Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Caim

Arcane

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Finished my first big race in the career mode of TT Isle of Man RtE 2 (what a boring name) : two laps of the Snaefell Mountain Course for a whooping 120km. Did crash, of course, but I did manage not to finish last, learn many of the most dangerous turns, and have a couple duels at over 200km in the Manx moors that were satisfactory to the least. I'm started to get the hang of this game, it's overall very fun, the only annoyance being the awful behavior of bikes at low speed making recovery after a tight corner taken too slow difficult and ridiculous. But since it's fine when you do it properly that's not so bad in the end.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I've started Hexen 2, and once again I can only marvel at id software's CHAD technology. The game runs on the Quake 1 engine, and 26 years later you just hit .exe and it starts out of the box like it ain't no thang. I've never had any problem starting any game on the Quake 1-3 engines no matter my setup, and I can only expect this to remain this way, and I'm sure it'll also be the same for the Doom 3 engine in 20 years.

Krivol

Magister
So, I am somewhat weeb now - after watching some historical film about Japan in the XIX century I got an urge to play S2TW Fall of the Samurai. And it was the end.

I've been playing this game for 3 months now, watched Shogun (TV show) and Silence (by Scorsese), am reading the book Shogun, studying why bushido is in reality bullshito etc.

Oh and NFS MW (2005) modded to hell to relax a bit.

So, I am somewhat weeb now - after watching some historical film about Japan in the XIX century I got an urge to play S2TW Fall of the Samurai. And it was the end.

I've been playing this game for 3 months now, watched Shogun (TV show) and Silence (by Scorsese), am reading the book Shogun, studying why bushido is in reality bullshito etc.

It's a slippery slope. It starts with historical samurai drama and it ends with having a favorite Idolmaster girl.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It's a slippery slope. It starts with historical samurai drama and it ends with having a favorite Idolmaster girl.
It ends with loli hentai, as certain codexers can confirm.

You, for instance?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You, for instance?
Nigger, Codex has an entire l0li gang around here.
Also check your gay avatar.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FINISHED BLACK FOR FAGBOX

LOTS OF GREAT BUT SOME LS BAD

NOW IM TRYING TO PLAY GTA V AND ITS NOT GOING WELL

THE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS ARE SHIT IT FUCKING SUCKS I DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR FAGGOT STTCORY IF I GOTTA JUMP BETWEEN DUDES ALL THE TIME

BEST PART IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAV SOJNGS IS THERE

MIND PLAYING TRICKS ON ME BY GETTO BOYS MUCH LOVE AND RIP TO BUSHWICK BILL

ALL I WANTED WAS SOME DECENT AAA SHOOTING MAYBE IL PLAY FAGS OF WAR 4

I've started Hexen 2, and once again I can only marvel at id software's CHAD technology. The game runs on the Quake 1 engine, and 26 years later you just hit .exe and it starts out of the box like it ain't no thang. I've never had any problem starting any game on the Quake 1-3 engines no matter my setup, and I can only expect this to remain this way, and I'm sure it'll also be the same for the Doom 3 engine in 20 years.
Even if it does work out of the box, I still recommend using the Hammer of Thyrion source port:

https://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

Many QOL fixes.

Hexen 2 is amazing. Bought it on release and still play it almost every year to this day.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You may eat these words if you try and play Heretic II, this one's a pain to get running properly. But yeah it's impressive just how well every other id game runs out of the box, even if I use ports myself for a bit of QOL (Hammer of Thyrion is a very nice one, looks and plays identical but with some nice optional improvements).

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
You may eat these words if you try and play Heretic II

Akshually I played it very recently. Worked like it should out of the box :cool:

Even if it does work out of the box, I still recommend using the Hammer of Thyrion source port:

Yeah, I did that in the end, because the one thing that didn't work in the base Hexen 2 for me for some reason was gamma settings, and it's something of a bummer to stumble around half-blind.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
MIND PLAYING TRICKS ON ME BY GETTO BOYS MUCH LOVE AND RIP TO BUSHWICK BILL
yeah it's the one with the Isaac Hayes's sample (hung up on my baby) I like it too

I'm also lookig for some AAA shooting/basic entertainment, was thinking about ghost Recon, the one takin place in Bolivia

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am back to Ashes: Afterglow
AshesAfterglow0nsXVU.png

Comfy

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You may eat these words if you try and play Heretic II, this one's a pain to get running properly. But yeah it's impressive just how well every other id game runs out of the box, even if I use ports myself for a bit of QOL (Hammer of Thyrion is a very nice one, looks and plays identical but with some nice optional improvements).
Hexen 2 is amazing. And Heretic 2 was really impressive at the time. Is amazing how good Q2 and Q3 engine games looked on 3dfx acceleration. That was truly a huge leap in graphics.

Reality

Learned
I'm dedicating thus week to Ace Combat 5

The PS2 games big appeal is that the bomber missions and air missions are much more segregated... In AC7 almost every bomber mission has a "part 2" where a bunch of fighters or a boss spawns....

So things like the A-10 and Hunchback feel like a cruel joke in AC7 and you play whole game in your fastest plane since you make up everything on time bonus... Older games make you have to find a favorite bomber just as much as interceptor because there's no way you can get the score goal for S rank on a proper bomber mission without UGB

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Found blobbers to be really not my genre but i also decided to give Wizards & Warriors another shot after trying Dungeon Lords.
Not a fan of random HP/attribute points upon level-up and of constantly respawning enemies. There is lot of minor annoyances with the interface and it looks like exploring the outside locales will be a chore thanks the low FOV and the sameness of all of these trees.
Still, i like the idea of advancing from the base classes into a more advanced prestige classes and the very first dungeon was fun and promising. Also i do appreciated how fast the combat flows compared to something like Wizardry 8.
Got seriously stuck at the part in which you need to retrieve the crystall and the key that are out of your reach. After carefully listening to that rat loving mad stout guy i assumed that i need to use the brimstick to lure the crystal but it didn't work.
Gave up and checked the walkthrough. My idea was apparently right, i just needed to use the "use item" command differently.
I feel like an idiot.
Will start again as a slighly different party probably. Not sure if i want to start with something like 3 Warriors, 1 Rogue, 1 Wizard and 1 Priest or 2 Warriors, 2 Wizards, 1 Rogue, 1 Priest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom