Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland What puts you off the most about Wasteland 3?

I'm most annoyed by

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
If WL2 had been a great game, I'd have backed WL3. As it was character and party building sucked hard in WL2 (even compared to the first Wasteland) and the moves towards Biowarism don't exactly help

anus_pounder

Arcane
The move towards biowarism is probably the one thing thats keeping me interested in WL3. WL2 was somewhat fun but was a slog to get through after a certain point - no, not when you got to Act II, even before that. The entire appealing to the multiplayer crowd is also practically a death sentence for my interest. If the game was still a bunch of faceless rangers running around, I can sort of understand a co-op mode being put into place, but if they're going the bioware/obsidian route of the story revolving around one person, why multiplayer? This is the same mistake Larian made and I only bought Original Sin 2 because I had some petty cash on hand atm and decided to impulse purchase it. No guarantees the same thing will happen with Wasteland 3.

orcinator

Liturgist
Not sure why someone would pick the multiplat option, would make sense if WL2 had something that could be dumbed down but the game was simplistic as fuck and the only thing that kept it from feeling like a console game was the shit interface and inventory.

Frozen

Arcane
Wasteland 2 looked terrible visually that's why im not interested.
I don't care if its a shallow argument but if you are going for a retro game use better engine and don't give it to interns with no creativity.
Pillars and Original Sin are the only one of these type of games that are on pair visually...like a company made them not 2 dudes living in mother's basement.

I enjoyed and finished the Director's Cut version. But I have come to the realization that crowdfunding is generally a bad idea. I can give companies money for their products after they are released and found to be GOOD.
So far most of what I have crowdfunded has been late, in some cases 3+ YEARS late, in many cases I would have been better off waiting for sales and patches, or not getting into them at all because they bombed at retail.
(I am also a hobby gamer and that space is full of games that nobody plays and the games themselves went on clearance super quick.)

retamar

Educated
Not interested in multiplayer or coop in crpg, is just detrimental for the whole experience, I prefer more focused games, when games try too many things at the same time, they never ever shine in any of them.
W2 was not a bad game on my book, but obviously inxile is trying to play on the big leagues now, and by doing so they will try to cater to as many people as possible, resulting in a disperse experience with too many fronts for its own good.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Codexers say that all the time (i agree massive multiplier is pure declining shit), but i wonder if Larian wasn't heavily successful with its coop game Original Sin and its marketing would inXile would have even bothered. Don't see many codexers that played the game complaining about that in Original Sin.

I suspect its just a bit more cargo cult for a cargo cult company.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For posterity's sake, the poll lived up to my expectations with multiplayer and multiplatform development as the top concerns, Gamescomgate and Wasteland 2 itself coming in second, Figstarting related matters third, and not too many story fanatics who care about the Avataring/Baldur's Gating, cinematics, or strongholds.

Over three years from now we'll be able to see how detrimental any of those were to game quality.

cruelio

Savant
It's probably the part where it's by Brian Fargo who has never made a good game and who rode the early cinematic wave that helped kill crpgs in the first place along the way to killing his own company, and that it's a sequel to a bad game in a series only relevant as a jeopardy question for nerds.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Well, he mostly made good games in the 80s, then he became mostly a producer until he founded inXile I think.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
He's also responsible for the FO series. SUCK ON THAT. WL2 is also awesome. He also aided published BG.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
None of the above because I haven't been paying attention at all. If WL3 comes out and it's good, I'll buy it. Nothing else matters.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
InXile. Not how they treated the Codex, but the way Wasteland 2 was. I got bored with it. I can't quite place my finger on it, but something about it felt fundamentally different from Wasteland 1. And wrong. It felt like a remake from the first couple of hours.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
For posterity's sake, the poll lived up to my expectations with multiplayer and multiplatform development as the top concerns, Gamescomgate and Wasteland 2 itself coming in second, Figstarting related matters third, and not too many story fanatics who care about the Avataring/Baldur's Gating, cinematics, or strongholds.

Over three years from now we'll be able to see how detrimental any of those were to game quality.

I still hope one day a game will get Strongholding right.. where it adds value to a game instead of being a banal chore.
I doubt InXile will be the one to do it though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
InXile. Not how they treated the Codex, but the way Wasteland 2 was. I got bored with it. I can't quite place my finger on it, but something about it felt fundamentally different from Wasteland 1. And wrong. It felt like a remake from the first couple of hours.

I will admit not having played Wasteland 1. But from what I've read, I'd have probably liked it much more then W2 with it's random shitty loot behind master locked & booby trapped safes in most illogical locations, tiered itemization and lack of progression BETWEEN weapon types (for me the W1/Fallout1&2 system of melee/small guns, moving towards shotguns, rifles and finally reaching energy guns is much more interesting then the banal "let's balance everything, so all is viable from the start - and still fail at that") and last but not least bad character development system with meaningless, unbalanced stats (often worth less then 1 skill rank) and terribly redundant, uninspired skills.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I heard there were many skills in Wasteland, some mostly useless.
But at least the item progression made more sense (melee -> pistols -> rifles -> automatic rifles -> energy guns / Proton axes?) and probably wasn't tiered?
Also was it raining master locked safes there as well?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I heard there were many skills in Wasteland, some mostly useless.
But at least the item progression made more sense (melee -> pistols -> rifles -> automatic rifles -> energy guns / Proton axes?) and probably wasn't tiered?

Pistols, smgs, and rifles were worthless and you were better off not bothering with them at all. Because of damage reduction, you had to make the switch from assault rifles to energy weapons, but brawling characters could stick with that thanks to the proton axe (all other melee options being worthless).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Okay, so I'd smoothen the progression, rather then throwing it away and replacing with MMO Tiers in the name of "balance".

Cadmus

Arcane
As I mentioned elsewhere, I think WL2 was a boring piece of unoptimized bland junk but WL2:DC was a solid game.
I'm not retarded enough to support a multimillion dollar company through crowdfunding, fuck off. Their business model is shit so I'll wait a few years and get the DC:GOTY:DORITO edition in a shovelware batch sale.
The art looks a bit better, wonder if they fixed the horrible camera angle.

I actually want a MP campaign I can play with my friend so that sounds good. Haven't been following the game too much otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom