Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Khor1255

Arcane
On days I'm off work I usually start the day playing the original Age of Empires.

My son is trying to get me into console games but although the graphics and even the gameplay look cool on some of them I haven't gotten the controls down and that takes the fun out of it. Feels like work.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Started playing God Eater 3 again. Nice Monster Hunter clone with more anime aesthetics, set in a post-apocalyptic setting. I played the original God Eater on my PSP, oh God, 10 years ago now or somewhere around there? Anyway, really like the enemy design, as well as the customization options. Story is interesting enough to keep me engaged (especially after the last couple missions I did) but it does have a really slow opening. Biggest negative is that, at least so far (chapter 2), missions are ridiculously easy. Like I’m talking being given half an hour to do a five minute mission where I’m never in danger of dying. Boss fights get me close to dying a couple times but that’s probably mostly cause of my aggressive play style.
Bonus points for actually stabbing with spears rather than only slashing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Abu Antar!? Have you stopped playing games!? Asked no one. :P

In Devil Survivor 2, I reached the third day of the game. Catching demons, fusing demons, and following the story is fun. Tactical is fun, albeit it relies a lot on monster weaknesses. Make sure to have the right demons for the right fights, or you will be obliterated. On the other hand, if you do have the right demons and skills, you will wreak havoc on the battlefield. Some grinding is required if you want to set up your team right.

Like A Dragon: Ishin! I think this one must have bombed really hard. I looked at some of the trophies that I have obtained, and the percentage of number of players who got them is very low. Sub 10%. I'm at chapter 6, with around 21% completion. The story is slowly ramping up, and there are lots of side quests to be beaten. I have beaten 30 side quests, learned a lot of moves at dojos, and played lots of min games (fishing, farming etc), too. I'm having a great time with the game. With all the styles getting more moves as you level, variety increases. Even unarmed combat style is useful. The most fun fights are the wanted men you can chase down, and the arena fights. In the arena, you cannot heal, and have to battle fairly challenging opponents without rest. (Difficulty will ramp up, I have only done the early rounds.) There are also dungeons that you can unlock. I feel like they are mostly there to give you extra materials.

I beat the RPG Mode of Granblue Fantasy: Versus. I'm kind of bad at fighting games, but this mode was fairly forgiving. It allows you to level up your characters, and you also have a CPU support character. I don'tlove the controls, but overall everything was functional. I also did a few versus mode games, and Arcade games. I didn't try online.

Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate was pretty cool. Some cool missions, and a decent challenge if you're not prepared. I like the that you're not just a squad of six. You can actually have a lot of marines with you. There were a decent amount of environment types for missions. The soundtrack set the right mood for the game, too.
I will play the new one some day.

Caves of Lore. Let me start by saying that the character graphics can be off putting. Other than that, I would say that this is a slam dunk for a one man team. Party-based, focus on exploration and combat. To be honest, I don't read much of what is being said. Not that the writing is bad or anything. I'm just hooked on the core loop. The game uses a learn-by-doing character leveling system. I know some people dislike that. In my opinion, it works well. There are also people who can train you, in exchange for cash. Combat is fun. Not too simple, but not overly complicated. There are difficulties to choose from. I am not playing on the highest difficulty. More prestigious codexers will have to tell you about their experience with that. I hope to see this fairly high in the GOTY voting, but I don't think enough codexers will have played this, for that to become a reality.

Axiom Verge 2 is a decent metroidvania, but not as good as the first game. Levels are fine, music is fine, but powerups are a little predictable. I do like cthe drone thingamajing you have, and at one point, you will be controlling it. It's funny that I like using the drone more than the actual main character. A decent game, if you're into the gnere. Took me 7ish hours to beat.

Trek to Yomi. I'm done with this one. Again, I liked everything but the combat. It is annoying. I thought that I was alone, but two other guys that I know are also playing it. They asked for my opinion, and they both agreed on combat not being the high point of the game. Took me 5ish hours to beat.

ferratilis

Magister
About a week ago, I bought all DLC for Titan Quest and started a playthrough, hoping to play said DLC. After reaching level 37 and getting into the Atlantis expansion, I just couldn't keep up. Despite the beautiful visual design, great music and atmosphere, there's just something mind-numbingly boring about its gameplay that sucked all life out of me, exacerbated by the fact I picked one of the more boring mastery combos (Defense + Hunting). I still think it's one of the most beautiful isometric games out there, but one that I just can't enjoy anymore (with Grim Dawn being a thing). So the money spent on DLC was wasted, but whatever.

So, last night, I started another Grim Dawn character and it was immediately evident that GD was made with gameplay being the top priority, while TQ is more of a looker.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Playing Kotor.
Started as a Scout, then I will go with Guardian when it's time for the second class.
Taris is actually a pretty good planet. It's under Sith occupation and you have to rescue Bastila and then try and find a way to get out of here alive.
Now I've got Zaalbar and Mission Vao with me as companions and we're in the Undercity sewers trying to locate the back way into the Vulkar compound.
Watch out for those nasty Rakghouls and their attacks that can poison you.
My starting stats are: Strength - 15 (main stat since I will switch to Guardian later on), Dexterity - 10 (don't need Defense all that much, a strong Offense is a good Defense!), Constitution - 14, Intelligence - 14 (I like skills and I want to improve HK47 with the Repair skill), Wisdom - 10 (I am not a caster, my force points are better spent on buffs), Charisma - 14 (I will max the Persuade skill because it is very useful, also a better Force Power DC and some more force points).

ferratilis

Magister
Depending on the difficulty, finishing Taris at level 2 is possible, then you can use all the remaining levels for the Jedi class. The biggest problem is surviving the arena and Bendak Starkiller, but it's manageable by spamming stims and grenades or abusing the AI by moving in and out of melee range.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
But why would you do that, Kotor is not nearly hard enough to necessitate such degree of min-maxing. Sure a 2 base/18 jedi character will have an easier time late in the game but you won't have much trouble if you take 4 or 5 levels in the base class while not making Taris (arguably the best part of the game) needlessly tedious.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Tenchu 1. It is practically a fossil thanks to Tenchu 2 existing, minus the music.
A stealth ninja game with somewhat big levels and plenty of tools to use, what could go wrong?

-The biggest problem is the draw distance. You can't see shit. To offset this you have a enemy awareness meter. Which would be nice, minus the thought that it doesn't pick up multiple guards.
So if you kill a guard and there is somebody close, said person will be alerted even though you can't even see said person. This happens frequently.
2 makes this better by actually giving you the ability to see shit in front of you.

-Camera and controls do not work in any way, shape or form. The camera gets stuck at everything and I mean everything.
The controls are terrible. Tank controls with absolute dogshit mobility make for some great fighting/jumping experience. A small hole in front of you?
You better pray you actually correctly jump over it instead of dying because you character decided to jump 1 cm less then expected.
2 has a functioning camera. and also has plenty of mobility improvements. Just the jump alone is night and day.

-Level design is dogshit. The levels are pretty big for a psx game. Unfortunately, most of the content on said levels is meaningless to the general objective.
Even the smaller levels fail at this.
Just the first level is a great example of this. You open up by spawning near a big compound. You can:
- go to the roof and just jump to the next roof and got to your objective
-Try to clear the compound for no reason and get jack shit
-Go all the way around and clean the street to get jack shit again
Most of the speedrunign in this game is activating a run very fast scroll and just go straight to the end of the level. It takes around a 2-3 minutes.
Why would you even explore the level?
The Tenchu community loving these levels is a enigma to me?
Tenchu 2 levels are somewhat boring from a design perspective but you are going to experience most of the level because of how objectives are placed.
-Piss easy to earn grandmaster rating because you don't even have to engage most enemies.
-Final boss is a lightning spamming piece of shit

Everything else is decent I guess. The voice acting is corny 90's, the ninja tools do allow you some fun to play with the enemies(from breathing fire to a disguise, to triple shuriken's, etc...).
But I will agree that the music in 1 is better just by the virtue of 2 not even having stage music.

Just play 2 or any of the later ones.

EDIT: Worth listening to the ost for this gem alone:

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't waste any point until you are a Jedi, otherwise you will spend at pure loss.
5/15 has always been my favorite combo.
You get some of the feats and skills of your first class (in the Scout's case - implants) and you get almost the full benefits of your Jedi class.
Yeah, just you Sith wait until daddy gets his hands on a double bladed lightsaber with uber Strength, Master Speed and Master Flurry (and Power Attack)!

Tenchu 1. It is practically a fossil thanks to Tenchu 2 existing, minus the music.
A stealth ninja game with somewhat big levels and plenty of tools to use, what could go wrong?

-The biggest problem is the draw distance. You can't see shit. To offset this you have a enemy awareness meter. Which would be nice, minus the thought that it doesn't pick up multiple guards.
So if you kill a guard and there is somebody close, said person will be alerted even though you can't even see said person. This happens frequently.
2 makes this better by actually giving you the ability to see shit in front of you.

-Camera and controls do not work in any way, shape or form. The camera gets stuck at everything and I mean everything.
The controls are terrible. Tank controls with absolute dogshit mobility make for some great fighting/jumping experience. A small hole in front of you?
You better pray you actually correctly jump over it instead of dying because you character decided to jump 1 cm less then expected.
2 has a functioning camera. and also has plenty of mobility improvements. Just the jump alone is night and day.

-Level design is dogshit. The levels are pretty big for a psx game. Unfortunately, most of the content on said levels is meaningless to the general objective.
Even the smaller levels fail at this.
Just the first level is a great example of this. You open up by spawning near a big compound. You can:
- go to the roof and just jump to the next roof and got to your objective
-Try to clear the compound for no reason and get jack shit
-Go all the way around and clean the street to get jack shit again
Most of the speedrunign in this game is activating a run very fast scroll and just go straight to the end of the level. It takes around a 2-3 minutes.
Why would you even explore the level?
The Tenchu community loving these levels is a enigma to me?
Tenchu 2 levels are somewhat boring from a design perspective but you are going to experience most of the level because of how objectives are placed.
-Piss easy to earn grandmaster rating because you don't even have to engage most enemies.
-Final boss is a lightning spamming piece of shit

Everything else is decent I guess. The voice acting is corny 90's, the ninja tools do allow you some fun to play with the enemies(from breathing fire to a disguise, to triple shuriken's, etc...).
But I will agree that the music in 1 is better just by the virtue of 2 not even having stage music.

Just play 2 or any of the later ones.
developed by from software

developed by from software
The original ps1 games were made by Acquire.
tenchu.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, so I finally escaped Taris after fighting Calo Nord and Davik and taking the Ebon Hawk from him. Just focus on Calo, as he goes down easier and throw grenades at him. Grenades are incredibly useful early on, but they lose their effectiveness as you progress through the game (the only grenades which remain effective are the Adhesive grenades and the Thermal Detonators, but those are not exactly common).
Finally became a Jedi Guardian on Dantooine, ready to kick some ass and chew spice bubblegum! Force Speed is, as always, incredible. Some kath hounds and mandalorian raiders to kill, some more quests and annoying Bastila is really fun!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Replayed Duke 3D and enjoyed myself very much. Before I started I considered my top build engine games to be Blood, Shadow Warrior and then Duke 3D. After replaying it my rankings didnt change but I do think that Duke is much closer to Shadow Warrior then I remembered. One of the side effects of playing the game is that now I start noticing fire extinguishers wherever I go and get a urge to shoot them with a gun.

Thinking to either start playing newly purchased Metro Exodus or Redneck Rampage a game that I tried playing multiple times but never finished.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
(...)
But I have now decided to play Gothic 2, I played it once before about 12 years ago but I never finished it because I decided to be a mage and I couldnt defeat most of the dragons with that class so I gave up after completing maybe 60-70% of the main quest

This time I will become a paladin or fighter :cool:
If you play Gothic 2 Gold then mages are actually very good at killing dragons as you can just summon a demon which will just kill them on its own or transform into a dragon snapper. If you want a non mage build which can handle everything then I recommend an archer. If you play Gothic 2 without any addon then all classes will work fine.

BruceVC

Magister
(...)
But I have now decided to play Gothic 2, I played it once before about 12 years ago but I never finished it because I decided to be a mage and I couldnt defeat most of the dragons with that class so I gave up after completing maybe 60-70% of the main quest

This time I will become a paladin or fighter :cool:
If you play Gothic 2 Gold then mages are actually very good at killing dragons as you can just summon a demon which will just kill them on its own or transform into a dragon snapper. If you want a non mage build which can handle everything then I recommend an archer. If you play Gothic 2 without any addon then all classes will work fine.
Thats interesting, Im playing Gold but 12 years ago I played normal Gothic 2. I didnt think of even using demons or other summons and tried to kill the dragons with fireball and lighting bolts which thinking back doesn't make much sense

But Im going to stick with my Paladin build anyway, its nice to play a fighter class

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Thats interesting, Im playing Gold but 12 years ago I played normal Gothic 2. I didnt think of even using demons or other summons and tried to kill the dragons with fireball and lighting bolts which thinking back doesn't make much sense

But Im going to stick with my Paladin build anyway, its nice to play a fighter class
They buffed spell scrolls in the add-on so that they can also be used by non-mages. Make sure to pick up strong spell scrolls (Summon Golem, Summon Demon, Rain of Fire, Transform into Dragon Snapper) when you have the chance. These scrolls will be a great help in the difficult parts of the game.

BruceVC

Magister

They buffed spell scrolls in the add-on so that they can also be used by non-mages. Make sure to pick up strong spell scrolls (Summon Golem, Summon Demon, Rain of Fire, Transform into Dragon Snapper) when you have the chance. These scrolls will be a great help in the difficult parts of the game.
I thought that was different, I noticed I can use scrolls. And I have used them in one or two occasions because on low levels you can killed easily. I have used sleep effectively and I just used 4 x Fireballs to kill Dexter. I only have 10 mana so I had to quickly use a mana potion while he was chasing me around :-D

But I will buy some high level spells for future combat, good advice

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, the classic Star Wars Kotor adventure continues!
Dantooine is actually pretty good, peaceful, a nice comfy soundtrack, which is not surprising giving the fact it was composed by Jeremy Soule and Dantooine is a planet with a Jedi Enclave on it.
The mandalorian raid leader Sherruk is an absolute monster in melee. Bastila is very useful here if you gave her Force Whirlwind. USE Force Whirlwind on Sherruk, then pummel him mercilessly! This force power makes or breaks this encounter, this is a pretty rough battle overall.
The Sandral-Matale feud can have different paths. The good resolution requires you to have a pretty high Persuade skill (which I have) in order to convince Shen's father to let him marry Rahasia and go with her. Otherwise, either convince Shen to go back to his father (and get a nice 1000 credits!) or convince the families to kill each other (an obviously fucked up thing and will give you several Dark Side points).

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished A Plague Tale Innocence a stealth/action game set in France during the Black Plague, you play as a teenage girl who tries to protect her kid brother from the people that are after him and the swarms of rats that are all over the countryside. An interesting little game, the gameplay is solid, the graphics are good, the story starts ok although it becomes too over the top during the final act.I enjoyed my time overall.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished A Plague Tale Innocence a stealth/action game set in France during the Black Plague, you play as a teenage girl who tries to protect her kid brother from the people that are after him and the swarms of rats that are all over the countryside. An interesting little game, the gameplay is solid, the graphics are good, the story starts ok although it becomes too over the top during the final act.I enjoyed my time overall.
I tried to like it, but dropped it in the second chapter.

I'm taking a break from Baldur's Gate 2. It's been 50 something hours and I'm in the Underdark part. Now I remember why I always felt this part was kinda disappointing. The fights get too micromanagey and without turn based it's just a chore.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I gave Terminator: Resistance a go, mostly because I was bored.

# Graphics are good, though some character models look... off. (Turns out it's the models you'll be having sex with.) That said, animations and movement can be comically bad at times.

# Audio is excellent. Lots of stuff taken directly from the films, then music composed based on the legendary title track.

# Plot and story are typical time-travel stuff... except in the future! Yawn.

# I played on Normal - and save for a few notable moments the main campaign bored me. I'm currently part-way into the Annihilation Line-DLC - and it's not impressing me either.

# At the end of the day this is a modern-day FPS, with modern-day game design ideas. Most of which are retarded. The goggles that let you see machines through walls... also lets you spot when the game spawns in the enemies. Yes, just magically *appear* in the level because you passed a scripted spawn trigger. Sadly the hospital level is the first time most players will see this.

# The enemy AI, ironically enough, is a joke. Enemies have pre-set patrol paths, they follow that blindly until something disturbs them, which they'll investigate. But more importantly, enemies have boundaries. They won't go too far from their patrol paths, they won't pursue the player for long. On large, open levels this can be cheesed by simply running far enough away to lose them. On smaller levels the player may be lucky enough to find 'no go'-spots that the enemies will NEVER enter, under no circumstances.

# Once you enter a firefight with an enemy, they mostly just focus-fire on you until you're dead. Most of them stand still while doing this, a few move about a little in the process, but 'popamole' describes this down to a tee. Strangely enough the T-600 Terminators introduced in the DLC at least try to dodge incoming fire.

# In some levels you have squad buddies you'll have to run to keep up with, and then engage in firefights at regular intervals. To my surprise Friendly Fire is off, I can shoot through my own guys without them even commenting.

# The good parts of the main campaign are the opening levels, as everything still feels fresh and new. The hospital-level gets special praise from me as it's designed to be a stealth level, and fits the stealth-elements in the game. (Too bad the stealth-elements are horribly broken.) I particularly enjoyed the "open" levels, where there are multiple paths to get around. Exploring/scavenging was quite fun.

# But then I got to the level 'Hollywood Heights', and the game just falls apart in quality, and never recovers. You're trying to find a scientist who's hiding there, and he wants you to prove that you're not a Terminator in disguise, by doing a series of nonsensical tasks. Including entering an abandoned house, which he *somehow* then teleports eight super-tanky Terminators into, without anyone even asking how he can do that. By that point it's clear the devs are just trying to 'Gotcha!' the players, and it stinks.

# The worst such case comes toward the end, where you have to escape a level that's mostly on fire, but there's only One Path to Go through the place. I'm close to the end of this 'fake' path, and a super-tough Terminator is spawned into the level RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, and another one somewhat behind me to try to box me in. I cheesed through this section by ignoring the front Terminator, running past him and ducking into a vent. I then watched as this super-tough Terminator 'wall-hacked' through the level, so he could intercept me at the vent's exit. I raged hard at this point, and took him out with a rocket to the face.

# The sex scenes are cringy. 'nuff said.

# The sub-titles were not proofread.

# There's a token 'Strong black wombyn' in the game, but only in one level. I LOL'ed when her questline ended.

# In short, except for getting the atmosphere right, this game doesn't succeed at anything it's trying... and it's trying a lot of things. It's not failing on most fronts, but it's not scoring any real points either. Do I recommend it? Only for the die-hard Terminator-fans, yes... but they probably already have the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom