Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The shotgun is absolute dogshit (you should install a mod that either fixes it or replaces it, as the spread is absolutely insane).

L2p, you just have to be a man and run into a nigga's face for immediate demon removal.
The strange thing about the doom 3 weapons is that they are very well balanced and all feel useful (aside from the pistol of course). The Shotgun needs to have a range of about 5 feet for a kill and 10 feet to double shot things or else it'd be way too overpowered, because the whole game is primarily fights in a range of around 5-20 feet.
And nowhere is this more apparent than in Resurrection of Evil, which introduces the stupid super shotgun and completely wrecks the impressive balance of the arsenal. The super shotgun invalidates every gun and every enemy. If everything that isn't a hell knight dies to a single shot even at medium range and shells are stupid-plentiful, why even bother ever equipping another gun?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Finished The Outer Wilds. Overall a wonderful game with lot of clever and well-crafted systems. Also gorgeous when you really get started.
The ending was a bit underwhelming to my taste, but it's not easy to close such an adventure so it's ok, it does give closure after the real trip of discovering all that shit.
Good stuff, good story, awesome mechanisms, :5/5: also because we should have more of such games instead of murderhobo simulator #57114.
Now play the DLC and whimper.

Renfri

Cipher
Playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and quite enjoying it. Not everyday you go sneakily to visit noble lady in her private quarters hoping to bang her, just to being forced to hide in corner when her man shows up, just to witness her being strangled by him. So you come to rescue and you end up in prison and whipped. At least she came to visit jail and gave the key. I would sneak for the second time any night.
Update to my relationship with noble lady. I progressed main story too far and got locked out of next part of her questline. Game lets me accept the quest, but it gets cancelled right after, way to annoy player for no reason, I'd rather not know I got screwed.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Predator campaign in AVP2 is really a story of revenge and restoring one's honor.
It's an awesome one, never understood why guys like Gmanlives say it's weak (then again, Gman shills near constantly for triple A studios nowadays, so...).
Really, if you haven't played AVP 1 and 2, then you should do it. They are awesome.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Nearing the end of Resurrection of Evil, and honestly this game is kind of stupid. It's clear as day that it was primarily balanced around the super shotgun.

- For the first half of the game you actually find barely any ammo for stuff like the machine gun and the chaingun, but shells might as well form the local carpets how plentiful they are.
- Many enemies that used to be commonplace in the OC (imps, wraiths, commandos) are almost completely absent, because their existence is simply invalidated by the SS
- The new not-imp with teal fireballs is extremely lazy, extremely annoying, and extremely obviously meant strictly for the SS, because it's next to impossible to one-hit-kill it with the regular shotgun due to its retarded model and animations
- In the second half, suddenly the devs realised playing the game with nothing but the SS is not very fun or challenging, so they decided to spam you with fucking revenants, who are probably the only enemy resistant to the SS due to their slim model. Unfortunately revenants are fucking annoying so all this does is change you from running SS 24/7 to plasma gun 24/7 while being even less fun. You can't even grab their rockets and send them back with the gravity gun.
- Most of the gameplay revolves around thwack-ye-mole with successively spawning nu-imps, because you can bet your ass a new one will always start spawning right after you kill any of them, and the teleportation takes about as long as reloading the SS.
- The artifact is a gimmick and I never use it, but at least it isn't the blatant cheat mode that the soul cube was, whose usage was unfortunately also necessary because after getting the soul cube the game severely cuts down on medpaks.

BLEH AN FEH is all I have to say.

To be fair that sounds a lot like how D2's super shotgun was balanced. Never played Resurrection of Evil, might give it a try. It's no where near as long as Doom 3, right? I remember Doom 3 feeling like an endless game.

deuxhero

Arcane
D2's SS was more fixing Doom 1's just barely too weak shotgun, where things that really should be consistent one or two shot kills are two or three shot kills (respectively).

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
To be fair that sounds a lot like how D2's super shotgun was balanced.

I would say it's worse because the super shotgun in Doom 2 didn't one hit kill everything there was, and also because Doom 2 has more enemies on screen.

There are some parallels here though, which didn't escape me, because I think the addition of the SS to Doom 2 was also a mistake.

Never played Resurrection of Evil, might give it a try. It's no where near as long as Doom 3, right?

Yeah, it's significantly shorter.

Ivan

Arcane
Gamepass: Cocoon
This is gaming me a-ha feeling that excellent puzzle games do like Talos Principle, Portal 2, and Inside. No hand holding, no exposition, just inviting gameplay that surprises and gets ya thinking.
200.webp

Last edited:

__scribbles__

Educated
I'm replaying Ultima IV as I wanted to refresh my memory going into Ultima V.

I've just entered Trinsic. It's always worth thoroughly exploring the cities, so I look through the trees at the outskirts of town. They're very tightly placed, so you can't see very far. A few seconds into it, I stumble into a magic field that poisons me, and a lone wizard stands in the corner. I come up to him and ask him what the deal is with the poison field, and he tells me likes putting down poison fields. When I tell him I don't like poison very much he yells at me that he doesn't care. I drop dead about a minute later and get booted back to Britannia.

Well played, LB. Well played :lol:

Jammed through Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil in about 3.5 hours. Also played the last 3 maps of Doom 3 for comparisons sake. Thoughts:

- Shorter than I expected but well paced.
- I like how the hellpowers encourage aggression rather than just putting you back to a wall and waiting for enemies to come to you. Not a fan of how you have to search for corpses even if most of them you pretty much trip over. You get tons of uses of it, I don't see why letting it recharge from kills instead would have been overpowered and it'd make less disruptive. One annoyance though is that often you'll be waiting in bullet time mode watching the seconds tick by while enemies are taking their sweet time to spawn in.
- I really liked how hellpowers let you tell the hitscan enemies to fuck off right back to hell. I pretty much reflexively activated bullet time whenever I heard the radio chatter. Also thankfully there's only like 4 chaingun guys in all of RoE, fuck them.
- New imp is really kind of just annoying. I'd rather they just give the normal imp a few new moves/more speed/faster attacks or something (and apply that update to base Doom 3). It does feel like the middle 2/3rds of the expansion is 80% nu-imps, they are everywhere like Plutonia uses Chaingunners and Revenants. But then the expansion isn't that long so it's not too tedious to get through.
- Supershotgun feels pretty OK to me. The new imp replacement with blue fireballs I actually find harder to kill with the SS than the imp is with the shotgun. I think because they like to duck down so much and I almost miss entirely. I actually ended up going for the chaingun/plasma gun more of the time by the end because it was just safer than getting close. The fact that they have the leap attack discourages shotgunning unless you can use a corner for cover. I'm not sure what Darth Roxor means when he talks about SS killing everything in one shot at medium range. It can one shot up to Revenants at melee range but that's it and Revenants require some careful aim since they like to duck. It's still pretty useless past around 5 feet unless you're shooting the soldiers or weak enemies.
- The new... whatever it was miniboss enemy that rocket spams you is tough as hell since you really don't have room to dodge his blast radius. At the same time you're given enough hellpower uses to destroy them all while in bullet time/berserk so it doesn't really matter how tough they are.
- Overall difficulty felt reasonably hard, I died a few times (ignoring Bertruger who I died like 15 times to). A good number of fights where there's a lot more enemies than Doom 3 ever through at you. The final two levels especially were quite a gauntlet. There's also some cool areas like the pitch black one where you're led by a robot with a light.
- FPS bosses pretty much without exception suck ass but Bertruger was... almost a fun fight? Takes a lot of tries to figure out when you can use what weapon to hurt him and that you want to save all your hellpowers uses and BFG ammo for the 2nd phase. It required some skill and trial and error and wasn't an absolute embarrassment like the Doom 3 Cyberdemon was.

Overall pleasantly surprised.

One thing that I did think of near the end is how much different Doom 3 must look on a modern screen compared to ye old CRT monitor. Given the reliance on shadows and darkness I wonder if it'd be better.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I was playing nothing but Erannorth Chronicles for a week straight. Most of that time was wasted on simply screwing around with possible character builds. Not tired of this game yet.
Still, in a mood for shooters again so i am back to Ashes: Aftreglow.
AshesAfterglow8A0ARV.png

Definitely going to finish it someday soon.

BruceVC

Magister
I have just completed both Fallout1&2 and it was the first time I have played both games. They provided an excellent CRPG experience and I recommend them for anyone who enjoys that type of design which includes open world and sandbox, different ways to solve quests, deep character customization that matters and influences how your adventure progresses and then no map hand holding around quest locations. You need to explore and ask questions to really progress in the game

I spent about 130 hours on both games and I have added more detailed updates on the official thread.

Now I have that exciting choice, what to play next? I am thinking of Dying Light 2

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I'm not sure what @Darth Roxor means when he talks about SS killing everything in one shot at medium range.

Here's a list of enemies in Doom 3 RoE that don't get one-hit-killed by the super shotgun (at point blank):

- Hell knight
- Mancubus
- Bruiser

That's right. You can even one-shot an arch-vile if you stick the SS into its face. And some others can be easily wiped even at medium range, like commandos, cacodemons and pinkies. The only partial exception here is the revenant, because while it also dies to one focused shot, its bony character model makes shooting it with the shotgun a lottery, and it's just generally a better idea to zap it with the plasma gun to also shoot down its rockets.

This has a very, very obvious effect on the encounter design in RoE, because many of those enemies that can be one-shot with the SS appear maybe 3 times tops in the entire game. This includes commandos (tentacle and chaingun), pinkies, arch-viles and shotgun guys. Their existence is simply pointless with the SS around. Meanwhile the revenant because of its above caveat is spammed like stupid by the end, to the point where in late Phobos you'll have to mow down groups of successively spawning revenants numbering even up to 5. It's ridiculous.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm not sure what @Darth Roxor means when he talks about SS killing everything in one shot at medium range.

Here's a list of enemies in Doom 3 RoE that don't get one-hit-killed by the super shotgun (at point blank):

- Hell knight
- Mancubus
- Bruiser

That's right. You can even one-shot an arch-vile if you stick the SS into its face. And some others can be easily wiped even at medium range, like commandos, cacodemons and pinkies. The only partial exception here is the revenant, because while it also dies to one focused shot, its bony character model makes shooting it with the shotgun a lottery, and it's just generally a better idea to zap it with the plasma gun to also shoot down its rockets.

This has a very, very obvious effect on the encounter design in RoE, because many of those enemies that can be one-shot with the SS appear maybe 3 times tops in the entire game. This includes commandos (tentacle and chaingun), pinkies, arch-viles and shotgun guys. Their existence is simply pointless with the SS around. Meanwhile the revenant because of its above caveat is spammed like stupid by the end, to the point where in late Phobos you'll have to mow down groups of successively spawning revenants numbering even up to 5. It's ridiculous.
Heh, talking about Revenants, it almost turns into Plutonia Experiment, yes?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've played Pentiment Act 1 and I don't see the greatness of the writing or the plot. This is somehow worse than a Phoenix Wright VN or a straight-up walking sim because it doesn't commit to either style.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Log 3:
I was helping on my friends roof again this week. Moving bricks the whole day, filling my forearms with scratches and hitting my head on the support beams. Especially the last one. My more severe headaches were coming from elsewhere tho.

I was at my wit's end with DotA. I don't mind an unfair challenge. But the challenges this week were of the extremely unfair variety. The servers haven't been up to par lately and there have been hours of downtime and laggy games. The laggy games I can live with as the other team is suffering from it too but the downtime is the bigger bitch of the two.

I'm not going to go into details about how retarded my teamates have been the past week as this is not a therapy session. Whatever the case it looks like I've actually been tryharding to climb the MMR ladder. Tryharding kills the fun out of a game especially if you aren't constantly winning. So I decided to spice things up and que in the Russian servers. My gamble paid off.

My first game there was a blast. Constant brawling, ridicilous picks, crazy builds, back and forth the whole time and to top if off one of the guys on the team was calling us niggers the whole time. The last guy was a communication genius. Instead of "Teleporting top" he said "Niggering top", when the rest of the team was arguing in russian after a lost fight he would calm us all down with a well timed "It's alright guys, right. Don't be angry. Don't behave like fucking niggers." Hilarious. Maybe South Park characters are actually real.

So I've been having tons of fun with Dota. I also did two short sessions to push on Act 3 in Pillars of Eternity but I wasn't able to finish it. The last days of good weather are near and they are far too compelling to ignore just for the sake of finishing PoE. Tons of other stuff happened too but this log is already getting too long. So let's wrap this up with a brief mention of the recent updates in Dota.

The Group Stages of The International are starting next week and Valve have released the Battle Pass. Alongside that they have also deployed a few patches that have remade how player profiles look and how much they can be customised. Mini profile have aslo been added. Both of them are very customisable and the community is already memeing hard with them. It's good to see players given so much freedom for their creativity. It feels like something that has come from a different era of gaming.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
To whomever it may concern:

Since I've finished Repercussions of Evil, is id's RAEG any good? I paid zero attention to it after release because I was under the impression it sucks, but maybe I heard wrong.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

Since I've finished Repercussions of Evil, is id's RAEG any good? I paid zero attention to it after release because I was under the impression it sucks, but maybe I heard wrong.
You mean resurrection, not repercussions. Anyway, RAGE has crafting and health regen, so the odds are very low that it is good.

destinae vomitus

Educated

It has really good gunplay but pretty much everything else about it sucks.

- Hell knight
- Mancubus
- Bruiser

Point Blank you have to deal with the slow reload time, probably taking damage if you're off a bit and need a 2nd shot, and you have to generally be dodging around well mindful of enemies nearby. Just spamming plasma/chaingun from long range is far simpler and easier. I don't see how SSG encouraging a more difficult playstyle is a bad thing. Also, the enemies in general aren't tanky in Doom 3. All the enemies that can die to 1 SSG blast also die in like 3s of sustained fire from plasma/chaingun. It's not like SSG is significantly quicker.

Bottom line, they wanted to throw more, harder enemies at you. If they only gave you the regular SG then it'd be unusable and you'd have to go to plasma/chaingun all the time. It would have been a better expansion if they varied it up a bit more but that's a problem with the encounter design not the SSG.

On an unrelated note, the Chaingun and Plasma do feel pretty superfluous weapons that do basically the same things (except chaingun is better vs. Bertruger when he's flying back and forth). Funny enough I just checked and according to doom wiki Chaingun actually has more DPS than Plasma. I was actually kind of feeling that while playing but thought I must be crazy because it'd make no sense for the plasma rifle to do less damage than the chaingun, but in fact it does.

I tried it once on the off chance that it might be good and dropped it almost immediately. Can't remember exactly why but it felt awful.

BruceVC

Magister
I have decided to play Dying Light 2 as my next game, its been a while since I have played a Zombie apocalypse killing game and Im looking forward to this. If anyone has any mods I should use let me know :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom