Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News WTF - Pillars of Eternity II is apparently getting a turn-based mode

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Riddler Magister Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    My point is that one isn't inherently more strategic or tactical than the other (although single player action games seldom have much strategy or tactics involved).

Furthermore, reaction based gameplay is hardly the sole purview of RT games, any multiplayer game is reactive. Chess is highly reactive even though you obviously must have various plans to deal with whatever the opponent chooses to do if you play a remotely competitive opponent. I don't agree that seeing a strategy bear out to its perfection is the most satisfying part of chess either, it's the adaptation of the strategy to the specific realities of a particular game that is interesting. Finding a new path out of a situation where your previous strategy failed is very satisfying.

Each to their own suppose.

Edit: This is also why I kind of got bored with both the pillar games gameplay. It is a puzzle that you essentially solve by level 6-7 and which solutions become trivial to execute by level 10-12 (for the *vast* majority of cases). I realize that there are multiple solutions to the combat "puzzle" but when I find one and never need to change it I lose interest. This is why I feel that immunities and hard counters is an absolute must in these kind of games, if the AI can't adapt its strategy, at least force me to do it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darkforge Augur

Darkforge
    If this happens I might finally play this franchise. (So yeah, for the first one too please.) At this point I really can't stand RTWP combat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    I don't know any video game that reaches the complexities of chess. Ironically, it's mostly because video games handle far too much parameters to allow strict calculations while playing ; they are not perfect information games. They usually include an element of randomness, as well. This poses a situation where an AI will usually be easily mastered in a turned based video game - in chess, it's quite the opposite. All that randomness and complexity is not really manageable by a computer. Chess isn't so much a puzzle either, although every position can be considered to be a puzzle - but the static element to the problem solving is constantly being revised at every move. In a video game, I suppose that the problem solving is rather minimal. It takes a different form ; in the better tactical games, like X-Com, Jagged Alliance or Battle Brothers (fuck you), the strategic layer and tactical battles could be compared to the positional and tactical elements of chess. In chess, when your position is good, tactics flow more or less naturally ; it's very hard to brute force a tactic, a "plan", unless you can calculate very wildly. Something similar could be said about a tactics game : "plans" can play out themselves when you figure out the situation - but you're never in a situation where forces are quite equal. You always want to be a in a superior position before engaging in tactics ; otherwise, you depend on luck. Skill rarely has anything to do with any of it. The moment of skill, of tactics, is always fairly short, and always a big risk. In chess, when you're in a worst position, you usually resign the game... because it means you lost a tactic.

You could go on making these comparisons. You see players comparing chess and tactical games, but you have to wonder why. In the end, chess is much more like a sport than a "game" : it requires a lot of training, concentration and technical skills, and it's inherently an interaction with a strict set of rules. Ironically, this makes it more similar to action based games, which are beginning to be considered to be sports as well. The idea that these two things would be strictly different is strictly temporal in nature - one would be "action", the other "turned based" - one in time, the other out of time - but all action takes place in time. As chess is being played quicker and quicker, it makes it clearly more "reactive", pattern-based. The last world championship was decided on short games - this is revealing of something. In the end, you have to wonder what exactly is the "pure" moment of chess, that one wants to conserve in video games or indeed, in chess itself - as it was once played in strict classical times, or even in correspondence. The moment of "pure thinking", non-reactive thinking, out-of-time thinking, is purely nonsensical, even though in chess, it can become an extremely abstract, almost mathematical exercise.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hey nice to see you back! Merry Christmas, and happy New Year!

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darkforge Augur

Darkforge
    This will be an unpopular opinion around here for obvious reasons. But I would argue fighting games in particular Tekken or Virtua Fighter are actually borderline more complicated than chess, against a good human opponent. They share a lot of similarities competitively except there are no turns (actually there kind of is.) and you can move all your pieces at once. I play Chess and both the aforementioned games and they all have virtually an unlimited ceiling for improvement.

^ Top  
  6. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Did you played kingmaker is it playable with the latest patch?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Many people say it is and are playing it, but I'm not in a hurry. I'll get to PKM at some point this summer, I hope.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    Bad news, yo. You'll die this spring.

rip

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    Incline news of the century

[​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Barghest Augur Patron

Barghest
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Has there been any further news on this, or are they just being pricks and teasing us? Has the Codex been trolled?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    It was an accident and no one's going to announce anything over the winter break.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Theldaran Liturgist

Theldaran
    I can't see how they are turning the boring, trite, annoying combat (that gives NO EXPERIENCE) into something enjoyable with TB. It will only be more sluggish and more of a chore.

POE are glorified (bad) visual novels where the combat only serves as a way to extend play hours.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This was all Josh's doing. He wants to make a turn-based game. Feargus is not interested. Josh leaked this and expected some hype. He got it. Now, the ball's in Feargus' court.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Bullshit, when mindx2 intervied the Obsidian crew at Pax East 2015 Tim Cain expressly pointed out that converting RTwP into TB could be easily accomplished and he was ignored by the others, this is all Tim.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Tim's way too busy co-directing his own game to fool around with this mess.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Watch the Codex celebrate the news, then keep playing the game on the RTwP autopilot anyway. Laziness is like cocaine.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't know if Feargus is pushing this or not but he probably thought it was a good idea and approved it. Aside from the fact games like nu X-Com and and Divinity: Original Sin (and Fire Emblem, realistically) have cultivated significant interest in turn-based games among casuals/console players, *any* kind of major reworking or rebuild can be used as a marketing premise for an all-platforms relaunch.

Saving a flop by relaunching it with added and improved features is a proven concept at this point.

^ Top  
  18. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Games getting dumbed down for consoles, what else is new?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lord brunitius Novice

Lord brunitius
    What? Maybe its the contrary! Thanks consoles! Thanks!

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    I can't imagine the horrors of playing a game with a controller. How do they cope?

Show Spoiler
    :prosper:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    When the goat fucking king is seeing it as "dumbed down"!

:shredder:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Barghest Augur Patron

Barghest
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    So nothing so far then? Perhaps we just dreamt this.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    The console port is out in late March.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    Do you have a citation for that?

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    listed on amazon

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.