Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ChildInTime

Savant
Whoever designed those space map ambushes, like it's some fucking old SMT dungeon crawler, should be hanged by the balls - it was shit in kingmaker and wrath, and it's utter shit here as well. When you stop to have a 10 minute turn-based battle every time you want to move somewhere, that's just plain bad.

X6WYbdz.jpg

Last edited:

ChildInTime

Savant
Whoever designed those space map ambushes, like it's some fucking old SMT dungeon crawler, should be hanged by the balls.

I really enjoyed the special warp travel event in which the PC wakes up in his bedroom and is assaulted by a bunch of deamonettes.
Yeah, the daemonettes I get - they warped in there, but what about the twenty random mooks that came out of nowhere? Like, how the fuck did they even get to the captains quarters without anyone noticing?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The heck?
The game is already in ALPHA?

What do they give for food in Russia? These guys had made more games in a couple of years than most "big" studios in a decade.

It is quite easy to churn out games when most of your assets and models are recycled from previous iterations, and you have no financial incentive to improve the graphics or modeling from your recycled assets.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Whoever designed those space map ambushes, like it's some fucking old SMT dungeon crawler, should be hanged by the balls.

I really enjoyed the special warp travel event in which the PC wakes up in his bedroom and is assaulted by a bunch of deamonettes.
Yeah, the daemonettes I get - they warped in there, but what about the twenty random mooks that came out of nowhere? Like, how the fuck did they even get to the captains quarters without anyone noticing?
Daemons don't just randomly manifest through a working Gellar Field. First thing you do if there's a daemonic incursion is to shoot your psyker and navigator.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

If the enemy ship is equipped with a Teleportarium, AND your Void Shields are down for some reason, then they can teleport a force pretty much anywhere on your ship. Bridge or the Captain's quarters are extremely logical choices, as would be the warp drive or the power core.

ChildInTime

Savant

If the enemy ship is equipped with a Teleportarium, AND your Void Shields are down for some reason, then they can teleport a force pretty much anywhere on your ship. Bridge or the Captain's quarters are extremely logical choices, as would be the warp drive or the power core.
From what I understood it all happened during warp travel, while the gellar was up and running. MC just has a bad dream and Slaanesh daemons show up in your bed, along with the murder brigade of traitors from the lower decks.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

From what I understood it all happened during warp travel, while the gellar was up and running. MC just has a bad dream and Slaanesh daemons show up in your bed, along with the murder brigade of traitors from the lower decks.
Sounds like a extremely well equipped Chaos cultists on your ship. Still possible within the lore, but less and less likely.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

ChildInTime

Savant

Sounds like a extremely well equipped Chaos cultists on your ship. Still possible within the lore, but less and less likely.
Seems likely.
ZJ7P4Od.jpg

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
First thing you do if there's a daemonic incursion is to shoot your psyker and navigator.
Oh yes. That will doubtless end well.
All ships have spare navigators precisely because of such events.
And these spare navigators aren't considered a threat in your scenario... why exactly?
You shoot the one that's turning into The Thing, not all of them.

This is all in the novels but I'm not going to discuss lore questions in a fucking Owlcat thread.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

I am pretty sure the text at the start of the event mentioned that Geller Field fluctuated briefly, which is how the demons got there. Of course how the rebel/insane crewmen got there is another matter...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I am pretty sure the text at the start of the event mentioned that Geller Field fluctuated briefly, which is how the demons got there. Of course how the rebel/insane crewmen got there is another matter...
Warp fuckery by the cult's Magus could potentially allow for close-range teleportation. That or extremely good tech in the cult's posession. Should even work with the Void Shields up, as long as the origin and destination points remain within the shields. Or perhaps the cult stumbled upon the secret passages and forgotten maintenance ducts the ship is *bound* to be riddled with?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Owlcat just reused Pathfinder visuals to shave off development time, there really isn't anything else to this.
I don't think that's all there is to it. This is in fact a more light-hearted take on the Warhammer 40k universe (just like the original Rogue Trader edition of the Warhammer 40k tabletop game was). It's a swashbuckling space adventure where you play a powerful aristocrat with special privileges and a retinue of ~diverse~ companions.

So it's not like the content of the game is going to be super duper grimdark and the graphics won't fit. The graphics will match the content. These are the kinds of stories Owlcat likes to tell.

Why is it any time someone tries to justify lore rape, missing the point of 40k or just generally doing the wrong things with the settings, The original version of Rogue Trader becomes this hazy thing that can be applyied to everything.

Most of you aren't old enough to remember Rogue Trader, and I'm sure Shillitron is banking on that. BUT I AM. In 1978 I went to that shitty little rundown shop called Games Workshop in Hammersmith to go buy Traveller. The venerable big black books. Years later I returned because I thought the space men minis looked really cool and wanted to see what the fuss was about this space war game thing. In the original version of Rogue Trader 1st edition 40k (not the actual Rogue Trader TTRPG this is ACTUALLY based on) there was a consistent punk/heavy metal asthetic. Even at it's most comedic, it wasn't rounded edges and over saturated colours, It was a heavy metal album. It was still dirty, grimy, dark, and with a muted colour pallet. It was never light hearted, it was never safe, it was never whatever the fuck Pathfinder is. The aesthetic of this game is all wrong. And it doesn't even look like Rogue Trader so don't dare use that as an excuse. It's blatantly wrong. Rogue Trader wasn't really a game, or a setting. It was a collection of nebulous ideas shat out to sell a range of science fiction minis and then later refined into second edition. Where the setting became more fleshed out, the rules were actually decent (if casual to the average historical wargamer), and the "hobby" started forming.

Owlcat wanted a more cartoony and less mature version of 40k. They can recycle old assets and they can then market it to the same audience who is ready to get fooled into paying to alpha test a game and have their feedback ignored for the third time. Anyone who tries to bring up "muh Rogue Trader" is going to have to deal with a grumpy old man who has no time for your lies and actually read that shitty fucking verbal diahrea of a rule book.

Edit:

Just to really prove my point, one need only look at the front cover of the Rogue Trader 1st edition rules.

iu

What part of this image in any way looks lighthearted? Exagerated? Sure. In the same way a lot of science fiction books, metal album cover art, 2000AD covers and more had exaggerated and unrealistic line art. But it didn't have an oversaturated and overly colourful pallet or rounded edges meant to attract a wider audience.

Compare and contrast with screenshots from the video game.

iu

They are not the same. So stop bringing up Rogue Trader as the excuse for every last bit of crappy shit that GW or companies making Warhammer products produce. Everything is clean, rounded, and colourful. There's no sense of weight, of 10'000 years come and gone. The last few years of a dark age before complete collapse. It looks shit and half assed. No "It's an alpha" is not an excuse when they are preparing this for public consumption.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Owlcat just reused Pathfinder visuals to shave off development time, there really isn't anything else to this.
I don't think that's all there is to it. This is in fact a more light-hearted take on the Warhammer 40k universe (just like the original Rogue Trader edition of the Warhammer 40k tabletop game was). It's a swashbuckling space adventure where you play a powerful aristocrat with special privileges and a retinue of ~diverse~ companions.

So it's not like the content of the game is going to be super duper grimdark and the graphics won't fit. The graphics will match the content. These are the kinds of stories Owlcat likes to tell.

Why is it any time someone tries to justify lore rape, missing the point of 40k or just generally doing the wrong things with the settings, The original version of Rogue Trader becomes this hazy thing that can be applyied to everything.

Most of you aren't old enough to remember Rogue Trader, and I'm sure Shillitron is banking on that. BUT I AM. In 1978 I went to that shitty little rundown shop called Games Workshop in Hammersmith to go buy Traveller. The venerable big black books. Years later I returned because I thought the space men minis looked really cool and wanted to see what the fuss was about this space war game thing. In the original version of Rogue Trader 1st edition 40k (not the actual Rogue Trader TTRPG this is ACTUALLY based on) there was a consistent punk/heavy metal asthetic. Even at it's most comedic, it wasn't rounded edges and over saturated colours, It was a heavy metal album. It was still dirty, grimy, dark, and with a muted colour pallet. It was never light hearted, it was never safe, it was never whatever the fuck Pathfinder is. The aesthetic of this game is all wrong. And it doesn't even look like Rogue Trader so don't dare use that as an excuse. It's blatantly wrong. Rogue Trader wasn't really a game, or a setting. It was a collection of nebulous ideas shat out to sell a range of science fiction minis and then later refined into second edition. Where the setting became more fleshed out, the rules were actually decent (if casual to the average historical wargamer), and the "hobby" started forming.

Owlcat wanted a more cartoony and less mature version of 40k. They can recycle old assets and they can then market it to the same audience who is ready to get fooled into paying to alpha test a game and have their feedback ignored for the third time. Anyone who tries to bring up "muh Rogue Trader" is going to have to deal with a grumpy old man who has no time for your lies and actually read that shitty fucking verbal diahrea of a rule book.

200.gif

ChildInTime

Savant

Edit:

Just to really prove my point, one need only look at the front cover of the Rogue Trader 1st edition rules.

iu

What part of this image in any way looks lighthearted? Exagerated? Sure. In the same way a lot of science fiction books, metal album cover art, 2000AD covers and more had exaggerated and unrealistic line art. But it didn't have an oversaturated and overly colourful pallet or rounded edges meant to attract a wider audience.

Compare and contrast with screenshots from the video game.

iu

They are not the same. So stop bringing up Rogue Trader as the excuse for every last bit of crappy shit that GW or companies making Warhammer products produce. Everything is clean, rounded, and colourful. There's no sense of weight, of 10'000 years come and gone. The last few years of a dark age before complete collapse. It looks shit and half assed. No "It's an alpha" is not an excuse when they are preparing this for public consumption.
I went and booted Bloodlines again just to post this in response.

vGvQnvr.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom