Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Sep 19, 2014.

1. sebas Scholar

sebas
    Strap Yourselves In
    The last thing you wanna look for in this game is gameplay balance. There just isn't any. Yeah DC improved some of the launch flaws but keep in mind the bar then was running without any armor on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Also remember the game is designed for "failing forward". You're not supposed to save every person and succeed at every 12% skill check. "Hooray the Rangers solved every problem again good job scummer" is one way to play, but not the only way. Let the guy die and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. CootKeeper Educated

CootKeeper
    Well I wouldn't say that armor is completely useless. When you wear light armor and spend 4 skill points in weaponsmithing, you can gain the tinkerer perk which gives you +1AP. My four girl rangers now sport that perk.

^ Top  
  4. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Yeah I get that impression, I don't mind "scripted failure" as a plot advancer necessarily but when you put that behind skill checks you ask yourself "wait was I expected to have a high enough Surgeon/Outdoorsman/whatever skill by now to do this?" After god knows how many games I've played where the devs had clear ideas about what you should and shouldn't have by a certain point you start double-guessing yourself.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Yep, I completely understand. They really made an effort to make failure okay here, and there's lots of hilarious scripted stuff for when you fuck up, that 99% of players will never see because we're all so conditioned. Be part of the elite!

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Actually wonder if it wouldn't be a better design choice to hide all skillcheck %s - would discourage scumming. Maybe characters with Perception could say "yeah this looks like a long shot/sure thing" but you attach numbers to something and it starts swinging more towards powergaming and less towards roleplay.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  7. Background Character Arbiter

Background Character
    I don't think that would discourage savescumming though

^ Top  
  8. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I mean, those kinds of people tend to find ways regardless of what you throw at them, so point taken.

^ Top  
  9. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Yeah. I think a few games are blindly groping towards new ways of resolving conflicts. Disco Elysium obviously is trying for something like this too, although it also shows you the numbers. As long as the results are signposted as "win/lose" it will be hard to get players to let go of "winning". I'd like to see the signposting more skewed towards "something interesting happens" or "something else interesting happens", but it's hard to visualize what that would look like when the character is clearly trying to pass instead of fail at something.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Just take Deus Ex Human Revolution personality vs tone system and have a speech skill modifying them, a mob boss might not like being treated with the agressive tone and that is an automatic failure for most characters but if you have high speech, you can successfuly threat him but was that a good idea? There were other options, some that even didnt require much or no speech at all to achieve the same "peaceful" solution, speech checks only are a problem on lazy binary win/lose systems that even hand to you an imediate win/lose result, that is just inviting a reload.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Good thing W3 got rid of those ridiculous random skillcheck chances.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. sebas Scholar

sebas
    Strap Yourselves In
    Definitely agree here. I can only really remember one truly shitass skill check that you kinda just get lured into (the zeolite safe).

^ Top  
  13. sebas Scholar

sebas
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yep, but that's in DC. At launch all armor was useless past Damonta. Hell, in DC you could even make an untouchable 15 Armor dude that just sits there and can't get hurt by anything but EWs.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    So now that I've upgraded some of my weapons, most notably my sniper's main weapon...

Oh my god.

The damage output is utterly obscene. I think I saw the sniper roll a 109 damage crit. That's about twice the CON the strongest enemies I see have (non-boss enemies anyway).

I kind of hope W2DC has some good curveballs to throw at me or this is going to start getting very easy.

(Maybe I should play this on Ranger difficulty. Dunno, we'll see how it starts looking after I get out of Arizona.)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wizfall Cipher

Wizfall
    I liked W2 a lot, solid character system (despite skills redundancy but hard task with a 7 characters party) ,enjoyable combat, good/writing (even if a bit too wacky for my taste).
    But this "rotating" camera is truly exhausting, a few time i kinda though i get somewhat use to it but each time i relaunch the game to continue it's the same pain in the ass.
    Could not stand it anymore and dropped the game because of it.
    I'm often tempted to restart the game but the perspective to have to manage this garbage camera discourage me too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    As far as the skills/stats system go I really have only personal quibbles with CLASSIC (or any other really) because at the end of the day it isn't my system and it's certainly not the worst I've used. I don't think the separation of Field Medic and Surgeon as entirely separate skills is necessarily worthwhile (same with Fallout's First Aid and Doctor, really), and the kind of system I'd personally create would have a "generalized skills" field (say, Medicine or Mechanical or Firearms or Melee) with sub-fields for increased specialization - the general field would indicate an overall familiarity with most of the basics surrounding that skillset and would be a kind of baseline for all sub-fields. I never really liked Luck as a quantifiable stat, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not the worst? Really?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Shitty Kitty Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I've seen some pretty garbage systems (mostly homebrew or amateur stuff) that just make no sense. I'm deliberately excluding systems designed to be piss-takes on the idea of stat/skill systems.

^ Top  
  19. sigard Learned

sigard
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. sebas Scholar

sebas
    Strap Yourselves In
    That's because the game, at launch, looked like an absolute turd. Well it had a lot of other issues as well but I can't stress just how fucking ugly the portraits and models were.

Nowadays the DC version is quite a good game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Boomer_007 Novice

Boomer_007
    Why so many old cars and other assets have wrong scale? Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes my party looks like children around them. Why soviet cars in Arizona and soviet concrete fences? This is the cheapest models in Unity-store? Sometimes this fences also stretched, with incorrect stretched textures. Why NPC models and portraits so random? I saw a vendor with completely different from each other model, portrait and text description of his look.

This (non-)art-direction is insulting. I love first Wasteland, but this game feels like developers didn't care at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    yea it all looks like it was picked from random unity assets made by different people. It just has that look to it

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Boomer_007 Novice

Boomer_007
    This is horrible. Especially Moskvitch cars and classic blue GAZ trucks, like ripped straight out from Stalker or HL2. It's so immersion breaker for me, because I recognized that immediately. I'm seeing those cars every time, when I'm visiting my hometown, and this is not Arizona or USA at all. This is the center of Ukraine.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.