Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Felix

Arcane
Skyrim and Skyward Sword.

Want to complete my majestic rimjob in the skies experience.

hoopy

Savant
Finally played Human Revolution. Cool game, going through it a second time 100 % pacifist (and almost 100 % stealthy) and trying to get and do everything. I never got into the original DX for some reason, but I think I'll revisit it now.

Majestic47

Learned
Jumped in between Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. The new maps for the former is keeping me interested.

Topher

Cipher
I've been wasting all my time with either DoW2, LfD2 or HoMM3, all MP with a friend. On the off chance i'm flying solo right not it's been Witchhaven and a tiny bit of Carmeggedon. Oh and I grabbed Star Ruler off steam, for $2.99 USD, but it just makes me want to play MoO2 or, heck, any other 4x in space.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Teepo said:
How is Dawn of War 2? Been meaning to try it.

Single Player Repetitive.

I didn't care about multiplayer. My competitive online play is limited to shooters nowadays.

Teepo

Scholar
No excitement from the different races? You can play tyranid, man.

Tyranid.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Jane's Longbow. Finally got it working with the 3dfx patch with my NEW Voodoo2 card. :smug:
Only one? weak. Get an SLI setup and then we'll talk.
(I never could get one to work, as the 2nd Voodoo2 touched the heatsink of my P2)

BTW you're the big Carmack fan. Any help you can give me on The Catacomb? :M

Topher

Cipher
I played through the DoW2 SP campaign in co-op, which was it's saving grace, and i'm not really a big fan of the MP, again I comp stomp with a friend over LAN; however, i do like the last stand MP mode. All and all i'd say that if you can find it for cheap, $15 USD or so, that you could find enough fun out of it for that price because there really isn't any reason to play through the SP more than once, maybe twice, and MP, well MP hasn't ever been my thing, so that element wore out it's welcome very quickly.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
commie said:
Jane's Longbow. Finally got it working with the 3dfx patch with my NEW Voodoo2 card. :smug:
Only one? weak. Get an SLI setup and then we'll talk.
(I never could get one to work, as the 2nd Voodoo2 touched the heatsink of my P2)

Well I'm sniffing round for a second one actually. A couple of weeks ago I was looking through a Romanian online auction site and saw some people selling 3dfx cards. Since I missed out on them the first time I thought what better way to go on a nostalgic trip in 'correcting' a lost youth dream than getting a Voodoo2 for peanut moneys? Also picked up a Voodoo3 3000. I thought maybe it's a scam, but for 20 bucks for them both including postage(which was about half of the price) it was worth the risk. Back in Australia I could rarely, if ever find these cards and importing from the US or wherever cost a fortune. Some other fucker has a Voodoo2 for sale as well, but at a ridiculous price so I'll wait.

BTW you're the big Carmack fan. Any help you can give me on The Catacomb? :M

That the 2D one? Or the popamole 3D? ;)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
That the 2D one? Or the popamole 3D? ;)
2D one of course. Managed to finish it just now. I was just expecting linear level numbers whereas in the midgame it jumps around like crazy. Quite impressive design for what's supposed to be a linear overhead shooter actually, with lots of backtracking to previous levels in order to collect clues. Though I never found levels 14, 15 and 18 as a result. Fun game.

baronjohn

Cipher
pZWUR.jpg

Playing a jewish doctor in FNV.

Also "Willow", who is a thousand times better than any of the vanilla followers.

Picked up Sacred 2 and Medieval II Total War Collection quite cheap recently.

Early impressions:

Sacred 2 implied an interesting game initially - lots of statistics, buttons, abilities, and character screens (as many or more than any game I've seen recently) - but as expected it all falls flat with the very effortless and repetitive H&S combat. For a H&S it really isn't that much worse than any of the others out there, and I personally never really had much for the genre but I can enjoy it when I want mindless timeout (not a huge fan of movies).

There are many annoying things (although since the game is so simple you can ignore anything without it impacting the game, which in this case certainly helps you to tolerate it):

Lots of completely pointless and useless abilities (almost all of them), meaningless arbitrary restrictions on equipment (H&S staple, I know), painfully bright "colour dodge" glow on the terrain, way, way too many enemies, 99% of quests go to X->kill/fetch, mind numbingly bad enemies (really tough enemies that force you to stand there hacking away and drinking potions, which eventually get down to 0 hp, go invulnerable, walk in circles, and then fill back up to full health and start all over a second time).

I suppose for people who like H&S what keeps them going is the very large world and different character types and near-unlimited number of quests. It's all just a mild relaxation exercise anyway isn't it? I don't know, whatever.

As for Medieval II: Total War (the only Total War I have played is the demo of the original Shogun, so I basically have no experience with the series) and it started out rather irritating with horrible camera controls (which I admit, still annoy me), blurry visuals, really really slow AI turns and real time battles which may as well be a blank screen with how hard it is to see what's going on. However, after gaining the knowledge I need to understand all the mechanics I am really enjoying it now; I love the depth of all the layers in the game and the way they all come together as an interesting whole (e.g. diplomacy, trade/economics, commanders & the family tree, and the religion system) on a huge world map. There are lots of things you can do to change the progress of the game, and the AI factions do a good job of reacting to your decisions in a believable way including everything going on between the AIs even without your input.

Overall I love the detail of it and have few complaints about the mechanics (most importantly), and it is easily worth the $13 walk-in. Great music too.

Designers who create games like Medieval II are simply on a whole other tier of achievement compared to designers who create games like Sacred 2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing a lot of shit lately.

In the next-gen faggotry section I'm playing: SW:TOR (for free), Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim, Orcs Must Die! plus I still haven't finished my playthrough of DA2 and HR because they suck.

In the oldschool glorious section I'm playing: KotC, Wizardry 8, Might & Magic VII, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

And yep, that is way too many games. Really need to finish them all save TOR before I start something new... But New Vegas GOTY is coming in january and I still haven't played any of the NV DLC.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
SMAC, Civ II, X3:TC and Space Engine. Got The Dark Heart of Uukrul and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday in my to-play queue.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Finished the first three Blackwell games (play them!) and now 1/3 through Arkham Asylum, finally.

Also, I'm finally going to buy Heir to the Throne since it's 3.60 Euros now at GG, to return to EU 3 again...

Antagonist

Liturgist
Currently I'm playing Dark Souls off and on which isn't really helpful as the game mercilessly punishes you if your reflexes and enemy pattern recognition isn't top notch, especially so if you load a character which already progressed a fair bit into the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom