Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Constantly trashing a game usually does that to a thread.
image.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Draw! perk applying to all weapons is pretty great (even if the game isn't consistant in widespread application of most other perks).
There are at least a few non-handguns that are quite clearly intended to be used with this perk.

Spamming rockets is effective - but far from only effective tactics. And rockets, while not exactly scarce, don't grow on trees either.

Last edited:

Imrahil

Educated
What are people's opinions on the best Weapon/Mortar to equip on the Kodiak?

IMO I think it's to go with the one that does the maximum single target damage. Most time if I equip the Rocket Ammo weapons or the Cone Damage ones, I can't use them because either my guys are in the way or my pets (Major Tom!) are in the way & I just have to pass the Kodiak's turn.

So, either you give up all melee pets (Tom, Polly, Billy Jean, Poultron, Honey Badger) which is a valid approach I guess or... you don't do that, 'cause no one does & we can discuss the best Kodiak weapon when you don't. So, it's the Payaso Turret, right? It's unimpressive, mid-to-late game - does middling single target damage, but you can use it every round, no targeting considerations, no need to worry about friendly fire. That's been my conclusion, but I'm wondering if there's any reason to go with something different. Anyone got a counter-argument?

As a side note, are *any* of the Mortars useful? The Caltrop Launcher is situationally useful, so I tend to keep it equipped. Cluster Bomb does jack-all damage, so worthless, Shockwave seems like it'd be useful i some situations when the Kodiak isn't available, so it's whatever.

My conclusion: stick with Payaso Turret & Caltrop Launcher the whole game. Open to other opinions though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Cluster Bomb is possibly the most OP power in the game. It deals like 1000 damage in a huge aoe. It does sucky damage for you because it scales of base weapon damage. And you use a shitty (albeit quick firing) Payaso Turret.
Switch to Fullborer or Rail Gun, then witness the power of the Cluster Bombs.

I also rather like the Magneto Cannon due to its cone attack and fairly low AP cost. Guess the Great Communicator would be even better, but no way I'm taking that rather then the Morningstar AI.

Calltrops are situationally useful, I agree. Shockwave decent in theory but not often practical, yes.

Last edited:

Imrahil

Educated
Do you not recruit any pets, though? And no melee Rangers? I've found that I can't use Kodiak AoE weapons in most combats because my pets/melee would get blasted.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I do use some pets. Not too many. Cats for Crit chance. Goats for Crit damage. If I had a melee, I'd also use a Stag for damage.
All pets tend to go after one target they prioritize. So its usually possible to avoid blasting their group. Cluster Bombs can be placed freely (and ignore obstacles + sight), so its usually possible to avoid hitting allies. Other aoe abilities/weapons can also be free aimed with Ctrl to avoid hitting your allies in shotgun cones, torrent strikes and such.

Melee? I had one in my previous playtrough. Decided he wasn't very efficient. Now I'd only consider a versatile, multi-purpose brawler/hacker/medic/Weird Science gizmo user. Brawler because fist attacks are cheap AP wise so can be done along other stuff and movement. Also his fast attacks can be spammed for rapid Strike build-up and aoe Stuns.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you hate long load times? We hate long load times. Our engineers changed how the game loads levels, reducing load times by up to 60% on PC and 25% on console.
  • As one example, on our PC test hardware a 38 second load time was reduced to 13 seconds.

So they genuinely thought a 38 seconds loading time was in any way, shape or form acceptable.

Imrahil

Educated
Experimented with my Pets today. Um... what I mean is I was confused on how recruiting Special Pets + Normal Pets on the same character works.

Currently, it appears that any Ranger can recruit any Pet they qualify to recruit based on Animal Whisperer skill & then also take on multiple "Special Pets" afterwards (Tom, Polly, etc.) they qualify for. However, you cannot do this in reverse - the Special Pet will 1) lock you out of any Normal Pet & 2) lock you into any Normal Pet you already recruited (see #1).
Spoiler for a Special Pet that starts with 'Cl' if you're curious...
Clone doesn't count & you can recruit normal Pets while having a Clone
Most Special Pets, like Major Tom or Polly, you can control who they "attach to" based on who initiates the conversation that leads to them.

What complicates all this is, just in case anyone wasn't aware, if you shelve a Custom Ranger or NPC to replace them in your party, their Pets all disappears never to return, they keep the bonus, but are then stuck with that Pet forever & can't recruit another.

Spoilers for some Special Pets:
Major Tom can be passed to anyone who meets his requirements (including cigs), even if they have a Normal Pet (you don't get double Cat bonuses for Tom+Normal Cat though). Billy and Jean counts as a normal Pet, as does Honey Badger, as you'd expect. Young Bison can be acquired by anyone but if you dismiss it, it counts as a Normal Pet from there on out. I think based on the dialogue you're supposed to be able to get Polly back after dismissing, but it appears bugged - Polly doesn't rejoin & keeps demanding money from you. Party Pal can be dismissed & the dialogue says you can re-recruit it with any Ranger, but it doesn't actually follow your Ranger unless you do the dialogue with its original Ranger. Toaster can't be talked to so can't be dismissed - your Toaster Repair Ranger gets Toaster forever.

So I think you could get 1 Ranger with a Normal Pet, Major Tom (dismiss, add Normal, re-add Tom, then...), Clone, Polly, Party Pal, Poultron, Young Bison, & Toaster. Anyone know how Poultron "attaches"? I've had him attach to a Ranger & an NPC - just closest character when the battle ends?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I've had Polly successfully switch allegiance in the past. Sure, needed to pay (her previous owner by the sound of the dialogue!) again.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I saw a bit of gameplay of this and it looked surprisingly decent given how flavourless I found WL2.

Will they fix this and it will become the best rpg evar?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I was massively disappointed by WL2, but greatly enjoy this.
Definitely not the best game ever, but surprisingly fun, with quite involved character development + gear planing and has FAR exceeded my low expectations.

Would probably be better if it had an extra balance pass: many of the stronger weapon mods removed (including all elemental Linkage underbarrels and scopes over 32 mm), weapons with chokes prohibited from installing scopes, elemental weapons made more scarce; a few weapons, like the Jackhammer, tuned down; maybe gate the random meeting with Cheebus merchant behind a level 15-ish requirement.
Plus the initiative system could be revamped....

But eh, its really quite good for what it is.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All of ya'll who "despised" or were "massively disappointed" by WL2 on launch should play the Director's Cut. Seriously.

WL3 is basically shorter, streamlined and consolised WL2 DC.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is nobody playing this anymore?

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
It's garbage, few people enjoy turds.

I saw a bit of gameplay of this and it looked surprisingly decent given how flavourless I found WL2.

Will they fix this and it will become the best rpg evar?
WL3 is way more boring than WL2. Only some people who enjoy childish writing say otherwise.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All of ya'll who "despised" or were "massively disappointed" by WL2 on launch should play the Director's Cut. Seriously.

Did they fix the performance? The fact you don't even see equipment on your characters? The possible game ending dead-ends you can run into?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Did they fix the performance? The fact you don't even see equipment on your characters? The possible game ending dead-ends you can run into?

...or removed outrageously redundant skills? Lolrandom skill checks? Did they add hand-placed loot? Implemented flavorful and meaningful perks forcing some kind of decision making/choice? Made character development matter beyond level 1?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

...or removed outrageously redundant skills? Lolrandom skill checks? Did they add hand-placed loot? Implemented flavorful and meaningful perks forcing some kind of decision making/choice? Made character development matter beyond level 1?
Aaakshually yes, to most of that. It was a p. thorough overhaul.

For me WL2 OG was 6.5/10 on launch but I'm fanboying the shit out of DC. I really think it's a genuinely great RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom