Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ArchAngel

Arcane

Shaki

Arbiter
flat dmg from versatility
isnt concentrated fire a multiplier? its not flat
different ability?
Versatility is an Arch-Militant mechanic, it gives infinitely stacking bonuses to WS/BS and + WS/2 or BS/2 flat bonus to damage, this is how you make burst fire do hundreds of dmg per shot

Wait, this still hasn't been patched? Lol
I doubt they're going to patch it any time soon. It's not a bug, just incredibly stupid design decision, and I doubt we'll see any balance changes before they fix actual bugs, which will probably take like a year.
I don't know about you, but it sounds like a bug to me.
The skill description says that when a player uses an attack type DIFFERENT than the previous one, he gets 1 stack. This means that if you get more than one stack it is a bug.
Burst attack should count as one use of the skill, and even if the game counted each bullet fired, each of them would still be of the same type.

uNrKUrx.png
Yes, you get 2 stacks instead of one and game does not force you to do single attacks in the middle of bursts. Still I do not see a way to get to state to do over 200 damage per bullet. After few turns Argenta usually has 25+ stacks and does 30+ damage per bullet with heavy bolter. I can boost it to 50 per bullet with Inspire but not sure how people get to 200+ per bullet and how many turns that takes and how they have not won by then.
With right talents you also get +over9000 critical damage, and reach 100% crit chance super fast, this is how every bullet deals hundreds of dmg. You also heavily undderestimate how much stacks you can get. With abusing burst being broken and adding 2 stacks, you can easily do like 40-50 effective stacks by the end of r1 (remember reckless rush skill DOUBLES your stacks for a turn and costs 0AP with right talent). Even without abusing burst, you should easily be able to do 20-30. Remember there are talents giving you more stacks, and also remember that soldier/arch militant can attack like 5 fucking times per turn, and that also applies to extra turns granted by officer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
different ability?
Versatility is an Arch-Militant mechanic, it gives infinitely stacking bonuses to WS/BS and + WS/2 or BS/2 flat bonus to damage, this is how you make burst fire do hundreds of dmg per shot

I doubt they're going to patch it any time soon. It's not a bug, just incredibly stupid design decision, and I doubt we'll see any balance changes before they fix actual bugs, which will probably take like a year.
The skill description says that when a player uses an attack type DIFFERENT than the previous one, he gets 1 stack. This means that if you get more than one stack it is a bug.
Burst attack should count as one use of the skill, and even if the game counted each bullet fired, each of them would still be of the same type.

uNrKUrx.png
Yes, you get 2 stacks instead of one and game does not force you to do single attacks in the middle of bursts. Still I do not see a way to get to state to do over 200 damage per bullet. After few turns Argenta usually has 25+ stacks and does 30+ damage per bullet with heavy bolter. I can boost it to 50 per bullet with Inspire but not sure how people get to 200+ per bullet and how many turns that takes and how they have not won by then.
With right talents you also get +over9000 critical damage, and reach 100% crit chance super fast, this is how every bullet deals hundreds of dmg. You also heavily undderestimate how much stacks you can get. With abusing burst being broken and adding 2 stacks, you can easily do like 40-50 effective stacks by the end of r1 (remember reckless rush skill DOUBLES your stacks for a turn and costs 0AP with right talent). Even without abusing burst, you should easily be able to do 20-30. Remember there are talents giving you more stacks, and also remember that soldier/arch militant can attack like 5 fucking times per turn, and that also applies to extra turns granted by officer.
My numbers were based on critical hits already.
Base versatility will only give you around +10 to damage (with BS 200 which you need 25+ stacks to achive) which on top of base 5-9 heavy bolter is not enough to get very large numbers. Also you will not get that by end of R1 unless you got two officers and you found a way to farm renown to give Argenta multiple heroic extra turns. But that is not the problem of Argenta but officers.
As I already said these extra turns shit needs to be blocked from giving too many during one round and stuff like Wildfire saying it has 1 round cooldown but then being available on same round because officer gave Argenta extra 2 AP is bullshit.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
different ability?

uNrKUrx.png
Base versatility will only give you around +10 to damage (with BS 200 which you need 25+ stacks to achive) which on top of base 5-9 heavy bolter is not enough to get very large numbers. Also you will not get that by end of R1 unless you got two officers and you found a way to farm renown to give Argenta multiple heroic extra turns. But that is not the problem of Argenta but officers.
As I already said these extra turns shit needs to be blocked from giving too many during one round and stuff like Wildfire saying it has 1 round cooldown but then being available on same round because officer have Argenta extra 2 AP is bullshit.
Don't even need 2 officers, officer get a talent that gets him a free turn at the beginning of battle, so you can use bring it down 2 times during one turn.

Argenta can attack 5 times during one turn.

If using the broken burst, on her last shot in the 1st turn, without using heroic and with only one officer, after reckless rush she will have around 50-60 stacks, + she'll also get BS bonus from revel in slaughter stacks, + flat dmg from other talents like breaking point, exploit weakness, or items like stabilizing bracers, and she'll have like 400%+ critical damage bonus + if you want you can boost it all even further with broken concentrated fire which applies to bursts too. 200 dmg per bullet can be reached in round 1 even without multiple officers or heroics.

But honestly it's kinda irrelevant as even without heavy optimizing and abusing broken shit, even without using any officers at all, this shit would still be doing more than enough damage to be broken OP. Doing 100-200+ dmg per bullet is already a massive overkill mostly done for fun, 50dmg per bullet already breaks the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
different ability?

uNrKUrx.png
As I already said these extra turns shit needs to be blocked from giving too many during one round and stuff like Wildfire saying it has 1 round cooldown but then being available on same round because officer have Argenta extra 2 AP is bullshit.
Don't even need 2 officers, officer get a talent that gets him a free turn at the beginning of battle, so you can use bring it down 2 times during one turn.

Argenta can attack 5 times during one turn.

If using the broken burst, on her last shot in the 1st turn, without using heroic and with only one officer, after reckless rush she will have around 50-60 stacks, + she'll also get BS bonus from revel in slaughter stacks, + flat dmg from other talents like breaking point, exploit weakness, or items like stabilizing bracers, and she'll have like 400%+ critical damage bonus + if you want you can boost it all even further with broken concentrated fire which applies to bursts too. 200 dmg per bullet can be reached in round 1 even without multiple officers or heroics.

But honestly it's kinda irrelevant as even without heavy optimizing and abusing broken shit, even without using any officers at all, this shit would still be doing more than enough damage to be broken OP. Doing 100-200+ dmg per bullet is already a massive overkill mostly done for fun, 50dmg per bullet already breaks the game.
I didn't pick that talent for Cassia so she does not get free action at start.
How did you get to 5 attacks on turn 1?
1 is normal, 2 is Run and Gun and 3 is Wildfire. You do not have access to Arch Militant Heroic yet until end of Turn 1 when others also got to act and collect momentum. And with that Heroic that is also just 4.
Where is 5?

Reckless Rush only works for that one turn, you are not supposed to get more stacks, Revel in slaughter costs 1 AP that you do not really have if you are using 2 AP to shoot bursts all the time. Stabilizing Bracers only gives a tiny bonus to damage, I rather use the one that gives -50% recoil so your burst shots all go into same target.
How did you get to 400% critical damage? 50% is base and versatility is like 2% crit damage per stack, even with 50 after you turned on Reckless it is only 150% bonus (which is how I got to 50 per bullet). You can also get bracers that give +25% crit but then you do not get -50% recoil and shots miss unless target is 4 squares.
Rapid Fire is pretty good once you get all these bonuses up, I like to use that to get 2x damage with burst but I am more interested how you get to 200 damage per bullet.

I would love to see details from combat log that show that 200 number with all bonuses listed and to know which round you did that.

It is not busted in my game since she only starts doing 50 damage per bullet on turn 3 as I do not abuse all this officer shit. They just need to fix officer shit, cooldowns not working and versatility with burst and it will be ok.
Probably Burst itself needs a real penalty. Single shot is too weak in comparison, especially when versatility damage bonuses are not added correctly to single target attacks.. it is incredible that with argenta using holy bolts that give her 100% hit chance with single shot attacks it is still not worth it except to kill ranged dudes far back hiding in cover.

Last edited:

Aarwolf

Learned

The most damage from a single shot in a burst I had with her before I got bored was 850+ plus and yes, it was still in that free turn you mentioned above.

At that point all other people in my party aside from officers buffing her became completely irrelevant, it was Argenta vs. everything.

Shaki

Arbiter
1 is normal, 2 is Run and Gun and 3 is Wildfire. You do not have access to Arch Militant Heroic yet until end of Turn 1 when others also got to act and collect momentum. And with that Heroic that is also just 4.
Where is 5?

Wildfire is probably broken and not only gives you free attack, but it also makes the game forget you already attacked before using it. Also I'm using grenadier talent that gives you a free granade throw every turn which counts as attack.

So you can do for example: normal attack -> run and gun + attack -> granade -> wildfire -> normal attack

Probably could squeeze in 6th attack with some dual wielding shenanigans, but I doubt it's worth it.

Reckless Rush only works for that one turn, you are not supposed to get more stacks, Revel in slaughter costs 1 AP that you do not really have if you are using 2 AP to shoot bursts all the time. Stabilizing Bracers only gives a tiny bonus to hit

Reckless rush only works for your turn, but it costs 0 AP so you can have it up all the time, pretty much always having 2x bigger number of stacks than your real number.

AP IIRC wasn't a problem, yeah I think sometimes you need to give up one of the bursts and do a single attack instead to have enough AP for Revel, and need to decide what's worth more in the specific situation.

Stabilizing bracers give you AGI/2 bonus flat dmg on ranged attacks after using run and gun.

How did you get to 400% critical damage? 50% is base and versatility is like 2% crit damage per stack, even with 50 after you turned on Reckless it is only 150% bonus (which is how I got to 50 per bullet). You can also get bracers that give +25% crit but then you do not get -50% recoil and shots miss unless target is 4 squares.

Versatility alone is 3% per stack, so 150% on 50 stacks, base crit dmg is 50%, Revel gives 25% per stack, Fired Up gives infinitely stacking 1% bonus whenever you deal damage to anyone - this alone brings you above 300% in the first turn easily. and there are many more items and talents in arch militant/soldier giving smaller % bonuses both to overall dmg and crit dmg.

I would love to see details from combat log that show that 200 number with all bonuses listed and to know which round you did that.

I'll open the game and screenshot the log for you when I'm back home, I didn't touch the game since last patch but I don't think it broke anything in the strat

Rhobar121

Scholar
As for Revel in Slaughter, this is another poorly described skill. The only bonus you get for more than 1 stack is BS.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Where is 5?

Wildfire is probably broken and not only gives you free attack, but it also makes the game forget you already attacked before using it. Also I'm using grenadier talent that gives you a free granade throw every turn which counts as attack.

So you can do for example: normal attack -> run and gun + attack -> granade -> wildfire -> normal attack

Probably could squeeze in 6th attack with some dual wielding shenanigans, but I doubt it's worth it.

Reckless Rush only works for that one turn, you are not supposed to get more stacks, Revel in slaughter costs 1 AP that you do not really have if you are using 2 AP to shoot bursts all the time. Stabilizing Bracers only gives a tiny bonus to hit

Reckless rush only works for your turn, but it costs 0 AP so you can have it up all the time, pretty much always having 2x bigger number of stacks than your real number.

AP IIRC wasn't a problem, yeah I think sometimes you need to give up one of the bursts and do a single attack instead to have enough AP for Revel, and need to decide what's worth more in the specific situation.

Stabilizing bracers give you AGI/2 bonus flat dmg on ranged attacks after using run and gun.

Versatility alone is 3% per stack, so 150% on 50 stacks, base crit dmg is 50%, Revel gives 25% per stack, Fired Up gives infinitely stacking 1% bonus whenever you deal damage to anyone - this alone brings you above 300% in the first turn easily. and there are many more items and talents in arch militant/soldier giving smaller % bonuses both to overall dmg and crit dmg.

I'll open the game and screenshot the log for you when I'm back home, I didn't touch the game since last patch but I don't think it broke anything in the strat
It is not just Wildfire, most abilities say Cooldown: 1 round but then go off cooldown on next turn gained by any ability or talent.. also I tried using free grenade to get versatility stack, she would not get it..

How did you get that last normal attack without using Arch Militant heroic action?

From the wording of Reckless you stop gaining new stacks when it is active. As a result I only used it on last turn of combat (usually turn 3) when Argenta is ready to do 50 damage per bullet. For Bracers I did mean damage, I wrote hit by mistake. Half agi bonus is not worth it. I think it gives you 2 or 3 bonus damage at most and only for Run and Gun. -50% recoil or +10 to BS and +25% crit damage is much better.

I forgot Revel but usually I do not have it on round one as Argenta sucks at killing 100+ HP enemies in round 1 until she can get some Versatility stacks and I usually do not get Revel until turn 2. As for Fired Up, I never picked that up as I didn't know critical hits would be so easily achievable with Arch Militant, I assumed that is was for some special critical hit focused build. Also I hope it does not give +1% crit damage per each bullet in a burst?! That would just make Burst even better than single shots which is already bad :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
As for Revel in Slaughter, this is another poorly described skill. The only bonus you get for more than 1 stack is BS.
Probably for the better although soldiers might need that to stack if these other abuses for archmilitant are fixed.

Shaki

Arbiter
Where is 5?

How did you get that last normal attack without using Arch Militant heroic action?
As I said, wildfire makes the game forget you attacked before it. So if you do wildfire free attack -> normal attack you can't attack again, buy if you do normal attack -> Wildfire free attack, then the game lets you do another normal attack after wildfire. Basically using it in the right order, result in wildfire giving you 2 additional attacks, instead of one.

I'm going to be that guy and ask the question that's probably been asked a 1000 times already, but I'm too lazy to read the thread:

How buggy is it? I want to play, but can wait another year or so if the patch cycle is going to make massive improvements.

Shaki

Arbiter
I'm going to be that guy and ask the question that's probably been asked a 1000 times already, but I'm too lazy to read the thread:

How buggy is it? I want to play, but can wait another year or so if the patch cycle is going to make massive improvements.
Very buggy. Main quest is less bugged than Bugfinders and you can actually finish the game this time, but as a tradeoff it has far more combat bugs, most of talents and abilities are bugged in some way. If you're a disgusting storyfag and somehow can't wait to experience more Owlcat writing, then get it, but if you care about combat and want to play actually finished game and not an alpha, then I'd forget about it for like a year.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Just wait. Anything after Chapter 2 are bugged, worse in 4 and 5.

A lot of mechanic/combat bugs

Game balance is VERY off as well (considering this is their own system I assume they gonna do balance patch in the future

ArchAngel

Arcane
Where is 5?

As I said, wildfire makes the game forget you attacked before it. So if you do wildfire free attack -> normal attack you can't attack again, buy if you do normal attack -> Wildfire free attack, then the game lets you do another normal attack after wildfire. Basically using it in the right order, result in wildfire giving you 2 additional attacks, instead of one.
Hmm that would explain why I noticed extra attacks that I could not explain where they came from. So another bug lol
Did you report this one?

Shaki

Arbiter
Where is 5?

Hmm that would explain why I noticed extra attacks that I could not explain where they came from. So another bug lol
Did you report this one?
Yep, probably more than once

Dayyālu

Arcane
View attachment 45016

SPAAAAAACE LEEEESBIAAAAANS

That convo is very amusing: it can degenerate in a race where you want to murder the lesbian xeno-lover but Yrliet has already killed her for the affront. All that's left to talk about is the etiquette about how to properly dispose of degenerate underlings, after all the Eldar should have asked for permission before shooting.

Mass Effect this ain't

(Also, gosh, I fear I got the Inquisitor trying to romance me by not being an asshole. The cringe in the dialogue is palpable.).

Game balance is VERY off as well (considering this is their own system I assume they gonna do balance patch in the future

I would love to know who designed this and why. It's not that the system doesn't work or it isn't at times fun, but the entirety of the design is so fucking weird. It's like an AI designed a sci-fi system partly based on Dark Heresy and with all the obtuse from paizo.

Weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom