Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wasteland is a frustrating game...
I attempted to play the C64 port a year or two after release. The puzzle elements and nonlinearity brought me to my knees so I quit early; had no idea where to go or WTF to do. I then attempted the EGA DOS port a few years later. The random encounters of trash mobs every few steps crushed my will to continue (much like my attempt to play the C64 version of Bard's Tale III) Considered the Krome Studios remaster because their Bard's Tale remasters were so good but I haven't heard a good word said about their Wasteland. I guess I'll never play Wasteland again, but perhaps maybe the sequels someday? Never say never (except for Wasteland 1 of course).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Was trying to get into a M&M6 by following a suggestion to create an all caster party because apparently might-oriented characters suck in comparison to magic ones.
Plus that suggestion to start with but not invest heavely into earth magic because magic arrow is a better starting combat spell.
MM6pAXPgKd2jD.jpg

I was enjoying myself, cleansed the goblinwatch, entered the abandoned temple and... lost all of my interest to continue.
Not because of some major shit factor or anything, more like a combination of various minor annoyances.
Like:
-The hunt for skill trainers, they're not marked on the map
-Too much time spent on inventory management
-Overall pacing of the game being is a bit too slow for me, with all this constant walking back to temple in order to cure goblin STDs. Might be more on me though but i still can't get that Loyd beacon fast enough.
and etc.

I do adore the general "tone" of might and magic games from new world computing. Still, as far as dungeon crawlers go i would prefer something closer to Doom.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
imagine playing mm6, a game where you spend most of the time holding A, typically at chokepoints, with a full caster party

lmao

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
imagine playing mm6, a game where you spend most of the time holding A, typically at chokepoints, with a full caster party
If you put it this way it does sound very stupid

Anyway, i am back to playing Ashes
AshesAfterglowBhi7Vb.png

This should be a golden standard for a NPC traders.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
That's highly ironic, since few CRPG feel more like Doom than MM6 does. Play it real time, with whole party equipped with bows, then strafe and shoot.
Didn't have any issues with the gameplay itself(funnily enough i already played it in real time). By "prefer something closer to Doom" i meant something that doesn't have any towns at all.
After thinking this through i realised that all my pet peeves are the usual rpg chores that are associated with towns. You're spending vastly more time than necessary in them on stuff like inventory management or trying to find the water expert or something and generally just stand in the way of me exploring the dungeons and genociding goblins.
Abandoned my might & magic 8 for similar reasons, Arcomage was the only town activity i found fun.

Unironically Ashes does it's "towns" better.

Krivol

Magister
i realised that all my pet peeves are the usual rpg chores that are associated with towns.

This exactly. Don't get me wrong, I love games like Fallout where wondering towns is the main part of the gameplay, but usually entering the town and seeing 10000 NPC to talk to just to find 3 quests and a trader is a big "let's stop today's session" for me. I know it builds the immersion, but dear developers - if you are not going to make your city special, detailed and explorable (like in - for example - Gothic) don't bother and do something like in Betrayal at Krondor (M&M, Solasta, I'm looking at you).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
MM6 had the most satisfying loot system of any RPG I played... unfortunately, too fucking satisfying. Once you got a certain hideously overpowered magical crossbow the game was a veritable faceroll and became unsatisfying to continue. MM7 corrected this problem and was better overall, imo.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After thinking this through i realised that all my pet peeves are the usual rpg chores that are associated with towns. You're spending vastly more time than necessary in them on stuff like inventory management or trying to find the water expert or something and generally just stand in the way of me exploring the dungeons and genociding goblins.
Abandoned my might & magic 8 for similar reasons, Arcomage was the only town activity i found fun.

I see your point. When first playing MM6 both my gaming buddy and me hated New Haven and thought a menu town would have been better.

__scribbles__

Educated
Finished KOTOR. It was ok, there really isn't anything to add. It's a Star Wars game using a D20 system. Too competent to be truly bad but too dull and inoffensive to be good.
It's worth mentioning that I finished the sequel before this one, which probably fucked with my expectations, though I knew to expect something more in line with the OT.

It's the 10th cRPG I've finished this year.

:2/5:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Had some uncommon envy of platforming, so started with the Messenger. Still at the very beginning but so far so good, good design, visuals are nice and tune is catchy, even found a couple not very well hidden secrets. The first boss was a laugh but it did augur well, still managed to kill me once so it did its job. Writing is good, and I like the little demon trashing you when you die. Brings on old Spacequest memories. More game should mock the player when he dies.
Only minor annoyance is the controls that sometimes feel heavy, but that may be my gamepad that's getting old. Not a very big deal for now. Looking forward to play again this evening.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Currently in my second playthrough of Fallout 2. Getting near the part where it became a trudge last time so hopefully that doesn’t happen again.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Currently going through the second episode of Ashes: Afterglow
AshesAfterglowsES6Ww.png
AshesAfterglowmYJp1G.png

The very first proper level after the tutorial was absolutely perfect. Feels like a more refined version of the first episode
After that first you're quickly get thrown into a large hub area with a bunch of sidequests to tackle and secrets to find. Pretty nice.
Not sure how to feel about the introduction of crafting but i do appreciate that getting a triple barrel shotgun doesn't require you hunting for some super specific parts and instead only costs junk.
The only thing i didn't like are the NPCs. They talk too much now.

Feeling a bit burned out from playing all these shooters to be honest. i crave novelty so after a few certain RPGs failed to grip me i decided to try SOVL.
It's a free wargame-like game. Was mentioned in Free strategy & tactical games thread.
SOVLAW7i49Pdc3.jpg

SOVLbgQU6gArgY.jpg

Never played warhammer tabletop or the likes but i found it to be very fun. Had the most success with the dwarves so far.
This game is buggy unfortunately.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last few days I've been grinding away at the Knight's Honor achievement in Dark Souls on PS4. I picked up the trilogy pack mainly for the other 2 games, but this achievement is a nice goal to set to fuck around with the game for a while, since I've already completed the game in multiple ways on the PC version. Because you have to go into NG++ for all the souls, it also means you wind up having a wide range of weapons and abilities.

I'm currently nearing the end of NG+. All that remains here is to get Seath's tail (Moonlight Greatsword), then complete the game, grab a third Sif's soul and get to the giant blacksmith to forge the Greatshield of Artorias.

I briefly considered going for the all rings achievement, but that's just too ridiculous, and so many of them are not really fun items anyway. It's much more fun to build an epic arsenal of weapons.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The Messenger does not disappoint. Solid platforming, beautiful visuals and catchy music. Levels are varied and never too long, bosses are numerous and enjoyable. There is also some rhythm, with tricky areas mixed with more relaxed ones, and when you get it right sometimes you cross the screen flying full speed dodging everything and it feels so good. Still haven't reached the metroidvania part, so we'll so how it opens up, but so far I'm having a blast.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat. Good stuff. Like its predecessors, highly atmospheric and tense. More side missions and generally a more "open" game. It's very easy to get rich in this game. You can go artifact hunting, but you need a Veles detector. Also, emissions can now spawn new artifacts, emissions are also more frequent and require you to find shelter in order to survive.
There are also many caches to be found, containing a wide assortment of goodies. Some get rewarded to you after completing missions, while others can only be found by you.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Once you have enough money, you should talk to Nimble (a stalker you find sitting on a chair in the upper area of Skadovsk) and ask him to procure a weapon and armor for you. He charges premium prices though, but it is justified because he is a good businessman and the gear he provides is top notch. You have to wait a day (depending on the item you ordered) for your item to arrive. I like the unique Lynx sniper rifle (extremely powerful gun too, second only to the Gauss Rifle), the exoskeleton (you can't sprint in it, but there is an upgrade available if you find the 3rd tier tools in Pripyat) and the Carabiner (unique Spas-12 shotgun).

BruceVC

Magister
I completed Daggerfall Unity this weekend after about 280 hours. Its an amazing RPG and its become my 5th best RPG of all time. Its gets a well deserved 80/100 on the highly respected " BruceVC game rating system ". I included a detailed summary in the official DFU thread

But I have now decided to play Gothic 2, I played it once before about 12 years ago but I never finished it because I decided to be a mage and I couldnt defeat most of the dragons with that class so I gave up after completing maybe 60-70% of the main quest

This time I will become a paladin or fighter :cool:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Call of Duty: World at War.
Man, this game is really grimdark!
Game introduces gibbing and lots of blood (if you fire at someone with a powerful, high caliber gun, they'll lose limbs and even blow their heads off!)
My second favorite after the legend Call of Duty 2. Play this shit! The franchise really went downhill after Modern Warfare 1. All kinds of stupid shit like "advanced warfare", robots, spaceships, lasers, fuck that! World at War is classic Call of Duty awesomeness, this franchise should've stayed a World War 2 one!
Anyway, the real star here is the Zombies mode. Unlocked after you complete the game, this mode pits you against waves of zombies. Yeah, you get to purge zombies with WW2 weaponry! Play this in Co-op with your bros, mates, girlfriend, whatever! It's just really fun, almost cathartic.

Also listen to these two pieces:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom