Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ferratilis

Magister
The UI looks really nice, it fits the theme, and is easily readable. If there's one thing Owlcats always nail, it's the UI. Take notes, Larian, you dipshits!

Camel

Scholar
Downloading right now. I am supposed to be on a video conference all day tomorrow, guess I will just keep it runing in the background as I play - must remember to keep the mic muted though :shredder:
Modern problems require modern solutions!
What do mean by Psyker gameplay? There were several occasions of that Psyker companion (Idira) shooting lightning at enemies.
Victor's gonna be despondent cause the MC can't be a mage psyker.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It worked pretty well for the both BFG games tbh fam. Also I imagine that the devs didnt feel like producing a Homeworld-like system for space combat in a game that is focussed primarily on classic RPG gameplay.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
It worked pretty well for the both BFG games tbh fam. Also I imagine that the devs didnt feel like producing a Homeworld-like system for space combat in a game that is focussed primarily on classic RPG gameplay.
Everyone already knows that this secondary game sucks and will always suck like all their others if they don't shake it up. Being defensive about it is totally nonsensical.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm just waiting for the game to be released and for some madlad modders to give it a complete visual overhaul so it actually looks like 40k.

So... 5+ years or so.

But in the meantime, at least they got the "run into melee range to shoot them" aspect of 40k right. :kingcomrade:

RT_gif_frame_4.gif

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Got the Alpha...we all know how that goes.

I need some dark here! Talking "Blame!" style dark! That darkness needs horror. I will contact Owlcat later on about it.

Remember an Alpha you can help them to craft the game better. Give your professional opinions on how they should make space combat better. Give examples have them contact those developers on how they did it and what worked.

Obviously it needs to be 3d and look a lot better.

But combat also needs to be more involved with characters getting knocked down, almost eaten alive on the ground, knocked back etc.

Just the Alpha and does look very good.

As for music it's really going to be less about composition and more about FX and tone. So a theme could be some distorted glitched pad sound that runs by on one side of the screen. There are no real rules just keeping the of atmosphere.

Do I like the music it's BLAND AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure including a space marine was a good idea. Does the tabletop game have such an option?
Like he should be so much stronger than your regular mortals such as senechal as to make them redundant. So they will have to balance him to make him just as weak. :negative:

Its been 11 years but i'm still butthurt about how tactical marines were rekt both in melee and at range by ig catachan devils in dawn of war 2 retribution because balance. :argh:

Psykers, navigator, eldar and mechanicus dude are fine i guess.
The 40k RPG was split into 3 games. Dark Heresy had you as low level minions of the Inquisition where you are a normal human. A single Chaos Space Marine would be a boss. Rogue Trader (which this game is an adaptation of) has regular humans but with cool stuff so you're not as squishy. Deathwatch had you play as Space Marines. They were several magnitudes stronger than DH or RT characters. There is no way they are adapting that straight from the rulebook.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
But after finishing watching the video and his bitching about lack of VO, your wish shall be granted.
He makes a reasonable point, actually.

Wrath of the Righteous was pretty damn weird in that sense, too, since there were sizable portions of the game that were basically fully voiced and other where there was hardly a single voiced line.
If you go out of your way to voice 45-50% of your game, you may as well do the extra step and do the full thing. It comes at an additional cost, sure, but there are arguments to be made about how a fully voiced game basically repays itself just with the increase in audience that this can bring.
Hmm? Wotr is like at most 10% voiced. Just major NPCs, and not even all lines. Is that 45% percent refered to Wotr because that's plainly wrong.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Games should be fully voiced or not voiced at all. Anything between 0% and 100% is worse than either.
False. How can you say for example planescape torment would be better with 0% voice acting.

Beside voice acting requires also good voice actors, which are rarity and risk to ruin what otherwise would have been quality writing.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
0% VA >>> 100% VA > between 0% and 100% VA
Yes, voice acting requires good voice actors, and this does not contradict what I said.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
0% VA >>> 100% VA > between 0% and 100% VA
Yes, voice acting requires good voice actors, and this does not contradict what I said.
It contradicts 100% being over the 0-100% range, as most games are voiced badly, because of bad voice acting.
You should try to motivate what you say instead of thinking your shit taste applies to everyone without need to be explained.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't had a chance to watch the videos or anything yet, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some art changes as time goes on. When the Wrath alpha and betas started, it was literally Kingmaker placeholders. As time went on, much of it was replaced and the colour palette was altered. Kingmaker and Wrath look fairly different in the details.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of their assets are literally Wrath placeholders allowing them to get things mocked up and started more quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom