Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Derringer

Prophet
After reading enthusiast reviews of Hollow Knight, I decided to give it a try. Two hours in, I find it mostly underwhelming. Level design is ok, visuals are good, soundscape is disappointing. It is not bad but not very fun either, in a what-the-point way. I basically have no incentive to play further, no objective, no punchy music, no exhilarating fights. I guess I'll play a couple sessions more now I've reached a new area but I may not even.
I feel the same. Sometimes I feel this game has been blown out of proportion.
That's what I felt years ago when someone I knew irl shilled it, it's obvious the people that made it did a lot of 'grassroots marketing' moreso than Notch ever did.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
But the first Rachet and Clank game for PC (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart) has finally hit Steam, I noticed.

While I love this game enough that I can somewhat overlook the technical issues, I don't think this should be your first Ratchet & Clank game at all. This builds way too much on the previous entries in the series, and half the conflict will go right over your head if this is your starting point. I'd advice that you first play, at the absolute least, Up Your Arsenal and the Future trilogy (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty and A Crack in Time), with QFB being a shorter inbetween for ToD and ACiT).
Well, I'm determined to play an R&C game for some reason but I'll take your advice to start with a much earlier installment in the series so I don't get too confused. Did play a few minutes of Rift Apart, however, and was so overstimulated by just the visual style let alone plot concept that I decided to start earlier to sort of ease myself into it. Found a torrent with every R&C 32-bit console game released including emulators so I'll begin there.

Caim

Arcane
But the first Rachet and Clank game for PC (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart) has finally hit Steam, I noticed.
While I love this game enough that I can somewhat overlook the technical issues, I don't think this should be your first Ratchet & Clank game at all. This builds way too much on the previous entries in the series, and half the conflict will go right over your head if this is your starting point. I'd advice that you first play, at the absolute least, Up Your Arsenal and the Future trilogy (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty and A Crack in Time), with QFB being a shorter inbetween for ToD and ACiT).
Well, I'm determined to play an R&C game for some reason but I'll take your advice to start with a much earlier installment in the series so I don't get too confused. Did play a few minutes of Rift Apart, however, and was so overstimulated by just the visual style let alone plot concept that I decided to start earlier to sort of ease myself into it. Found a torrent with every R&C 32-bit console game released including emulators so I'll begin there.
Yeah, the opening sequence of Rift Apart is a powerwashing of audiovisual stimulation, it really takes the foot off the brakes afterwards. The first ones have a much more relaxed pace and are a lot closer to the platformers of the PS1/PS2 era. The visual spectacle builds up over time in a pace you can grasp. Compare Metropolis from the PS2 games to that of Tools of Destruction, for example. If you're going to play all the PS2 games first do start with the first one: the gameplay's a bit odd here and there but it's good fun and has an interesting dynamic between the heroes.

Of course, if you're going to play you don't necessarily need to play all of them. Deadlocked/Gladiator for example is an all-combat game whose story has little impact, the PSP games (Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank) are spinoffs as well and All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault are meant as local co-op games. The PS4 "remake" of the original game is its own beast in its own timeline, so while it might be fun it doesn't really tie into the rest of the series. It also radically changes how Ratchet and Clank originally interact, which was better in the first game.

And there's the movie, which I have not actually seen.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Kotor 2 is going smoothly.
Went to Onderon/Dxun where a whole civil war is brewing between Queen Talia's loyalists and General Vaklu (who is her cousin) and his supporters.
My Consular/Weapon Master is a fucking monstrosity, high Strength and high Wisdom ensure I can both cast and deal high amounts of damage.

BruceVC

Magister
So I have decided to try something different and play King Arthur Wargame as my next game. I never play RTS games because the last time I played one about 13 years ago the AI kept cheating and I always ended up losing key battles and I raged quit. I think it was one of the Kings Bounties games?

But this time hopefully the AI doesnt cheat, I have read some tips and I looking forward to this RTS experience

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
That's what I felt years ago when someone I knew irl shilled it, it's obvious the people that made it did a lot of 'grassroots marketing' moreso than Notch ever did.
Yeah, this game must have also been a blast in the tumblr crowd, with all its cuteness and moody world. But my taste requires more colors and music. Oh whatever, I got it on sale, no big deal.

On other news I've started a new game of Northern Journey, just because this is so great and beautiful. I have a much easier time than during my first play for some reason, but still fun. The level design is so above average it is somewhere up lost in the clouds. Every game developer could learn a thing or two from it. The game is also gorgeous and fact that all sprites and models seem to come from the early 00s makes it even more impressive.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
I'm about to have my second go at Dead Money, I started it once before (when it came out) and gave up. It took some time last night to find an old savegame that might work, the recommendation is I go in at level 20, I don't have that, so 12 will have to do.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dead Money was one of the few gaming experiences I had where I came to truly fear traps and mines which always had overwhelming and deadly explosive power. Oh, sure, you got a warning beep every time you came within proximity of a device, but by the time you heard that first warning beep, you were pretty much already dead.

To me, it was avoiding the toxic clouds and fighting enemies without your inventory, so if you weren't a melee build you had a lot to lose.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vampire survivors, the hardest drug known to humankind
If you prefer a Diablo flavor to your drugs, give Halls of Torment a shot.
I did. Any semblance of life I had before is gone now

I've dipped my toe into HoT a little, but I still have 14 achievements to get in VS and then I can uninstall forever. So fucking addictive. Reminds me of when I was 12 and found a fun game on newgrounds

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vampire survivors, the hardest drug known to humankind
If you prefer a Diablo flavor to your drugs, give Halls of Torment a shot.
I did. Any semblance of life I had before is gone now

I've dipped my toe into HoT a little, but I still have 14 achievements to get in VS and then I can uninstall forever. So fucking addictive. Reminds me of when I was 12 and found a fun game on newgrounds
Forever till VS releases even more achievements?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is done.

VS 100%.jpg

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished Adeptus Mechanicus and now Dota is in rotation. Not sure what to play next. Maybe you can help?

I've got a first playthrough of Wrath and am just about to be introduced to the Crusade management mechanic. The whole thing is filling me up with dread. Haven't even really looked at it but it reminds me too much of the Kingdom in Kingmaker. Which I really did not like. Should I look at a guide or am I overthinking this? Just tell me how bad it is.

The others I'm considering are Weird West and Divinity 2. The Rogue Trader beta is also looking pretty juicy. Really close to buying that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom