Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

zapotec

Liturgist
It's not about how cool or intelligent they are, it's about the fact that everything about Orks is fundamentally alien to a human frame of reference

I just can't see any way that an Ork could possibly work with humans in any meaningful sense
It's since the first edition of Warhammer 40k (35 years ago) that some group of orks are willing to fight for humans after payment.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not about how cool or intelligent they are, it's about the fact that everything about Orks is fundamentally alien to a human frame of reference

I just can't see any way that an Ork could possibly work with humans in any meaningful sense
It's since the first edition of Warhammer 40k (35 years ago) that some group of orks are willing to fight for humans after payment.

Not canon if I don't think it is

Yosharian

Arcane

Is that what motivates Orks?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Is that what motivates Orks?
Yes? Orks like two things, loot and fighting.
Promise them guns, ammunition, bling and a good battle and they might be interested

Humbaba

Arcane

Patently wrong, since Blood Axes and Freebootaz work with humies all the time.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Patently wrong, since Blood Axes and Freebootaz work with humies all the time.
Nah, it's an exception to the rule that people love to integrate (into their game, novel, you name it) because Orks are da best.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
because Orks are da best.

Ork used to be THE xenos race, almost a flagship faction for GW besides the space marines. But in recent years that seems to have changed and I'm seeing less Orky happenings than I used to, especially in third party media. This is perhaps because orks are a little bit too comedic for the current tone of the setting.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Ork used to be THE xenos race, almost a flagship faction for GW besides the space marines. But in recent years that seems to have changed and I'm seeing less Orky happenings than I used to, especially in third party media. This is perhaps because orks are a little bit too comedic for the current tone of the setting.
Eh, I dunno about that. I think the tone of the setting is a lot less grim than it used to be. Just look at the art work. Less Blanche Smith, more by the numbers digital deviant art shit.
I think it's because they're pushing Space Marines even harder now, to suck in the main stream audience. You know, the ones into Master Chief, Gears of War and Starcraft.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Eh, I dunno about that. I think the tone of the setting is a lot less grim than it used to be. Just look at the art work. Less Blanche Smith, more by the numbers digital deviant art shit.
I think it's because they're pushing Space Marines even harder now, to suck in the main stream audience. You know, the ones into Master Chief, Gears of War and Starcraft.
Bell curve of grimness. We're a bit behind peak. ;)

Harthwain

Magister
Not sure what you mean. The most common races are Space Marines, Orks, Eldars and Chaos (Space Marines). Sometimes Tyranids get in. It is less about "tone of the setting" and more that Rogue Trader doesn't fit Orks as companions. If we're talking about who gets less exposition then Necros, Tau and Dark Eldars are the rare occurrences by comparison.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Less grim maybe, but also less satiric. Everything is serious business all the time now. Just look at any of their animated stuff or the video games. Orks by their nature are comedic relief.

Not sure what you mean. The most common races are Space Marines, Orks, Eldars and Chaos (Space Marines). Sometimes Tyranids get in. It is less about "tone of the setting" and more that Rogue Trader doesn't fit Orks as companions. If we're talking about who gets less exposition then Necros, Tau and Dark Eldars are the rare occurrences by comparison.

I've been seeing 'nids and Necrons way more than Orks.

Besides the actual tabletop, all the other 40k-related media have way less Ork content, and they tend to be separated into their own thing.

The only recent 40k game that had a Orks in the spotlight was specifically an ork thing, and it looked like this.

shootas-blood-and-teef-physical-edition.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
I've been seeing 'nids and Necrons way more than Orks.

Besides the actual tabletop, all the other 40k-related media have way less Ork content, and they tend to be separated into their own thing.
It may appear that way, because Necrons and Tyranids suddenly got a bit more games featuring them, but I don't think that's because Games Workshop has something against Orks. It's more like developers wanted to show off less used xeno races and faction (such as Necrons vs Adeptus Mechanicus). We also got a bunch of Necromunda-related stuff.

The only recent 40k game that had a Orks in the spotlight was specifically an ork thing, and it looked like this.
Depends what you mean by "recent".

Peachcurl

Cipher
And Chaos. Especially Nurgle.
Oh yeah, Nurgle seems to have won the lottery recently. Good on ol' Papa, I guess (I cannot begrudge the jovial chap anything, really), but I do wonder about GeeDubs motivation here. If, indeed, they happen to have a comprehensible motivation this time.
Here's my guess for their reasoning
- Khorne: Pure aggression, nothing much to tell a story. Just used as occasional fluff.
- Tzeentch: Too complicated.
- Slanesh: Uh oh. Politically inconvenient for the moment.
- Nurgle: Funny but also grim. Plus it gets some cheap publicity as a side effect of Covid et al.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
And Chaos. Especially Nurgle.
Oh yeah, Nurgle seems to have won the lottery recently. Good on ol' Papa, I guess (I cannot begrudge the jovial chap anything, really), but I do wonder about GeeDubs motivation here. If, indeed, they happen to have a comprehensible motivation this time.
Here's my guess for their reasoning
- Khorne: Pure aggression, nothing much to tell a story. Just used as occasional fluff.
- Tzeentch: Too complicated.
- Slanesh: Uh oh. Politically inconvenient for the moment.
- Nurgle: Funny but also grim. Plus it gets some cheap publicity as a side effect of Covid et al.
It's very logical. So probably not what GeeDubs had in mind.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
nurgle is easiest to implement. just make game about zombies and shit.

Case in point: Darktide is literally Left4Dead with 40k aesthetics.

Game's kind of shit but the bolter is so fucking good that I'm waiting for them to add content so I can play more.

It only has like 15 rounds per mag but it straight up deletes anything that's not a boss, even on Damnation.

:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom