Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Diablo169

Arcane
I wonder if any of the big youtubers (IE Totalbiscuit) are gonna cover it at release.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
having pretty fun so far but there are too damn many explosives attached to crates.
and the highpool elevator is a snoozefest.

highpool issue (edited)
couldn't find enough quests to complete to get a vote going in highpool. what gives

EDIT: nevermind, I guess going after the wrecking crew could be one quest

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
couldn't find enough quests to complete to get a vote going in highpool. what gives

Did you help the Doctor with his patients?

I believe in release version you don't need to resolve ALL quests tied to the vote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/258984/Wasteland 2's Brian Fargo: "We all want respect"/

inXile CEO Brian Fargo has discussed the problems with working under a publisher, explaining how frustrating it was in comparison to the crowd-funding route of Kickstarter.

Speaking about the release of Wasteland 2 in the latest issue of our print magazine out next Monday, Fargo explained how doing development work for publishers in the past "was a disaster", and ultimately developers "paid for [publisher] sins."

"We all want respect," he stated when we asked about the positive response from gamers he received first-hand when he began the Kickstarter campaign for Wasteland 2, and discussed the time when on release of his 1985 title Bard's Tale, his publisher went bankrupt.

"So we go on, I try and do some development work for some publishers, and as is well noted, it was a disaster. And what you discovered through it - and this is not just with me - but my fellow developers, is that you pay for their sins. That's what is frustrating. For example, this didn't happen to me, but, if they put out a buggy product, you take the hit. Even though they do QA. So I was taking these hits for things which I had zero control over."

Kickstarter, he says, "got me back in control of myself...I completely jettisoned that concept of working with publishers again."

The CEO calls the successful Kickstarter campaign "the high water mark" of his career ("I was practically teary-eyed when we funded, when we made it") and that the funding structure allowed the team to pour all their resources into Wasteland 2 rather than worry about the future.

"In contrast to other ways you may be developing through outside sources, whether from a publisher or from an investor, they want results. They want milestones. You have to prove yourself constantly along the way that you know what you're doing.

We spent 30, 35% of our energy trying to get paid or proving we knew what we're doing. And then you spend 30% of my energy going "what are we going to do next?" If I don't have the next project lined up, everybody doesn't have a job. So you got this much time to spend this much time on the game: that's the reality. With crowd funding, here's the money up front. "We trust you". So I spend 95% of all my energy just thinking about how to make the game better."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Guise unfortunately the GFX were not good enough - 80 it is.

I think Swen has it right - if you want gud reviews(tm) polish ur gfx and ui!!!!111

Starwars

Arcane
I haven't played the beta at all so I didn't know much about what to expect. But the immediate first impressions are not too god unfortunately (I guess it continues the trend of RPGs having shitty opening sequences). The opening maps are really boring, the writing is pretty meh and it has that clunky feel that many 3d top-down RPGs are saddled with. And I already want to kill the Vargas voiceactor.
It also pulled the "you have a choice, what will you choose?!?! One will live, one will die!" pretty quickly. Normally I like getting a big choice but I dunno... Something about the opening of this game has me feeling disintered in what's going on. I guess part of it is the Desert Ranger angle which is... well, it's not that interesting.

On the plus-side, creating a party was quite a lot of fun. Nice feeling of not being able to quite cover everything if I wanted to be decent at combat. Audio-wise it is really stellar so far aside from the VA. Love all the clicks and clanks everytime you click somewhere and Mark Morgan sets the mood nicely with the music. Skill usage is fun. Combat seems pretty promising. Like how the overland map feels though I want to zoom it out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Did you help the Doctor with his patients?

I believe in release version you don't need to resolve ALL quests tied to the vote.
I helped the surfer dude, the lady mayor candidate, I gave ciggs to kids, I returned the dog.

I failed with the burning house (didn't have skills to do anything after attaching wheel-thingy) and the doctor didn't say anything about helping his patients.

I found some statue for skill points, I noticed a glade of trees "too quiet/calm (whatever)" but couldn't click anything, and I freed the indian. I also returned to the first shopkeep after clearing out all the wreckers (boy was that a waste of time).

BTW I enjoyed Highpool but AG center, especially now after being late to the rescue, feels like it will just be a long action sequence.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Congrats to inXile, I honestly thought this would be awful but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Hopefully I'll be eating crow when I get home and start it up.

wasia

Literate
Activating the Backer Skill
As a backer, you can activate a unique skill in the game. This is our special thanks to all our backers. To do so, type in "*****" when in dialog with Cpl. Solveig Sefors, the supply officer standing outside at Ranger Citadel. Thank you for your support!

I'm curious, should it work for non-backers too and does the code unique?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Almost all of the loot is random, which means my time spent carefully de-trapping and unlocking a combination safe would sometimes only reward me with a handful of bullets and a wasted hour.
Fargo does it again.

All the talk in the reviews about the old skool mechanics for old people is annoying. I gotta play some new RPG to see what the new mechanics are, I thought this was the standard.
Randomized stand-alone skill checks and critical failures ftl.

I think Swen has it right - if you want gud reviews(tm) polish ur gfx and ui!!!!111
D:OS's UI is pretty bad from a functionality perspective though, so it's really just graphics and style.

P.S. Roguey Final size is 22 gigabytes. Next time don't trust sea so much. :smug:
Download size being 10 gigs is also far more reasonable.

mastroego

Arcane
I can VERY briefly recap the Italian review.
The guy seems to love the game.
  • You can't go more old-school than that.
  • Skill system is "perfect"
  • Combat is awesome, diverse and gripping
  • Choices matter
  • No cutscenes, no spectacular graphics and all: still it's acceptable for old school RGPs
  • Some bugs and the translation is a utter mess (not that I care, I'd play it in English)
I'm intrigued.
Might buy it.

Cadmus

Arcane
D:OS's UI is pretty bad from a functionality perspective though, so it's really just graphics and style.

That's exactly what I meant, "keeping up appearances" will fool the game journalists at large.

Download size being 10 gigs is also far more reasonable.

What's going to be 10GB ? Pillars of Eternity ?
Actually I think they are reviewing the game positively because they have no idea how to play it or what it should play like so they just go "uuhm I hear this erpg games or what are back in fashion, this is kinda hard to be pressing all these buttons so I'll write that fans of the original Fallout 3 will like it"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom