Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
GTA 5 really is just more GTA.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A cursory Internet search shows very mild complaints like "the controls aren't the best". Talk about an understatement.
Back when I first played it, somewhere near release, I kept thinking, not that the controls were bad, but that the setpieces and the platforming were awful. Like, jees, I keep failing this platforming bit, or this fireball is impossible to run away from. But reading what you said, yeah, that's it, the game just controls badly. I think that, like myself, most people are thinking of it not like the controls are bad, but just that the game is too hard. That makes me wonder if the game would have been good if it controlled well or if the game would have been bad even if that handicap was fixed.

fork

Replaying Dark Souls again (again [again {again}]). It's From's best game by far. Infinitely replayable, perfect length, atmosphere, level design etc. As close to perfect as it gets for a relatively complex game.
I've also been playing Dirt Rally again, superb racing game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've started playing Avernum 4. If I wasn't a fan of the older Vogel games, and I didn't know any better, I'd probably gouge out my eyes.

Syberia II is currently free on GOG. I beat the first game not long ago, and I've had my eyes on the sequel. Downloaded it. Time will be spent on it later in the evening.

While browsing my GOG library, which needs more attention, Way of the Samurai 3 was downloaded, and will be played. My goal is to get as many endings I can get before putting it down.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Recently got Doorkickers 2. Decent game that's in early access, so not a huge amount of content yet. Great if you like tactical shit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Like, elemental magic gives you an access to your classic Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind attacks. Instead of these four elements you can combine the attack spells of these school with different ones to get holy attack spells or nature ones.

Remind me Ligth Crusader on SEGA!111onetwothr

Started another playthrough of Crusader: No Regret.

Those games refused to lauch in 1996-97 just as in 2010, eh... Plot of first game suspiciously similiar to what we have today...

Underrail again - ironman of domination with chem guns, already past Depot A. I don't really expect to Ironman whole game, but at lest familiar parts...

wyes gull

Savant
Streets of Rage 4. Now, I'm not a fan of sequels (even though almost all my favorite games are sequels, SoR2 among them), let alone sequels in name only that involve nearly none of the original people, that just exist because brand recognition. Neither am I a fan of DLC. Surprising, then, that SoR4 not only hits all the right notes from the get go but the DLC is actually more than worth the money.
I think I compared it to a really good tribute band last year when I first played it. A year and change later, I don't think it matters. Not only do I still have it installed, it's the game I've played the most since (on par with ck3 probs) even though the genre doesn't lend itself to extended play. I'd still regularly give it a whirl every now and then even before the DLC that came out yesterday. With it, I reckon it'll still be worth a whirl a year from now, maybe more. SoR4 is excellent.

The bosses from SoR1 on Survival can fuck right off tho.

Barabus

Savant
Patron
capsule_616x353.jpg

ultimanecat

Arcane
Been playing through Jedi: Fallen Order, which at $14 is a pretty good deal and yet still more than anyone with Gamepass would have paid. :negative:

Not sure why it needs to be Dark Souls, since it doesn’t really commit to it in character building or weapon diversity, but I’m still enjoying it. Started out on the highest difficulty and combat is challenging and punishing. Had to break out the controller eventually like it tells you to once I reached the first extended fight with a lightsaber wielder because the mouse just wasn’t keeping up. After all is said and done, it feels like Star Wars more than most Star Wars released in the past decade, especially once you mod a permanent helmet on some of the lulzy characters so you don’t have to look at them.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I've been playing Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. I've never encountered The Dark Eye before so it was a bit of a learning experience to make a decent party. The combat is kinda like Gold Box except from a worse angle. Other than that, the game seems solid so far. I'm currently exploring the world for different leads on solving the main quest. The survival aspects are a nice change of pace and make exploration more enjoyable.

jackofshadows

Magister
A question to
rating_prestigious.png
folks here: is it worth to play Perihelion? The artstyle is superb and the soundtrack is really nice too but what about the game itself?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Played two or three levels of Fight'N Rage. A beat 'em up. Not really good. It's like all these indie developers are proud of being amateur. The graphics rarely look as good as the games they try to imitate. The mechanics feel flimsy. And the humanoid animals for enemies do nothing for me.

Field of Glory 2. I recently did a Hannibal campaign and it was pretty challenging even it was just "average" difficulty and "static difficulty" option. I had a lot of fun. I'm going to try another campaign with achaemenids or byzantines on higher difficulty or maybe I could try the increasing dif option, I'm not sure about how good will be "world leveling with your progression" in a purely tactic game, for sure less shitty than at crpgs.

I have just recently discovered that it has an "integration" with Field of Glory: Empires, I should check this also, but I suspect it only will made me want more a proper historical strategy game with overworld map and province or troops management but with tactical turn based battles...

Cael

Arcane
Making my way through Final Fantasy IX on PS1.

As an almost exclusively PC player in the 90s with no RPG in my rotation, the turn-based midgame in Evoland hit me with a weird sense of nostalgia for a past I never experienced, and FF9 is exactly like the stereotypical old-school adventure I felt like I had missed out on. There's just a sense of light-hearted teenage road trip about it, between the varied locations with beautiful backdrops, the dreamy music and the stereotypical plot arcs.

On the other hand, 8-10 hours in the story is still going nowhere, and the vapid dialogues, the slapstick knight in particular, are really getting on my nerves. Crossing fingers that the plot somehow escalates to something actually meaningful.

1. It does escalate, and man, does it escalate fast.
2. FF9 was specifically and explicitly designed and written as a nostalgic homage to all of the previous FF series, and by extension the old-school RPG genre. Fans of the series will pick up a lot of bits that links it to previous games (mechanics, characterisations, etc.)

NerevarineKing

Learned
Making my way through Final Fantasy IX on PS1.

As an almost exclusively PC player in the 90s with no RPG in my rotation, the turn-based midgame in Evoland hit me with a weird sense of nostalgia for a past I never experienced, and FF9 is exactly like the stereotypical old-school adventure I felt like I had missed out on. There's just a sense of light-hearted teenage road trip about it, between the varied locations with beautiful backdrops, the dreamy music and the stereotypical plot arcs.

On the other hand, 8-10 hours in the story is still going nowhere, and the vapid dialogues, the slapstick knight in particular, are really getting on my nerves. Crossing fingers that the plot somehow escalates to something actually meaningful.

What drove me crazy in FF9 is how long it took to start every single battle and how delayed the ATB system was sometimes (PS1 version on PS3). FF7 and 8 didn't have this problem, so it didn't make a lot of sense. I doubt I could ever replay the game, even if I enjoyed it overall.

Krivol

Magister
True for the PS1 version, but the PC version is quite fast, you can even use a cheat menu to make it 10x (?) faster (great for grind, but IIRC it bugged frog hunt for me).

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Prodeus
Has gotten lots and lots of great custom maps lately. This game is pure incline, and one of the best boomer shooters available.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Replaying Kingdom Come Deliverance on hardcore mode. Honestly I wish I played the game on that mode for my first playthrough, significantly more immersive. Lack of quest markers, attack indicators, and auto-saves make me pay more attention to everything.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Replaying NES Fire Emblem on my RG350. I love the art style on this one.

images

There's no background in the combat, just the two character sprites over a black layer. The animations are simple but above NES standards. It's just nice to look at.

level 43 crusader (shotgun) in WH40K Inquisitor - Martyr

i'm having more fun with this than grim dawn, path of exile and any number of arpg's ive tried to get into over the years

really liking the pick-and-choose mission-type progression and customisation of the game to suit your build goals

good game

Naraya

Arcane
Prodeus
Has gotten lots and lots of great custom maps lately. This game is pure incline, and one of the best boomer shooters available.
Man, thank you for mentioning this game, I had no idea it existed! I just played the first campaign level and I definitely like what I see. I didn't care at all about the nu-Doom but this looks right up my alley. Visceral combat, pumping music and old-school design. I'm not sure if I like the aiming mechanic (for now I don't use it and I disabled the crosshair) but apart from that - holy crap it feels good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom