Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids

Caim

Arcane
Played this for 30 minutes yesterday. I didn't play part one and for some reason I expected an actual shooter. Instead, I got the usual souls-slop gameplay with slow animations, paper armor and clunky controls. I hate souls-slop, so this isn't for me. It also makes my wonder why an ultramarine dies so quickly and how exactly he does dodge rolls with that super thick armor.
Wtf makes this soulslike? It's a combination of Gears and God of War ffs.
Third person action game where you swing your sword at monsters, and also he sucks at it.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Wtf makes this soulslike? It's a combination of Gears and God of War ffs.
Third person action game where you swing your sword at monsters, and also he sucks at it.
  • long winded animations
  • no reaction to input during these animations
  • focus on dodge / block
  • high damage enemies which can kill you very quickly
This is nothing like either God of War or Gears of Wars. God of War is a traditional hack and slash while Gears is actually focussed on shooting and on staying in cover. Both are significanly more reactive to your input and are much more forgiving.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
So yeah he just sucks. Game isn't all that difficult. If I have a major complaint it's that the parry doesn't feel as satisfying as it should. Stellar Blade had an infinitely better parry mechanic. This also feels more button mashy. The shooting feels really fucking good tho, they nailed that.

Shooting = awesome

Melee = pretty meh

Kind of the opposite of Stellar Blade. SB had amazing melee combat but the shooting was shit.

ColonelMace

Educated
God of War is a traditional hack and slash
200w.gif

ColonelMace

Educated
I just learnt that anglophones refer to certain beat'em up as hack n slashers.
The more you know.

That's still heresy to add the traditional epithet there.

randir14

Augur

The Steam forum is useless, nothing but "this game needs female/gay Space Marines" bait threads and the autistic retards who fall for it. Can't have any real discussion about the game without it getting buried under the avalanche of that shit.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

The Steam forum is useless, nothing but "this game needs female/gay Space Marines" bait threads and the autistic retards who fall for it. Can't have any real discussion about the game without it getting buried under the avalanche of that shit.

There was one bait thread in the Concord forum where the OP later outright posted there that it was bait and the tards were still posting seriously in response. These bait threads are like playing a game on very easy/game journo difficulty and with cheat codes enabled.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
long winded animations
not something exclusive of souls inspired hack 'n' slashes
no reaction to input during these animations
you mean "animation cancelling" or "high attack commitement"
has existed since 3D hack 'n' slash games became a thing
focus on dodge / block
high damage enemies which can kill you very quickly
also not exclusive to "souls-likes"
shit, aside from the first point, Ninja Gaiden's combat has all these characteristics and that game's melee combat is as far from Soulslop as you can get

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
long winded animations
not something exclusive of souls inspired hack 'n' slashes
no reaction to input during these animations
you mean "animation cancelling" or "high attack commitement"
has existed since 3D hack 'n' slash games became a thing
focus on dodge / block
high damage enemies which can kill you very quickly
also not exclusive to "souls-likes"
shit, aside from the first point, Ninja Gaiden's combat has all these characteristics and that game's melee combat is as far from Soulslop as you can get
So what's your point? Do you disagree that Space Marine 2 is souls-slop? If you want to experience the difference between a hack and slash and souls-slop just contrast Darksiders with Darksiders 3.

Last edited:

Borelli

Arcane
No level ups, no stamina management, no checkpoint system, not a Souls-like in any way. While it's not a God of War clone either, finishing moves and light/heavy attacks makes it closer to God of War than anything else.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I like this game more the more I play it. Hell it might even get me into the Warhammer universe. Always knew it was a thing but never gave many fucks about it.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No level ups, no stamina management, no checkpoint system, not a Souls-like in any way. While it's not a God of War clone either, finishing moves and light/heavy attacks makes it closer to God of War than anything else.
It's Gears of War without cover.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Which is incline. I always thought the weakest thing about cover shooters was the cover mechanic. Vanquish had a cover mechanic but it was sort of a joke. You rarely needed to use it if you knew what you were doin.

It's Gears of War, but YOU are the cover.

Anyway, it was a very nice 10 hour campaign. I still have to play the Ops mode, but I'm having a blast with the PvP.

Games media is speed running their irrelevance this year with trying to take down games people like while sucking off games like Concord.

It seems like most people over on ResetEra are enjoying it, or at least the people in the thread about the game. Someone did drop into the thread to bring up the info about the CEO leaving a positive message on an Asmongold video about the game, but the thread largely just ignored the person. They do have a closed thread of people bitching about the CEO though.

It is funny that there’s people there that are like: Why would someone leave a positive comment on an Asmongold video, don’t they know he’s bad? The video in question has 1.4 million views. It seems to be one of the most viewed videos on YouTube for the game, and the video will likely help sell the game. It is a mystery why someone selling a thing might leave a comment that could maybe help them sell said thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom