Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished Loom, a lucasarts quest.
It's not difficult and rather short but it's a very beatiful looking game with a great ost.

Kinda sad that the ending is a cliffhanger, sorta.

It was meant to a trilogy, where each chapter focused on a different trade. Part 2 was supposed to be called 'Forge' and starred a blacksmith, from what I remembered.

JDR13

Arcane
Still playing Dead Island Definitive Edition. I'm in Act III now, and I'm surprised by how much bigger this game is than I realized.

There's a lot to explore, and that's good because the exploration is really the only thing worthwhile about it.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Gedonia, a early access open world rpg made by one person on unity. Optimization is exactly what you would expect.

It features a cool character building system with a lot of interplay between various skill trees.
Like, elemental magic gives you an access to your classic Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind attacks. Instead of these four elements you can combine the attack spells of these school with different ones to get holy attack spells or nature ones.
Necromancer can get different skeletons if he/she summons them while being infused with a different element. Wind element to get a skeleton archer, beast to get an animal skeleton - you get the idea.
You can also combine different magics with the martial attacks thanks to enchant weapon ability in a combat mastery tree.
It's a cool game, but you have been warned - it's an early access unity game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gedonia, a early access open world rpg made by one person on unity. Optimization is exactly what you would expect.

It features a cool character building system with a lot of interplay between various skill trees.
Like, elemental magic gives you an access to your classic Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind attacks. Instead of these four elements you can combine the attack spells of these school with different ones to get holy attack spells or nature ones.
Necromancer can get different skeletons if he/she summons them while being infused with a different element. Wind element to get a skeleton archer, beast to get an animal skeleton - you get the idea.
You can also combine different magics with the martial attacks thanks to enchant weapon ability in a combat mastery tree.
It's a cool game, but you have been warned - it's an early access unity game.
I liked the minimum attribute requirements for things like dual wielding, double jumping, magic etc. More games oughta be willing to limit capability based on build.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma

I was curious about replaying this after the success of DMC5 and seeing the enthusiasm for a sequel. I finished the campaign but remember dropping it off in the DLC years ago. I wanted to see why the game failed to leave a lasting impression on me. I replayed the game up through arriving to the main city hub.

strengths:
-voice acting and writing are well done
-the animation quality and world architechture is top notch, moving and climbing is fluid, it kind of makes me wish there were more involved mechanics like climbing or swimming. mounting is pretty automated
-monster design is awesome, just as I remembered

weakness:
-not sure if there's an option to display damage dealt, but I identified my biggest issue in finding the fun for me here is that most of the enemies receive little damage except for the dmg type they happen to be weak to. Such that, it makes the combat feel flimsy and un-skillful. I.E. the stats of my weapons matters more than my input as a player
-never been a fan of pause-menu based healing and it sucks here too. I turned off the stamina drain from sprinting since I do recall that being annoying, but you still have to spend a good amount of time in menus for healing, curing debuffs, etc

TLDR: I wish the combat was more Gothic/Soulsy since the world IS fun to explore and the enemies look and animate very well. As it stands, I have found the combat to be terribly boring due to the damage values. Damn shame since the attack animations and the visual effects are FANTASTIC.

With bows you can use Blast Arrows and up to 4 Conqueror's Periapts for massive damage. You can do all kinds of powerleveling to max out your strength. Start as fighter, kill the first cyclops with a few throwblasts, get your pawn, then you can go to Bitterblack Isle at night, run past most of the enemies (except the fucking gargoyle, you have to fight it) to get the moonbeam gem at the top of the Midnight Helix, teleport out, and get the Ring of Perseverance which doubles the discipline points you earn. Do that at level 5-10 and you can max out 3 vocations by level 50. Get 5 stars in Fighter, get the Sinew augment, max out Warrior to get Clout, then Strider for Arm and Leg Strength, then Assassin or Ranger, or finish Fighter if you're doing a melee build. Those are all good vocations, even Strider if you level up in others first for strength. I'm not a fan of Magic Archer or Mystic Knight, but a Mage-Sorceror build is ok if you have a few fast attacks. If you're just wasting time, a party of 4 sorcerors worth trying just for spell syncing to cast god tier spells like Grand Bolide 4x faster when you're level 30-40. I have more fun doing that kind of shit from a fresh start than going up past level 100.

Humanophage

Arcane
Currently wasting time on Football, Tactics, and Glory [Codex thread]. It's a mixture of tactical combat and a football manager (and it's Russian jank), in which you can control your players in a reasonably elaborate fashion. Pretty solid tactical element enhanced by a strategic layer. Characters gain experience and develop the skills which they use, acquiring a set of separate abilities like a longer pass that grants an extra turn, a less skill dependent tackle, etc. Experience gain is highly dependent on success, so scoring a goal or doing some saves against a tough club costs a lot more than drawing with a rubbish one.

I started on hard, and my team was the most miserable 1st level affair, but it all picks up after a couple of seasons. I was disappointed with the lame balance in Football Manager where your trash-tier team quickly gets into the first division - not here. And no unbearably slow unskippable animations either as in Bloodbowl.
dM0kFoZ.jpg
WDfFnuc.jpg
OKz0270.jpg

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
What is up with the character art? Was it especially designed for manlets?

Humanophage

Arcane
What is up with the character art? Was it especially designed for manlets?
It's whimsical and basic, but I suppose the idea was to make them all more like figurines or action figures that you move on a tactical board. Also probably to increase their visibility and the ability to recognise them because you can't zoom in on the main combat screen (the one with the 10x7 grid).

Ezekiel

Arcane
Some more Battlefield 2. I don't which is worse. A P2P server system where the maps are random or a system like this where people play the same maps all the time. Good luck finding anything well populated that isn't Wake Island or Strike at Karkand (whose popularity over so many others perplexes me).

Meh. Kicked for base-raping. So many shitty rules.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, I beat hellpoint. The Sentient and Spawn bossfight is probably the worst designed encounter I've come across. It's as if the developers just gave up and made a boss that is broken in multiple ways.
- If you die you immediately respawn in front of the boss. You have no chance to change equipment or rethink your strategy. If you want some breathing room you have to quit out of the game and it will reload you back at the Embassy. That is tedious. Imagine if in Dark Souls they respawned you right in Ornstein and Smough's boss arena, right into Ornstein's stinger. That's kind of bullshit

-Wide Spanning, hard to dodge attacks that knock you down long enough for an another attack to hit you. Remember the Four Kings, how they can pack a punch and can attack you offscreen? Think that, but even more aggravating because the asshole doesn't have to get into range to attack you and has next to no telegraph. In theory you could shoot the cubes to reduce some of the damage output, but the lock on system in hellpoint is trash and you can't change target. That's right, it's a fucking souls like without the change target feature. Hellpoint is pretty bad with it's difficulty spikes, but holy shit the Sentient fight is on another level.

-The encounter is actually physically harmful to play. Remember how the Four kings were a little disorientating because you were in a black void and you had no sense of distance? Well imagine that, except the screen has all of these flashy attacks constantly going off, the boss teleports everywhere making the camera suddenly make a 180 degree turn and you have to circle strafe to avoid it's attacks. It actually made me feel unwell afterwards, and I don't even have epilepsy.

-The Spawn NPC that shows up is fucking annoying. He is somehow faster than you and his attacks always stagger. He's not that big of a threat in terms of damage output, but he will stagger you long enough to get hit by the Sentient's bullshit wall of light attacks that knock you down, take half your health and then instant kills you because it triggers twice. Also, the Spawn has incredibly fast recover animations and will block most of your attacks. I had to cheese him with the Espadon's strong attack to chain knock him down.

The ending you get for beating the true final boss isn't even good. You just get dropped back in the Embassy and the Author is like "The multiverse is a bitch, huh? Don't forget, you're here forever." At least he remembers you if you come to him with 100+% data in NG+, which is a nice touch. Despite being required to beat the game, data is not lost on NG+, so you can basically just keep going to the next NG cycle after beating the first boss. Which is a bloody weird way of doing progression.
Not that it matters, because NG+ doesn't change anything.

TLDR, Hellpoint is a disappointment. So many neat ideas and art direction, fucking abysmal execution and just as many terrible ideas. It's fine at first but after you kill the Cosmic Gods there's pretty much nothing left to do except enter into NG+ by killing yourself or fighting two annoying bosses back to back, the latter of which is the clusterfuck I just ranted about.

Playing Factorio now, need to chill after nearly getting motion sickness from a video game.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS POST IS GONNA BE TOTAL OLD MAN SHIT SO IG ORE IF YOU ARE BORED BY OLD PEOPLE

I PLAY GAMES WITH MY KIDS WHEN I CAN

FUCKING MAME AND A DECENT FRONTEND FOR IT

AS WELL AS SOME OPENBOR SHIT AND A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY ON A DECENT SETUP HAS GIVEN ME MORE FUN THAN FUCKING ANYTHING

Jg9epmM.jpg

MARVEL INFINITY WAR MY KIDS STILL LOVE THAT SHIT

d1r

Patron
BROS THIS POST IS GONNA BE TOTAL OLD MAN SHIT SO IG ORE IF YOU ARE BORED BY OLD PEOPLE

I PLAY GAMES WITH MY KIDS WHEN I CAN

FUCKING MAME AND A DECENT FRONTEND FOR IT

AS WELL AS SOME OPENBOR SHIT AND A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY ON A DECENT SETUP HAS GIVEN ME MORE FUN THAN FUCKING ANYTHING

Jg9epmM.jpg

MARVEL INFINITY WAR MY KIDS STILL LOVE THAT SHIT

I hope you're using Sanwa buttons.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO PROBABLY NOT

ILL GET AROUND TO MAKING SHIT DECENT SOMEDAY

THE UPGRADE IS A SLOW PROCESS IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE UPDATE THERE ARE A MILLION FUCKING THINGS TO FIX

GOING TO A FIFTY INCH TV MEANT I NEEDED TO GET FILTERS OR RESIZE EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD THAT IS MY MOST RECENT PROBLEM

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SO RESIZING ALL THE MAME GAMES IS A PAIN IN MY ASS

FOR NOW IS USE THE CHICKEN SHIFT BEZEL FOR MOST 43 GAMES CAUSE IT LOOKS OK AND I CAN COPY THE ART FILE EASY

ks14Kwz.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started another playthrough of Crusader: No Regret. It might just be one of my favourite games of all time. I don't think there's any other one out there that gives the same vibe of being a super-commando wrecking shit from the inside against all odds by any means necessary. Maybe Republic Commando, but still not to the same degree as Crusader.

Also, I always chuckle at the 'Thank you! Area secured! ^___^' message when you turn off an alarm. Corpses of guards strewn as far as the eye can see, everything is wrecked to hell - yep, looks secured enough to me!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was in a mood for a proper FPS and decided to play Unreal which I played years ago but never finished. I decided to play it with Evolution mod and I played it on Unreal difficulty. Overall it was a fun experience although it was pretty easy with exception of the last map in the expansion where the arena fight was a pain. While fun game I would still not put it in my list of top 5 FPS.

Now wondering which FPS should I play next, choosing between Redneck Rampage or Powerslave.

d1r

Patron
I was in a mood for a proper FPS and decided to play Unreal which I played years ago but never finished. I decided to play it with Evolution mod and I played it on Unreal difficulty. Overall it was a fun experience although it was pretty easy with exception of the last map in the expansion where the arena fight was a pain. While fun game I would still not put it in my list of top 5 FPS.

Now wondering which FPS should I play next, choosing between Redneck Rampage or Powerslave.

Go Redneck Rampage. Definitely. And don't forget the expansions.

Yldr

Educated
Finally got around Driver on PS1.

I remember marketing material for a later Driver game saying it was the first 3D city where you could drive around freely. It's still an impressive technological prowess relative to its era but I was playing Midtown Madness months before that; and if they meant on consoles and/or story-driven, Crime Killer on PS1 is even older.

The mission design is its greatest weakness, starting with the very first mission in the parking lot, and the plot is a completely disjointed series of events that happen one after the other without any coherence. At the end you "save the president" by doing the exact same shit you've been doing from the beginning: drive long straight lines from A to B hoping that you won't get fucked over too badly by the erratic enemy spawns.

One of the many cases where 2 was the "real" game and 1 was a glorified first draft. I'm not a fan of pure racing games but I do enjoy driving in games, so these story-driven vehicular games are always welcome.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Powerslave. Redneck Rampage suffers from a lot of problems, most obviously, its ugly, it has very questionable level design, and items are hard to spot. And its sequel, Redneck Rampage Rides Again, comes off more like an expansion at first glance. Powerslave does have issues, especially if you don't care for first person platforming. The console versions are very Metroidvania-ish, whereas the DOS version just has big open levels.

jackofshadows

Magister
The coolest thing about Driver imo was the very first, entry mission where you had to show all the tricks like 360, turbo, ziggyzaggy etc etc. After that - yeah, too much recurrence. And still a nice change of pace compared to the other race games at the time.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have Driver: San Francisco installed and in my archives, ready to play someday. Heard it was BOSS, as you limeys from the north of England like to say ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom