Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - now with Void Shadows DLC

Yoomazir

Educated
DLC waifus status?

Longes

Augur
My previous playthrough has been in pause for so long I'm just considering the idea of starting from zero again.

Tha said, I'm not sure if I want to go back again to the commissar/officer build I played previously. While it was extremely effective, I felt like I was mostly assisting my squad (and throwing almost every single one of my turns at them) rather than doing much myself, not ot mention because I'd like to attempt approaching the game from a different angle/role.

Any suggestion of some build that is reasonably fun AND well suited for the main character role?
Death World / Priest / Blademaster
The key components are Death World and Bladedancer, you can replace Priest with Crime Lord (for dodge optimization) or literally anything else.
Death World and Bladedancer make a killer combo thanks to Facing the End and Wounded Beast abilities. Facing the End gives you +10 WS and AG per trauma. Wounded Beast gives you +15 AG and WP per trauma. You have 80 Weapon Skill and 150 Agility by level 9. Just start every zone by having a companion wack you until all your limbs are broken.

Bladedancer then leverages your massive Agility into damage. Priest adds even more damage with Flensing Faith, while Crime Lord gives infinite dodge with Escape Plan. Use Noble's Sword (from the prison planet) in one hand, and whatever you want in another - Noble's Sword scales infinitely and works perfectly with Bladedancer doing a ton of attacks.

The only downside here is that you suck at skills because you are at a constant -15 to all stats which aren't WS, AG, or WP. But companions are better at most skills anyway - keep Cassia, Pasqal, and (optionally) Jae in your party.

oz7Oy5o.png

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'm liking this dlc so far, i'm hoping owlcat keeps up this trend of story expansion dlcs with new companions thrown in over some sideplot that has nothing to do with the main game.

Entering commorragh now so will see if the dlc content dries up after that, could be it just frontloads more things to do in chap 1-3 which are already agreed to be the game's best anyways.
But yeah so far got lots of decent onboard ship drama and some sidequests in the vanilla game got super expanded to be more an overarching plot so will see where that goes.

Then you get a killer goth hyper speed combat assassin waifu sworn to you in blood who would kill you herself before allowing any heretic or xenos to defile you (chap 3 still happens but its the thought that counts!). Cringe jokes aside, i expect death cultists to become a lot more popular in general now because dlc sells them well.

Also dunno if its the dlc companion effect but i get the impression a higher % of npcs react to having her in the party over the eldar, inquisitor, mutant noble or sister of battle in the same crew, must suck to be a death cultist introvert.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm liking this dlc so far, i'm hoping owlcat keeps up this trend of story expansion dlcs with new companions thrown in over some sideplot that has nothing to do with the main game.

Entering commorragh now so will see if the dlc content dries up after that, could be it just frontloads more things to do in chap 1-3 which are already agreed to be the game's best anyways.
But yeah so far got lots of decent onboard ship drama and some sidequests in the vanilla game got super expanded to be more an overarching plot so will see where that goes.

Then you get a killer goth hyper speed combat assassin waifu sworn to you in blood who would kill you herself before allowing any heretic or xenos to defile you (chap 3 still happens but its the thought that counts!). Cringe jokes aside, i expect death cultists to become a lot more popular in general now because dlc sells them well.

Also dunno if its the dlc companion effect but i get the impression a higher % of npcs react to having her in the party over the eldar, inquisitor, mutant noble or sister of battle in the same crew, must suck to be a death cultist introvert.
I wonder if you can corrupt her to become Heretic alongside you.. I still need to do my Heretic run.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

I wonder if you can corrupt her to become Heretic alongside you.. I still need to do my Heretic run.
You can and it is super easy to do so along with corrupting her entire cult because out of the gate they are sworn to you, if you want to make them heretics all it takes is a little push.

If anything it's been my main takeaway of the value of having death cults of killer dominatrixes compared to your standard ecclesiarch clergy: much more vulnerable to being influenced from whoever they consider their boss, but otherwise more difficult to infiltrate and subvert from below because it's easier for heretics or xenos infiltrators to larp as or steal the identity of an imperial preacher then it is to go through all the crazy trials and mind rape you gotta do to be a death cultist.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think I will still just finish my current Iconoclast run without this DLC and wait for that big Patch 1.3 before getting the DLC and doing a Heretic run.
D4 new season is starting soon and after that PoE2 early access so I am not in a hurry.
Heretic Christmas holidays with RT sounds good :D

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
You can and it is super easy to do so along with corrupting her entire cult because out of the gate they are sworn to you, if you want to make them heretics all it takes is a little push.

If anything it's been my main takeaway of the value of having death cults of killer dominatrixes compared to your standard ecclesiarch clergy: much more vulnerable to being influenced from whoever they consider their boss, but otherwise more difficult to infiltrate and subvert from below because it's easier for heretics or xenos infiltrators to larp as or steal the identity of an imperial preacher then it is to go through all the crazy trials and mind rape you gotta do to be a death cultist.
Feels is pretty clever to have this ONE companion being so moldable to your whims and even change her alignments without feeling ego stroking. I hope the Adeptus Arbites doesn't work like her and have a fixed aligment..

Longes

Augur
Soo, those who have already completed the DLC, how did you like it? How did you like the new Archetypes?
It's good. IMO, the best DLC Owlcat ever made. New locations are gorgeous, and Astropathic Choir music is next level.

New archetypes are good in abstract, and pretty strong mechanically. I'm not entirely sold on their integration though. Like Marazhai really feels like he should have the exact same build as Kibellah, but he's a Warrior.

It looks like there's more origin reactivity now, which is very welcome. Being able to influence your ship's workings is also cool.

I'd hope for an eventual rework of Heretical path so it's less buggy and awkward, but considering 70% of the players went Iconoclast and there's not a third DLC promised - this seems unlikely.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Soo, those who have already completed the DLC, how did you like it? How did you like the new Archetypes?
Off Topic, but i was wondering why you guys picked Operative that can be level up into Executioner when from what i got from my Theory crafting, there's little to no synergy outside of a few Talents scalling off INT, 3 of them, and Operative is not good as Melee Class outside of Pasqal, so the whole Bleed on Melee is wasted on it. Even as Psyker, you would be better off as Warrior or Blade Dancer because there's only one Ability that synergy with Ranged attacks.

Same goes for Officer into Vanguard.

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, whatare the best classes for psyker telepath MC? or a psyker biopath? Or should I skip to a pyrokinetic one? Considering the DLC changes I mean.

Longes

Augur
Soo, whatare the best classes for psyker telepath MC? or a psyker biopath? Or should I skip to a pyrokinetic one? Considering the DLC changes I mean.
Tough question, as it really depends on what you want to do. They can go in many different directions and you can buy multiple disciplines. Companion Idira is a Telepath Operative. Companion Heinrix is a Warrior Biomancer/Sanctic.

Telepath - this is one of the best blaster-caster disciplines, though it currently competes with Pyromancer after Pyromancer got buffed. Telepath goes well Operative->Assassin. You'll be using Assassin to maneuver the battlefield, set up your big cone attacks, and go invisible to avoid damage. Operative gets you damage scaling.
Pyromancer can go either Warrior/Bladedancer for a melee build, or Soldier for a blaster caster. The latter greatly benefits from taking Telepathy on the side for some of its passives.
Biomancer doesn't do much on its own, it's a healer/buffer discipline. But you can buff yourself, and its passives are pretty alright.
Sanctic makes for a great blaster caster - take Officer->Master Tactician, stack Resolve, murder people.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4703536805558231855
The Grim Darkness Challenge comes!
Lord Captains!

To celebrate the launch of the Void Shadows DLC and the introduction of Grim Darkness (“Ironman”) Mode for Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Owlcat Games is happy to announce a large competitive event:
The Grim Darkness Challenge!

What is The Grim Darkness Challenge?
It is an intense competitive event for streamers, where, over the course of two weeks, participants will compete live in beating (or making it as far as they can in!) Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader on
Daring difficulty in Grim Darkness mode
- a newly introduced brutal gameplay mode where only a single save is allowed and is rewritten every time a player exits the game. All decisions and consequences in this mode are final, reloading is impossible, and if the party is defeated—the game is over!

Registration
In order to participate, you need to either be a streamer that is already a part of our partnership program Owlmates, or have a channel on Youtube or Twitch with at least 5000 subscribers and a reasonable number of views on recent videos. We’re ready to discuss corner cases (for example, some leeway may be given to non-English-speaking streamers with national audiences), but also reserve the right to deny registration without explanation if we consider it necessary.

For registration and all questions, contact Owlcat CM Starrok (Starrok on Discord or u/OwlcatStarrok on Reddit), or Owlcat CM Nathillien (Nathillien on Discord or u/OwlcatNathillien on Reddit).

Registration will remain open until October 14.

Victory conditions
  • Winner is determined by beating the game or reaching the furthest Act without the player’s party ever being defeated.
  • If multiple players have reached the same act or have beaten the game, tiebreakers are resolved by the number of quests completed (you can check completed quests in the journal).
  • If still tied, the victory is determined in favor of the player who spent the least in-game time on their playthrough.

The challenge will begin on
00:00 GMT October 22
, and last for 2 weeks until
23:59 GMT November 4
, or until all players have successfully completed their playthroughs or were eliminated.

And remember: in the Grim Darkness of the far future, there is only one winner, and their feat will be rewarded with a unique prize!

In-game Rules
  • Grim Darkness mode must be enabled;
  • Daring Difficulty must be enabled;
  • Void Shadows DLC must be installed and enabled;
  • All free and cosmetic DLCs can be enabled;
  • Any background or character-selection choices are allowed;
  • Any ship type is allowed;
  • Only single player is allowed;
  • No mercenaries are allowed (only story companions);
  • No mods can be used;
  • It is prohibited to shutdown or alter the game in any way in order to prevent a death, make a different choice, or redo a skillcheck. Live with the consequences of your choices!

Technical Requirements
  • After each game session, the participant must upload the following stats to the provided Discord channel:
    - Time played this session;
    - Total time played in campaign;
    - Current Act # reached
    - Number of completed quests (visible in the quest log)
    - Party setup that was used most of the time for this session (companions and archetypes). Builds don't need to be uploaded, but must be available on request.

• Playthroughs must happen strictly LIVE, with the streams and their records saved in case a need arises to check them. If you have connection issues, please save the game and continue when your connection is restored.

• All participants must manually make a backup of their save after every session (by default it is located in C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader) to prevent unexpected progress loss due to power outages, Steam Cloud issues, bugs, and other force majeure factors.

• If continuing or finishing the playthrough is impossible due to a non-gameplay related reason (a bug, power failure, hardware or software issues, etc.), contact the organizers. We may be able to let you continue from a previous backed-up save or restart the game, depending on the circumstances.

• We strongly urge all participants to use the #GrimDarknessChallenge hashtag in their media.

Cheating and Exploits
  • It is forbidden to exploit bugs and a clearly unintended use of game mechanics to gain a gameplay advantage. If you are in doubt as to whether the situation can be classified as such, contact the organizers.
  • No mods or external software may be used to modify the game or save or to alter them in any way.

Participants who break any of the rules above may be disqualified at the organizers' discretion.

Good luck!

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Does this dlc require new start or is it compatible with older saves?
As soon as you load a old save , you can turn the dlc on but can't turn off.

It works better in a new save or at least one in Act 1 or 2 because a lot of the new content is introduced right after the prologue I'm doing part of the dlc in Act 1 right now.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
It's good. IMO, the best DLC Owlcat ever made. New locations are gorgeous, and Astropathic Choir music is next level.

New archetypes are good in abstract, and pretty strong mechanically. I'm not entirely sold on their integration though. Like Marazhai really feels like he should have the exact same build as Kibellah, but he's a Warrior.

It looks like there's more origin reactivity now, which is very welcome. Being able to influence your ship's workings is also cool.

I'd hope for an eventual rework of Heretical path so it's less buggy and awkward, but considering 70% of the players went Iconoclast and there's not a third DLC promised - this seems unlikely.
Cool-cool, I'm glad you enjoy it overall. Yeah, origin reactivity is something that was asked a lot.
Off Topic, but i was wondering why you guys picked Operative that can be level up into Executioner when from what i got from my Theory crafting, there's little to no synergy outside of a few Talents scalling off INT, 3 of them, and Operative is not good as Melee Class outside of Pasqal, so the whole Bleed on Melee is wasted on it. Even as Psyker, you would be better off as Warrior or Blade Dancer because there's only one Ability that synergy with Ranged attacks.

That is our game designers shenanigans. But I'll try to beat the answers out of them XD

ArchAngel

Arcane

Cool-cool, I'm glad you enjoy it overall. Yeah, origin reactivity is something that was asked a lot.

That is our game designers shenanigans. But I'll try to beat the answers out of them XD
Also ask them to make Advanced Classes be accessible from 3 base classes (non DLC) instead of two. A lot of possible cool combinations are being killed by current system. It would be best if there were no limitations and everyone could take any advanced class.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Still working on completing but for the 2nd, think my opinion won't be a minority one when i say the archetypes are very fun and interactive.

Also can +1 the astrophathic choir being awesome:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom