Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

Caim

Arcane
More like Playerflight.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got yet another message that I need to get Dragonflight now while it's on a 50% off sale. I guess they need me to buy it now so that they don't have to immediately put it on another identical sale to try and generate any revenue for their bullshit.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Chris Metzen Returns as Full-Time Executive Creative Director of Warcraft Franchise

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/11732-Chris-Metzen-Returns-as-Full-Time-Executive-Creative-Director-of-Warcraft-Franchise

metzen-return.jpg

Vyvian

Educated
"We've heard our female employees," he said. "And my daughter tools me out about it. She saw a World of Warcraft cinematic of the Dragon Aspects, and my daughter was like, 'Why are they all in swimsuits?' And I was like, 'I don't know. I don't know anymore.'" - Chris Metzen

Late Bloomer

Scholar
"We've heard our female employees," he said. "And my daughter tools me out about it. She saw a World of Warcraft cinematic of the Dragon Aspects, and my daughter was like, 'Why are they all in swimsuits?' And I was like, 'I don't know. I don't know anymore.'" - Chris Metzen

Haha I remember when he said that. He is a cucked little bitch just like the rest of them. WoW is a lost cause.

Situation is that bad huh?

I doubt we will see a substantial improvement. Even when Metzen was at Blizzard, his ideas for the Warcraft story were often overruled by the other devs. Even if he is somehow able to get a gritty war plot for the next expansion approved, it will still be depicted in the modern pixar/tumblr furry artstyle rather than the gritty Warcraft artstyle of eld.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Situation is that bad huh?

I doubt we will see a substantial improvement. Even when Metzen was at Blizzard, his ideas for the Warcraft story were often overruled by the other devs. Even if he is somehow able to get a gritty war plot for the next expansion approved, it will still be depicted in the modern pixar/tumblr furry artstyle rather than the gritty Warcraft artstyle of eld.

And they cleaned house because the "frat boy" atmosphere was toxic or whatever. It might have been, but when they adjusted, they sanitized so much that they sucked a lot of the soul and humour out of the game. I don't believe they'll manage to put it back at this point. Besides, WoW's ancient. They should have tried to pivot and develop whatever WoW2 is to be ages ago.

At this point, with how much staff they apparently hemorrhaged after everything, they may as well ride out whatever they can with the thing. As it is, it'll probably just be Game Pass fodder soon anyway, likely around the time that they F2P it to suck whatever remaining shekels they can from cosmetics, etc.

Caim

Arcane
"Because horny nerds are into that stuff. This house we're in right now? Paid for by giving horny nerds what they want."

Simple as that.

Dr1f7

Scholar
WoD had a really good dungeon ubrs
you can sometimes queue for it these days but people tend to leave the group because it's "too hard" and "too long"
sad

mediocrepoet

Patron
"Because horny nerds are into that stuff. This house we're in right now? Paid for by giving horny nerds what they want."

Simple as that.
Metzen continues, "I was also once a horny nerd. You only exist because of that and that your mother was very understanding. Now shut up and make the night elf titties bigger, so we can buy another yacht."

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Blizzard's decline started long before they cleaned house with the old guard moving on or being fired. It has nothing to do with untalented diversity hires which is a more "recent" problem. There's been no hope for over a decade now. They pay below industry standards anyway. Why would anyone worth their salt work for them? There's no prestige in the company anymore (not that you should take a salary hit for "prestige" in the first place).

J1M

Arcane

Simple as that.
I heard he got divorced. Outside chance that caused him to rethink things. Probably didn't put him in a position where he needs to work.

J1M

Arcane
Blizzard's decline started long before they cleaned house with the old guard moving on or being fired. It has nothing to do with untalented diversity hires which is a more "recent" problem. There's been no hope for over a decade now. They pay below industry standards anyway. Why would anyone worth their salt work for them? There's no prestige in the company anymore (not that you should take a salary hit for "prestige" in the first place).
From what I understand, the wage used to be better because there was profit sharing. Might also explain the level of polish they previously had.

J1M

Arcane
It's probably a little early to make a new thread for the next expansion (World of Warcraft: Backside Exploration).

Since story is stupid and the chances of Danuser being fired are low, I will speculate on gameplay changes.

First, augmentation evoker was powerful enough that "DPS support" can to be considered a new group role going forward. Most logical way to expand this to other classes is to revamp enhancement shaman. As for a third option, a class with three specs that do the same thing would be a strong contender.

Since they couldn't even launch evoker with all three specs on time, I don't expect a new class.

Most logical way to expand this to other classes is to revamp enhancement shaman.

It is a bad idea to pull a bait and switch on people, as we saw from the fallout of the Legion survival hunter rework where it went from being about being a magical bowman to fighting in melee with a spear. People play enhancement shaman because they want to be a melee dps who dual wields. Taking that away and making it into a support spec would causes a lot of anger from those people. Better to just create new specs entirely.

Support specs have design implications going forward. Now dungeons won't be able to be designed around having the three DPS splitting up to burst down 3+ different targets apart from each other, since there will be no guarantee that the party will even have 3 DPS players, and right now support specs deal nowhere near enough damage on their own compared to an actual DPS spec. And if a new support spec's buffs are not mutually exclusive with Augmentation Evoker's buffs, then in some instances there might be 5 player parties where 2 of the party members are support specs.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They should add a Tinker class already. Maybe they could do that in Classic+ if it ever happens.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most logical way to expand this to other classes is to revamp enhancement shaman.

It is a bad idea to pull a bait and switch on people, as we saw from the fallout of the Legion survival hunter rework where it went from being about being a magical bowman to fighting in melee with a spear. People play enhancement shaman because they want to be a melee dps who dual wields. Taking that away and making it into a support spec would causes a lot of anger from those people. Better to just create new specs entirely.
They already did a bait and switch with the Enhancement shaman. It used to be an early leveling tank / 2H burst damage hybrid. TBC changed it into the dual wielder and lots of people didn't like it. To this day it is still a frequently asked question to have these options implemented back.

I gave Dragon desperation (sorry forgot the real name and too lazy to check) a try because it was 50% off and I wanted to just level up through retail WoW again to see how things are. Lots of people say this expansion is good but they can't understand why no one is playing. Well, I can say that it's probably due to survivorship bias. Of course the people left playing think it's good, because anyone with taste has moved on. What horrible crap. The new flying gimmick also got old pretty fast though now you can work to unlock the proper flying again which is imo much better for long term enjoyment (i.e able to just numlock movement on and alt+tab out as you fly to your destination).

J1M

Arcane

They already did a bait and switch with the Enhancement shaman. It used to be an early leveling tank / 2H burst damage hybrid. TBC changed it into the dual wielder and lots of people didn't like it. To this day it is still a frequently asked question to have these options implemented back.

I gave Dragon desperation (sorry forgot the real name and too lazy to check) a try because it was 50% off and I wanted to just level up through retail WoW again to see how things are. Lots of people say this expansion is good but they can't understand why no one is playing. Well, I can say that it's probably due to survivorship bias. Of course the people left playing think it's good, because anyone with taste has moved on. What horrible crap. The new flying gimmick also got old pretty fast though now you can work to unlock the proper flying again which is imo much better for long term enjoyment (i.e able to just numlock movement on and alt+tab out as you fly to your destination).
Correct. Dual wielding is stupid. Especially for shamans. Remember what they did in Legion when they gave them Doomhammer?

All of the design problems listed are simple enough to solve. And I don't think there has ever been a dungeon that requires three DPS to simultaneously hit different targets with the same amount of damage, lol.

tR93jFb.png

10.2 coming in a couple weeks. Rumor is that it's going to be the last patch, since there were layoffs earlier this year and the devs said that content was cut, and 2 out of the 3 Primal Incarnates were written out as villains (Vyranoth becoming friendly and Iridkiron leaving through a portal). It would've been cool if the final fight had been a council encounter against the three Incarnates at once. Earth, fire, and ice.

I'll probably play, beat the raid, get the mythic dungeon mount, and then unsub.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom