Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

West of Loathing - humourous B&W turn-based RPG

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished. Very short, went through it at just 3 hours, but considering that my main criticism of the base game was that it was too long, that might be beneficial.

Anyway, good stuff. Pretty hilarious all the way through, a few cool puzzles, the usual Loathing business really. There's no reason not to get it if you already have the base and like it.

Modron

Arcane
Well I got all my medicine today and it isn't available yet so you sir are a liar
Shame, some times gog takes longer to approve things and the reverse is true as well. Still if you are the codex you have a backlog, I suggest chipping away at that.

Renfri

Cipher
I got this recently and finished it in 2 nights completely, about 8,5 hours in game time. It made me chuckle constantly, simplistic art style was charming and music was awesome. Some bad things were length compared to price and loot management, cos you end up getting so much stuff during game. It gave me inspiration to try Kingdom of Loathing :)

:4/5:

unknown.png

lightbane

Arcane
This DLC alone should receive a review and more, but nooo, Obsidian's latest shit gets news for every minor update no matter what.

Ivan

Arcane
Game is great. Definitely feel like there's much that one can't possibly experience it all in one playthrough.

Glad I checked this out. Looking forward to any future projects.

:salute:

lightbane

Arcane
Finished the DLC. It was awesome, has C&C and can even make you miss getting achievements, which triple A games rarely do. I hope the next DLC comes up soon.

Ivan

Arcane
Yes, I particularly chuckled at the "you could have SOOO resolved this in a neater way, but hey, you do you kiddo" ending

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/597220/view/2730823280981464021
Three Year Anniversary Patch (v1.11.11.11.1)
Hey look at me, I'm a subtitle! Woo!

Holy cow it's been almost three years since we first released West of Loathing! To celebrate this we've fixed some obscure bugs, improved some interactive bits, and added a splash of new content here and there. It's a regular smorgasbord of patch notes!

• If you leave the record playing in your bedroom on the farm, it is now just barely audible outside your house as well. The jam has been pumped.

• Skipping the prologue will now give you the broken board and pair of silver cufflinks -- you'll need to complete an actual pass through Boring Springs with them in your inventory first, though.

• Scaling monsters in the Boring Springs environs will no longer sometimes have missing stats. Contrapositively, missing monsters will have scaling stats.

• Pedestrians and coaches in Dirtwater now have things to say.

• "Poker" games now have twice as much flavor, but half the fat.

• You can no longer arrest the House-in-the-Desert Gang unless you've been inside the Dirtwater Jail at least once.

• You should no longer find any keys in Gustavson Gulch if you've already opened the door they would be needed for.

• The goblins in the guard barracks will now properly drop a random goblin consumable when defeated. But know that narratively they were gobblin' it when you arrived to fight them.

• If you get beaten up far from home and pass out, you will no longer get random encounters from that distant region if you immediately go to the map and start wandering after waking up.

• Your pardner should now provide useful advice about dealing with the remains of the Gherkin Brothers.

• Through the miracle of animation, the clown described as flipping his knife by the campfire is now actually depicted flipping his knife by the campfire.

• The kid at the Circus should no longer continue sadly searching for his bottle cap once you've returned it to him.

• The postcard-dickering arbitrage-for-infinite-Meat-but-very-slowly loophole has been closed. We apologize to anyone who is currently attempting to build up their fortune two Meat at a time.

• The problems board in Breadwood should no longer complain about a bad lumber deal if you didn't use any of their lumber to build a bridge. (Aka the 99 problems, bridge ain't one bug fix.)

• The guitar player at Fort Memoriam will no longer stop playing if you talk to him (but don't suggest he leave).

• You should no longer be able to walk behind some buildings in Frisco. We swear there was nothing back there except tragic wealth disparity.

• There's a new character to chat with at Clooncy's in Frisco.

• Once you've dealt with Norton, there are now pedestrians wandering in Frisco, and they have a few things to say to you.

• It should no longer be possible to accidentally break quest progression during pie-throwing or exploding cigar demonstrations.

• The dictionary in Gun Manor should no longer just close if you try to look up the word "done." This bug was actually pretty funny, so we almost left it in.

• Additional nonsense has been added to the Gun Manor dictionary that probably no one will ever see.

• All variants of venomous bullet oil will now properly report the damage they do in the combat log instead of just "[state dmg]" -- bullets don't actually know what state you are in when you do damage, they aren't that smart.

• The flow of many late-game conversations has been improved.

• A bunch of combats now have custom fight backgrounds that more accurately represent their locale. No one ever complained about this, but now that we've brought it to your attention I fully expect to get reports about other places where things look weird.

• A few combats that were unintentionally too easy are now tougher than they used to be.

• A few audio cues that were not firing properly because of typos in the scripting are now working.

• All known typos have been fixxed, except that one.

• West of Loathing should now be certified such that it will work with MacOS Catalina. (Goodbye annoying notification on the Steam store page! You won't be missed.)

• And finally, on the back end, we updated to Unity 2019.4. This sort of change is terrifying because it could introduce any number of unknown issues. We've tested it a bunch in-house, but please let us know if you find something screwy! (Once we've made sure it's stable we'll roll this patch out on the Switch, GOG, etc. as well.)

Thanks so much for playing our goofy game and telling other people about it so much over the years. Your word-of-mouth support makes a huge difference, and we really appreciate it. Y'all rock!

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC there was a mention in the first dlc about a place called Desolate Lonesome Coast. There's also one quest you cannot complete that directly points to that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey thesheeep, I notice you left a glowing Steam review with less than 10 hours in the game. Is it a short game? I see a lot of other reviewers with 40-60 hours, and several with 200-300 hours! What's up?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey thesheeep, I notice you left a glowing Steam review with less than 10 hours in the game. Is it a short game? I see a lot of other reviewers with 40-60 hours, and several with 200-300 hours! What's up?
Yeah, it is fairly short.
Though I don't think I played all side quests, etc. and afaik some more content came out way after I stopped playing.
Maybe more like 20 hours for a completionist?

The shorter time is fairly welcome in this case, though. It isn't exactly super deep and though the humor is great (to me, anyway), there's only so much humor of the same kind you can take before it gets stale.

But 40-60 hours? Maybe with multiple playthroughs, though I fail to see the point in that. Only your class would change, the rest you'd already know.

And 200-300?
Sorry, but other than someone dying on their PC and the machine running for days straight, I have no explanation. Maybe a developer? :lol:

V_K

Arcane
I think, the critical path can be done in even fewer hours than 10. But there are three major "sidequests" (in a welcome change, you're not told to do them but have to figure them out through exploration) that have a much bigger influence on the ending you get than the main quest. That would probably extend it to 15-20 hours. People with longer playtimes might have just replayed the game to see what endings different permutations of these three quests give you. At least that's what I was planning to do.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is it a short game?
Short but sweet. I've done multiple playthroughs and I have 21 hours played on steam. I'd say 6-8 hours per playthrough, but ofc it depends on how fast you read and some of the major sidequests can take a lot of time.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/597220/discussions/0/4712410385450659778/
Elevens All the Way Down Patch (v1.11.11.11.11)
Many thanks to everyone who reported bugs and helped us track down the trickiest of these issues, we really appreciate it! Here's what's fixed:
  • Corrected a problem where the player character would move super fast on a high-end personal computer. AKA the PCPCPC (personal computer player character problem correction).

• A few objects in dark areas of the game will no longer appear to be hovering very slightly off the ground (they were haunted before, now you're haunted instead, sorry).

• A couple interactions with clowns might now make slightly more sense and/or be slightly more menacing and/or creepy.

• You should no longer tell the Perfessor that you haven’t found anything in the Lost Dutch Oven Mine when you actually have. Ludonarrative dissonance averted!

• The El Vibrato headband will now prevent you from going bonkers in the Lost Dutch Oven Mine Pit, as it was always meant to.

• The El Vibrato Headband is now equippable if you are using a controller instead of a keyboard & mouse.

• The giant rock monster fight is much more challenging now because we fixed a bug that was preventing it from punching you.

• The scorched bandit should no longer be outfoxed when you attempt to hornswoggle them.

• You should no longer talk to the Breadwood Mayor about a lumber deal if you’ve already built a bridge before meeting him.

• The Ghostwood introductory text should now appear as you walk a little ways into the town instead of not-at-all.

• Polished diorite will no longer allow you to exceed your daily spleen allotment.

• When discussing Josie with the Perfessor, the conversation will now properly display character portraits.

• Wasco's banjo music no longer mysteriously continues to play at his shack even after he's left the area. (Those ghosts are also haunting you now instead of Wasco's shack, double-sorry.)

• If you ask Gary or Alice if they know how to play the piano, they will no longer appear to look like Florence when they answer.

• A definition in the Gun Manor Library’s dictionary that was for a homophone of the actual word has been corrected.

• Dirtwater bourbon should now properly provide bonus XP from the Gun Manor shotglass.

• The end credits should now show the jam band scene even if you didn’t get the washboard player. (Fun fact: there’s actually different text for every combination of two or more band members!)

• Lots of small typos that no one else would even notice have been fixed. You'll just have to trust me. (And the ghosts.)

Oh, also there is one known issue that we haven't dealt with yet, but will try to remedy that at some point down the line: A few scenes will look weird at the far edges on very wide monitors (2:1 aspect ratios and above).

Also also -- if you have any bugs or other issues to report, please do so in the bug report forum, not in the comments to this thread! Thank you!

vazha

Arcane
This is what a game should be about: having fun while playing it. What a gem, had me glued to it for two days straight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom