Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

ArchAngel

Arcane
LoL here is a good example and simple one about how pointless most talents are.

VMXQpRU.png

It translates in reality of 6% more accuracy...maybe.
It translates into 12 more ballistics skill, it maybe goes up more when you buff your BS with flat bonuses. So at least you get 12% more accuracy that turns into more critical hit chance if your hit chance goes over 100%.
Also it is a bad example since this one is very simple passive bonus that is always applied.

Only +6 BS. It adds 2xWS to BS and vice versa.
Yes you are right, I am blind. I read it wrong. I guess this one wants you to balance out both weapon skills and be good at both.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If killing 90% of things in 1 turn and the rest in 2 is considered HP bloat, everything is HP bloat
Grunker: My build was shit.
Also Grunker: I killed 90% of things in 2 turns.
:hmmm:

Also seeing a lot of those screenshots, I feel like no one at owlcat understands d100, or at least the variant of it used in the ttrpg.

Hellion

Arcane
Looks like I got my first showstopper.

There's a mandatory event that triggers at some point while exploring optional star systems and every single time I attempted it I got the same softlock of the game when Cassia enters the scene.
There's a cutscene that does nothing (her character model just stands there without doing anything) and if I skip it pressing Enter I get a black screen and the game doesn't work anymore.

That's the bug I encountered in Chapter 5 in a similar cutscene, that prevented me from proceeding with the main storyline. It can be bypassed if you install ToyBox Cheat Engine and dig around the quest's triggers. Or you can just ignore the quest for now since it's optional.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If killing 90% of things in 1 turn and the rest in 2 is considered HP bloat, everything is HP bloat
Grunker: My build was shit.
Also Grunker: I killed 90% of things in 2 turns.

Exactly - thus, the notion of hp bloat is nonsense.

My build obviously wasn’t “shit,” I was able to beat unfair on double damage, but a natural attacker without mount, pounce, reach and scaling 0.5 str modifier to damage on most attacks is obviously hilariously suboptimal on the hardest diff, underlining how any talk of hp bloat makes no sense. If monsters didn’t have the HP they do they would fall over instantly to even bad builds.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a way to change class ? I found the respec chap on the ship but didn't saw a way to change class. Also i did take such buffs on the officer class but i didn't notice a translation in to anything better,so just ignore at this point most buffs. Maybe they are bugged or something. The main problem i have noticed is that most of them use an X skill bonus,which means for every 10 points you get one point. Which means that you give like 10ish points of a buff at best. So i end up just using a bonus turn command and a snipe shot.
[/QUOTE]

One of the loading screen tips states you can change class, I have not seen it either though.

-edit-
i guess you thought that i meant that abeltard is required?
nah, he is just a placeholder, the idea is that the line is 1 tile "thick" on some diagonals, and the question is how the game implements those ballistics
and it seems that it will push all shots through that isolated tile only if the 4 adjacent on the long sides are empty

I am not sure I understand you correctly. In a 16 round burst (Heavy bolter) of course some will miss but positioned right you can hit 5-6 Targest (and kill them, depending on buffs) in one burst. The spray does not seem to overly diverge in my end, don't try to snipe get in close and personal with a burst weapon.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does the heretic path provide a good evil mastermind experience later on or is it another psychopath path? Do your dogmatic companions end up turning against you when they find out?
One of my issue with the heretic choices so far is that most imply you do that openly in front of a Sister of Battle and an interogator. That sounds very stupid, and counter productive.
They could just have made the chaotic option more subtle through text without changing anything. (ie, you wait for the others to be distracted before doing something obviously chaotic or something like that...).

I am not a big fan of difficulty settings that alter the combat rules, and the skill check rules even more so. What would be a good alternative difficulty setting?
I was thinking about altering the momentum gain, enemy skills % and WP.

I tried the game on Steam Deck, but found no way to loot corpses on the ground. How can you do that?

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there a way to change class ?
Unfortunately not. The Homeworld, Origin and Archetype choices are baked in, all you can respec are the talent choices within the Archetype you chose.

I found the prologue and first parts of Act 1 brisk enough that a re-roll or two to tweak those early choices to perfection isn't too painful. (IOW, the pace of you getting character-defining level-ups early on is so frequent that you can get a feel for a character/combo quite quickly.)

Parabalus

Arcane
"y i can't pew-pew when martials can?!"
Nope. If you hated bloat in WoTR, in this game,is even more bloated. In daring difficulty, in chapter 4, most peasants that I face have more hp than the act 1 chaos space marine.

As I've said, I will wait till a modder fixes the psyker powers in this game to re play this game.
What's wrong with psyker powers?

Hellion

Arcane
According to a dev posting on Steam:

Patch with over 300 changes and fixes is expected by Thursday-Friday.

It will contain some highly anticipated fixes, such as dlc sharing in coop, 0 text size and 0 camera rotation speed bug, and many others. We're closely monitoring all social networks for issues and processed hundreds of bug reports over the weekend.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"y i can't pew-pew when martials can?!"
Nope. If you hated bloat in WoTR, in this game,is even more bloated. In daring difficulty, in chapter 4, most peasants that I face have more hp than the act 1 chaos space marine.

As I've said, I will wait till a modder fixes the psyker powers in this game to re play this game.
One of the issues is that a sanctionned psyker starts with a Psy rating of 0 (compared to 1 for an unsanctionned one); which makes all the scaling much worse.
That said, the 5% chance to trigger eldritch horror on each cast of an unsanctionned psyker is no joke...

It feels like Psyker would have been a more useful origin than commissar for my officer melee build actually. The sanctic line has an ability that scale with momentum powers used, which could potentially turn said psyker into something more useful than my commissar barking order and lagging behind everyone..

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL the levelling is really shit in this game. It is forced multy classing with endless amount of idiotic talents that all situation based. Was hoping for being able to pick talents from the officer tree when i got in to the second class,but sadly now i am forced in to levelling another worthless class. Also the types of classes are pretty retarded. Some companions should have had a unique class that allows them to chose between say two more,now they have three nonsensical ones. Like the fucking psycher,getting all range and combat classes and now mage one,same with the techno mage. The tactician and grand strategy ones seem pretty useless for now. The arch militant seems pretty nice.

Also the balance is off and feels like shit. Every peasant have like 150 hp and does double damage compared to my "top" of the line weapons lol. Really do hate battles where i have allies,those idiots just empty their guns in me back lol.

Grand strategist is kinda ass. The buffs aren't bad but you would need to stand in place which is all kinds of retarted. The Areas he can spawn also lead to visual bugs, so be forewarned.

Tactician though is monstrous, with inspire a tactician can stacl damage buffs, every round, on another character, which translates to ridiculous damage numbers on burst weapons.
Is there a way to change class ? I found the respec chap on the ship but didn't saw a way to change class. Also i did take such buffs on the officer class but i didn't notice a translation in to anything better,so just ignore at this point most buffs. Maybe they are bugged or something. The main problem i have noticed is that most of them use an X skill bonus,which means for every 10 points you get one point. Which means that you give like 10ish points of a buff at best. So i end up just using a bonus turn command and a snipe shot.
Stats can get way higher than 100. Archmilitants, the class you mentioned earlier, will generally be wading through combat with 130+ effective WS/BS, and every little bit helps when using a high recoil weapon. The recoil value directly subtracts from your effective ballistics still, so with 100 BS argenta's starting bolter functions as though you only have 60, for example. To get 100% hit chance with a burst you'd need 140 effective ballistics skill
I have no problem with hitting lol,me problem is with how weak the bolter rifle is. In the lore it is something very powerful,here it does less damage than some random thug with a shotgun. The game is a mess,also made only for authists.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes you are right, I am blind. I read it wrong. I guess this one wants you to balance out both weapon skills and be good at both.
That's basically the entire gist of the Arch-militant.
"Combat versatility" is the defining trait, after all.
Which is bad for someone like the battle sister. It does wonders with the seneschal,the dude just have like 5 melee attacks per turn with it. Now got him the dual wilding thing.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The first chaos marine you fight is pretty anti climatic. I was expecting an unstoppable killing machine, that you were forced to fight a delaying action against while you waited for evacuation, with a cool cut scene in the end (it was a pretty big boss and quest line leading up to it)... But no, drops dead easily enough, get into shuttle, done.

This is not WH40K

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
(Chaos)Spehs marines being basically fodder in games versus uber rare, valuable and powerful superwarriors in lore is the constant that won't go away.

ArchAngel

Arcane
According to a dev posting on Steam:

Patch with over 300 changes and fixes is expected by Thursday-Friday.

It will contain some highly anticipated fixes, such as dlc sharing in coop, 0 text size and 0 camera rotation speed bug, and many others. We're closely monitoring all social networks for issues and processed hundreds of bug reports over the weekend.
That sounds like a Kingmaker patch instead of Wrathfinder one.. seems Owlcat is regressing instead of improving :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
(Chaos)Spehs marines being basically fodder in games versus uber rare, valuable and powerful superwarriors in lore is the constant that won't go away.
They are not fodder vs standard guardsman and basic Tyranids, Necrons or Orks. But they do get murdered if you use smart tactics or just overwhelm them.
And there are Primaris SM that are bigger but stupider and as result die even more often.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Tanith 1st take down a Chaos Space Marine relatively easily in one of the first books (easily in the sense that the narrative doesn't seem to consider the takedown a massive deal). I haven't read a lot of WH40K but my impression from reading three Gaunts Ghosts novels wasn't exactly that Chaos marines were like unstoppable, unkillable doom monsters. More like walking tanks - definitely killable even by regular soldiers but not without considerable effort and heavy weapons (the Tanith use a rocket launcher).

Seeing the kind of specialized people the rogue trader has on call - like the Battle Sister - defeating a Chaos marine doesn't seem out of the question?

janior

Arcane
Patron
not sure if any of you got to the turn 2 of that fight but he did turn around after his initial turn and went to destroy shuttles instead of fighting the player party, that was probably the intention behind this fight - damage per turn check(too bad he dies in one turn, that will likely to change in future patches)

ArchAngel

Arcane
not sure if any of you got to the turn 2 of that fight but he did turn around after his initial turn and went to destroy shuttles instead of fighting the player party, that was probably the intention behind this fight - damage per turn check(too bad he dies in one turn, that will likely to change in future patches)
I have yet to do the fight but some people fought him at lvl 13 and got destroyed.

Aarwolf

Learned
good lord, ASS WHERE?
50iUfEN.png

gov0L3h.png

It amuses me, when westerners are offended by seeing women that are not a size of a whale.

Bit of a downer coming out of Act 1 and into a very samey environment in the port town at the start of Act 2. When I envisioned this, I envisioned my character taming exotic planets with exostic monsters and alien creatures, exploiting their resources, etc., but so far it's been bloody cultists, rebels and gangsters with the occasional (very cool) eldritch horror.

Do the environments and mob types get more varied later on?

Yes, they are more varied, take a look at Janus for example:

world_shapers-main-quest-rogue-trader-wiki-guide-600px-2-1.jpg

bridge-cliff-world_shapers-main-quest-rogue-trader-wiki-guide-600px-2-4.jpg

Rt_131.jpg

There are some local feral beasts, space elves and rebels to shoot at, and then some cultists.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

What is not wrong?

• No Telekinesis
  • Every fire from every gun has a visual effect molten beam lacks any visual effect
  • Telepath lacks any control over other people's mind, control in P&P is like dominate person in D&D, in game is a minor moving debuff
  • Biomancer lacks any offensive skill like bio-lightning and blood boil, a power whcih can make enemy hearts and brains explode
  • Regeneration can't regen injuries, in P&P can even regrow lost limbs
  • Fire storm just spreads dot, is not a firestorm
  • NO persistent powers like fire wall, force fields and so on
  • Flamers will gonna outdps you many times in early game
  • If you wanna use siphon life, you must have a staff equipped
  • The gameplay is all about combing ultra undepowered powers with 654165161864 stacks of debuff to kill enemies
  • Psy powers fells more like D&D 4e spells
  • (...)
When someone mods proper Telekinesis in the game I will play. Imagine Catching projectiles mid air matrix style, Creating a bolt of raw force, Creating a barrage of force bolt, A force telekinetic blade that can cut everything like cloth, Chocking enemies Darth Vader style, Creating force fields
and levitating stuff with your mind. That is what I wanna.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man do people also bitch when you play IG and kick some Chaos ass in Dawn of War or something?

This fixation os MUH SPESH MAHREEN NEED TO BE INVINCIBLE is retarded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom