Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

Ghulgothas

Arcane
It's a more a matter of nuance to me, I know most buttons have some general either-way applicability but a chance at something more pointed and specific is something I'd like to push for.

Plus it's clear to me that Zizka continues to haunt this thread more so for sprite-practice that the likelihood that any of these buttons will be integrated. I wanna see just what he can do.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’m now open to taking requests. Some which have been mentioned so far:
-Shut up Vatnik! (I was thinking doing a Russian head being progressively crushed by a stomping boot)
-Baiting (a fish hook)

Explain which button you’d like done and the description of what you’d like to see as well as whether you want animation or not.
a cat girl for all the anime needs.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a more a matter of nuance to me, I know most buttons have some general either-way applicability but a chance at something more pointed and specific is something I'd like to push for.
I think this is a bad direction to move in, both from a user standpoint and an admin standpoint. It's good to have a great range of expression available, but that should be achieved with as few buttons as possible. Two buttons that say basically the same thing should really be one button.

Plus it's clear to me that Zizka continues to haunt this thread more so for sprite-practice that the likelihood that any of these buttons will be integrated. I wanna see just what he can do.
I've been meaning to say it for a while. I feel like that guy should be split into his own thread. Everywhere he goes he floods the conversation and makes it all about him. Quarantine. Either that or give him a thread to share with Celerity. Have him make a bunch of animations for Darkest Dungeon and have Celerity tell him why everything is wrong. Let em battle it out until the end of time and meanwhile the rest of us can get back to the grind.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Anyone else ever wonder why the creative button is a dildo?
clear.png

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a mystery:
85m1rLU.png

A.
FjXng6O.gif

B.
dxMoumT.png

C.
e1pG8Go.png

D.
4LRqgiy.png

E.
LfWFLLB.png

F.
IQgVWqd.png

G.
CQrYl8r.png

H.
Mz3looL.png

I.
Gbg679J.png

J.
2Ntowy2.png

K.
aUiIEUN.png

L.
pGIL2dF.png

M.
zMsCviv.png

N.
r9MRYS8.png

O.
zavpDEq.png

Discarded concepts:
u0SSlIi.png
and
mrgzmO8.png
Your discarded concepts are better, because they're better at conveying the meaning of ignoring the cause of something. Yes the ?? as eyes make it clearer, not because it's a good idea, but because the other shapes fail at converying ignorance. All of them.

You need to know a bit about how humans and animals use their bodies to express meaning to be able to portray it in a manner that others can recognize, especially in a small size where a misplaced pixel completely destroys the percieved meaning.

Let's break it down. That act portrayed here
mystery.png
is the shrug. When we do it, those features are usually central: open palms, raised shoulders, pursed lips, raised eyebrows, eyes to one side. There's also an aspect of surprise to this button, which means wide open eyes and open mouth. All this is not obvious to do at a small size, so the arms, eyes and mouth must be just right.

Now let's look at your ghosts. Because of perspective, they don't look like they have their shoulders up or are presenting their palms. Take this one for example,
zMsCviv.png
he looks like he has his hands up front, presenting the two cellphones he's trying to sell. We percieve this as the hands being forward because the hands are bigger than the arm and shoulder, which we read as being a perspective effect. It looks like this:

Compare with the original:
mystery.png
. The original has his arms fully extended, so we know his hands are to the side, not forward, and it's obvious from the drawing that the palms are open towards us. None of your ghosts displays this, yet it it essential to convey ignorance at this size, since raised shoulders are much harder to show clearly.

I mean seriously how can you Zizka pretend to make meaning-conveying buttons when you don't even know the expressions you're trying to convey?

It's the same with the eyes and mouth. Look at this guy again:
mystery.png
. Notice how the "tail" is to the left, and the eyes are to the right? That's intentional: the eyes can't just be to any one side, they're opposite his center of gravity. They go where he is less firm in his position. In other words, eyes and mind are in a state of disequilibrium. And that portrays uncertainty, physically. The eyes on your buttons are whatever, sometimes googly-eyes, sometimes retarded eyes, it just fails at functionally conveying the intended meaning.

It seems to me that knowing how to create pixel art isn't sufficient to be able to make good buttons, because it also requires being able to distill complex human expressions in a very small number of pixels.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Your discarded concepts are better, because they're better at conveying the meaning of ignoring the cause of something. Yes the ?? as eyes make it clearer, not because it's a good idea, but because the other shapes fail at converying ignorance. All of them.

You need to know a bit about how humans and animals use their bodies to express meaning to be able to portray it in a manner that others can recognize, especially in a small size where a misplaced pixel completely destroys the percieved meaning.

Let's break it down. That act portrayed here
mystery.png
is the shrug. When we do it, those features are usually central: open palms, raised shoulders, pursed lips, raised eyebrows, eyes to one side. There's also an aspect of surprise to this button, which means wide open eyes and open mouth. All this is not obvious to do at a small size, so the arms, eyes and mouth must be just right.

Now let's look at your ghosts. Because of perspective, they don't look like they have their shoulders up or are presenting their palms. Take this one for example,
zMsCviv.png
he looks like he has his hands up front, presenting the two cellphones he's trying to sell. We percieve this as the hands being forward because the hands are bigger than the arm and shoulder, which we read as being a perspective effect. It looks like this:

Compare with the original:
mystery.png
. The original has his arms fully extended, so we know his hands are to the side, not forward, and it's obvious from the drawing that the palms are open towards us. None of your ghosts displays this, yet it it essential to convey ignorance at this size, since raised shoulders are much harder to show clearly.

I mean seriously how can you Zizka pretend to make meaning-conveying buttons when you don't even know the expressions you're trying to convey?

It's the same with the eyes and mouth. Look at this guy again:
mystery.png
. Notice how the "tail" is to the left, and the eyes are to the right? That's intentional: the eyes can't just be to any one side, they're opposite his center of gravity. They go where he is less firm in his position. In other words, eyes and mind are in a state of disequilibrium. And that portrays uncertainty, physically. The eyes on your buttons are whatever, sometimes googly-eyes, sometimes retarded eyes, it just fails at functionally conveying the intended meaning.

It seems to me that knowing how to create pixel art isn't sufficient to be able to make good buttons, because it also requires being able to distill complex human expressions in a very small number of pixels.

That's a decent break down, but you forgot the most important point - the mystery ghost is an oldish, recognizable meme. It's not from a game, but suffices better than something generic. Neither the phrase nor image should be replaced, or else the impact is lost.

The ghost button should be canned altogether tbh.

No, we only need a skeleton button and we'd have three different undeads.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
There's really no button that is badly in need of replacement, other than "funny". Some could benefit from some remastering because they're blurry. Also, don't touch the ghost, and add the coof back in.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
That's a decent break down, but you forgot the most important point - the mystery ghost is an oldish, recognizable meme. It's not from a game, but suffices better than something generic.
Yes, that's fair. I don't think it's my best one for sure. I admit I didn't capture the same feeling as the original on this one. Thankfully, the ''It was the Aliens'' is much better.

There's really no button that is badly in need of replacement, other than "funny".
Yes, this is the third time you've said this. I understand your opinion, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

It was the Aliens:

A.
Dwv7w4V.gif
or
t5uy3F0.gif

B.
u6E0o88.png
or
a1p9oKS.png
or
C7V6IfW.png

C.
9QnDlZI.png
or
REjPlg0.gif

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Maximus, I've added you to my ignore list. I have a strict no cunt policy. Also, I thought your parroting the same comment over and over again was getting tedious. Feel free to join the button pushers.

A few more versions:

D.
xFCbcNA.png

E.
67c9Rdl.png

F.
Cd8J5ph.png

G.
fJ509FU.png

H.
9qex3qg.png

I.
fQ0cSfG.png

J.
baHgBUt.png

K.
OFh3orX.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom