Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

cruel

Cipher
I've finally beaten the demo boss, after like 15+ tries. Only Malenia and Mohg in Elden Ring game me more trouble than he did. Maybe there is some hope for me after all. What worked was:
- heaviest armor possible, even if it meant 95% equip load and C agility
- polearm instead of a sword
- extreme aggression in the first phase
- almost no dodging, very limited movement, just focus on deflecting
- some luck in second phase parrying his critical attack
- finishing fight early with guardian spirit summon

Still, I don't want to repeat this again.

I've finally beaten the demo boss, after like 15+ tries. Only Malenia and Mohg in Elden Ring game me more trouble than he did. Maybe there is some hope for me after all. What worked was:
- heaviest armor possible, even if it meant 95% equip load and C agility
- polearm instead of a sword
- extreme aggression in the first phase
- almost no dodging, very limited movement, just focus on deflecting
- some luck in second phase parrying his critical attack
- finishing fight early with guardian spirit summon

Still, I don't want to repeat this again.

So he's much harder than the guy you fight right before second area? I died close to 10 times to second phase of that one too. 15+ times heh, I must've died 50+ times to that Mohg prick, and I didn't even bother trying to learn Malenia without summons as I was already getting burnt out by that point.

cruel

Cipher
Oh, I mean the first boss here - Zhang Liang. I heard the other bosses are actually much easier than he is. Butthurt on steam forums related to difficulty is intense, people are angry enough to cancel game preorders etc. But I sort of understand, very strange decision to put such demanding boss so early, while you're still learning the mechanics etc. It would work better as a final boss of third map or something.

Same here with Malenia, I was not able to beat her solo.

Oh, yeah it's a bit tricky to deflect those critical attacks in second phase at first. First phase is a pushover though, and when I beat that on first try I thought "well figures, it's only a tutorial boss" and then bam, second phase and I died to that a bunch of times. I wouldn't call him super hard though, but then I was practicing deflects on every enemy I could before even getting to him. I'm pretty sure I would not have much trouble with him again. Didn't need to switch to polearm or heavier armor either. He's all about deflecting, it looks like they really wanted to force players to learn that with this fight.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
I was watching a pretty well known soulsfag-speedruner stream this and there actually is an option to unsummon NPC companions that I didn't notice and the only one that is 100% forced is the blind guy, so some of my concerns are alleviated.

Regarding Zhang Liang - he's pretty challenging and will probably be this game's Hino-Enma for a lot of people, however you don't have actually kill his entire lifebar - in the 2nd phase, when he drops to about half you get a prompt to kill him with a cutscene, which is not very apparent and I almost missed it when I was close to killing him :lol:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
you get a prompt to kill him with a cutscene, which is not very apparent and I almost missed it when I was close to killing him

this happens a lot yeah. The guy is basically NiOh tutorial boss but a lot of people miss the cue to summon the dragon.

Regarding Zhang Liang - he's pretty challenging and will probably be this game's Hino-Enma for a lot of people, however you don't have actually kill his entire lifebar - in the 2nd phase, when he drops to about half you get a prompt to kill him with a cutscene, which is not very apparent and I almost missed it when I was close to killing him :lol:

The blindfolded guy literally yells it out when you can do it, and even before that he's hinting at it. "Just survive a little longer, you will be able to use the jade soon!" - something like that. If people are actually butthurt because they are missing that it's pretty funny.

Suicidal

Arcane

The blindfolded guy literally yells it out when you can do it, and even before that he's hinting at it. "Just survive a little longer, you will be able to use the jade soon!" - something like that. If people are actually butthurt because they are missing that it's pretty funny.
Well I almost missed it because I was too absorbed in the fight to hear what that guy was saying.

Elttharion

Learned
I tried the demo on my old faithful (gtx 1660, ryzen 3600, 16 gb de ram) and couldnt hold 60 fps at 1080p even in the lowest settings. Stutter were pretty annoying too, even with the vsync fix. A shame because I really enjoyed what I played.

I cant justify upgrading now but thankfully the game is on gamepass so I will wait a few months for them to patch the game and will try it again.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Well, prestigious people play with le ching chong le ping pong voices, so it might be tough to read the subtitles in a heat of action maybe. Dunno.

Parsifarka

Arcane
This game is GREAT. I haven't played Nioh 2 yet so maybe the character editor there was like this already, but it must be said that it's excellent with an insane level of detail (and this is the first time I see the chest slider on a female character actually resulting in larger breasts and even soft motion in-game). The first boss is a bit tricky, a very steep increase in difficulty and truly Nioh did a better job at teaching the player to use the power form to defeat the first big guy —it doesn't feel like a tutorial at all, players new to the genre will probably reeee hard with it—; but after that the demo becomes much easier and allows for quite some movement experimentation using jumps to ambush the enemy, with the final boss being an absolute pushover and my character becoming a bouncing flurry of violence like out of some King Hu film. It's flashy, it's very fast, polished and responsive, and the sound and visual effects when successfully deflecting an attack are only surpassed in pleasantness by the fatal blow animation on the broken enemy. Maybe the demo is too little to judge (it would be certainly disappointing if all bosses after that point were as easy as the third one is), but I'd say when it comes to combat this is my favourite take on the formula so far, extremely addicting. Plus, the game allows to choose different text font sizes, that's a massive QoL feature that every release should offer for us 133% zoomers. Team Ninja gets away with allowing to choose pronouns because they delivered a big win yet again. Absolute kings.

Combat flows far better than previous games in the genre, great fun when you get the hang of it.

Really appreciate how most of the combat animations with one handed swords and pole arms look straight out of those wuxia movies which is a really good fit for this kind of fast paced fantasy combat (nioh combat looked nothing like samurai movies and the combat in souls just looks like spastic nonsense).

Nice selection of tasteful/normal looking weapons and outfits. Options for hiding strapped on secondary gear. Character creation seems robust and also comes with a surprisingly good selection of pre-made heroic faces if you'd rather not waste time with that.

There seems to be less junk loot than in nioh games, thankfully, but it could just be the demo.

Multiplayer was a no starter, hope they fix it by the time it launches on gamepass.

Performance on the steam demo was trash. Has to be improved, you can't really play this stuff at less than a locked 60.

Good demo, far more interested in the game after the demo than with previous marketing materials. Skipped Nioh 2 because it looked like a lazy expansion, this one looks more interesting. Might even rent it through a one month gamepass sub at launch.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
I got a near solid 60 on my 5800X3D+1070 at ~1080p default. Just about what I expected. I'll probably grab it on Game Pass.

pqt

Literate
What? I have to set almost everything to low on my i5 12400 + 2060 to achive 60 fps @ 1080p smoothly. What's wrong with my PC. I should have bought a PS5 instead of this PC. Maybe I'm just bad at tweaking PC setting. A plug and play console is better for me.

ADL

Prophet
The demo on PC is uncharacteristically bad for Team Ninja to say the least. It seems like a straight up port of the console demo with "prefer resolution" and "prefer framerate" graphical options intact and awful performance issues.

There's a small possibility that the demo is a different version entirely but even if it were, why release it like this? What a terrible way to showcase your game on Steam. Thank god for GamePass.

cruel

Cipher
Yes, it's level based - each area is a separate 'battlefield'. Based on achievements data, 46 battlefields total, out of which 15 are optional (this assumption may be wrong ofc).

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Suicidal

Arcane
Man I'm so fucking bored waiting for this to come out. I've already decided that I want to play it on release and I finished all my in-progress playthroughs and I don't want to start any new big game right now. All I've been doing for the past few days is watching Youtube/Twitch. I even agreed to overtime at my job in exchange for working less hours next week.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Man I'm so fucking bored waiting for this to come out. I've already decided that I want to play it on release and I finished all my in-progress playthroughs and I don't want to start any new big game right now. All I've been doing for the past few days is watching Youtube/Twitch. I even agreed to overtime at my job in exchange for working less hours next week.

I feel you, man. I've got 6 hours in the demo and had to force myself to stop because I don't want to get overleveled, even though I'd probably have fun at least trying to fully beat the first boss without the spirit summon. Ran through the second map because I missed one of the mini-banner spots the first time through. Still keeping myself entertained in my spare time with a playthrough of Ultima VI, but of course I happened to have the past 3 days off, which would have been prime time to play the shit out of this.

Anyway, can't wait. Feeling pretty addicted at the moment, which is good, but release day needs to get here. And for the love of god, I hope the demo is a very different build than what they push out at release.

somerandomdude

Learned
Max level is 20 in the demo, so you can't over level too much. I don't think levels have a huge impact on the performance of your character, equipment seems to matter a lot more than levels, and gear isn't level or stat locked.

cruel

Cipher
Fuck it, I liked the game enough after all to buy Digital Deluxe on GMG with 17% discount. Don't want to be kept by Game Pass subscription and forced to finish it in 30 days, plus it's nice to have all 3 DLCs ready.

Reviews came in today and they are around 82/100, which is pretty good - so my doubts listed before were not warranted.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It's 2023 yet armor clipping still haunts us

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yes, it's level based - each area is a separate 'battlefield'. Based on achievements data, 46 battlefields total, out of which 15 are optional (this assumption may be wrong ofc).

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Those fuckers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom