Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What happened to Beamdog?

What happened to Beamdog?

• Total voters

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Say what you will, but IWD: Enhanced Edition is dope. Same game, but has the resolution/disappear-able interface of BG II AND all the kits of BGII
It's not the same game when you change the ruleset.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Swen Vincke cucked them out of the new Baldur's Gate game. Their entire company was made for the sole purpose of remaking old games until they gain expertese and trust from intellectual property rights holders, and to be allowed to make a sequel.
And then some belgian in full plate armor cucks them. Now they are depressed, aimless, and shamefully eating icecream while re-replaying the early access version of BG3 and crying themselves to sleep.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Swen Vincke cucked them out of the new Baldur's Gate game. Their entire company was made for the sole purpose of remaking old games until they gain expertese and trust from intellectual property rights holders, and to be allowed to make a sequel.
And then some belgian in full plate armor cucks them. Now they are depressed, aimless, and shamefully eating icecream while re-replaying the early access version of BG3 and crying themselves to sleep.

Don't forget the double cucking of being forbidden by the rights holders to create anything but patches for their Baldur's Gate EEs. Was it due to Siege of Dragonspear's reception or simply because Larian was working on a sequel? I don't know, but Beamdog would've definitely benefited from making more Baldur's Gate content and skimming some of that the hype profit.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Glad I have original discs but I neec to look at my gog catalog. I bought these before EE.

Gargaune

Magister
Don't forget the double cucking of being forbidden by the rights holders to create anything but patches for their Baldur's Gate EEs. Was it due to Siege of Dragonspear's reception or simply because Larian was working on a sequel?
Neither, it's because WotC has a firm policy that all new D&D products must be using the latest ruleset. It's why SoD was scaled back to a BG1 expansion in the end, Beamdog had expanded plans to make it into a standalone release but the license holder would only allow it as an add-on to an existing title.

A curious potential development might be Beamdog's work on refactoring NWN EE's 3.5E ruleset from hardcoded into .2da data with a view of offering a 5E option, they'd been exploring the possibility a while back. It would be interesting to see whether completing this might facilitate easier licensing on the NWN EE front for PMs. Otherwise, I don't see why Beamdog would put so much effort into a novelty feature when 3.5E is the better ruleset for videogames.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Because they're fucking woke retards. The whole hasbro of the coast and anything attached is turned into woke shit.

Beans00

Augur
I got all their EE's for free.

I generally don't say this as an adult, but I genuinely hope these guys go under. I find the whole premise of their company completely dishonest business practice.

Azdul

Magister
- Big World Project / Big World Setup still do not support EE
At least on the last one, they do for years. BWS is also dead since 2019 and its successor is EE only.
What are you talking about?
Big World Project - last updated on 29 June 2021 - is not and will not be available for EE. As you can read in BWP English Guide: Most players are disappointed by the Enhanced Editions and say they are not worth the money. Many players’ advice is to buy the originals and use fan mods instead - it's a much more satisfying gaming experience. (...) The BiG World Project is meant for the classic version and not for the enhanced edition. You can add more than 500 mods to the game. Most of them and especially the large quest mods will probably never be available for the Enhanced Edition.

I agree that Big World Setup seems to be dead. I've got it confused with other BWP tool. Various authors tried to update BWS - but eventually decided to create new tool from scratch - Project Infinity - which works with both classic and enhanced editions.

By EE-only 'successor' to BWS you probably mean EE/EET Install Tool. It is somewhat like BWS for EE - only with 100x more drama. If you'll create mod installation using EE/EET Install Tool - and ask for support from mod teams - they will tell you in no uncertain terms to never use EE/EET Install Tool again - and either install mods manually or use Project Infinity - an 'official' heir to BWS.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
By EE-only 'successor' to BWS you probably mean EE/EET Install Tool.

No, I meant Project Infinity.
My bad though, I got confused by nearly everything around Infinity talking about the EE's, that I didn't even notice that they still support the old versions.
Might have something to do with them having their main thread on the Beamdog forums though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Pirates of Realmspace
Spelljammer is a great game! Just a little buggy.
Had to google this.
Van_Richten%27s_Guide_to_the_Lich_%28D%26D_manual%29.jpg

Google this instead.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A little buggy? Ship to ship tactical combat is a mess with it often freezing or erroring. I'd just shoot with ship weapons and destroy the enemy if possible and clean up the scraps rather than board or be boarded. I feel it needed another patch. That ruined a bit of the pirating vibe.

Stokowski

Arcane

Darn it. Back in the times shortly after the dinosaurs, when the Electronic Arts logo still looked like this, the were good guys, or at least good publishers.
M.U.L.E., The Seven Cities of Gold, The Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Murder on the Zinderneuf, Skyfox, Amnesia. All excellent games from the Electronic Arts stable.

:negative:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
A little buggy? Ship to ship tactical combat is a mess with it often freezing or erroring. I'd just shoot with ship weapons and destroy the enemy if possible and clean up the scraps rather than board or be boarded. I feel it needed another patch. That ruined a bit of the pirating vibe.
In the years past, I played it three times, finished it just recently. In my experience, most of freezes and bugs were in the nautical combat. Tactical combat was fine, most of the problems were because your stupid crew blocked every door in their eyesight, so you couldn't do anything until those fools were killed. :negative:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Mad lad Sawyer hid source codes for IWD2 and NWN2 so those loosers can't remaster them cuz coding new shit is hard AF.
Wait is this actually true?

I seem to recall the IWD2 source code was lost when the only servers that had it stored got destroyed in a flooding incident? But who knows, maybe Sawyer has a copy hidden away. I remember when he called beamshit out for implementing kits in IWD:EE and breaking the balance.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
"nooo you can't just have fun in a video game! the carefully crafted balance is being ruined!"

Yeah well Sawyer is going to Sawyer.

"wheee half-orc blackguard goes grrrrrr"

I'm confused, did he endorse the sodomite orc? Or are you admitting to being topped by Dorn?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom