Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Takamori

Learned
Did these fucks finally fix the last act bug galore or wait until December?
I played it recently (a month ago) and there were few minor bugs here and there in the last act but nothing extreme, mostly visual. I'd still recommend waiting until September 24th as they promised more patches and fixes before the DLC comes.
Well guess I will try to channel my autism to something else meanwhile. I will never learn the lesson to never buy an owlcat game at release.

babayaga

Literate
I played it recently (a month ago) and there were few minor bugs here and there in the last act but nothing extreme, mostly visual. I'd still recommend waiting until September 24th as they promised more patches and fixes before the DLC comes.
Well guess I will try to channel my autism to something else meanwhile. I will never learn the lesson to never buy an owlcat game at release.
The illusion of free will.
Doesn't matter when you buy it, it will always have bugs. The only difference is how many.

Doesn't matter when you buy it, it will always have bugs. The only difference is how many.
Way too many to be considered acceptable. Really question Owlcat decision in making four games in development and now a publisher when can barely make a minimum viable product at launch that requires a ton bug fixes to this day.

babayaga

Literate
Way too many to be considered acceptable. Really question Owlcat decision in making four games in development and now a publisher when can barely make a minimum viable product at launch that requires a ton bug fixes to this day.
It's tragic because RT is a genuinely good game and a lot of people hate it because of the shit show of a launch. (And I can't blame them at all)
Just few months of extra development and the game would have been great. It would have more sales too. RT's mid rating on Steam and GOG is caused mostly by reviews complaining about bugs and the unplayable state it was delivered in.
I just don't get why they have to shit out half finished project.
For the love of god, release it as a beta if you want your players to be the testers instead of hiring QA people.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
It's tragic because RT is a genuinely good game and a lot of people hate it because of the shit show of a launch. (And I can't blame them at all)
Just few months of extra development and the game would have been great. It would have more sales too. RT's mid rating on Steam and GOG is caused mostly by reviews complaining about bugs and the unplayable state it was delivered in.
For the love of god, release it as a beta if you want your players to be the testers instead of hiring QA people.
Well while I agree that Rogue Trader is an stellar game, I do think Owlcat should drop their strategy of releasing incomplete games and fixing them post-launch. I think them losing sales over this is totally warranted.

In the case of Rogue Trader, I think that the game suffers from missing content a bit. It's not just the bugs. Towards the end of the game, a number of dungeons seem lacking or entirely missing, and some of the companions seem as if they've had their entire character development part cut out (eg. Argenta). Overall I think the game needed to be about 30% larger.

babayaga

Literate
Well while I agree that Rogue Trader is an stellar game, I do think Owlcat should drop their strategy of releasing incomplete games and fixing them post-launch. I think them losing sales over this is totally warranted.

In the case of Rogue Trader, I think that the game suffers from missing content a bit. It's not just the bugs. Towards the end of the game, a number of dungeons seem lacking or entirely missing, and some of the companions seem as if they've had their entire character development part cut out (eg. Argenta). Overall I think the game needed to be about 30% larger.
I agree with you, I doubt they will fix Argenta but the new DLC might do the trick for the lack of content in chapter 4.

Ikit Claw

Literate

I haven't played an heretic RT, but I've always read it was half-cooked.
And chapter 4-5 needed more stuff to do.

Anyway, when the second DLC will drop, I'll be curios to play it again

The cut content in the late game is extremely noticeable. I get that CRPGS always has issue's in its final acts with content inevitably being on the cutting room floor. However Owlcat takes it a new level where it just multiple plot threads just completely drop and major plot’s point gets glossed over.

I would want the DLC’s to address these major story points in the main campaign but that would mean it need to be reworked or greatly expanded upon . I highly doubt Owlcat would invest the time to make those changes and not focus on other much easier areas to tackle on in the DLC’ (side stories, ,more sub classes, space combat)

There’s speculation that the reason for the rush release was because of the massive success of BG3 and Owlcat wanted to strike where interest for CRPG’s were at an all time high.

I must stress this is pure speculation but it’s the better theories out there

babayaga

Literate
There’s speculation that the reason for the rush release was because of the massive success of BG3 and Owlcat wanted to strike where interest for CRPG’s were at an all time high.

I must stress this is pure speculation but it’s the better theories out there
What I have heard is that they got spooked by the whole Unity fee per download drama. As of now they are working on some project in Unreal so it might have some truth to it.
Don't have any source for this though.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Well, they fucked the release like they always do. Now they need to try to scrape some trust together by actually finishing the last two chapters of the game. Thing is, it's absolutely absurd they haven't yet, and seems like they have no intention to. Beyond that, they only just recently made an attempt to rebalance their failure of a rule system, which it sounds like they also failed to do too.

There's no excuse for any of this and they are cut entirely too much slack. I was willing to overlook some of the flaws in Kingmaker since it was their first outing, and was patient but annoyed with Wrath, but with this as their third game it's pretty inexcusable. They've lost my trust and much of my goodwill as a former fan.

Well, they fucked the release like they always do. Now they need to try to scrape some trust together by actually finishing the last two chapters of the game. Thing is, it's absolutely absurd they haven't yet, and seems like they have no intention to. Beyond that, they only just recently made an attempt to rebalance their failure of a rule system, which it sounds like they also failed to do too.

There's no excuse for any of this and they are cut entirely too much slack. I was willing to overlook some of the flaws in Kingmaker since it was their first outing, and was patient but annoyed with Wrath, but with this as their third game it's pretty inexcusable. They've lost my trust and much of my goodwill as a former fan.
The would have to do extensive changes to the last two (arguably act 3 as well) acts of the game.

Owlcat usually does small changes based on Pathfinder:WOTR EE which have some more content to mythic paths and other minor changes but nothing to scope of major changes to narrative structure. It’s unfortunate but I understand your frustrations.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Which is exactly why they should have - and need to in the future - reign in the scope of their games. They clearly can't handle it, so instead of stretching out playtime with poorly designed content, condense it all into a 60 hour experience, and make it actually good. When you fatigue your player with excessive hours of gameplay, then make the last third of your game joyless to play, you're completely defeating the purpose of that "epic" experience. That they haven't learned this simple lesson in three entire game dev cycles is mind-blowing.

notpl

Arbiter

It's especially inexcusable when we have devs making amazing open-world RPGs like Hero's Adventure and Wandering Sword that receive free DLC-sized content updates on a quarterly basis after release. Hero's Adventure has released four of them in the eight months since its debut, and they just recently put out their 5th (and largest) update yet, finally charging money for it as a traditional paid DLC.... and it's $4. Wandering Sword took mild fan criticism about the game's second act to heart and their upcoming (free) fall DLC will rework the game's main quest rather than simply pasting in orthogonal game content. Why give money to people who don't respect or value you when there are devs bending over backwards to do quality work for their fans?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Releasing the game in Beta won't help like it won't help WotR with the bugs even when they released Alpha and Beta for backers.

Something is wrong with their development pipeline and QA in general. At best they are lacking in technical expertise which explains how shit their pipeline is. At worst they are reflecting modern "release a broken game and just patch it" mentality.

The fact that they are having 4 parallel projects right now inspire little confidence. RT 100% was developed during WotR period and it shows on how both game suffers from quality in term of bugfix.

Then there is also the fact that 3 games straight they have a "game content quality nose dived in the final chapters" problem.

They really need a competent Director/Project Manager.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Releasing the game in Beta won't help like it won't help WotR with the bugs even when they released Alpha and Beta for backers.

Something is wrong with their development pipeline and QA in general. At best they are lacking in technical expertise which explains how shit their pipeline is. At worst they are reflecting modern "release a broken game and just patch it" mentality.

The fact that they are having 4 parallel projects right now inspire little confidence. RT 100% was developed during WotR period and it shows on how both game suffers from quality in term of bugfix.

Then there is also the fact that 3 games straight they have a "game content quality nose dived in the final chapters" problem.

They really need a competent Director/Project Manager.

No amount of "development pipeline" or time can fix the rotten culture of the studio. The fact that they did a survey for the features that devs want to add for the WOTR DLCs/patches and fixing the Devil path came up in the middle of the list speaks volumes about Owlcat's attitude towards finishing content. Not only that they expect the fans to beg for the Golden Dragon path to be fixed before it would even be considered. It is clear that Owlcat has the same mindset that too many devs have, playing with new toys is more important than fixing broken old toys.

Aarwolf

Learned

It's even wierder - beta for the most part was stable and bugfree, up until the latest patches before the games launch, when it was so broken that it was nearly unplayable. And after the lauch there were parts of the game that worked well in beta, but was broken in 1.0 version.

babayaga

Literate

It's even wierder - beta for the most part was stable and bugfree, up until the latest patches before the games launch, when it was so broken that it was nearly unplayable. And after the lauch there were parts of the game that worked well in beta, but was broken in 1.0 version.
RT had new big patch released recently and immediately after that they had to drop hot fixes for new bugs that the patch introduced.
I'm guessing a severe case of spaghetti code. Add to that the fact that CRPGs have added complexity and you get a recipe for disaster.
Fixing complex messy code must be absolute nightmare. You fix one thing here and break something there in one go.

jungl

Augur
new archetypes are boring. Who wants to swing a hunk of metal in a setting where u have blaster guns and flamethrowers. I change my opinion if owlcat made the animations look cool but nope too much effort and not warhammer appropriate. I been playing path of wuxia and got to hand it Chinese know how to do crpg right there. If want to play 7 8/10 game looks play early access path of wuxia 5/10 6/10 game RELEASED game with now upcoming dlc stick with rogue trader

That's sounds like a good idea. Encouraging studios to go ever bigger. In particular studios that have been on a mission of trumping the LOTR trilogy in terms of size and epicness since their first ever game -- despite being on the schedule and budget for an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess.

I'd personally argue their games would be far better and even if they scaled it all back from the go. But for anybody who's not: I wish thee all the added dungeons you are craving for -- full of the usual Owlcat copypasta end-game grind as they're running out of rubles to fill them with quality. House At The Edge Of Space patch incoming.

new archetypes are boring. Who wants to swing a hunk of metal in a setting where u have blaster guns and flamethrowers. I change my opinion if owlcat made the animations look cool but nope too much effort and not warhammer appropriate. I been playing path of wuxia and got to hand it Chinese know how to do crpg right there. If want to play 7 8/10 game looks play early access path of wuxia 5/10 6/10 game RELEASED game with now upcoming dlc stick with rogue trader

Definitely agree on the archetypes it really feels like it’s more about quantity then quality in WOTR case, but now it’s feels worse in RT because now there is a low amount but the quality ( from what I seen ) doesn’t look like its improved. This especially the case for the animation department from what you mentioned , I swear how many times can these reuse the characters pointing with there hand for the thousand time for every scenario.

Renfri

Cipher
I am 25 hours into my first playthrough and I think game is great (exception is space combat). Setting is cool, characters are nice, combat is pretty nice, perhaps few more combat encounters would be fine. I am mostly happy with my party, but sixth member I struggle with cos Pasqal is great outside of combat, but in combat not that great, although that might be purely my fault. Argenta looks great, I dont think she is that powerful unless she is just doing AoE against easy targets. My other party members are Idira, Cassia, Yrliet and Abelard. I am playing warrior and focused on damage, Abe is tanking. Only bug I've witnessed so far is once dead enemy was standing when I ran back same way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom