1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Why Morrowind is a bad RPG

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Sigourn, Apr 9, 2019.

1. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    A widow in Solstheim will let you sleep in her bed and be “part of the family” if you complete her quest.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    There’s a lot of cool dumb shit in morrowind that has nothing to do with magic

^ Top  
  3. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    In Skyrim you can adopt a child and get them to live in your home.

I remember hearing this about the game and thinking "woah, that sounds incredible". Except when I actually played Skyrim, that is literally what the experience boiled down to: you adopt a child, get them to live in your home, and that's that.
    This is the problem with a lot of quests in Morrowind too. In paper they sound cool, but the actual experience is very underwhelming. I don't really need people to tell me about cool Morrowind's quests because I've played them myself, and they were hardly cool. The coolest thing about Morrowind is the build up of the main quest. And again, mostly because of the lore and worldbuilding, not because running around doing errands feels particularly exciting.

• retadred x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    I just picked up morrowind the other day & I totally forgot it has static characters that don't have routines and the shopkeeper couldn't care less if you wander upstairs and steal all his crap

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. janior Arcane

janior
    glad they fixed it with oblivion

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Morrowind has enough space to pack 10 RPGs. And that's where its problem begin and end.

^ Top  
  7. The Avatar Savant

The Avatar
    I didn't mind the quests in Morrowind. Maybe not the best compared to some earlier games like Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment, but better some of its contemporaries like the awful Neverwinter Nights OC. Early 2000's were a challenging time for CRPGs.

Admittedly, some of the quests were kind of boring like the early fighters guild quest- "Find this Kwama egg mine and kill these people in it". But then you have some more engaging quests like trying to find out what happened to the Dwarves why they just vanished from the world one day. Well, all except one.

As for the main quest, that was quite engaging, trying to find out what being the Nerevarine actually means. Oh, it just so happens you're the reincarnation of a god, and you have to stop a giant mechanical Dwemer god from being reactivated and taking over the world. That's all. There's a lot more to it, but it sure beats Oblivion, where the main quest consists of you do doing fetch quests for an NPC is who is actually the hero of the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Poseidon00 Prophet

Poseidon00
    All in all, the Fighters Guild quests were really cool, but yeah most guilds start with a few generic fluff. You had choice who to work for, and your choices changed actual policy within the Fighters Guild in a meaningful way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There are many words in this thread, and many more to come.

But the final word is ALMSIVI

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=g2komplettloesung
    Playing G2 atm, in Chapter 3 and yeah... you don't need to scroll for long before you realise that many quests are nothing to talk about. the lack of any dialogue skills/stats also mean that too many quests are linear and straightforward and have no checks ie sometimes you just speak to npc 1 2 3 end. like getting money for mercenaries is just press dialogue line 1 a few times until npc gives it.

in ch3 I just finished "a quest", let's call it that, where mercenary says there is a dangerous gathering of Seekers near old bandit lair. I arrived there to find 1 (one) Seeker clipping through the bridge, and shot him for 300 xp. then returned to bandit for 200 xp.
    I wonder, if greatgold version still have translation errors in it because journal states instead about something like seeker burning mercenaries face, so maybe there was supposed to be just one.
    I am puzzled why PB likes to give so much xp for just lawnmowering all monsters in map but so pathetic rewards for quests, both xp and loot or gear.

Also, the famous PB design doesn't hold up everywhere as much as I wanted to. There are actually a lot of places with crap loot and absurd monsters guarding bunch of hp potions and chest (locked) with 50 crossbow bolts. This is all much more obvious in old colony.

To an extent Gothics also work purely on their mood and dark german forests and such. But nothing feels like Khorinis (harbor city) after it to me. Then again game becoming old after ~40 hours is not bad.
    and I liked NOTR area wilderness/npc balance, +- few tombs for the sake of tombs. PB games can't be big. Which is why I like G1 more than any other of their game.

gothic, in particular g2 is an era where I remember also playing Jedi Outcast, Rune and Severance. ima sure there are other contemporary games we can compare it to. certainly being more than a LKM and actually giving player some new moves if their skill is high is something action RPGs should do (if you can call Gothic one with its noscope press LKM to shoot everything with guided missiles or 2-shot everything because your strength/damage on weapon > their armor then heal your 500 hp).
    but when it comes to moving and controlling your character, it still feels like you're playing some disabled person, when compared to proper action games with swords.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Delicieuxz Educated

Delicieuxz
    Morrowind's a good game, though. But Oblivion and Skyrim are garbage.

Since after Morrowind, Bethesda doesn't make RPGs. They make low-mental-complexity Action-Adventures.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    i dunno where else to post this, but someone's been dumping screenshots of Michael Kirkbride being a fucking idiot online in his private cult leader facebook group and
    laugh
    my
    fucking
    ass
    off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 13
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 5
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    creators being allowed to converse regularly on the internet was a mistake

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Latro Arcane

Latro
    michael kirkbride has herpes?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. prengle Learned

prengle
    lol i hadn't seen these. i don't think anyone expected the guy who helped write the trial of vivec to be sane and i don't think anyone ever wanted him to be, he has a history of doing this shit

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. V_K Arcane

V_K
    ...which is a very conservative assessment, probably not taking into account asymptomatic carriers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    I am passing no judgments on the man, I liked his contributions to the lore. Watching him have meltdowns and threaten "legal" actions on people over being trolled a bit on facebook is also something I like.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Roguey you like to chuckle at developer shenanigans, so here, i dunno if you've seen these

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Still the same crazy prima donna he was 15+ years ago.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Carpincho Pampeano Literate

Carpincho Pampeano
    I really like Morrowind dungeons, the perfect balance between the long ass mazes of Daggerfall and the simplistic made for nigger cattle that gets lost easily of Skyrim. There's NOTHING like the setting of Morrowing, there's a timeline were Todd didn't choose the generic as fuck LOTR setting for Oblivion and we actually had a jungle with weird shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    ignoring all the tiny morrowind dungeons that are literally just tubes lmao

anyone who pretends that morrowind was good for its dungeoneering or that it was any better than any other elder scrolls games is a morrowboomer with their head jammed up their ass.

Morrowind has:
    - unique setting
    - mechanics that are fun to exploit
    - good music
    - memorable villians and npcs and landmarks on the map

If you want to be a dishonest racist loser, then it's tit for tat. Here's a completely random sampling of morrowind "dungeons".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wow so complex with 2-4 rooms! There's not enough soy milk in the world to get someone through something this complex. Unlike Skyrim, which as nothing but shitty linear rooms:

[​IMG]
    A wide open space with several minidungeons? Wow, that's so simplistic and boring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Multiple entrances and exits? What is this shit? lmao what a joke. only a toddler would think this is complex.

Not that any of this matters, because dungeons like the shit below:

[​IMG]

Are really only appropriate for certain types of role playing games you do in tabletop. Barrowmaze there is explicitly designed to be something that takes months and months (or years) to "clear". Elder Scrolls games outside of ES1(shit) and Daggerfall(based) are simple, linear affairs meant to be cleared in under an hour, with very few exceptions. Go be stupid somewhere else.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • butthurt x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    There were a few really good dungeons but they were more of an exception.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Very true that most MW dungeons have a handful of rooms. But there are some "real" dungeons as well:
    [​IMG]
    But they are in the minority. Personally I don't mind that most dungeons are short, but I can see how it might upset some people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    I just dislike Morrowboomers, that's all. This whole "TES peaked with III, please ignore the save files breaking after enough playtime, the unengaging, easily broken gameplay, the terrible quests, the ugly graphics, it's amazing because I can cheese it."

I usually max out my primary attribute score for attacking on the way to balmora (I always walk) and it's a good game with a great setting, unique monsters, etc, but if you think it's a better video game, or even a better RPG than skyrim* then you have the rose tinted classes of a dumbfuck.

*I don't personally think RPG quality is dictated on how easily you can exploit the mechanics to turn the game into a joke

• retadred x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.