Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

purupuru

Learned
I am playing Half Life 2 for the first time in 2022 (after finishing Black Mesa that has been lying on my hard drive since forever), and man is it an bad experience so far halfway through the game. I feel like one of those rats running in wheel cages, the game asks you to keep moving forward on and on but there is a voice within me just keeps asking "Why?" The plot hook feels weak and there is little cool stuff happening that makes you feel rewarded (like in Black Mesa you beat the tentacles and launch a rocket to space). Was thinking about making a rant thread here but after a bit searching apparently codex hates HL2 already and I would rather not beat the dead horse any further.
Will probably grit my teeth and at least complete the game. Definitely will try out the original HL1 one day, but I really had it enough with shooters right now.

passerby

Arcane
If there is anything you liked about HL2 at all, than the expansions are decent short romps that lead nowhere storywise, but have a good pacing due to all unnecessary filler bloat removed and are a bit more enjoyable than the main game.

BruceVC

Magister
I really am having fun in NWN EE SoU

I mentioned I love the D&D ruleset and the myriad of combat strategies in these games and here is one example to illustrate that point

I encountered my first Shield Guardian and its immune to level 4 spells and below and my character is a wizard who didnt have access to level 5 spells. Plus my familiar cant harm it and my henchmen, who is Dorna, can only do minimal damage so I got slaughted the first 3 times I tried to defeat it

And then I realized I luckily had some level 5 scrolls. So I used Bigbys Interposing hand to make the Guardians attacks more ineffective, used Chain Lighting and Cone of Cold and threw numerous Alchemist Fire at the foul creature. And with Dorna hacking away I was able to defeat it ...great battle :cool:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Binging RE4 with the recent HD Project that came out. Small team killed it with the new assets and especially once at Chapters 3/4 with the castle environment, it looks great without anything feeling out of place.

jt9tfq.png

vveden.png

ihhaqu.png

w9tr9n.png

lx5kdp.png

BRO APPROVED POPAMOLE

MIGHT TRY

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You fuckers are gonna make me play nwn. I haven't touched it since release.
Don't do that to yourself. NWN single player is bad.
Maybe it's good though? Something to scratch that d&d itch without commiting myself to KotC 2 yet.

I remember it being not much more complicated than kotor, but maybe I was just to young and dumb to uderstand how great it actually is.

Probably not.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You fuckers are gonna make me play nwn. I haven't touched it since release.
Don't do that to yourself. NWN single player is bad.
Maybe it's good though? Something to scratch that d&d itch without commiting myself to KotC 2 yet.

I remember it being not much more complicated than kotor, but maybe I was just to young and dumb to uderstand how great it actually is.

Probably not.
You can always give it a try.

It's really bad, though. Uninspired plot, boring encounters, and shitty graphics.

I did spend many hours playing, but it was all online stuff.

Krivol

Magister
SotU is ok. Just skip oc: game is a bit ugly and simplified, but it's good enough to waste some time on good modules (and SotU/HotU are good modules)

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm at the final dungeon of Yakuza: Like A dragon. Been holding off on beating it, because I don't want the journey to end. Tomorrow, I will see if I will take the plunge. I have done almost every sub story. I have one dragon kart quest left. It's annoying af. It's possible that I might not be able to beat it. I will not tackle the True Millennium Tower at this point in time. Too much time to prepare, but I have other titles to play.

Ultima Underworld is almost done. I only have the final stretch before I beat it. We're talking like an hour or two at most.

In Chronicles of Myrtana, I decided to join the merchants, but I did as much as I could for the guards. In general, I have just been wandering around, killing as much stuff as I can, and doing as much side content as possible.

The Last Remnant is almost done, too. I'm taking on the super bosses, then I will prepare my team for the final ultimate boss. This is also not far from completion.

EDIT:
Samorost 3 is a beautiful game, just like most of Amanita's games. I have spent an hour with it. I don't see this taking me more than 2-3 hours. Really digging the soundtrack.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Went back and finished a game I'd started awhile back but shortly fell off of. I admit I only booted it up again so I could strike it off my backlog list, but I was surprised how into it I got after awhile.
Capture.png
Hard West is one of the most acquired taste games I think I've ever played, but it's a good taste. Sad the expansion is wholly isolated in it's own little module than connected to the unlock-system underlying everything else, it was my favorite part of the game. And I think the weirdest thing about it is how this little turn-based cowboy shoot-em-up game's soundtrack was scored by the same guy who composed the score for Witcher 3. It does a better job of presenting narrative and providing atmosphere than any of the writing.

deuxhero

Arcane
Went back to Jedi Outcast after beating Jedi Academy. I give up. The way the game handles mouse input renders it essentially unplayable without OpenJK's raw mouse input support. White screen during load doesn't help either.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Obviously, I've grown so old, autistic and tired of "gaming" that even theHunter is too much for me, so I've found quiet autistic peaceful bliss in this:

Unless you break your back taking off the road wheels it is not real enough for me.

deuxhero

Arcane
Went back to Jedi Outcast after beating Jedi Academy. I give up. The way the game handles mouse input renders it essentially unplayable without OpenJK's raw mouse input support. White screen during load doesn't help either.

Found this
https://jkhub.org/files/file/1860-jedi-academy-outcast/

Checking it out, it seems to mostly work so far. There's some small shortcomings beyond the known issues (stormtroopers shout "stop the Jedi" before you're a Jedi, demo level will inherit saber settings from Academy if launched first) but it works with relatively little pain.

Ivan

Arcane
Devotion:5/5:
Wanted to jump in real quick and share some brief thoughts on Red Candle's Devotion (I picked up the Detention + Devotion bundle from their direct site)

store page: https://shop.redcandlegames.com/games/devotion

Red Candle has done Team Silent proud. Devotion is an excellent follow-up to Detention. The first thing one would notice is the dramatic improvement in production values. In Devotion you explore an apartment complex and unravel the story of a family wrestling with financial troubles and a health scare. The story explores the dangers of the folly of faith, marital jealousy, and childhood trauma. The environments are beautifully detailed, the sound design is top notch, and the story has very little to no fat. I was often reminded of Silent Hill 4's iconic apartment during my playthrough. The experience didn't feel brief to me, even though I'm sure it can be completed in just a few 2-3 hours. The game is packed with memorable sequences that do wonders for character development. The game does commit some horror tropes, but nothing felt too cheesy or overdone. In fact, I applaud how some were even subverted before they ended (e.g. the chase). To conclude, an excellent horror adventure worth supporting. Here are some favorite tracks and the launch trailer:

:negative:

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane

Found this

Checking it out, it seems to mostly work so far. There's some small shortcomings beyond the known issues (stormtroopers shout "stop the Jedi" before you're a Jedi, demo level will inherit saber settings from Academy if launched first) but it works with relatively little pain.

Now I remember why I don't replay Outcast like I do Academy, even before OpenJK. It's not just the FPS levels (which are meh by the standards of the time, though the enemy layout does encourage smart use of explosives and the chargeable pistol at times but it's too little too late) Raven Software had this bizarre fascination with incomprehensible puzzles. They got flack for it in Hexen 2, yet kept doing it.

You've got an automated flying tram that goes through an area at regular intervals. You need to figure out a way to get onto it to get to a higher ledge it passes by. Sensible enough. Problem is the only place to get onto the tram is some radiation room that will kill you if you enter it while the tram is active. How do you get past this? Well you go outside, notice a piston below you that every few minutes (so you're very likely to never notice it simply by never being in the area at the same time) will pop out of the wall and let you jump down onto a ledge below it. After you've gotten yourself into what would otherwise be an inescapable position, it will then be clear the piston is hollow (you could only ever see it from above) and you can climb through. Once you've done that you encounter some machines with red shielding. The last level taught you such shielding reflects your shots, but here it means you can blow it up to disable the radiation room. What were they thinking?!

It doesn't end there either. After you complete that segment you blow up a machine to destroy the mine you're in (Which makes less sense when I think about it enough to type this because it the livelyhood of the prisoners you're trying to rescue and only temporarily under imp control and you've literally just called the New Republic to come liberate it.) and parts of the mine start colapsing. How do you progress after this? Well you go to the train station that was a dead end because it had no trains. Apparently the mine blowing up makes a train care come???

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished Dusk.

:prosper:

Might just be the most overrated shooter of the last decade. There's nothing this game particularly excels at, and at most it's just ok. Quite a few things I disliked, especially the guns and a significant part of the enemy roster.

After EP 1 and 2 I said that I don't really dislike it so much because it's primarily meh, but after EP 3 I think I'll reconsider that opinioun. EP 3 is absolute trash nearly from start to finish, with just one good level in it - everything else is just a set of gimmicks, and the final four are simply insultingly bad. EP 3 felt to me like the game was making a conscious attempt to find new ways of pissing me off.

Overall I'd say EP 1 is alright if nothing amazing, and then the game gets progressively worse. EP 2 might have the best level design of the bunch, but it's by far the one were the ass-tier graphics are the most eye-gouging with its constant grey industriada, and the enemy roster there was boring me to tears (pretty sure like 90% of the enemies are cannon fodder grunts and fat guys with flamers). And then it's EP 3 which, as mentioned already, was total trash and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Would not recommend.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You've got an automated flying tram that goes through an area at regular intervals. You need to figure out a way to get onto it to get to a higher ledge it passes by. Sensible enough. Problem is the only place to get onto the tram is some radiation room that will kill you if you enter it while the tram is active. How do you get past this? Well you go outside, notice a piston below you that every few minutes (so you're very likely to never notice it simply by never being in the area at the same time) will pop out of the wall and let you jump down onto a ledge below it. After you've gotten yourself into what would otherwise be an inescapable position, it will then be clear the piston is hollow (you could only ever see it from above) and you can climb through. Once you've done that you encounter some machines with red shielding. The last level taught you such shielding reflects your shots, but here it means you can blow it up to disable the radiation room. What were they thinking?!
I remember getting stuck on this level because of this as a kid. I hadn't yet played any of Raven's other titles yet, and basically only previously played the first JK, where something like that would have been a secret, rather than something required for completing a level. Now that I know Raven started off making Dungeon Master-clones their habit of doing crap like that all ties together.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Need to take a break from RPGs so i will play action games the rest of the month, Astrail Chain and Muramasa will do. I even ordered a pro controller, joycons don't seem to be very good for action games but what do i know? The last game i played from the genre was DMC 3 Special Edition on PS2.

BruceVC

Magister
Okay I finished NWN EE SoU and as I mentioned before its great fun but I wanted to share something important for those who have never played it

Their is one battle which is ridiculously hard and unbalanced but it can be beaten and that is with an enemy called the Wise Wind. It has high Spell Immunity and is very difficult to defeat with your henchmen. But on the quest to capture it you can gain temporary help from an Archmage and Knight which I suggest everyone does. But even with them helping I found myself getting beaten because the Wise Wind teleports and then heals itself which is very annoying, I was defeated at least 8 times

But then in the battle I won the Archmage randomly used Bigbys Crushing Hand ( I assume it was that ) and the Wise Wind was stuck and couldnt teleport or seemed to be able to heal...and I was able to defeat it :salute:

This is just a tip if you play SoU

deuxhero

Arcane

Found this

Now I remember why I don't replay Outcast like I do Academy, even before OpenJK. It's not just the FPS levels (which are meh by the standards of the time, though the enemy layout does encourage smart use of explosives and the chargeable pistol at times but it's too little too late) Raven Software had this bizarre fascination with incomprehensible puzzles. They got flack for it in Hexen 2, yet kept doing it.

It doesn't end there either. After you complete that segment you blow up a machine to destroy the mine you're in (Which makes less sense when I think about it enough to type this because it the livelyhood of the prisoners you're trying to rescue and only temporarily under imp control and you've literally just called the New Republic to come liberate it.) and parts of the mine start colapsing. How do you progress after this? Well you go to the train station that was a dead end because it had no trains. Apparently the mine blowing up makes a train care come???

After this is a nice open (but short) level set in a canyon thats only problem is the messed up ending (you're told Jan will land in a canyon despite the level being 75% canyon, and it's actually though a previously locked door you have no way of knowing just opened). Jedi Trials are mostly fine except the last one, which depends entirely on you stepping on an inconspicuous alcove. Nar Shadda is as bad as everyone remembers it with unavoidable aimbot snipers everywhere (seriously the gap between these guys and everyone else in aiming is massive), but also requires making a blind jump into a dark pit that happens to have a ledge (the obvious way forward, by contrast, only has a few secrets) and then pulling some street lights you have no idea are movable unless you mouse over their tiny hitbox. Garbage dump has more unavoidable snipers, and even more nonsense required to progress. Also this game spawns enemies out of nowhere way too often for a game that lets you see through walls on demand.

Jedi Outcast is 100% an otherwise bad game with some of the worst level design I've ever seen (I'd honestly take linear corridors over this) saved by its fantastic lightsaber/force combat and plot (and Lando guest star with original voice). Jedi Academy focuses entirely on the saber and force combat with minimal Ravensoft logic in the way and is way better for it. Its levels are straightforward or defined by a single gimmick, but even the worst levels aren't bad (Vjun's outdoor parts if you didn't grab protection/heal is the only level I dislike, and that's not too long. Mutant rancor chase is very obviously scripted, but the level is still fun.).

After this is a nice open (but short) level set in a canyon thats only problem is the messed up ending (you're told Jan will land in a canyon despite the level being 75% canyon, and it's actually though a previously locked door you have no way of knowing just opened). Jedi Trials are mostly fine except the last one, which depends entirely on you stepping on an inconspicuous alcove. Nar Shadda is as bad as everyone remembers it with unavoidable aimbot snipers everywhere (seriously the gap between these guys and everyone else in aiming is massive), but also requires making a blind jump into a dark pit that happens to have a ledge (the obvious way forward, by contrast, only has a few secrets) and then pulling some street lights you have no idea are movable unless you mouse over their tiny hitbox. Garbage dump has more unavoidable snipers, and even more nonsense required to progress. Also this game spawns enemies out of nowhere way too often for a game that lets you see through walls on demand.

Jedi Outcast is 100% an otherwise bad game with some of the worst level design I've ever seen (I'd honestly take linear corridors over this) saved by its fantastic lightsaber/force combat and plot (and Lando guest star with original voice). Jedi Academy focuses entirely on the saber and force combat with minimal Ravensoft logic in the way and is way better for it. Its levels are straightforward or defined by a single gimmick, but even the worst levels aren't bad (Vjun's outdoor parts if you didn't grab protection/heal is the only level I dislike, and that's not too long. Mutant rancor chase is very obviously scripted, but the level is still fun.).

Both JO and JA have the problem that the player, once they get the lightsaber, is basically 100% invincible against any normal stormtrooper or thug with a blaster. It reminds me of a george lucas quote on Ep 1 "[about the Battle Droids] The Jedi cut 'em down like they're butter, and they really are pretty useless." The only way to compensate is with bullshit like laser snipers, grenades, and incomprehensible puzzle design. I do recall a lot of cutscenes focusing on doors or showing enemies arriving as hints in JO though, or level design was changed to force you to go one way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom