Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Sykar

Arcane
I always use a savegame editor to correct dumb shit like that. In some cases I also do major rebuilds because some characters do not have the skills they claim they have when you recruit them, like Pizepi. Others are majorly improved if you just tweak attributes a little, like Ralphy. Taking away a point of luck and charisma and adding to speed and iirc coordination means he is a lot better without losing his intented RPG identity.
I also fix Roses hair for example, it bugs me that she has a blond bob when her portrait shows her long black hair. Lack of attention to detail like this annoy me and inXile could have easily fixed this with the DC. I mean they made sure that Rose has her robot arm so why not have her the correct hair, hell maybe even the glasses? Is that really too much to ask?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always use a savegame editor to correct dumb shit like that. In some cases I also do major rebuilds because some characters do not have the skills they claim they have when you recruit them, like Pizepi. Others are majorly improved if you just tweak attributes a little, like Ralphy. Taking away a point of luck and charisma and adding to speed and iirc coordination means he is a lot better without losing his intented RPG identity.
I also fix Roses hair for example, it bugs me that she has a blond bob when her portrait shows her long black hair. Lack of attention to detail like this annoy me and inXile could have easily fixed this with the DC. I mean they made sure that Rose has her robot arm so why not have her the correct hair, hell maybe even the glasses? Is that really too much to ask?

Yeah I use both WL2 savegame editors extensively to fiddle around with things, one of them's compact and easy to use just to bump skills up and down, the other one's more extensive and has more options, like a big gun that you don't want to bring out too often. If you know how you get sp, how much sp per INT per level, t's quite nice to be able to nip and tuck things and switch them around to see what works. I mean, you usually end up with something like what you started with, but the journey is interesting.

I think all CRPGs are better for having editors and tweaking stuff (like the ones for PFK and WOTR). Not the first time you play though - I always play through at least a fair chunk of the game as the developers intended at least once, just to respect their work. But then being able to mould things to taste enhances subsequent playthroughs - there are always QOL niggles for me in CRPGs in their raw form.

I gather WL2 had its problems at launch, but certainly the DC is a classic CRPG imho. (I'm in the final stretch now, at Mathias' place - Hollywood was a blast.)

I've gone back down to Ranger just to speed things up a bit, now that I've got a sense of proper tactics from playing Jerk. I'm keen to play WL3 again to compare back to back.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It is hard to compare Wasteland 3 combat when I tossed turrets and robots down like a madman and ran people over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I gather WL2 had its problems at launch, but certainly the DC is a classic CRPG imho.

I hated W2 on launch but DC is one of the greats.

I have a theory most people that still hate the game never played DC. Let's test it out shall we?

Yeah the DC is a great RPG, been saying that for years.

This post has been shat on by three people - catfood, jackofshadows and orcinator. Have you played the DC boys? Also, you wouldn't lie on Codex would you?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I gather WL2 had its problems at launch, but certainly the DC is a classic CRPG imho.

I have a theory most people that still hate the game never played DC. Let's test it out shall we?

This post has been shat on by three people - catfood, jackofshadows and orcinator. Have you played the DC boys? Also, you wouldn't lie on Codex would you?

In my experience at NMA a ton of people bought W2 at launch but never played DC. I was one of them until some time back. Now I get it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When I first played Wasteland 2, back in the days when it was first released, it bugged out on me around the Rail Nomads. It took me some years to trust that the DC version fixed all those bugs. But when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised and completed a pretty good game.

I only played DC and I liked it. The dilemma of playing a game at launch and having a subpar experience, but participating in discussions or playing a game year or more after release and having the best experience, but not people to discuss with, is annoying.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I only played DC and I liked it. The dilemma of playing a game at launch and having a subpar experience, but participating in discussions or playing a game year or more after release and having the best experience, but not people to discuss with, is annoying.

Wasteland 2 is the game that taught me that lesson. It's why I do not buy so many big name RPG's at release since 2012 or so.

Last edited:
Another problem with Wasteland was that expectations were too high. We hoped to get a game that surpassed Fallout with all good elements the genre has produced since taken from all most prominent games. No wonder game haven't lived up to hype.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That is the main issue right there because Wasteland 2 loot is more like Wasteland than Fallout and people HATED that. It's not Fallout guys. Even I wanted it to be like Tactics a little with a prone mode but there would have been no point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another problem with Wasteland was that expectations were too high. We hoped to get a game that surpassed Fallout with all good elements the genre has produced since taken from all most prominent games. No wonder game haven't lived up to hype.

Also I replayed F1/2 like two years before playing W2DC and I had more fun with the latter. For me W2 was everything I've ever wanted from an actual Fallout 3.

EDIT: Except for the retarded percentage-based skill checks, thank god they got rid of them in W3. Goddamn this mechanics is fucking awful.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Wasteland 3 even added stealth and other stuff so the Wasteland series is actually pretty fucking awesome and not yet Declined. People whined about the Remaster but it is fine.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
WL3 is definitely fun too, especially because it has more toys, and the Strike thing is quite well done - but I have to say that WL2 is more absorbing to me as an RPG proper, because it feels more "serious." WL3 is a bit too jokey in tone for my tastes, or rather the tone feels inconsistent.

WL2 has jokes (like discovering a shrine that says "I wish they'd used the Unreal Engine"), but when it comes to the story it's pretty serious and grimdark most of the time; one feels like one is clawing one's way through difficult choices in a harsh world, and building a good reputation for the Rangers through it all. It feels like more of a piece, more of a virtual world. The art design is also consistently "realistic" and feels more carefully designed to have an effect, right down to the grimy patina and the courier font of the UI, whereas the art design in WL3 is all over the place and it has that generic modern consol-ey UI look (in fact it's more consol-ey throughout).

I dunno, it's swings and roundabouts, and I do like both, but I think I prefer WL2 DC as a post-apocalyptic CRPG, whereas WL3 veers more towards a tactical game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
WL3 is definitely fun too, especially because it has more toys, and the Strike thing is quite well done - but I have to say that WL2 is more absorbing to me as an RPG proper, because it feels more "serious." WL3 is a bit too jokey in tone for my tastes, or rather the tone feels inconsistent.

WL2 has jokes (like discovering a shrine that says "I wish they'd used the Unreal Engine"), but when it comes to the story it's pretty serious and grimdark most of the time; one feels like one is clawing one's way through difficult choices in a harsh world, and building a good reputation for the Rangers through it all. It feels like more of a piece, more of a virtual world. The art design is also consistently "realistic" and feels more carefully designed to have an effect, right down to the grimy patina and the courier font of the UI, whereas the art design in WL3 is all over the place and it has that generic modern consol-ey UI look (in fact it's more consol-ey throughout).

I dunno, it's swings and roundabouts, and I do like both, but I think I prefer WL2 DC as a post-apocalyptic CRPG, whereas WL3 veers more towards a tactical game.

Wasteland 2 is post-apocalyptic, because Arizona and California are still a mess after the great war.

Wasteland 3 is post-post-apocalyptic, like Fallout: New Vegas. The society is rebuilding after the end of the world. New communities appear, larger than a single village or town. Patriarch's Kolorado is a vast state, not unlike NCR, although it has shorter history and less stable political system, built around a single ruler. It's probably the reason for the change of tone.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Wasteland 2 is post-apocalyptic, because Arizona and California are still a mess after the great war.

Wasteland 3 is post-post-apocalyptic, like Fallout: New Vegas. The society is rebuilding after the end of the world. New communities appear, larger than a single village or town. Patriarch's Kolorado is a vast state, not unlike NCR, although it has shorter history and less stable political system, built around a single ruler. It's probably the reason for the change of tone.

Yeah that's true, things are definitely more organized in the world of WL3, it's rebuilding, class hierarchy is reasserting itself, etc. But that is I think why the tone of WL2 has a more visceral sense of struggle and conflict about it - the Rangers are going around laying the law and order groundwork for the rebuilding, they have a purpose and a job.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How are energy weapons in Wasteland 3? I found energy weapons in both versions of Wasteland 2 to be underwhelming, especially once you get to arizona and enemies start packing power armor levels of armor rating without counting as conductive for the energy weapon bonus to make a difference.

jackofshadows

Magister

aGjKeJa.png
It wasn't bad but it was fucking far from "great". Prior to that I've played EA and then did a run of the base game. And then DC. It was a challenge which is the only truly good thing I can say about that experience. Even though my memory is foggy I can recall that the mechanices felt too janky as the game as a whole, obviously. And it applies to some of the DC's new stuff like the dolls? Not to mention that DC couldn't fix the uncoherent nature (2 states) of the game and the excessive ugliness.

Last edited:
One of the game main problems are wild differences in quality of locations. We have a lot of mediocre to bad ones (Rail Nomads, Prison) and a few which are great like Rodia. Best places are closer to endgame, worst are in the beginning. This both scares new players away, and deicentivizes replaying the game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I actually found California to be the weaker part of the game, imo.
The area doesn't feel finished or balanced all that well to me.

I think the locations are more generic in California - mostly just towns with streets - whereas in Arizona there are more varied locations. But they obviously paid a lot of attention to keeping the development of the story and questing quality consistent through to the end. There are a few obvious "we ran out of money" bits here and there (like perfunctory quote bubble responses to some of the quest completions), but the general quality of the questing and story development remains pretty good through to the end (not something you can say for most games, which are heavily front-loaded).

I dunno, I'm sensible of the criticisms of the game, but at the end of the day, WL2 DC, for all its jank, gives me that thing that only good RPGs can do - makes me forget I'm playing a videogame, and fools part of my brain into feeling like I'm another person in another world.

WL3 on the other hand - you always feel like you're just playing a (pretty decent) videogame.

orcinator

Liturgist

Nah but it became apparently very early on that DC changes nothing of importance.
I mean does DC fix the retarded stat and skill system, makes the combat anything other that a repetitive gunline simulator against trash mobs, and makes the quests anything other than "generic CRPG quest where you can fetch item x/kill enemy y or pass skill check to avoid doing so" that also offer 0 consequences?

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
How are energy weapons in Wasteland 3? I found energy weapons in both versions of Wasteland 2 to be underwhelming, especially once you get to arizona and enemies start packing power armor levels of armor rating without counting as conductive for the energy weapon bonus to make a difference.

For Wasteland 2 I recommend using this mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/wasteland2/mods/64

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom