and just go full Imperis path. It mostly have the best choices.

Also it appears that there is more choices for Imperis one, and you can generally level it up quicker.
Play buggy games, win buggy prizes.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
think most people would like a path that corrupts you slowly and, at least initially, without you noticing.
I would not assume you're safe as long as you don't pick the heretic options, most benevolent options have too much foreshadowing for there being problems down the line.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

The Convictions system is still under development. The beta has a prototype just to taste it

Reinhardt

Arcane
ok, first ghey kaos codexers found. funny, how "b-but i want romances!" immediately leads to corruption. inquisition should take notes.

Lamiosa

Educated

The Convictions system is still under development. The beta has a prototype just to taste it
In that case, allow me to give feedback related to that.

The first option to just let the planet turn into a chaos one is too herectic, especially considering that you are doing that at the start of the story, just after becoming a rogue trader - I think that the planet falling to chaos should only happen without the intention, like for example by trying to save too much people. The problem is that people who want to play a character that slowly falls to chaos feel like they should go with that option because you need to progress your herectic bar, but that choice is too ridiculous. Imo, the first few chaos options should be like that one when you dress like a cultist. Edit: maybe the herectic option should be something like: be greedy and delay the planet's destruction by trying to grab some resources and that goes wrong and the planet ends up falling to chaos.

Non-spoiler version: please less "Iiiiidiots, you never noticed my herectic machinations, I was a chaos worshipper from the start!" and more gradually falling to chaos. Both options would be the ideal, but as that implies a lot more work, at least do that latter, as it is more popular by far (at least I think so).

Another feedback: this system works a lot like in Mass Effect and that system was not very popular as it "forces" people to always choose the same (in rogue trader case, herectic, imperium or benevolent). The feedback ends there though as I'm not sure how to improve it without rebuilding it from scratch (too late probably), hopefully other codexers have some ideas.

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned

In that case, allow me to give feedback related to that.

The first option to just let the planet turn into a chaos one is too herectic, especially considering that you are doing that at the start of the story, just after becoming a rogue trader - I think that the planet falling to chaos should only happen without the intention, like for example by trying to save too much people. The problem is that people who want to play a character that slowly falls to chaos feel like they should go with that option because you need to progress your herectic bar, but that choice is too ridiculous. Imo, the first few chaos options should be like that one when you dress like a cultist. Edit: maybe the herectic option should be something like: be greedy and delay the planet's destruction by trying to grab some resources and that goes wrong and the planet ends up falling to chaos.

Non-spoiler version: please less "Iiiiidiots, you never noticed my herectic machinations, I was a chaos worshipper from the start!" and more gradually falling to chaos. Both options would be the ideal, but as that implies a lot more work, at least do that latter, as it is more popular by far (at least I think so).

Another feedback: this system works a lot like in Mass Effect and that system was not very popular as it "forces" people to always choose the same (in rogue trader case, herectic, imperium or benevolent). The feedback ends there though as I'm not sure how to improve it without rebuilding it from scratch (too late probably), hopefully other codexers have some ideas.
The first planet wasn't done that badly.
Save yourself, and leave the rest to die. With hints from your little helper that stuck with you from the prologue if you made the correct choice.
Though I agree that current system, will just force you to play on the rail to farm convictions points.
The solution could be to do the points as a milestones, and leting you to just role play what you want between them. Like for example for chaos, accepting some unholy help and getting corrupted that way, while the IoM path would be to tell that abomination to piss off, and getting some support from big E.(Since it appears we will have, be heretic/demon or living saint of big E, and that third road which feels like Tau bullshit)

Is there any viable way to counter the dodge stat, other than aoe attacks and psyker powers?
I know some weapons do reduce it, but it seems to do shit when fighting eldars.
At least in melee your agility reduces dodge chance of your targets. I'm not sure how ranged works
Maybe awareness, would make sense.
I found out that hunter have ability "trail the prey" it was called I think, that increase your odds of hitting something at range.

Last edited:

Edgetard

Educated
ok, first ghey kaos codexers found. funny, how "b-but i want romances!" immediately leads to corruption. inquisition should take notes.
Look im looking out for lore rape that I can nitpick so far the standard line imperialis doesnt have any the nice guy being able to talk a heretic out of being a heretic is both cringe and lore rape (ah yes the slaanesh corrupted bitch with an orgy opium den is really going to be talked down from that shit also no shooting her after you talk her down double cringe) so im assuming the eldar romance and chaos paths will have BAD lore rape

Edgetard

Educated
ive only just got the xenos companion
havent commited vile heresy
:nocountryforshitposters:
They do an ok job of not lore rapeing it into your squad pulling the common enemy line that is always used to justify an imperium xenos alliance
the eldar also is very in line with being an eldar eg never explains what its doing or why forces you to go through bullshit thst could have been solved MUCH quicker thinks its better than you even the inquisition agrees with it on fighting the greater enemy of course it never tells you about that enemy forcing you to find out about the bullshit yourself
fucking eldar

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Some early combat encounter feedback:-

• I thought the warp lore checks to pinpoint Tzeench demon in the tunnels was great. Mind controlling the nearby inhabitants was also a nice touch. The only problem is that the daemon has trouble aiming its magic missile attack, because it kept shooting into obstacles or cover. It failed to hit my characters every cast in the encounter.
  • The cultist encounter with the giant lens burning out eyes was neat, but uneven. 14 enemies felt more like a slog, especially when I realized that I could just stay in the entry way with my ranged characters and slowly pick off the enemies (consequently, the environmental damage from the steam vents or the traps in the back of the room had zero relevance). While I was really excited to see the Tzeench daemons, they didn't add much in terms of lethality to the encounter. I would recommend fewer enemies, but have one or two grenadiers (or the Tzeench daemons with an AOE ability) that force you move your ranged characters and/or actually contend with the steam or the traps. Also, perhaps a few more traps or steam vents.
  • I enjoyed the option to disguise yourself as a cultist and save the tech priest in the temple. I was expecting a huge slog to kill all of those cultists, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ability to mass-kill them.
  • Aurora's encounter was again a nice touch, killing the electro cultists to delay the self-destruct sequence; however, it was way too easy. I can't believe I am saying this, but it could also use more enemies to stifle your ability to focus the electrocultists. While I rarely believe adding more copy&paste enemies adds much to an encounter, this is an exception.
  • It may be early, but in the same map that introduces the flamethrower cultists, perhaps include a single grenadier, a medic, and/or a psyker to help differentiate each cultist encounter (not necessarily all three). Until the tower with the sniper, it was just a repeat of melee cultist, rifle cultist, and flamethrower cultist, and there were 3-5 of those same encounters.

To beat a dead horse, it kind of is a shame you cannot romance Argenta, because she is so damn useful; easily one of the best companions.

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned

Play buggy games, win buggy prizes.
That's pretty much what I expected, when I bough alpha/beta.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So, for all those people who want a subtle and non-moustache twirling chaos villain or player option, does that exist elsewhere in 40k?

100% of all chaos depictions I've seen in 40k is a big ham, chewing the scenery and outrageously edgelordy bad guys.

I'm trying to rack my brain for one thing I've read or seen where it's subtle and mature. Maybe some of the primarchs back before they turned into daemons, but they're full on wahahaha mode now.

Look what they did to poor Morty in the most recent Grey Knights game:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, for all those people who want a subtle and non-moustache twirling chaos villain or player option, does that exist elsewhere in 40k?

100% of all chaos depictions I've seen in 40k is a big ham, chewing the scenery and outrageously edgelordy bad guys.

I'm trying to rack my brain for one thing I've read or seen where it's subtle and mature. Maybe some of the primarchs back before they turned into daemons, but they're full on wahahaha mode now.

Eisenhorn goes from Puritan to Radical throughout the books. A slow fall to chaos

Skorpion

Educated
Going to wait for a few more build/patches to be put out. Really running into rough edges and I have to be honest the camera in this game is really bad.
When you can spin 360 but 90% of the walls in the environment block line of sight from that angle it gets really frustrating. I feel like Im playing with the camera more than the game.
Will be back in a few months to retry it but for now it feels too irritating to mess with.

Joyvankek

Learned

Tzeentch cults prefer to work in shadows, with manipulation and subterfuge.
It's just that 90% of the times GW or those who buy the license, prefer to go the easy way with chaos and chose Khorne or Nurgle.
Not much of nuance in them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom